IPC with different instructors and planes?

Dallyboy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dallyboy
As a result of flying a "VFR daytime only" job I found myself needing an IPC. Should've stayed current but here we are.

My old flight school has an AATD sim that allows for all of the IPC requirements to be done except for circling to land. To save money I knocked out all those requirements with a CFII friend for free and now just need that CTL.
I'm about to do my multi engine add-on with a different instructor and I'm wondering if I can log the IPC as complete aafter we do a CTL as part of the training.

So the big question is: Could I count my IPC as complete with two different instructors, on two different dates, in two different classes of airplanes?

I read the ACS and didn't notice anything saying I can't, but I'd love y'all's input. Thanks!

I don’t see anything prohibiting it, but the second instructor is basing the IPC endorsement in large part on what the other instructor did. Coordination between the two and proper documentation would be critical, IMO.

In order to do this as the second CFI, I'd want to see in your logbook an IPC endorsement from the first CFI, with the standard wording, but including something like "except circle to land procedures".

Then after doing the CTL with me, I would construct my own endorsement that basically said we did ONLY the CTL procedures.

Kind of like how I'd do it if you took an online ground school for your flight review.

I'm not about to just sign off a whole IPC when I only saw one maneuver. But I'm happy to sign off what we actually did.

The endorsement wording in AC61-65 is "recommended" wording, and while it's usually a good idea to follow it, sometimes exceptions need to be made.

I don’t see anything prohibiting it, but the second instructor is basing the IPC endorsement in large part on what the other instructor did. Coordination between the two and proper documentation would be critical, IMO.

(d) Limitations on endorsements. A flight instructor may not endorse a:
(6) Logbook of a pilot for an instrument proficiency check, unless that instructor has tested that pilot in accordance with the requirements of § 61.57(d)

The instrument proficiency check must consist of at least the following areas of operation:

(i) Air traffic control clearances and procedures;

(ii) Flight by reference to instruments;

(iii) Navigation systems;

(iv) Instrument approach procedures;

(v) Emergency operations; and

(vi) Postflight procedures.

Last edited:
In order to do this as the second CFI, I'd want to see in your logbook an IPC endorsement from the first CFI, with the standard wording, but including something like "except circle to land procedures".

Then after doing the CTL with me, I would construct my own endorsement that basically said we did ONLY the CTL procedures.

Kind of like how I'd do it if you took an online ground school for your flight review.

I'm not about to just sign off a whole IPC when I only saw one maneuver. But I'm happy to sign off what we actually did.

The endorsement wording in AC61-65 is "recommended" wording, and while it's usually a good idea to follow it, sometimes exceptions need to be made.
You beat me this time :D. It's exactly the way I would handle it. The other flight review split endorsement example is a group ground. I always thought it would be a great marketing idea for a flight school/rental FBO

Did I miss something?

My understanding was currency requirements could be met in a sim, but an IPC had to be done in the airplane

Did I miss something?

My understanding was currency requirements could be met in a sim, but an IPC had to be done in the airplane
Only that it depends on the "sim" and it's authorization. For most in light GA that means an ATD rather than a FTD or FFS. You always have to look at the Letter of Authorization for the device.

Using Redbird as an example, the BATD TD2 cannot be used for any IPC task, but the AATD FMX can be used for some of the tasks (except for the circling and landing tasks)

Back