iPhone 6 or 6 plus?

I spoke to my local dealer today. He has 50 pre-orders, only 10 of which are the 6+. So, at least here, the 6 is being preferred. The 6+ is still on a longer backorder, but that might just be because they're making fewer anticipating stronger demand for the 6? :dunno:

The 6+ screen is harder to fabricate, so there isn't as much availability.

So.....ah......how do you delete a post again?

Last edited:
As I read this thread, I was transformed back to the 80's. I was a PC guy and I recall anyone who owned a Mac going on endlessly how much better they were.... but nothing I actually wanted to do was applicable to a Mac. But that did not stop them from going on about their Mac.

The Android users today, are the Mac users from the 80's. Great you love your "device" and it is so sophisticated, just not usable with anything I want to use.

Funny how the table has turned.

Last edited:
Agreed, but I am questioning the practicality of carrying a device that size day in and day out for non-aviation use.

If I wanted an mini iPad mini as a phone, i'd use google voice with my ipad mini . . . .

Instead, I got the straight 6 to use as a phone, and thats prob the outside max size I'd be willing to use as a phone -

image stab has never really worked - esp when its 'electronic' image stab which simply reads the electronic pixel jitter. . . .

the thing is a slight wide angle camera - jitter is usually not a major problem. You want a camera, use a camera! you want snapshots use a phone . ..

If I wanted an mini iPad mini as a phone, i'd use google voice with my ipad mini . . . .

Instead, I got the straight 6 to use as a phone, and thats prob the outside max size I'd be willing to use as a phone -

image stab has never really worked - esp when its 'electronic' image stab which simply reads the electronic pixel jitter. . . .

the thing is a slight wide angle camera - jitter is usually not a major problem. You want a camera, use a camera! you want snapshots use a phone . ..
The 6 has digital image stabilization, the 6+ has optical image stabilization.

700.jpg

This made me laugh.

Made it into an AT&T store Friday and handled the 6 and 6+.

Still undecided.

The 6+ is certainly large. That's a benefit in many areas involving usability for charts, for browsing, whatever.

It might just fit in a breast pocket sans case. In an Otterbox it would almost feel like a small tablet.

The young lady said there had been a pattern at her store of people buying the 6+ and then returning it for a 6 after a week or so, due to the 6+'s size being unwieldy.

Anyway, I also found out the contract on my 5s runs until October of next year, so I'm in no rush.

As an aside, Karen said she heard another carrier had a deal where they would buy out your contract, buy your old phone and offered $50/month unlimited talk and data. That's $34/month cheaper than my current AT&T "grandfathered" unlimited plan. Might be worth looking into.

Correction: it's Sprint and $60/month. Up to $350 credit to pay an early termination fee ($200 in my case). Question now would be what sort of coverage do they have out here in the boonies. Also, just searched and no stores within 50 miles of my location - a big drawback, since the local AT&T store has been very helpful.

Last edited:
So, if you're getting one of them, what are your thoughts?

Although I'd like the battery life of the 6+, it's just so damn big!

I think I'll go for the 6.

After carrying the Note in an Otter Box for a couple days, if I was going with an iPhone, I would carry the 6+. As big as the Note was, it was still perfectly manageable and was much more readable. For carrier, the best I have found is T-Mobile, especially since I travel internationally and they provide data roaming at no extra expense, free texting as well and calls end up at 20¢ a minute.

Last edited:
I finally got to the Apple store yesterday as well. I didn't find the 6+ absurdly large and I was actually surprised I found it mostly useable one handed.

That said, to does feel more like a mini tablet than a phone, to the point that I would feel a bit silly holding it up to my head. While large, the 6 seems more like a phone. I am still undecided as well.

I've had the 6+ for 2 weeks now. It felt strange at first, having a phone that big, but now it feels just as normal as my iPhone 5 did.

The only thing I don't like about the 6/6+ is where they relocated the power button (top right side).

1) you naturally leverage from the left side to click the right button, and thus mess with the volume controls

2) it's much harder to take a screen shot now (power + home button).

I had a chance to spend about a half hour in an Apple Store Thursday.

Impressions:

1) If anything, leaning back towards an iPhone 6. The 6+ is awfully large in the hand and a case would only make it even more cumbersome. Regardless, I'm under contract on my 5s until next October, by which time there could easily be a "6s".

2) The new 5K iMac is gorgeous. May have found my next computer - but only if my Late-2008 MacBook Pro ever craps out or gets left behind feature-wise, which may be coming close to happening with Yosemite.

3) I still don't get the quest for thinness in iPads. The iPad Air 2 is a marvelous device if one needed a new iPad. Otherwise I don't see the huge benefit of the thinness, the gold color option nor the fingerprint reader over an existing iPad Air.

4) Finally, the Apple Store in Knoxville is still packing them in! Its really quite amazing.

I finally got the 6+ from AT&T. I was on the waiting list for quite awhile. I wanted the larger size because I am always carrying the iPad around to surf, read, whatever. I am also paying for cellular data service for the iPad which I can now drop. It gets old always having your hands full. The main thing, the 6+ fits in the back pocket of my jeans easily, so I can once again have my hands free.

As for making calls, in the car I use bluetooth, or a headset, or speaker. Very few times I would have to walk around with a phone to my head. This is certainly a change vs. my habits of the past 15 years. It makes the size less of an issue.

I own several really nice cameras, I am about to sell them on ebay for nothing. Why? Because I just hate carrying around another device. The iPhone takes good enough pictures and video, more importantly it's there when I need it. I haven't tested it yet, but the camera improvements just further this logic.

I don't look at a phone as a phone, that's the main reason I have Apple products. I have a Macbook, ipad2, iPad, iPod, time machine, etc. all of which work seamlessly together. Backups, data sharing, are all really easy. I hate spending time on all of that and Apple just makes integration easy. If it were just about the phone I would probably get the Samsung. Except it wouldn't work with Foreflight.

Just another .02

I had a chance to spend about a half hour in an Apple Store Thursday.

Impressions:

1) If anything, leaning back towards an iPhone 6. The 6+ is awfully large in the hand and a case would only make it even more cumbersome. Regardless, I'm under contract on my 5s until next October, by which time there could easily be a "6s".

2) The new 5K iMac is gorgeous. May have found my next computer - but only if my Late-2008 MacBook Pro ever craps out or gets left behind feature-wise, which may be coming close to happening with Yosemite.

3) I still don't get the quest for thinness in iPads. The iPad Air 2 is a marvelous device if one needed a new iPad. Otherwise I don't see the huge benefit of the thinness, the gold color option nor the fingerprint reader over an existing iPad Air.

4) Finally, the Apple Store in Knoxville is still packing them in! Its really quite amazing.

6+ is huge. Too big.

5k iMac is gorgeous but anything that starts a new standard will have issues... I'd wait for round two of those.

Air also has an extra gig of RAM and a faster processor, I believe. Hinting at that they're going to offer something that needs a lot more horsepower on a retina screen soon. Not sure what. Whatever it is will obsolete the 1G RAM iPads.

The Mac already won't do the Convergence features. It lacks the Bluetooth chipset for it. They kinda quietly covered that one up during the Yosemite release that they obsoleted a bunch of systems on a feature basis, not whole system basis.

The 10K was impressive. The annual revenue of each store is phenomenal.

I looked at them today and the six plus is ridiculously large, no thanks. The 6 is really the size I've always wanted. That said I don't see myself moving away from my 5 anytime soon.

Had a VZW preorder that showed ship date of 10/31 for the 6+ but then got delayed until 11/21. Drove an hr and picked one up. Phone is big but still love it. So many nicer features, even compared to my old 5S.

I got the 6 but still question if I should have waited for 6+. I, too, carry my iPad all the time, so haven't minded the smaller 6 screen. It's a darn nice device.

Have the iPad Air but have been eyeing the 2, mainly for the faster processor and Touch ID. I've been spoiled by that on the 6. But my Air is a great device.

One of our coders wrote a website to search all the AT&T stores around a zip code for in stock AT&T 6+ and had one in two days.

AT&T allows people to reserve phones at a store on their website and their API is unprotected on their website too. Heh. He said it was easy to code the search. He didn't automate the reservation.

But he wouldn't let me share the website since the AT&T API isn't officially public. He just reverse engineered it. LOL.

He did "hook up" a few friends who were nuts about iPhone 6. They all had phones inside of a week.

Fun and games. No standing in line for that guy. LOL!

Just committed to an iPhone 6+, 64gb.

Kept my "unlimited" data plan, and the phone payments will space out over 24 months (had to pay GA sales tax up front on the full retail price of the phone).

Karen will inherit my 5s and her 5c will get sold via Gazelle or eBay.

Will give first impressions when I've played with it a little.

I think you'll like it. I was skeptical about the plus and almost went with the 6, but now I'm used to it and wouldn't want the smaller screen.

Tempered glass screen protector and a Defender with the crappy clear plastic knocked out. Fits in my back pocket just fine. Mine's been dropped a few times with no consequences. Happy happy.

Just committed to an iPhone 6+, 64gb.

Kept my "unlimited" data plan, and the phone payments will space out over 24 months (had to pay GA sales tax up front on the full retail price of the phone).

Karen will inherit my 5s and her 5c will get sold via Gazelle or eBay.

Will give first impressions when I've played with it a little.

Who is your carrier?

Thanks.

Now agonizing over an Otterbox Defender or Commuter case.

Nothing but Defenders up to now, but damn that adds to the bulk!

I did the Commuter and insurance. Ha. I also let the dude at the store put the friggin cover on the face... I always get bubbles. ;)

Just went Defender on Amazon.

Tried and true, and great customer service.

I suck at installing screen protectors, or just have a very dusty and dog-hairy house. The Moshi brand has worked well for me on iPads.

My wife likes her 6. It's nice to have the larger screen (she had a 4S before and it was having battery problems and that wasn't helped when I inadvertently dropped it on the ramp one day and cracked the screen). She says the 6+ probably would not have worked for her (I have a NEXUS 5 which in it's case is about the same profile as the 6+ naked and she carried it around a bit to see).

I think you'll like it. I was skeptical about the plus and almost went with the 6, but now I'm used to it and wouldn't want the smaller screen.

Yeah, used a friend's Plus last night and I'd be happy to have it...more iPad-like features. Oh, well....maybe when my wife needs an upgrade...

Loren

One nifty thing on the 6 is that iOS will now rotate sideways or even upside down. (Upside down is nice if you have a charger cable connected to keep it out of the way when typing.) I think it's both 6 models anyway... Could just be the 6 plus.

I upgraded to the 6+ and very happy w/ the switch. I have a plane w/ dual Aspens (PFD & MFD) and dual 430Ws so I now use a suction ram mount on the left corner of the windshield w/ the 6+. I can pull up IFR plates and zoom in if needed as well as have FF running for quick reference, etc.. and this setup has been great. The 6+ is large enough to use it for flight yet not so big that it gets in the way of things and I got used to the size pretty quickly so no issues carrying it around anymore. Very nice to have the extra screen for emails, browsing, videos, etc...

This is a 6+ only feature and one of the reasons I went w/ the +. That and app developers are tweaking their apps to be optimized for the 6+ features such as this. I expect the Foreflights of the world will rewrite their phone app to take full advantage of this type of features/size in the future. FF already came out w/ an update to take advantage of the larger screen sizes.

One nifty thing on the 6 is that iOS will now rotate sideways or even upside down. (Upside down is nice if you have a charger cable connected to keep it out of the way when typing.) I think it's both 6 models anyway... Could just be the 6 plus.

Back