iPad vs. Nexus 7

According to this:

Code:
Operating temperature
41º to 104º F (5º to 40º C)

Interesting. Here are the specs for the iPad Mini:

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

All of the iPads from the 2 to the Mini share these same specs.

I've never had the iPad shut down on me in flight even when flying in subzero temps with the cabin only marginally warmer. On the other hand I've had my iPhone shut off on me in the midst of a call, text, whatever, multiple times over the years.

Of course the ambient temperature at the time was usually -20F or worse. Two or three minutes in a warm pocket and it would power on again.

I've never had the iPad shut down on me in flight even when flying in subzero temps with the cabin only marginally warmer. On the other hand I've had my iPhone shut off on me in the midst of a call, text, whatever, multiple times over the years.

Of course the ambient temperature at the time was usually -20F or worse. Two or three minutes in a warm pocket and it would power on again.

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would go flying in an unheated aircraft at -15 below zero. I flew in WI and IA year-round, and a non-functioning heater at those temps was a no-go item, if for no other reason than your breath would freeze on the inside of the cockpit glass.

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would go flying in an unheated aircraft at -15 below zero. I flew in WI and IA year-round, and a non-functioning heater at those temps was a no-go item, if for no other reason than your breath would freeze on the inside of the cockpit glass.

Before we left the house, I told her to really bundle up, as the heater in this plane was not the greatest, and there was always a breeze in the plane. I didn't realize the cabin heater was totally down for the count until we were 15 minutes out. My wife really, really wanted to go for a sightseeing ride, all the snow, and ice, take some pictures of the house, the river, West Point, so....
The old rule "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" went into affect.
Even she caved after 45 minutes, and she was dressed to walk across Antartica.
The guys who had the plane after me spent an hour with the mechanic getting the heater cable thawed out.

Yesterday was much nicer. aaaahhh! cabin heat. Even if it was a flight school dog of a C-152.
I have no pride. If it has wings and the engine runs, I'll fly it. :lol:

Glenn

[...] The old rule "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" went into affect.

[...]

aaaahhh! cabin heat. Even if it was a flight school dog of a C-152.
I have no pride. If it has wings and the engine runs, I'll fly it. :lol: [...]

:lol: :rofl: :goofy:

Jay, or anyone:
Is there any setting to calm down the Navigator screen?
Any help, etc, etc.

Thanks

Glenn

Jay, or anyone:
Is there any setting to calm down the Navigator screen?
Any help, etc, etc.

Thanks

Glenn

Um, what does "calm down" mean in terms of a tablet?

I've not noticed my Nexus 7 becoming over-excited... :D

When I touch he screen, the map gets a little spastic, too big, too small, wrong location, all in one swell foop.
I realize trying to adjust the screen while having your brains shaken out in flight is an exercise in futility, but it just seems too sensitive at times.

Glenn

Can't test right now, but try turning off "flick pan" in the settings maybe? Not sure how screen navigation works after doing that though.

When I touch he screen, the map gets a little spastic, too big, too small, wrong location, all in one swell foop.
I realize trying to adjust the screen while having your brains shaken out in flight is an exercise in futility, but it just seems too sensitive at times.

Glenn

Huh. I've never noticed that -- but I rarely adjust the map in flight. I will play with it later today.

If you read back through the last 890 posts in this thread you will get a good idea about it.

I don't like the Garmin product compared to Foreflight or WingX. Even though I generally like Garmin stuff.

I really like the Nexus 7\Navigator combination.
I'm beginning to think that any twitchiness may be ham-hand related, and the fact that this is my first "aircraft" tablet.
I've been flying with it since Christmas, and the things it does, it does very, very well.

Glenn

Having gotten used to, and really enjoying, my Galaxy S3 phone I thought I'd try the Wing X since Foreflight isn't available but found this on the first page:
5 star 29
4 star 16
3 star 11
2 star 14
1 star 71
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Is Naviator the preferred all around software or does Foreflight still have it beat?
And Jay, is the Nexus a lot like a huge Android phone in function? I have the same Jelly bean.
Thanks all!

Question for those who've used both: I've never used Foreflight or Garmin Pilot or any aviation related app. Any truth this claim? Is this a fair assessment or is this just Android propaganda? http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/instrumentaccessories/ipad-mini-killer-less-half-price :dunno:

Well, let's recap:

As compared to the iPad mini, the Nexus 7 has:

1. A higher resolution screen
2. A faster processor
3. A great, customizable user interface
4. More apps
5. Built-in GPS
6. Half the price

It's not even a competition, really.

Having gotten used to, and really enjoying, my Galaxy S3 phone I thought I'd try the Wing X since Foreflight isn't available but found this on the first page:
5 star 29
4 star 16
3 star 11
2 star 14
1 star 71
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Is Naviator the preferred all around software or does Foreflight still have it beat?
And Jay, is the Nexus a lot like a huge Android phone in function? I have the same Jelly bean.
Thanks all!

ForeFlight is unavailable on any Android-OS unit. The app of choice (thus far) appears to be Garmin Pilot. It's what Mary and I use, too.

And, yes, if you're familiar with the operation of your Samsung Galaxy S3, an Android tablet like the Nexus 7 will feel very familiar. I go back and forth between them all day long, without skipping a beat.

Well, let's recap:

1. A higher resolution screen
2. A faster processor
3. A great, customizable user interface
4. More apps
5. Built-in GPS
6. Half the price

It's not even a competition, really.

Do you own both tablets ?

ForeFlight is unavailable on any Android-OS unit. The app of choice (thus far) appears to be Garmin Pilot. It's what Mary and I use, too.

And, yes, if you're familiar with the operation of your Samsung Galaxy S3, an Android tablet like the Nexus 7 will feel very familiar. I go back and forth between them all day long, without skipping a beat.

Thank you!

4. More apps

ForeFlight is unavailable on any Android-OS unit. The app of choice (thus far) appears to be Garmin Pilot.

I'd point out that since ForeFlight is still the app of choice on iOS despite the availability of Garmin Pilot on iOS, that "more apps" doesn't mean much if they're not the right apps, especially in this context (use as an EFB).

For non-aviation use, both platforms have so many apps that "there's an app for that" holds true on both - I can't remember the last time I imagined a new use for my iPad or iPhone and an app didn't already exist.

I'd point out that since ForeFlight is still the app of choice on iOS despite the availability of Garmin Pilot on iOS, that "more apps" doesn't mean much if they're not the right apps, especially in this context (use as an EFB).

For non-aviation use, both platforms have so many apps that "there's an app for that" holds true on both - I can't remember the last time I imagined a new use for my iPad or iPhone and an app didn't already exist.

True, but for most of us our time spent flying with a tablet is miniscule compared to our time spent NOT flying with a tablet. My "more apps" statement applies to the other 95% of our usage.

In the meantime, WRT to aviation, sooner or later one of two things is going to happen. Either (1) ForeFlight gets on the Android bandwagon, or (2) Garmin continues to incrementally improve their product and eats Foreflight's lunch.

Given Garmin's muscle in the market, and Foreflight's intransigence, I'm banking on option #2.

I am finding it harder to justify the price of an IPAD for flying when the Nexus is so cheap.

I ended up ordering the XGPS150 last night after getting home from a flight. For whatever reason in the C152, I can't keep the GPS signal on the N7 when it's in my lap. If I hold it up near the glass or put it on the dash, it's fine, but then I can't really use it. I even tried it without the case.

I ended up ordering the XGPS150 last night after getting home from a flight. For whatever reason in the C152, I can't keep the GPS signal on the N7 when it's in my lap. If I hold it up near the glass or put it on the dash, it's fine, but then I can't really use it. I even tried it without the case.

Are you sure your intermittent signal isn't the result of the Nexus 7's internal GPS working when the tablet has a good view of the sky and then falling off when it is in your lap? Perhaps your Dual xGPS isn't even connected at all?

I say this because I have a Nexus 7 and a Dual xgps150 and the Dual unit regularly fails to connect to the Nexus 7. I called Dual about this and they said they are having "issues" with the 4.x release of the Andriod software (aka Jellybean).

You can go to the Nexus 7's "setting, bluetooth" and see if your Dual GPS is connecting... let us know...

BTW...the Dual GPS works great via Bluetooth with the iPad/Foreflight

Are you sure your intermittent signal isn't the result of the Nexus 7's internal GPS working when the tablet has a good view of the sky and then falling off when it is in your lap? Perhaps your Dual xGPS isn't even connected at all?

Sorry if I wasn't clear; I don't have the Dual xGPS yet -- I ordered it last night because the N7 internal GPS keeps cutting out on my lap.

I'll keep you posted about BT with the Dual when I get it -- I run a custom ROM on my N7, so my results may or may not be different.

Did Dual hint that they would issue a firmware update to fix whatever issue they're having with JB?

Question for those who've used both: I've never used Foreflight or Garmin Pilot or any aviation related app. Any truth this claim? Is this a fair assessment or is this just Android propaganda? http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/instrumentaccessories/ipad-mini-killer-less-half-price :dunno:

You'll see much the same thoughts expressed here. I have both...an iPad4 Retina 64G and a Nexus 7 16GB. I have georeferenced charts on both and use them both a lot. I prefer ForeFlight as an app, but I like the small size of the Nexus in the cockpit. Garmin Pilot is very usable, just not fluid to use as ForeFlight.

If I had nothing and was looking to buy on a budget, I'd definitely start with the Nexus and see if it met my needs. It probably will.

I'll keep you posted about BT with the Dual when I get it -- I run a custom ROM on my N7, so my results may or may not be different.

Did Dual hint that they would issue a firmware update to fix whatever issue they're having with JB?

No, Dual said that they would "get back to me after their engineers look at the problem" but they haven't:dunno:. Pls let us know if your XGPS150a works on your N7.

I say this because I have a Nexus 7 and a Dual xgps150 and the Dual unit regularly fails to connect to the Nexus 7. I called Dual about this and they said they are having "issues" with the 4.x release of the Andriod software (aka Jellybean).

BTW...the Dual GPS works great via Bluetooth with the iPad/Foreflight

One of the benefits/penalties of Android being an open system and penalties/benefits of iOS being a closed system.

If something works on iOS, it usually works on all iOS devices. If it works on one Android device, it might work on all Android devices of the same version or it might not since whoever implements it on their device usually tweaks it.

I have both types and had no problems with iOS across platforms but I have had more than a few compatibility glitches with my Android gizmos. Usually it gets sorted but it is annoying, especially when the manufacturer doesn't (or does) update the Android OS on their device. Not much of a big deal with Angry Birds, eMail, surfing, etc. but something I don't want to deal with using a Tablet as an EFB.

I have not read anything in this endless thread about any quirks using EFB Apps on Tablets other than Nexus 7 like Samsung, etc. using Android. Be interesting to see if they work as well as on the 7.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not the mini, but I owned (and ultimately sold) my iPad, in favor of the Nexus 7.

So we are having an example of bias sample here? :) I own three iPads of several generations (ironically I used to be Samsung Galaxy fun) :)

Why put the Nexus 7 in your lap? The whole point of a 7" tablet is that it's small enough to yoke mount.

So we are having an example of bias sample here? :) I own three iPads of several generations (ironically I used to be Samsung Galaxy fun) :)

No, I can read a spec sheet. In every measurable way, the Nexus 7 is superior to the iPad Mini.

I have not read anything in this endless thread about any quirks using EFB Apps on Tablets other than Nexus 7 like Samsung, etc. using Android. Be interesting to see if they work as well as on the 7.

I own a Galaxy Tab 7 (the previous "plus" version, not the tab2) that I will be using as an EFB. I'm just starting PPL training now, so I don't have anything useful to report yet, but when I start using it, I'll report.

Why put the Nexus 7 in your lap? The whole point of a 7" tablet is that it's small enough to yoke mount.

I'm still at the stage where I'm flying various rental planes and have no mount, etc. I'm only glancing at the sectional sparingly, too, but I do like Naviator's ability to record the route.

I'm still at the stage where I'm flying various rental planes and have no mount, etc. I'm only glancing at the sectional sparingly, too, but I do like Naviator's ability to record the route.

Check out the RAM mount system. I can remove the thing in ten seconds, and it holds the Nexus front and center, right where I want it. And -- most pertinently, for you -- it holds it up where the GPS has a clear view of the sky.

Check out the RAM mount system. I can remove the thing in ten seconds, and it holds the Nexus front and center, right where I want it. And -- most pertinently, for you -- it holds it up where the GPS has a clear view of the sky.

Hmm... I didn't realize they were so portable. Which of these would you suggest? The X-grip seems to be the cheapest at Sporty's.

No, I can read a spec sheet. In every measurable way, the Nexus 7 is superior to the iPad Mini.

Well then, you may note that the N7 is heavier, thicker, lacks a high res camera, and tops out at 50% of the maximum available RAM of the Mini. But maybe those aren't "measurable" on a spec sheet? ;)

Rumors that it had an older GPS chipset were found to be false after the ifixit tear down, it is the same as the iPad.

I don't care, I'm chiefly attached to the iPad because I'm attached to the iOS ecosystem, and because I like Foreflight, but let's not exaggerate. I also REALLY appreciate 64Gb of storage when I'm traveling in areas where access to my media on the cloud is really slow. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I wouldn't go back to 32GB.

Last edited:
Hmm... I didn't realize they were so portable. Which of these would you suggest? The X-grip seems to be the cheapest at Sporty's.

I have the x-grip and the iPad slips in bumps or vibration. Not far, but unattended it would eventually fall. I went back to the spring loaded clamp. Even that in significant turbulence might launch your tablet somewhere you don't want it though I haven't experienced that yet. They only recommend the locking one for "high vibration."

I got a Nexu 7 a few weeks ago. The only aviation app I have so far is F-18 Fighters. Fun! If I can pry it from my wife's fingers, I plan on posting here with it someday. I'm saving on downloading the 30 day free Garmin Pilot and Naviator for when I start my training to upgrade to Private, so I can see what works best for me before I buy.

Back