iPhone 6 or 6 plus?

This is a 6+ only feature and one of the reasons I went w/ the +. That and app developers are tweaking their apps to be optimized for the 6+ features such as this. I expect the Foreflights of the world will rewrite their phone app to take full advantage of this type of features/size in the future. FF already came out w/ an update to take advantage of the larger screen sizes.

Ahh ok. I've been surprised that FF wasn't on top of this one.

Many lesser Apps now support it.

FF is way behind even the free stuff on this.

One nifty thing on the 6 is that iOS will now rotate sideways or even upside down. (Upside down is nice if you have a charger cable connected to keep it out of the way when typing.) I think it's both 6 models anyway... Could just be the 6 plus.

My 5 did that

I posted elsewhere about my 6+. My iPhone5 is now an iPod Touch and will be my FF backup. I am gifting my iPad2 to my daughter and will try family sharing of FF as backup-backup. I will probably wipe it today and get the it ready to give on Saturday. She's always asking me to use it, so why not.

Until Foreflight adds a documents section to the iPhone app I can't retire my iPad from it's role as my EFB. I emailed Foreflight about adding a document option for the phone app. They responded that they're working on it but don't have any info about a release date.

I went with the 6 for a month and just switched back to my 5S. The 6 is just too big for 90% of tasks, like using it as a phone. I will stick with the iPad for flying and the 5S for a phone until apple comes out with a smaller upgrade.

What we're talking about here is the HOME screen and the icons rotating not other apps. The 6+ rotates the entire home screen when you rotate the phone. This is the first time iOS can do this. That and it also supports an expanded landscape mode if an app supports it like with the iPads so say email... When you rotate the 6+ you'll see your list of emails on a window on the left and the body of the email selected on that window on the right side of the screen. More and more apps are being modified to take avantage of that capability.

My 5 did that

Last edited:
What we're talking about here is the HOME screen and the icons rotating not other apps. The 6+ rotates the entire home screen when you rotate the phone. This is the first time iOS can do this.

To be clear, that limitation is iPhone only. iPads have done that for a while.

As an aside, I got my OtterBox Defender this afternoon (still waiting for the phone). DAMN that seems big! Though I'll bet I get used to it.

How much do you want for the 5c? My daughter is looking at them.

We may gift it to my son-in-law.

If we don't, I think the Gazelle price is $100. I'd be happy to talk POA discount.

Anyway, should know in a day or two.

Anyway, it's blue, AT&T and 32 gig. Always in a case so about perfect.

Interesting comparo:

16204493996_67d2deb603_z.jpg

L to R: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6+ case, iPad Mini - all OtterBoxes.

Showing WingXPro7.

Wondering if the 6+ could supplant the Mini in the cockpit of my Sky Arrow.

Until Foreflight adds a documents section to the iPhone app I can't retire my iPad from it's role as my EFB. I emailed Foreflight about adding a document option for the phone app. They responded that they're working on it but don't have any info about a release date.

I can now live without FF Documents after I "discovered" the FAA Library - no more hunting around, the FAA has now put everything in one place. I am fine with iBooks to store things in and with iCloud sync turned on, it should retain everything as I left it.

Doing a review of what I was storing in Documents didn't hurt either.

A similar comparison to what Fast Eddie posted...a friend stopped by with the three sizes of devices I don't have, so we laid them out for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_2362web.jpg
    IMG_2362web.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks like someone needs to remediate the Kindergarten lesson on Big to Little.

(yes, I know my post is not nice - but it's so fun being bad sometimes):D

Looks like someone needs to remediate the Kindergarten lesson on Big to Little.

(yes, I know my post is not nice - but it's so fun being bad sometimes):D

We had the flaps to deal with....this seemed to work!

What we're talking about here is the HOME screen and the icons rotating not other apps. The 6+ rotates the entire home screen when you rotate the phone. This is the first time iOS can do this. That and it also supports an expanded landscape mode if an app supports it like with the iPads so say email... When you rotate the 6+ you'll see your list of emails on a window on the left and the body of the email selected on that window on the right side of the screen. More and more apps are being modified to take avantage of that capability.

I still don't understand what you're saying. The ability to deal with various orientations within the app has been up to the app for a long time. The ability of iOS to rotate the home screen and it's icons completely upside down has been around forever on the iPads as well.

One nifty thing on the 6 is that iOS will now rotate sideways or even upside down. (Upside down is nice if you have a charger cable connected to keep it out of the way when typing.) I think it's both 6 models anyway... Could just be the 6 plus.

My iPad Mini will do this (rotate icons on the home screen, even upside down), but my iPhone 6+ won't rotate home screen icons sideways or upside down. Apps will go sideways (landscape) but not upside down.

What am I missing?? Is there a setting to enable this? (rotation isn't locked, I checked--and remember, apps will rotate, so it's not locked)

My iPad Mini will do this (rotate icons on the home screen, even upside down), but my iPhone 6+ won't rotate home screen icons sideways or upside down. Apps will go sideways (landscape) but not upside down.

What am I missing?? Is there a setting to enable this? (rotation isn't locked, I checked--and remember, apps will rotate, so it's not locked)

On my new 6+ (arrived yesterday)*, home screen rotates to all possible orientations out of the box.

Don't know what the difference is.

*PIREP later today once I've played with it more.

On my new 6+ (arrived yesterday)*, home screen rotates to all possible orientations out of the box.

Don't know what the difference is.

*PIREP later today once I've played with it more.

Hmmm. I'll see what my wife's 6+ does. Maybe we need to stop by the Apple Store.

I'm not the only one reporting this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6546255

EDIT: ^^^^ there's the fix. I had icons set to "zoomed" (makes them and their fonts just a little larger). The full rotation only works with "Standard".

Last edited:
Just sent to Hilton Software re: WingXPro7 on the iPhone 6+:

Sirs,

I just received a new iPhone 6+ yesterday.

It may replace my iPad Mini in my aircraft for basic navigation chores.

I was disappointed to see that WingXPro7 on the device still mimics the earlier iPhone version. In other words, when you click on an airport and want to see info, that info takes over the entire screen, unlike on the iPad where that info shows on a panel to the left of the screen - in one of two widths, no less!

Anyway, the 6+ screen has enough real estate that it would be nice to at least have the option of it performing exactly as the iPad versions does, only smaller. Maybe an “iPhone or iPad Display?” toggle in preferences or tools.*

Great product overall. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Sebring next week.

Thanks,

Fast Eddie B.

(Ed Benson - Mineral Bluff, GA)

*If its already there, I haven’t been able to find it.

First impression is that this thing is pretty huge.

Anyway, switching my stuff over from my old phone went pretty seamlessly.

Had to go to the hangar today. Did not fly but took a couple photos of the 6+ in the cockpit.

First, a prime location where the only thing it would block is my inclinometer ball:

16061772090_feeae649f0_z.jpg

Second, about where my iPad Mini goes:

16063306597_bedf108a5b_z.jpg

The camera angle makes it look even bigger, and it does not block the instruments in real life.

Will have to play with it in flight.

I think I'll be able to live with the size - getting used to it already.

Interesting mount; bite the edge!

Thanks.

1) I would not try that with a "naked" iPhone, though in the OtterBox case it seems OK.

2) If that became my preferred method, I might cushion the RAM "jaws" with Plasti-Dip or equivalent.

3) I already applied some Super-Lok tape to the back my OtterBox holster. I have a couple RAM mounts with the same tape applied. That may end up being a slightly more "elegant" solution, albeit with added parts/complication.

No reply from Hilton Software yet. I really would prefer a consistent interface with my iPad. I hope they're listening!

Last edited:
Just finished a road trip to FL and back with my new iPhone 6+.

Short version: I'm 100% sure I made the right choice.

Longer version...

It IS awfully big and clunky, especially in its OtterBox case. Hip pocket seems the best spot as a rule when walking around.

But the screen size makes it all worthwhile. We used Waze* for navigation, and the screen size helps a lot. I could just make out warnings without my reading glasses, which was not possible before.

And it works kind of like a Mini-mini iPad when there's no WiFi available.

Further report once I get to use it in the plane.

*Waze is great! Last night it alerted to an object in the road ahead - plenty of time to slow down and be alert for a tire carcass. Plus cop alerts and so much more. Love it!

Not quite correct. Yes the ability to rotate the home screen has always been there but just for iPads. iPhone 6+ is the first iPhone that supports this.

I still don't understand what you're saying. The ability to deal with various orientations within the app has been up to the app for a long time. The ability of iOS to rotate the home screen and it's icons completely upside down has been around forever on the iPads as well.

Just sent to Hilton Software re: WingXPro7 on the iPhone 6+:

Sirs,

I just received a new iPhone 6+ yesterday.

It may replace my iPad Mini in my aircraft for basic navigation chores.

I was disappointed to see that WingXPro7 on the device still mimics the earlier iPhone version. In other words, when you click on an airport and want to see info, that info takes over the entire screen, unlike on the iPad where that info shows on a panel to the left of the screen - in one of two widths, no less!

Anyway, the 6+ screen has enough real estate that it would be nice to at least have the option of it performing exactly as the iPad versions does, only smaller. Maybe an “iPhone or iPad Display?” toggle in preferences or tools.*

Great product overall. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Sebring next week.

Thanks,

Fast Eddie B.

(Ed Benson - Mineral Bluff, GA)

*If its already there, I haven’t been able to find it.

I wonder if it is an iPhone issue. Foreflight on my 6+ is the iphone, not the iPad version. When I first got it (I was one of the idiots that got up 2:00 in the morning to place my order), I was dissapointed to see it was a scaled up iphone, and not a scaled down ipad.

I posted that on Fore Flight's facebook, as have a number of others, but so far it hasn't changed.

FF also has weird issues on the 6+. I was hoping to stop carrying a second ipad as a back up and only use the phone. Unfortunately in my opinion, the experince is poor. Which is too bad, as there is plenty of real estate. The iPhone version of FF is clunky and a bit buggy.

On a side note, the battery is fantastic, and you missed some of the really bad early problems. It is a lot more stable now. I went from the 5s to the 6+ and have no regrets.

FF also has weird issues on the 6+. I was hoping to stop carrying a second ipad as a back up and only use the phone. Unfortunately in my opinion, the experince is poor. Which is too bad, as there is plenty of real estate. The iPhone version of FF is clunky and a bit buggy.

Such as?

I just used both the iPad and iPhone using FF during the long XC and had no significant problems with either one.

Clunky, a little. But it's the same interface it's always had on the phones. Buggy, give an example...?

I wonder if it is an iPhone issue.

No. When you build the UI views in Xcode, you specify target devices for which a particular view displays. The iPhone 6+ is still an iPhone and the code treats it as such. A separate view is coded for iPad devices.

No. When you build the UI views in Xcode, you specify target devices for which a particular view displays. The iPhone 6+ is still an iPhone and the code treats it as such. A separate view is coded for iPad devices.

I'm not a coder, but it still seems like an "iPad emulating" mode could be selectable at the user's option.

In any case, I mentioned it to the fellows from Hilton Software that were at the Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring. After initially defending the display mode as appropriate to the small screen, they admitted they had someone "looking at" the possibilities the larger screen on the 6+ provided.

For me, it's not a small thing. I would really like to keep the map display on the screen as I pull up airport info - frequencies, runway info - that sort of thing.

Anyway, I hope they feel like the customer is always right and listen to the feedback.

This one is the easiest to show. I actually like it. Occasionally I can get the entire top bar to disappear, but this is much more repeatable. Undocumented functionality.

The first pic is what it should look like, the second loses the top bar and the Menu button.

The only thing I don't like is it disables anything on the map. Touching on the screen does nothing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
For some reason I have trouble attaching multiple files from my iPad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 18
Mine looks like your second one when rotated on iPhone 6+.

1f2d72c3ea8a3edefc85fc3983291c6a.jpg

When I touch the map, this menu comes up with things closer to where I touched at the top of the list...

04d1f4cce34e8cb5b2c2510ab217f646.jpg

And if the pop up is on a waypoint in the flight plan...

dc6189f1056ef31d9e37fbc5c051d302.jpg

You can touch the buttons in the box and they work fine...

34e469f20ad9cdfd18e655a9252b791c.jpg

Keep in mind both of mine are landscape. In landscape, select an entity on the map with your finger. Then select direct to. You may need to select a couple before the top bar disappears and leaving the text inverted.

Let me see if I can get the bar to go away completely. It happens on its own in the plane, but is a challenge to do in the ground.

I just got mine to work like yours, which is a whole lot better.

Instead of tapping an airport, long press on it on the map. That will by pass that black box that I have never seen before (but now I know how to get it).

When you long press it brings up the add to route. As soon as I pick anything on that screen the map looks the way of my pic above.

To get the box to go away completely, you have to rotate the phone a few times, get it to say undo text, and eventually the top bar dissappears.

It does it on its own in the plane when it is bumpy.

Sounds like it may be a bug in the iOS toolkit rather than a FF bug.

I do admit I like the button Amazon put on screen in the Kindle App that makes it easy to lock and unlock rotation without hunting around trying to do it.

On iPad I set the mute button to rotation lock instead in the Settings which is equally convenient. I don't need a hardware mute button.

Not as easy on iPhone with apps overriding the ability to get to the swipe up menu from the screen bottom.

But a quick bump of the home button to go to the home screen, swipe up, push the lock button, double tap home button, swipe to app and re-enter it, isn't incredibly awful to lock rotation.

Locking should end your problems with the accelerometers messing with screen rotation.

You could be right. It is hard for me to determine the difference between a bug in the software vs the SDK or the OS. I am pretty sure I have not seen a bug in FF that wasn't fixed quickly by them (the crash on start for example). Their support and quality are excellent.

In my opinion FF is useless for me on the iphone 6+. I was hoping to eliminate my backup ipad with the iPhone, but the way the software works on there just isn't good for me. I was expecting a scaled down ipad not a scaled up iphone, which is an interface I didn't find usable on the phone.

Which brings me back to my original point. I believe that FF does not have a choice on the interface on the device. I find the iPhone FF interface clunky and unusable (maybe not buggy per se, but with issues). I am hopeful that someday they and thus us will be given a choice on which interface to use. Until then I will carry my second ipad, and not bother keeping FF on the phone.

Back