SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am in a shared hanger.
I call and say "please tow 6PC to the ramp at noon"

This part is weird
They lay a red carpet on the ground near the plane doors. Usually w/ a couple bottles of water.

I generally tip them (And I have no idea how much but been giving ~$5)
I tip because the red carpet and water and them calling me sir makes me think they are trying to treat me well.. Hard to explain just feels like an "obligated to tip" situation.

Flew with a friend and he said "why are you tipping those guys, you pay for that service already. No, that is their job, stop tipping them."

Anyone here ever had that job? Are tips expected?
Unsure of the protocol and don't want to be the resident cheap ass but also don't want to be the only guy tipping (I assume I am not)

Thoughts?

Personally I would tip - Granted it's their job and what their suppose to be doing it but sometimes those tips can come back to help ya out one day when you may need something and someone to go that extra step.

I was a ramp guy for years. I never expected tips for normal services, like you mentioned. I did collect quite a few dollars over the years for knowing knowing just how they wanted their particular plane serviced. Got tipped a ton for treating the small plane owners with the same promptness and courtesy expected by the big plane types. (You never know if the guy flying the 172 today might show up in a G-1 next week. True story)

I would tip randomly. I've done both shared and private hangars, I preferred shared. I randomly tip whoever fills my plane betwee $5 and $20. They typically pool tips. I tip when I go away from base and the line crew are nice. As a line service rep I don't expect tips but greatly appreciate them. A lot of the things you see as normal, like water, or even being in the front row instead of the back, are extra work for us. And we appreciate being appreciated. It isn't always easy getting a ton of departures organized and when things come together its nice to see someone appreciates it.

I do tip. The places I regularly fly into, I might order pizza for everyone, or give cash. But not everytime. Sometimes all I need is a place to park for an hour. Seems like they always forget to charge me for ramp or landing fees. The places I visit occasionally, I still tip in cash. Never know when I might want or need a special favor for services that they usually don't provide.

A few months ago I went to an airport I have never been to before. They really cater to the jet guys, not a poor old air ambulance service flying pistons. I asked for 20 per side of 100LL, and received 100 gallons total. Weight was not a problem, but the cost sure was. After talking to the FBO manager that turned into a very heated discussion, they finally agreed to giving me a great discount. I heard the FBO manager really giving grief to the line man. I felt bad for him since it wasn't his mistake and I gave him a 20. When the medics returned there was bottled water and donuts in the plane. I am positive it wasn't from the FBO.

Tip to reward "above and beyond" service and learn all the line guy first names. Stay friendly with them and bring them cool stuff from trips. Aka NFL hat from a game, etc.

Recognition is (almost) cost-free, yet will pay huge rewards. Give a man a ribbon, he will go to a war for you.

If they do something above and beyond like sticking my plane in a hangar s a hail storm moved in, yeah, I tipped for that. Eagar rampers putting in their dues and building time I have taken along and given them some multi time to if the situation allowed.

I tip for out of ordinary. Lav service, bug wash, getting something done that was supposed to be impossible (no GPU but guy finds one, 5th in line for fuel but now we're next). That sort of thing.

Rides to hote or back get $5, lavs get $20 if the lav is free or $10 if I pay for lav. Bug wash is $10 to $20 depending how bad it is.

I don't tip for bags...pax do that. If they don't tip I seldom notice as I'm busy getting the bags. Go figure.

Tips are good,tip on arrival when on a cross country,and see the service you get when leaving. When in a group hangar,I tip when the service is above standard .

Back in my ramp rat days, the only time I got lots of tips was Super Bowl weekend. 50 below wind chill and ice all over the airport. The corporate pilots were grateful that weekend and showed it.

I will tip for a ride to hotel typically $5-20 depending on distance.
When my work has a bake sale I will typically buy an additional cake and bring it to the FBO. It is received well.
I figure I am tipping the guys otherwise when I find myself paying for the inevitable occasional hangar rash which nobody admits to.

Last edited:
I was a ramp guy for years. I never expected tips for normal services, like you mentioned. I did collect quite a few dollars over the years for knowing knowing just how they wanted their particular plane serviced. Got tipped a ton for treating the small plane owners with the same promptness and courtesy expected by the big plane types. (You never know if the guy flying the 172 today might show up in a G-1 next week. True story)

Way back I used to trade a day of ramping a week at Harrison AR in exchange for my hangar rent. One day a nice old 182 pulls up for fuel. It was Sam Walton (his picture happened to be on the cover of the Newsweek in the office), nice guy BTW, too bad the kids sold out his ethics and destroyed his vision as a market for US goods.

I fly the majority of my trips between my two offices and yes, I tip. I call ahead and the plane is out and ready to go. I typically have preflighted the night before. The line guys put my car in the hangar, close it up and are always courteous and thankful. Christmas time warrants a nice bottle of a beverage. What do I get in return, a car running and cool and out of the hangar as I taxi in. I don't own a jet but I have better service in most cases.

I tip, and no regrets. Great service should be rewarded.

We always tip, but I don't think that this is a bad thing

Aviation is full of some really cheap people, really cheap. Soon we'll have 99% unattended airports, self serve pumps, and a port-a-potty. Then we won't have to worry about tipping. It will sure help out with useful load since all the passengers will be on Southwest. Won't that be glamourous?

If they rush in at 80 miles per hour with flashing lights to pick you up and take you to your plane then give you 1.5 minutes worth of free ground school (Normally a $500 value) . I'd go ahead and tip.

I generally don't tip if I'm making a quick fuel stop. However, if I'm staying for the night or more and I get some help with bags etc. I tip 10-20.

At my home FBO, they tow my plane out for me each time I want to use it (from a private hangar)...and I agree to buy all my fuel from them. Each Christmas, I tip all 4 of the line guys $100.

Seems like a nice compromise.

I was really put off at a popular FL FBO last summer when the line guy let me know he expected tip and that he was providing high quality service. The problem was the FBOs ramp/tie down fees were very expensive ($100 for 4 days of tie down for a SE) and I was easily paying enough for the FBO to properly compensate their employees, the spectacular service was a golf cart ride 150 feet to the FBO office. I have never gone to a resturant where the server proclaimed I was getting great service and expected to be tipped accordingly.

Last edited:
So far, I've only been tipped becuase I drove a lady to a place near the airport because the courtesy car was out already and she really needed to get there quickly.

I've technically tipped a pilot or two who had asked for a service that didn't get completed immediately by giving them the self serve price (rather than the full service).

I really don't expect to be tipped at all - it's just part of the job providing good service so that the pilots can be on their way when they want or need to be. :yes:

I tip a few dollars each time I use their services. Many years ago I worked in the hospitality industry and had many jobs. I know the guys at the FBO probably make a decent wage, but I remember as a hotel valet I made $2.50 per hour, and because the hotels were greedy and also charged for valet, the employees would often get stiffed by the guests. People would tip, but there were countless people who thought because the hotel was charging $25/nt for parking that we were taken care of, NOT TRUE. If all else fails, ask the guys if they accept/work for tips. I know this might be awkward, but I had many people ask me when I was a bellman or valet what amount was customary. I would give a ballpark, $2 in and $2 out for the valet, $5 for the bell service taking care of your luggage. More or less if you feel the service warrants. Keep in mind too that this works both ways, service for tips, tips for service. If you don't tip, those guys remember you and you will get the lowest level of service every time.

As city employees, we are prohibited from accepting tips. If someone becomes insistent, I express appreciation and accept the money for the crew car gas/maintenance kitty.

If you don't tip, those guys remember you and you will get the lowest level of service every time.

I've always heard this from my parents and from other older people but I've never felt the need to act like that. In my opinion, flying is really expensive in and of itself - I can't blame a guy who's trying to spend more of it on flying than tipping everyone for doing just their job.

I personally wouldn't give anyone a lower standard of service for not tipping me anyway, although it does grate on the nerves a little when you push hard for someone and they have a look of indifference. The gesture is greatly appreciated and highly motivating though :yes:

Last edited:
I've always heard this from my parents and from other older people but I've never felt the need to act like that. In my opinion, flying is really expensive in and of itself - I can't blame a guy who's trying to spend more of it on flying than tipping everyone for doing just their job.

I personally wouldn't give anyone a lower standard of service for not tipping me anyway, although it does grate on the nerves a little when you push hard for someone and they have a look of indifference. The gesture is greatly appreciatedand highly motivating though :yes:

I personally wasn't this way. I did these jobs while in college and didn't rely solely on this for primary income. I provided the best service every time regardless of how a person treated me (and there were some a**holes). I do remember some guys who were very resentful toward people who didn't tip, those were usually the old timers who made a career out of being a bellman or valet.

I am a cheap pilot, don't want to overpay for anything. I also have been comparing two very different industries. Most line guys make $10+ dollars per hour (not $2.50 like the hotel staff I referred to) so I guess it isn't the best comparison. I don't know what you pay monthly for the FBO services, but if I was paying them a monthly fee that included services like giving you water and rolling out the red carpet, I probably wouldn't tip unless they went way above and beyond. I am referring more to the services you get at the FBOs you visit. Where they don't charge you for anything and provide excellent service. If they start throwing a bunch of fees at me the tips might get smaller.

I tip when the service is above and beyond, or when a lav service is necessary. I'll also throw a couple bucks to the van driver. But like others have said, it's not like the food industry where these guys are working for tip money, so it's not automatic for me either.

Down in Mexico is a different story - I tip pretty aggressively down there.

I personally wasn't this way. I did these jobs while in college and didn't rely solely on this for primary income. I provided the best service every time regardless of how a person treated me (and there were some a**holes). I do remember some guys who were very resentful toward people who didn't tip, those were usually the old timers who made a career out of being a bellman or valet.

I am a cheap pilot, don't want to overpay for anything. I also have been comparing two very different industries. Most line guys make $10+ dollars per hour (not $2.50 like the hotel staff I referred to) so I guess it isn't the best comparison. I don't know what you pay monthly for the FBO services, but if I was paying them a monthly fee that included services like giving you water and rolling out the red carpet, I probably wouldn't tip unless they went way above and beyond. I am referring more to the services you get at the FBOs you visit. Where they don't charge you for anything and provide excellent service. If they start throwing a bunch of fees at me the tips might get smaller.
Fair enough :)

I see it as bringing people back to the airport or having a good experience to recommend to others to stop here. What's an extra effort when you can make people feel like they get better treatment here than another airport on the way?

It's a pretty small FBO on a pretty small airport, we don't really have a ton of services (towing planes, full service fuel, a couple other things) and none that you especially pay for that offers a red carpet or anything :p. Just stuff like if you buy fuel you get a night on the ramp free. Rates on hangars and etc are also pretty great when there's space (full up almost always). Etc etc.

That being said, I threw a couple complimentary water bottles to the pilot of a Cirrus who had to make a sudden 3 hour trip here (it was over 100 outside not including humidity) and it was a long flight back.

About 20 mins ago a plane left and just as he left the pattern I happened upon his logbook, bible, and a few other personal items in the terminal. I caught him before he got more than a few miles out and golfcarted out to give them to him after he landed since he was on a tight schedule. I didn't expect a tip for either and received none, and that's just fine with me! Their gratitude was enough.

I tip when the service is above and beyond, or when a lav service is necessary. I'll also throw a couple bucks to the van driver. But like others have said, it's not like the food industry where these guys are working for tip money, so it's not automatic for me either.

Down in Mexico is a different story - I tip pretty aggressively down there.

I got two tips in the 7 months I worked at Braum's (fast food), despite regularly carrying out bags for elderly folks voluntarily, opening doors for those who were disabled, grabbing specific items from the back for them...just pushing hard to give them the best service I could. A total of maybe 7 dollars between the two. I was working there (and now here at the terminal) on wages I need to live off of, but I didn't complain. It's not anyone's job or responsibility but my own to support me financially.

Those two tips really made my day though! :goofy:

Last edited:
It is not "customary" as in "something you do routinely", like tipping wait staff in restaurants. It is something generally reserved for service "above and beyond", like helping carry a bunch of bags into the FBO or putting on your canopy cover on a windy day. And they definitely remember pilots who tip!

I'll put this after Ron's post, and referencing another poster who wrote that service people remember who tips, or doesn't. Not aviation related, but there was a famous restraurant here in Maine. The owner had a parrot whose cage was near the swinging doors between kitchen and dining room. There was one elderly diner who had frequented the restaurant for many years and always sat at the same table. He was known to be a bad tipper and the whole staff knew it; probably had vocally expressed said knowledge on numerous occasions.

One day Mr. Low Tipper arrived. It was a very busy dining room and, his usual table being used as part of a tables-combined for a large party, he was seated near the kitchen's swinging doors. Not long after, the entire staff nearly had a stroke. Out of nowhere, without provocation, came a voice: "That cheap son-of-a-***** is back again." And it didn't come from an employee. The elderly man was known to have a hearing problem but it wasn't known if he heard the comment, but everyone else did.

HR

Wow. Now I feel cheap. I've never tipped a ramp guy:(. I've tipped guys who have driven me to restaurants or to grocery stores but never ramp guys.

Many piston singles/twins would not tip and that was ok. However we had cirrus pilots that would expect you to ,clean the windscreen, check tire pressure and oil and wash their vehicle too after each flight. I would expect these guys to tip but rarely would.

Side note, it was not uncommon to have owners tip between $100-200 sometimes to everyone standing on the ramp. You can make some good money working a high profile airport during peak times.

I have been a ramp guy for ~3 years now. I have only gotten 2-3 tips in that time. All I can say is...Yes we get paid but not that much. Tipping really helps us out :)!

Part of being an adult is walking around with a pocketful of $1's and $5's and spreading them around to those who provide service.

Some of you all need to head to the bank and get some cash in your pockets.

All of these people that say "I tip occasionally/sometimes/all the time!" yet in the last 3 days I've received a grand total of $1.25. :dunno: And we were extremely busy, and no "small" airport. We sell around 20,000 gallons of Jet a day, and between 300 and 2,000 (very high day) gallons of 100LL.

And my coworkers and I have a lot of pride in our jobs. I hauled maybe 10 suitcases inside for people today and loaded 3-5 vehicles. Certainly not being lazy. The majority of people just don't tip. Except the awesome guy who is based that tips $100 every time he arrives or departs. That guy won't get his airplane dinged, forgotten about, or put on the back row. Ever.

All of these people that say "I tip occasionally/sometimes/all the time!" yet in the last 3 days I've received a grand total of $1.25. :dunno: And we were extremely busy, and no "small" airport. We sell around 20,000 gallons of Jet a day, and between 300 and 2,000 (very high day) gallons of 100LL.

And my coworkers and I have a lot of pride in our jobs. I hauled maybe 10 suitcases inside for people today and loaded 3-5 vehicles. Certainly not being lazy. The majority of people just don't tip. Except the awesome guy who is based that tips $100 every time he arrives or departs. That guy won't get his airplane dinged, forgotten about, or put on the back row. Ever.

20k of jet fuel, wow!

I was really put off at a popular FL FBO last summer when the line guy let me know he expected tip and that he was providing high quality service. The problem was the FBOs ramp/tie down fees were very expensive ($100 for 4 days of tie down for a SE) and I was easily paying enough for the FBO to properly compensate their employees, the spectacular service was a golf cart ride 150 feet to the FBO office. I have never gone to a resturant where the server proclaimed I was getting great service and expected to be tipped accordingly.

Which FBO?

This is one of those awkward social convention deals in the US that is very different from other places around the world. Tipping in the US is restricted only to direct personal services like a haircut, wait staff, shoe shine, etc. We are, at least in theory, a 'classless' society.

I generally don't tip. Mainly because I'm a self-service kind of guy. In the case of the OP, he didn't ask for the red carpet, or the water, and we don't know if he wanted it or not, but this is the kind of stuff that is tip hunting. I would tip the first time, and then I would let the line service know that I don't want the red carpet, or the water but thanks anyway. On the other hand, if he doesn't say anything, walks on the carpet, takes the water then of course, he should tip because he used it.

The important thing to me is that the onus on tipping remains with the person getting the service. If the agency providing service decides that tipping is required, then I have a serious problem. I go into Houston pretty often, and they have a huge canopy to park under. I always tip when they move my plane under the canopy before I arrive. This is the exception, but it's the kind of stuff that gets my money. On the other hand, I asked around about how much it would be to wash the plane while I was there and no one was interested in making some money to clean it. Oh well...

I was wondering if I should tip them just for dragging the plane in and out of the hangar 3-4 times a week but then they do the other things and that is when I started thinking they really expect it. Sort of like doc, I like doing my own thing.

They tend to hover and it makes me uncomfortable.
Yesterday I was pre flighting and this young man was standing in front of the nose waiting for me to be ready to taxi which would have been 5-10 minutes.

Sometimes they just watch and sometimes they ask
"Can I get your windshield, fuel, water, etc?"

I almost always decline this stuff

Yesterday, It was really making me nervous. I actually asked him to get us some waters so he wouldn't be just standing there looking at me (I tipped him when he brought me the water)

But they will stand there in front of the nose watching until you give them the thumbs up and they give the gestures for turning out of the parking space.

I don't mind tipping them at all I just didn't know if tipping was an expected part of their job like restaurant servers or something.

Yesterday I was pre flighting and this young man was standing in front of the nose waiting for me to be ready to taxi which would have been 5-10 minutes.

Yup, exactly what I was expecting. This is a classic case of tip hunting. Talk to the FBO that once the plane is where you asked for it to be, tell the staff to leave you alone, don't stand in front, don't hover, don't roll over, don't play dead, don't shake hands, don't bark, etc. You are the pilot, take control of the situation and get what you want or need, and get rid of the rest.

You pay them each month to park and move your plane, anything beyond that is on you. 4 times a week, 5 bucks a move is $20/week or 87/month, > $1000 every year.

I tend to tip at least a "token amount" for everyday regular service. For example, I flew to Springfield, MO (3DW) this weekend. They topped off the plane, moved it to a tie down and tied it down for me. I gave the guy $10. I might have just given him a $5 but all I had on me was a ten.

I seldom have a chance to tip though. Fuel at my home field is self serve and I'm in a t-hangar so I don't see anyone much unless I'm out on a trip and, even then, most places are pretty much self serve these days. Someone may come out to watch and shoot the breeze with you while I fuel.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I should tip them just for dragging the plane in and out of the hangar 3-4 times a week but then they do the other things and that is when I started thinking they really expect it. Sort of like doc, I like doing my own thing.

Sometimes they just watch and sometimes they ask
"Can I get your windshield, fuel, water, etc?"

I almost always decline this stuff

Yesterday, It was really making me nervous. I actually asked him to get us some waters so he wouldn't be just standing there looking at me (I tipped him when he brought me the water)

But they will stand there in front of the nose watching until you give them the thumbs up and they give the gestures for turning out of the parking space.

I don't mind tipping them at all I just didn't know if tipping was an expected part of their job like restaurant servers or something.

That sounds way too overbearing. If I'm in the FBO and I hear a guy come in and watch him taxi straight to the self serve pump in a small single, I usually just watch to see if they have any trouble instead of rocketing out and bothering the guy who looks like he's doing just fine on his own. Some guys make their kids or pax do it for them for practice. Occasionally if the pattern is pretty quiet I'll ask on the radio for the singles just once to not bother them too much or so they don't have to walk in the FBO and back out again.

If there's a twin that comes in and heads towards to pump, I might call on the CTAF and ask him if he wants a hand (because they usually appreciate the gesture). I ask more often if it's hot outside so the pilots/pax can come in the FBO and cool off and use the restroom and get some water while I take care of the fueling job for them so they can be on their way faster and more comfortably.

It'd be really uncomfortable if some line guy was just standing there while I did something with my plane, and I'd sure not feel like tipping them - it'd feel like they were just there for tips instead of service.

Back