Irma

And then there was Houston, where the government never ordered an evacuation for fear of what such a mass exodus would cause. The last time Houston evacuated, more people were killed in traffic than by the hurricane. And we had people whining that they were not told to evacuate.
I remember this. I was one of the ones who had to evacuate for Rita because I was in training in Houston. The thing is, Rita was right after Katrina, and Katrina was fresh in everyone's memories, just like Harvey is now. I think it would be a hard decision for people in charge to make since hurricanes are not 100% predictable.

Or could be a ramen event!

2014-05-08-15-27-49-e1403367087747.jpg

Hey Mark,

That don't look bad. One of my favorite dishes when I don't want meat (seldom) I boil up some pasta then add some Tostitos hot salsa. Makes for a lively meal I'm sure even Cajun would like. ;););)

I remember this. I was one of the ones who had to evacuate for Rita because I was in training in Houston. The thing is, Rita was right after Katrina, and Katrina was fresh in everyone's memories, just like Harvey is now. I think it would be a hard decision for people in charge to make since hurricanes are not 100% predictable.

And therein lies the rub. At this time no one including the NWS knows where this beast is going to make landfall. Should it proceed into the gulf and hit Houston again I don't want to think about the possible outcome.

Used to eat that shet when I was in Korea and drinking heavily. Boil the water and toss a raw egg in with the ramen and in 2-3 mins a meal w/ protein!

145453_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

And finally we see the official track reflect the reality of what the private forecasters have been saying for over a week -

paralleling the coast as a Cat III - prob in to Hilton Head as a Cat II or strong Cat I.

And therein lies the rub. At this time no one including the NWS knows where this beast is going to make landfall. Should it proceed into the gulf and hit Houston again I don't want to think about the possible outcome.

But hypothetically speaking, wouldn't Houston be the best place for it to hit? Why wreck another town?

St. Thomas TAF
2017/09/06 16:42 TIST 061534Z 0616/0712 34030G50KT 6SM SHRA BKN022 OVC050 FM061630 32070G120KT 5SM SHRA BKN025 OVC050 FM061900 27090G120KT 4SM SHRA BKN015 OVC030 FM062300 23050G70KT P6SM -SHRA BKN025 OVC060 FM070200 18040G60KT P6SM -SHRA SCT025 BKN060 FM070800 15025G35KT P6SM SCT060

11:53AM LIFR 320° 51 kt Overcast
0.50 miles
arrow_down_red.gif
26° 78° 26° 78° 100% — Rain, Fog, Wind gusting to 76kts

We made the call that we're going to spend the rest of the afternoon battening down the house, get a nights sleep and head north before dawn tomorrow morning. We've got a full tank of gas and food/water/diapers for the journey.

It's funny, my wife likes to point out that the longest road trip I'll do is about two and a half hours. Any more than that and I take a plane. This will be probably closer to twenty by the time we're home.

My in-laws are going to ride it out at their home down here. Based on the latest forecasts that seems like a reasonable decision for them. They're well stocked and prepared for a week without power.

My brother in law is still holding out hope for the commercial flight for which he already holds a ticket Saturday morning. If that works out he'll beat is home. If it doesn't, he'll hole up with his parents. If it weren't for the kids this is what I'd be doing. We're pretty far in-land, on relatively high ground, but not extremely exposed to wind. I think the house will hold up just fine, and I'm sure I could survive a week without power or services. But I couldn't do it with three kids, so we're not going to take the risk.

We are leaving a Dropcam up in the house so we can watch until the power or internet goes out.

View attachment 56180

And finally we see the official track reflect the reality of what the private forecasters have been saying for over a week -

paralleling the coast as a Cat III - prob in to Hilton Head as a Cat II or strong Cat I.
Do keep in mind that storm is currently larger than the Foridian peninsula. The center could remain offshore and still wreak plenty of havoc.

We made the call that we're going to spend the rest of the afternoon battening down the house, get a nights sleep and head north before dawn tomorrow morning. We've got a full tank of gas and food/water/diapers for the journey.

It's funny, my wife likes to point out that the longest road trip I'll do is about two and a half hours. Any more than that and I take a plane. This will be probably closer to twenty by the time we're home.

My in-laws are going to ride it out at their home down here. Based on the latest forecasts that seems like a reasonable decision for them. They're well stocked and prepared for a week without power.

My brother in law is still holding out hope for the commercial flight for which he already holds a ticket Saturday morning. If that works out he'll beat is home. If it doesn't, he'll hole up with his parents. If it weren't for the kids this is what I'd be doing. We're pretty far in-land, on relatively high ground, but not extremely exposed to wind. I think the house will hold up just fine, and I'm sure I could survive a week without power or services. But I couldn't do it with three kids, so we're not going to take the risk.

We are leaving a Dropcam up in the house so we can watch until the power or internet goes out.

Good luck.

Do keep in mind that storm is currently larger than the Foridian peninsula. The center could remain offshore and still wreak plenty of havoc.
look at the wind fields - the truly catastrophic 120 kt plus winds are very close to the center - the storm is huge - but the truly bad winds are only about as wide as the Eclipse centerline was .. .

Local weather broadcaster, Brian James of NBC 5, overlaid Irma onto the map of Texas....

"As a size comparison, I overlaid an image of Hurricane Irma over the state of Texas. Irma is not just a powerful hurricane, it's also massive."​

21272331_2039125452974397_4405993528104072406_n.jpg

It's the size of Texas!

We were hit 3 times within 6 weeks in 2004 - Charley, Francis, and Jeanne. Difficult, but not tragic. We'll stay here for this one and we'll manage. We're up on the ridge in the center of the state, so flooding isn't a concern. Wind damage is the real worry here, including the tornadoes that canes usually spawn.

We're well stocked with food, batteries, gas for the gennie, hay for the horses, etc. Though I should probably pick up some more ammo tomorrow...

We were hit 3 times within 6 weeks in 2004 - Charley, Francis, and Jeanne. Difficult, but not tragic. We'll stay here for this one and we'll manage. We're up on the ridge in the center of the state, so flooding isn't a concern. Wind damage is the real worry here, including the tornadoes that canes usually spawn.

We're well stocked with food, batteries, gas for the gennie, hay for the horses, etc. Though I should probably pick up some more ammo tomorrow...

Don't forget the beer! I found it's the only thing at the stores that is still in stock..for now...heh :)

American has Xcld everything in MIA from late afternoon Friday thru Sunday.

Stopped by Publix on my way home this evening and was surprised to see that eggs were nearly gone. I suppose the locals are planning to feel the effects up here as well. :rolleyes:

An extended family member is evacuating Orlando to St Louis (closest family). Said they probably wouldn't be going if they didn't have kids but didn't think it was worth waiting and getting stuck in even worse traffic. They are somewhere in Georgia right now.

I had to drive (work related) to Orlando from just north of West Palm Beach yesterday, typically a 2 hour 15 minute drive door to door. It took me just over 5 hours with all the traffic.

I had to drive (work related) to Orlando from just north of West Palm Beach yesterday, typically a 2 hour 15 minute drive door to door. It took me just over 5 hours with all the traffic.

My morning commute has gone from about 15 minutes to over an hour. And almost double that to pickup my son from school and get back home. Stay clear of the interstate unless you ABSOLUTELY have to do it.

Most of the back roads around me are open, thankfully.

While some people are planning to evacuate from Orlando, we are planning on evacuating TO Orlando, from Daytona Beach. It is usually about an hour. I am wondering what traffic will be like on Saturday morning.

While some people are planning to evacuate from Orlando, we are planning on evacuating TO Orlando, from Daytona Beach. It is usually about an hour. I am wondering what traffic will be like on Saturday morning.

I think a lot of people are using I75 to evacuate, if you're coming from the east, I4 will probably be busier than usual. The storm looks like (on its current path) that its riding right up I95, so that might be why people are avoiding that road.

I'd be looking at some of the toll roads that are free right now, or back roads instead of taking any major highways..especially if you have time.

I think a lot of people are using I75 to evacuate, if you're coming from the east, I4 will probably be busier than usual. The storm looks like (on its current path) that its riding right up I95, so that might be why people are avoiding that road.

I'd be looking at some of the toll roads that are free right now, or back roads instead of taking any major highways..especially if you have time.

I agree but the second challenge is running out of gas before you get to where you are going.

I agree but the second challenge is running out of gas before you get to where you are going.

Yep. I heard that it was illegal or at least very bad form to fill up anything but vehicles at gas stations along the interstate, but people are doing it. My co worker was trying to fill up her car today and some jackalope was gassing up like 20 cans in front of her.

My son attends UCF in Orlando. Classes were cancelled yesterday through Monday. We have a delta flight tomorrow morning to get him back to Georgia. I just read that Orlando international is cancelling commercial flights starting Saturday.

My son attends UCF in Orlando. Classes were cancelled yesterday through Monday. We have a delta flight tomorrow morning to get him back to Georgia. I just read that Orlando international is cancelling commercial flights starting Saturday.

Be careful, it looks like you guys are going to get hit pretty bad too:

IRMA.jpg

Back