Iphone lightning port cleaner

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Is there an effective tool for cleaning the lightning charging port on an Iphone SXmax?

Periodically my Iphone charging port becomes erratic. I have tried to clean it with a tooth pick but am usually unsuccessful. There is an iphone repair shop nearby that has cleaned it for me for free a couple of times. It then works well (for a little while). This time they charged me $33 to clean it.

I see tools on Amazon that look like one or two of the half dozen or more included tools might work, but I just want one to clean the charging port.

I use tweezers and canned air to clean the lint out of my charging ports. You need pretty small tweezers, but that way you can grab the debris. The specific size tweezer I use is 5-SA, which is a small, precision tip. I think you can buy it specifically if you search for that size, available from various brands. Still takes a few minutes to clean everything out, maybe there is something better, but seems to work ok for me.

The lightning port is very open. I'll clean it with the lead from a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil

I use the gum pokey stick part of floss sticks. Cheap, non-conductive, works perfectly well.

Flat toothpick, dental pick, straight pin, canned air.

Don't bother with the Lightning port and just use a wireless Qi charger. Open standards are better than proprietary interfaces anyway.

maybe put the phone in a case that covers that port most of the time? I've only had to clean a charging port on a phone once, used canned air to get the lint out.

maybe put the phone in a case that covers that port most of the time? I've only had to clean a charging port on a phone once, used canned air to get the lint out.

My last iPhone case had a flap to cover the charging port. Instead of a belt clip holder I just usually slip my phone in a pocket. Since I've trained myself to insert it in my pocket with the charging port facing down I haven't had an issue. If I were to clean it I'd likely use a blast of electronic tuner cleaner.

I have some of this stuff for use on my audio gear. Highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-G5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Enhancer/dp/B00FC4YO60

My last iPhone case had a flap to cover the charging port. Instead of a belt clip holder I just usually slip my phone in a pocket. Since I've trained myself to insert it in my pocket with the charging port facing down I haven't had an issue. If I were to clean it I'd likely use a blast of electronic tuner cleaner.

I have some of this stuff for use on my audio gear. Highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-G5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Enhancer/dp/B00FC4YO60
Good ideas. I'll have to look for a case that has a charging port protector flap. But I really like the case I have that allows me to carry my license, medical card, a credit card and a $20 bill. No more wallet for me.

I'll try putting it in my pocket "charging port down".

I have read that you shouldn't use canned air to clean it, but I forget why. Perhaps moisture. The DeoxIT probably doesn't have that problem,
But for some reason, this, in the description of the DeoxIT bothers me even more than it used to (and it used to really bother me):
About this item
  • Enhances, protects, lubricates, and maintains optimum signal quality
  • Reduces intermittent connections, arcing, and RFI as well as wear and abrasion
  • Provides long-lasting protection from oxidation on plated surfaces
  • Country of Origin: China

2369C9C3-EB3E-4C2B-82E5-D2DC34083CE3.jpeg I just tried a disposable dental cleaner tool made by GUM, they are readily available and have decent ‘hookiness’ to pull out lint & dust.

I cut the tip off to make it blunt which fits the lightning port better.
It’s not much good at pulling out wax/grease/oil I wouldn’t think:

The lightning port is very open. I'll clean it with the lead from a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil

Sounds like a bad idea. Graphite is a good conductor, so leaving behind some residue might create a short across contacts.

I just cleaned everybody and had best success by (powering down then) pushing alcohol swabs (thin, square, injection-site prep cotton) into the port with a toothpick then using the toothpick to swipe left and right, extract, repeat.
Also wiped off all male plugs with the prep swabs.

Sounds like a bad idea. Graphite is a good conductor, so leaving behind some residue might create a short across contacts.
It fits down there and is more available to me than other objects. The lint is rather loose so I'm picking it out, not rubbing it on anything.

View attachment 114889 I just tried a disposable dental cleaner tool made by GUM, they are readily available and have decent ‘hookiness’ to pull out lint & dust.

I cut the tip off to make it blunt which fits the lightning port better.
It’s not much good at pulling out wax/grease/oil I wouldn’t think:
Great idea. I might even have a few of those laying around.

I agree, but somedays I think it might be time to start learning the language ...
It's happening now....我需要懂一点中文. Many of the PoA members won't be happy to hear this, but we did it to ourselves as a society. We wanted things at a low cost, and that's what we got.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/wmchina.html

We also outsourced R&D, the image below is from an AMERICAN Chemical Society journal- see the names, all from China. China and India also manufacture most of the pharmaceutical APIs (active pharmaceutical ingredients).

Maybe the Chinese government (the people are just fine) being obnoxious recently will help to bring this work back to the USA. But I think the people with the capital will just move everything to India.

upload_2023-2-12_15-18-52.png

Many of the PoA members won't be happy to hear this, but we did it to ourselves as a society. We wanted things at a low cost, and that's what we got.
Most people won't mind you saying that. Most people believe they are not responsible. Most people will TELL you that they would rather pay for quality, but when push comes to shove MOST people buy the less expensive item, regardless of where it came from.

Most people believe they are not responsible. Most people will TELL you that they would rather pay for quality, but when push comes to shove MOST people buy the less expensive item, regardless of where it came from.

Mostly true ... but finding some of the items needed that are "made is USA" is becoming difficult. The other side of the coin is that because of financial pressure many households buying the lesser priced item may be doing so because the cost leaves little to no options. This could get political in a hurry so I'll digress ...

Most people won't mind you saying that. Most people believe they are not responsible. Most people will TELL you that they would rather pay for quality, but when push comes to shove MOST people buy the less expensive item, regardless of where it came from.
You make a good point.
Mostly true ... but finding some of the items needed that are "made is USA" is becoming difficult. The other side of the coin is that because of financial pressure many households buying the lesser priced item may be doing so because the cost leaves little to no options. This could get political in a hurry so I'll digress ...
Is it possible that some of the "financial pressure" you noted is partly because we sent our manufacturing overseas? It's possible the same thing would have happened if we kept the manufacturing here but automated a lot of the jobs, too.

The doesn't explain the research going overseas, as that is removed from the direct cost of goods. Basic R&D isn't supported by companies as much as it used to be.

You make a good point.

Is it possible that some of the "financial pressure" you noted is partly because we sent our manufacturing overseas? It's possible the same thing would have happened if we kept the manufacturing here but automated a lot of the jobs, too.

The doesn't explain the research going overseas, as that is removed from the direct cost of goods. Basic R&D isn't supported by companies as much as it used to be.
Is it cheaper to buy a successful start up that focused on research than funding research with 50% (pick a number) likelihood of success?

is it cheaper to start up in India than USA?

Just a guess

Is it cheaper to buy a successful start up that focused on research than funding research with 50% (pick a number) likelihood of success?

is it cheaper to start up in India than USA?

Just a guess
Sciences aren't emphasized in the USA anymore. While your guesses do play a role, there are fewer people with the skills and training to do science in the USA anymore.

I just bend a paperclip to dig and then blow on it until no more fuzz comes out. Pretty sure it's just compressed pocket lint that builds up and prevents the charger plug from going in all the way.

The cables wear out all the time too of course. I have switched to having a wireless charger stand by my bed but I'm still using cables in vehicles and elsewhere. This is also why I don't want a case that covers the port, I'm just way too lazy to fumble with some tiny fiddly piece of plastic/silicone every time I need to plug the phone in.

Plastic dental flossers with a slightly curved pick at the other end are absolutely ideal for this.

83275284-light-blue-dental-floss-pick-with-flat-thread-and-wide-bow-for-dental-care-isolated-on-white-backgro.jpg

I think the lightning port was a disaster. Or at least no where near ideal.

I think the lightning port was a disaster. Or at least no where near ideal.
It predates USB-C, so at the time it could do things USB2.0 could not. Unfortunately, momentum took hold. However, looks like European legislation is forcing the issue. It will be the 2024-2025 timeframe if Apple globally complies. Or maybe they'll just remove all ports and go completely wireless.

No experience with Lightning ports, but the USB ports on a lot of the office PCs at work are extremely gunked up. Normally, I just insert and remove the USB device I want to use multiple times with the system off. It's been pretty successful so far.

No clue what's going with your port though. If corrosion is causing the erratic behavior, you may have more issues growing inside the phone.

ACF-50 works as a great cleaner for electrical connectors. These ports can also go bad and become loose. It may be a good time to upgrade your phone because repairing these connectors is generally not cost effective.

Back