Irma

Does it work for avgas? :D

People are going crazy here. I was at the grocery last night (Thursday) here north of CLT. The milk, bread, and bottled water are gone. Crikey folks, it's not due to hit here until late Monday and is likely to be TS level by then (49 MPH winds).

My folks up in DC (near the National Cathedral) are reporting the same thing (and it's even further away from them).

You think we were in Miami or something.

I'm ready. I'm on a well and have a generator and plenty of WINE!

I'm getting ready to stock up on milk, eggs, bread, brisket, pork butt, ribs, chicken, and beer.

--

On a more serious note: My brother and SIL are boarding up their house and getting ready to ride it out. They live just south of Cape Canaveral and got blasted last year by Hurricane Matthew.

My BIL lives near Ft Lauderdale, we haven't heard what his plans are.

F'Ron, now you know what Dallas felt like as a result of Harvey.... hardly any precip, but sheeple still panicking about fuel and food.

F'Ron, now you know what Dallas felt like as a result of Harvey.... hardly any precip, but sheeple still panicking about fuel and food.
I've seen it before. It happens in the DC area every time they predict more than an inch of snow.

Track 2 days ago had it heading up I95, now it looks like it's heading up I75..that's quite a shift:

093751_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Henning's fb posts show that he's braced and ready.

EverView attachment 56222yone getting out this morning
I live in the hinterland where blizzards are the only real natural disaster hazardous to life, and the defense is to be prepared before winter hits and stay in your house when there is a storm. We just never have a call to evacuate. I wonder if there is any kind of a volunteer network of pilots down in Florida and other evacuation-prone areas to help get people the heck out of Dodge. I would imagine that if I were there with my plane I would want to get my plane out of town and I would rather have the seats full if someone needed a ride out. I know the roads get clogged and the airlines don't have enough seats, so maybe a bunch of 172's and Cherokees won't make a huge dent but every little bit might help.

People are going crazy here. I was at the grocery last night (Thursday) here north of CLT. The milk, bread, and bottled water are gone.

Toilet Paper is the first thing to disappear from stores around here.:rolleyes:

That's the thing, you'd have to fly to Texas to be sure to be out of the effects completely. I'm not sure it's worth it, especially with a wife that's already puking. Might just have to hunker down on this one. But the TAFs and wide area forecasts show I might be able to leave on Saturday safely. Winds won't be an issue, but cloud cover might be since I don't have IR yet.

I wish you the best, whatever you decide. Just remember forget about the things you can replace and protect the things that you can't.

For gas availability, use this:

http://tracker.gasbuddy.com

Updated by the public, helped me find gas on the way down to Corpus Christi. Green has gas, red doesn't, black no power, white no info.

It probably found out how much the tolls are on the I95...

I used that app and it's pretty good.

You want 100LL

100ll.com

Track 2 days ago had it heading up I95, now it looks like it's heading up I75..that's quite a shift:

093751_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

If that holds, it will cause less total damage than if it went up the east coast. it will weaken more quickly and the storm surge won't be as much.

I wish you the best, whatever you decide. Just remember forget about the things you can replace and protect the things that you can't.

I used that app and it's pretty good.

You want 100LL

100ll.com
If my wife was healthy we'd be gone. :( Unfortunately, shes already puking and squirting non stop.She's got a rare condition, so she's also concerned about being away from her doctors while she's having so much trouble.

Bottom line I have to do what she thinks will be less stressful. As long as the track doesn't swing west of me, we should be ok.

I just hope that thing tracks inland, the friction with the land (and especially the rocks) will dissipate its force. I was worried it was going to again head out to sea and swing back to hit the Carolinas.

You obviously have been to the "dome" lately......

Lately?! Never been, never will. Anything with Joe Reed's name on it forget it. Heard they had some infighting and took his name off though.

If that holds, it will cause less total damage than if it went up the east coast. it will weaken more quickly and the storm surge won't be as much.

It's gonna cause damage either way. They issued mandatory evacs for low level areas today in my area. I have a shelter right across the street from me, so no need to drive to GA. ATL is about 8 ish hours from where I live, with traffic its about double that amount of time if I walked out the door now.

Lots of small planes have been flying out today as I'm right by the airport and I can hear them overhead.

I just hope that thing tracks inland, the friction with the land (and especially the rocks) will dissipate its force. I was worried it was going to again head out to sea and swing back to hit the Carolinas.

From the time it makes landfall until 24 hours afterwards, the winds go from about 145 mph down to almost 75 mph. So, yeah there will be a LOT of slowing down in 24 hours if the track and predictions hold. Tampa might get 100 mph winds (ish) depending on where the eye falls..hopefully less.

We definitely DON'T want this swinging further west and re-strengthening...

From the time it makes landfall until 24 hours afterwards, the winds go from about 145 mph down to almost 75 mph. So, yeah there will be a LOT of slowing down in 24 hours if the track and predictions hold. Tampa might get 100 mph winds (ish) depending on where the eye falls..hopefully less.

We definitely DON'T want this swinging further west and re-strengthening...

Unless you are someone who will be spared if it does swing further west. It's all a matter of perspective.

Unless you are someone who will be spared if it does swing further west. It's all a matter of perspective.

Who is being spared by this swinging west? The storm is so big it certainly ain't FL.

Unless you're talking about GA/NC/SC and at this point, it shows 35 mph winds..I'd say they were already spared :).

I probably made my best "go/no-go" decision not to go to our house in SWF ahead of Irma. There wasn't a whole lot I could do that I didn't do when I closed it up and went north for the summer. (Storm shutters for the house, triple lines for the boat, etc.) Now I can only bite my nails, obsess over the spaghetti tracks and hope for the best. Our city was practically wiped off the map with Charlie, so we have some experience with hurricanes. Hopefully I'll have a home left to go to in a few days. Stocking up on Florida State Flags (blue tarps).

If you're still in Florida at this point, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!

Last edited:
Plenty of airliners departing Palm Beach, but two airliners still inbound as well as a King Air that's due after dark. Very few small piston planes in the ATC system.

upload_2017-9-8_16-15-41.png

Well the 5pm track is even worse. I'm not sure what to do now. Now it looks like SC or NC is the best destination, but I don't trust that it won't shift again... and the wife really does not want to go.

Well the 5pm track is even worse. I'm not sure what to do now. Now it looks like SC or NC is the best destination, but I don't trust that it won't shift again... and the wife really does not want to go.

Man, you are in a tough spot. I don't know what I would do in your shoes. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Man, you are in a tough spot. I don't know what I would do in your shoes. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Just pray that sucker doesn't some thru AL Mike. Looks like the NE part of Bama will get some of it but should be a tropical depression by then.

Not there currently, but have a place in Cedar Key - not looking good. Entirety of Levy County evacuation ordered this afternoon.

If my wife was healthy we'd be gone. :( Unfortunately, . . . ..

Salty, if no one has told you recently: you are a Saint! I know what caring for a loved one takes. Be safe, and do what is best.

Back