Is Pre-Solo Plateau Normal?

HappyWarrior

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
HappyWarrior
I've got 12 hours and am almost ready to solo. My instructor and CFI just want to do a few more flights and a check-ride with the CFI before he jumps out.

Had a flight today to practice circuits, runway changes and engine failures. It just didn't seem to go as well as other flights have!

I was always 50ft under circuit altitude, the aircraft didn't feel trimmed and was hard work on the controls, I arrived for final low on a few occasions, the instructor pulled the power for a simulated engine failure and I failed to maintain best glide speed and wouldn't have made the runway had it been real, my circuits were not as square as I'd liked ......

We debriefed and the instructor said, "All seemed pretty good to me - a bit scratchy in places but, on a normal pleasure flying day, we wouldn't be giving you runway changes every two minutes so things would be much less stressful. We'll do a check-ride with the CFI next weekend, I'll do an hour or circuits with you and we should be good to send you solo".

Is this kind of "beating yourself up" mental plateau normal before such a big milestone? I'm usually very upbeat and have progressed to solo without any setbacks. Perhaps I was just being too hard on myself today? Part of me says that the flight WAS terrible but the instructor didn't pay attention enough to notice the bad stuff!

Anyway, all feedback appreciated! I just felt too much was "scratchy" to make me solo-standard.

Cheers,
HW.

You flying in the US? Circut is more of a Canadian or euro term.

Also squared of patterns aren't that big of a deal, some folks (myself included) don't like them and fly more of a big oval.

If your CFI (certified flight instructor, not chief flight instructor) says you're ready, you should be good to go, he ain't going to put his name and numbers to someone who isn't ready

Plateaus during training are perfectly normal, pre- and post-solo. And post-certificate, too.

Just realize that there is no such thing as a "perfect" flight. People aren't perfect, weather changes, and for sure don't trust a weather forecast.

In the meantime, your CFI says you're doing good, so keep it up! Remember to enjoy yourself, this flying thing is supposed to be fun! Isn't that why we do it?

Yes. My plateau was cross country planning and always losing my timing and heading. It's a normal part of training. You'll get through it!

Yes, and maybe a little dip. The day before I solo'd, my landings went to crap.

Golfers spend years in pursuit of that "perfect shot". Even when they make one, they keep trying to see if they can do it again.

Flying's got some similarities; seeking that "perfect flight".

If you think you were having an off day, have a look here at the sort of things we so-called experienced pilots...um...experience: :)
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...cockpit-share-yours.98542/page-3#post-2151734

Your solo is going to be fine, and you'll never forget it.

Uplifting responses. Thank you!

Having TONS of fun! That's the reason today felt so strange.

I know before my solo my landings got terrible until post-solo. Also before my private pilot check ride, my maneuvers got so terrible until the day of the test. Maybe it was because I was nervous, and if that is so, maybe it is similar for you.

I've got 12 hours and am almost ready to solo. My instructor and CFI just want to do a few more flights and a check-ride with the CFI before he jumps out.

Had a flight today to practice circuits, runway changes and engine failures. It just didn't seem to go as well as other flights have!

I was always 50ft under circuit altitude, the aircraft didn't feel trimmed and was hard work on the controls, I arrived for final low on a few occasions, the instructor pulled the power for a simulated engine failure and I failed to maintain best glide speed and wouldn't have made the runway had it been real, my circuits were not as square as I'd liked ......

We debriefed and the instructor said, "All seemed pretty good to me - a bit scratchy in places but, on a normal pleasure flying day, we wouldn't be giving you runway changes every two minutes so things would be much less stressful. We'll do a check-ride with the CFI next weekend, I'll do an hour or circuits with you and we should be good to send you solo".

Is this kind of "beating yourself up" mental plateau normal before such a big milestone? I'm usually very upbeat and have progressed to solo without any setbacks. Perhaps I was just being too hard on myself today? Part of me says that the flight WAS terrible but the instructor didn't pay attention enough to notice the bad stuff!

Anyway, all feedback appreciated! I just felt too much was "scratchy" to make me solo-standard.

Cheers,
HW.

I plateaued just as you are describing. My issue was the last few feet of the flare/landing... around 10-11 hrs... just wasn't clicking.. I soloed around 17 hrs. One day it just clicked. I subsequently got my ticket at 44 hrs. Dont look at this as a set back.. every hour counts in the learning process. Sometimes the mastery comes later rather than sooner.

Totally normal......i had to go with a different CFI for a "stage check" prior to my solo.... and being former British Air Force he was a stickler for proper procedures and getting all your numbers exactly right....i had, in my mind, a sloppy flight but i was cleared to solo, and i did.

Normal. Plateau? I actually had bad days where I thought I was regressing. It's early; you'll have better days, and maybe worse, but on average, you'll get better.

Yep, last lesson I had at an airport I have quite a few take off and landings at was giving me fits.

I couldn't keep a tight pattern, I was too low, etc

Nothing dangerous but not my best work.

What the student pilot is thinking; "Dang it! I'm 50' below pattern altitude! I must be the worst student pilot ever! They'll never let me solo at this rate! CFI must think I'm an idiot."

What the CFI is thinking; "Dang! My student is keeping it within 50' of pattern altitude! I must be the best CFI ever! I'll have this kid soloing in no time! I must be a genius!"

Back