iPad vs. Nexus 7

I finally got one, a few days ago..........at Staples. Size wise, I really like it. And as far as that "brightness" report...........perhaps they kept it on "automatic" brightness. I'm using mine, just slightly above the half setting, and it certainly seems as bright as my wifes Ipad2. As has been mentioned before, neither the Nexus7 or Ipad2 comes close to my Garmin 696 in readibility with varying cockpit sunslight conditions. Just tried that today. With the Garmin, you never even have to think about a glare problem, or the exact angle, or shade.

L.Adamson

Sweet. N7s are hard to find -- they are reportedly the hottest selling tablet in history.

I'm sitting at my hangar right now, enjoying a gorgeous sunset after an evening at the beach, using my N7 connected to a hot spot WiFi network I've set up using my cell phone.

Technology rocks!

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sweet. N7s are hard to find -- they are reportedly the hottest selling tablet in history.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves... The iPad 2 sold over 3 million units in 4 days. Google has yet to sell 3 million N7's.

In the second quarter of 2012, Apple sold 20 million iPads.

The N7 is a hit, and a huge success... but let's not make clames that the facts don't support.

I never said that. In fact what we have today might have been better without Jobs. but there is no question it would have been different.

Without Gates, it would look about the same.

Of course. There are multiple people that have built technology brands used by 90% of the civilized world.

Since this is all wild-eyed conjecture I will exit this tangent now, confident that history will have Gates listed on the short list of most influential people in technology of all time...alongside Jobs, Metcalf, Cerf, etc.

Of course. There are multiple people that have built technology brands used by 90% of the civilized world.

Since this is all wild-eyed conjecture I will exit this tangent now, confident that history will have Gates listed on the short list of most influential people in technology of all time...alongside Jobs, Metcalf, Cerf, etc.

I have no problem with him listed there. He is to the computer erra, what Henry Ford was to the auto industry.

Bring what other people innovated, to the masses.

I would give Ford a little more credit, because he had to innovate a production system that had never before been done. But none the less, both provided the same benefits to society.

Saying Gates had anything to do with what a computer looks like today however, is like saying Mr. Ford is the reason a car has 4 tires, a combustion engine, and a steering wheel.

That belongs to the inovation of Karl Benz.

Third day flying with the Nexus. Today I had licensed the geo-referenced approach charts since I was missing that feature after using it on the iPad for a year. It's a great instructing tool to help students understand where they are after I make them figure it out "old school"! So far Garmin Pilot is proving to be a bit less intuitive than ForeFlight, which I think is brilliantly conceived, but I am adapting.

Noticed one of my colleagues who was quizzing me about it yesterday had one sitting on his desk this morning. The features are very compelling at that price point.

Still love my iPad but it stayed in my flightbag today...first time that's happened in over a year! But I do like knowing I have a backup.

Third day flying with the Nexus. Today I had licensed the geo-referenced approach charts since I was missing that feature after using it on the iPad for a year. It's a great instructing tool to help students understand where they are after I make them figure it out "old school"! So far Garmin Pilot is proving to be a bit less intuitive than ForeFlight, which I think is brilliantly conceived, but I am adapting.

Noticed one of my colleagues who was quizzing me about it yesterday had one sitting on his desk this morning. The features are very compelling at that price point.

Still love my iPad but it stayed in my flightbag today...first time that's happened in over a year! But I do like knowing I have a backup.

When Garmin releases the promised update that allows the software to recognize our N7s as tablets (rather than cell phones) it will run properly. Until then, it's marginal, at best.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves... The iPad 2 sold over 3 million units in 4 days. Google has yet to sell 3 million N7's.

In the second quarter of 2012, Apple sold 20 million iPads.

The N7 is a hit, and a huge success... but let's not make clames that the facts don't support.

Estimates are between 6 and 8 million N7s being sold by Xmas. It's huge, and growing, as word spreads that it's possible to unplug from the Apple collective.

Not sure if Ironic is the right word...

But funny that you write that on a computer, that took hundreds of thousands of lines of code working property, from dozens of companies. This is just so you could type it. Form the firmware in your display, to the drivers in your mouse and your keyboard, to the operating system. Hell, the hundreds of lines of code that keeps your fan going so the whole thing doesn't melt needs to work.

This is all before you click the "Submit Reply". The dozens, if not hundreds, of computers that need to send those packets of data from your computer to the database they sit in is mind boggling in it's own right. The millions of lines of code that has to all just work, and keep working, for the internet to be what it is.

Your post, is proof in itself of its inaccuracies.

Dozens is a stretch on this particular device. It's one of the reasons it works so well, actually.

I could go into what I know about the device's hardware and some speculation about its heritage, but it's unnecessary. The OS and drivers do take some advantage of code re-use, but this particular manufacturer isn't a big fan of it.

My comments were about new code doing new things. OSs are a different entity. Not a single new code project I've ever seen ever came out on time, under budget, and did exactly what the customer wanted when they were sold it. The Internet made this worse, actually. When it cost significant money to ship an upgrade disk to a customer, the industry was a lot more careful about what went into a release and how much it got tested, before shipping.

Today alone this week, I received six patches for six core OS modules with 20+ YEARS to find those bugs. These are core things like an FTP daemon that can trace its lineage all the way back to Berkeley. It still has bugs. It's older than my tech career.

That's a pretty damning statement in any other business, perhaps with Law and Medical Doctors as a good exception. They clearly state they're "practicing" and demand minimum levels of knowledge via professional Board certification. Good luck ever getting programmers to accept that level of mandatory licensure or knowledge requirements. Programmers produce a testable, definable, product. The most common failure is defining what you want it to do and sticking to it.

Why? Because the business impression is that quick code NOW is better than good or even great code later. Case in point...

This week it was found that a non-professional programmer employee at my employer had convinced management to allow him to write, debug himself, and deploy a tool to the desktop of over 100 people. Management allowed him to bypass all controls doing so.

Apparently it had bugs, since all software has bugs, and he used e-mail to distribute a new version without management's blessing and after he'd been told that the Security dept needed to do a peer code review on the FIRST version.

Version 2 apparently did damage. It also didn't work any more at all. By the time my portion of the fiasco came up ("Can we stop distribution of executable files via the mail server?") no less than six staff members were involved in the cleanup, eventually leading to more than ten staff members including managers.

Was the tool worth it? How many bigger projects got pushed out? Do the managers even understand?

Not my questions to decide. But I see that amateur hour play out every single year at every employer I've ever worked at. This isn't some horror story of just one bad management call about software. It's epidemic.

The point of the story is... the software industry lets this happen daily. In thousands of businesses. It's only the extra work put in by folks willing to put up with it, that keeps any of it running. Those mistakes get into commercial software projects by the thousands. It's the ultimate in job security.

30+ years into this industry, you'd think customers would demand better than even having to have people like myself who fix silly avoidable stuff in servers because some unsupervised, uncredentialed, person made a coding mistake years ago, that no one even attempted to peer review.

I've said it for a long time, that from where I sit, the software industry needs to grow up. Certification, Board review of aggregious errors, personal liability for those who say "it's ready to ship" tied to professional licensure, ability for someone to lose their credentials, etc. It works in many many other professional jobs to significantly lower risks.

Pilots spend significant time learning the things they could do that would get their licenses and livelihoods yanked. Coders just get fired and head to the next company, claiming 10 years of experience. Haha. Seriously. Maybe their peers will communicate their displeasure through the grapevine, but it's easy to avoid.

I've also said licensing and accountability is unlikely to happen because it would make computing completely unaffordable.

We've had how many "flash crashes" and "built in circuit breakers" put into our computer-driven financial trading systems now? Is that progress?

How big is the "Network Security" industry because of relatively simple mistakes made in network code never designed originally for un-trusted network traffic?

How much money does it all cost?

One must always ask... Is a filing cabinet 100x cheaper to store this data in than a digital system? Are the benefits high enough to pay for the reality of outages, on-call personnel, and instant access to it?

Last night's "fun" was a 9PM call to another country to reboot a machine who's sole job in the world is to aggregate log files and ship them to the States. The software and servers cost more than my house.

They're not optional, they're required by a third party auditor in our business. The software that's been around for almost a decade, has a bug. A really stupid glaring bug. If the master server is down and not accepting network traffic, the collector software doesn't log to disk. It retains the information in RAM.

Any IDIOT can see this is wrong. It's also not documented. It crashed the box. Well, technically it triggered the operating system's emergency out-of-memory mechanism and the OOM killer randomly chose to kill the remote access software on the system. The box stayed up, but was useless.

We are a SMALL customer of this vendor. Is this the quality level a $500K piece of software should be at? No. How would we have known it was awful, or more appropriately, how would our executives who don't have 20 years of experience have known? They saw a pretty Powerpoint that said the stuff was more than it is, and bought to check off a requirement checkbox. They even say through three vendor's Powerpoint presentations. This company is "industry leading" software in its class.

I knew the stuff was "trouble" the first day I was handed their non-standard software packaging and told, "install it." I could see it was sloppy code that day, and said so.

The purchase decision was looooong under the bridge, and the deadline to meet the auditor's requirement was only a couple of weeks away.

This level of accidental willful ignorance of how systems really work, happens DAILY to every sysadmin I know. And sysadmins are a LOT cheaper than forcing vendors to write good code and then paying the price for it.

When bad code already costs more than my house for two servers plus about ten copies of the collector code, it shows clearly on the books what the cost is, if you look.

The price tag to meet the audit requirements includes two salaries plus benefits minimum -- to babysit the code.

Yes, we do other things. But even if there were no other work, the bad commercial code would still require two babysitters. Or we'd be shut down by our auditors.

As I said, I know where I stand. I'm a lot cheaper than the alternative of buying or demanding something so good from the code that I'd be out of a job.

I've been a code crash cleanup janitor for 21 years now. It's a good living. :)

Estimates are between 6 and 8 million N7s being sold by Xmas. It's huge, and growing, as word spreads that it's possible to unplug from the Apple collective.

And if those hold true, it will take them 6 months, to sell 1/3 of what Apple sold in 3 months.

Again, I am glad Google has a solid tablet with great sales numbers. But "hottest selling tablet in history" it is not.

Dozens is a stretch on this particular device. It's one of the reasons it works so well, actually.

Sorry, not going to spend the time it takes to read all that :p

As for this:

Memory drivers
OS
Hard Drive firmware
Video Drivers
Mouse drivers (even if you run a MS mouse, and a MS operating system, the same company didn't write it)
Sound drivers
Mother Board Firmware
Ethernet driver
Ethernet firmware
Webcam Driver
North bridge driver
usb driver

I just rattled off 12 things that most likely come from 12 different companies. I could do 12 more if need me, but just wanted to post something quick.

If you went line by line for every line of code running right now on your computer, I bet you could attribute them to 100 companies (or individuals in the case of open source) easily.

Hell, that might be true just with your antivirus software.

ok, I lied.. I read it all.

So I remember seeing an interview with Bill Gates when Office 97 came out, and the interviewer asked why it was released with over a thousand known bugs from Office 95 still in it.

His answer was along the lines of "Well we have a fixed amount of money we planned for Office 97, so we sent out a questionare to 40 of our largest customers, and asked them if they wanted us to spend the money on new features, or fix the bugs we currently have. Overwhelmingly they chose new features, so that's where we focused."

Unless your writing software for an F15, it doesn't need to be perfect. In fact, if it is perfect, you most likely waisted your employers money making it so.

P.S. Tonight is OS patch night.

A quick count shows some 50 computers, with an average number of 45 vendor-provided packages per computer, each containing an average of 8 files updated for either a bug or a security fix. (Same thing really, but Security fixes are mandatory in our audited environment.)

That's 18,000 files to change in a single night on the server farm. And this was the LOW risk stuff.

High risk stuff is scheduled for next week after significantly more testing outside of the Production environment, and when there are at least three experts on-call for troubleshooting -- since one of those systems involved and one specific software package, can bring down the entire company. No work at all if it doesn't work. The other three don't destroy the company, but significantly cripple it if they don't work. (e.g. The phones literally won't work. We're a callcenter company.)

Rollback plan is business-critical for those as well. The vendor provides no standard roll-back process in their OS patch distribution system. It's 100% roll-your-own.

This is the OS...! The core stuff that runs the whole computer. Not application software. Stuff the application software relies on working "underneath" it.

None of these bugfixes is more than three months old.

Tonight's updates will be automated, and I'll babysit and spot test every major business critical system for basic functionality post-install.

This is the state of modern server software.

Got backups? ;)

P.S. Tonight is OS patch night.

A quick count shows some 50 computers, with an average number of 45 vendor-provided packages per computer, each containing an average of 8 files updated for either a bug or a security fix. (Same thing really, but Security fixes are mandatory in our audited environment.)

That's 18,000 files to change in a single night on the server farm. And this was the LOW risk stuff.

High risk stuff is scheduled for next week after significantly more testing outside of the Production environment, and when there are at least three experts on-call for troubleshooting -- since one of those systems involved and one specific software package, can bring down the entire company. No work at all if it doesn't work. The other three don't destroy the company, but significantly cripple it if they don't work. (e.g. The phones literally won't work. We're a callcenter company.)

Rollback plan is business-critical for those as well. The vendor provides no standard roll-back process in their OS patch distribution system. It's 100% roll-your-own.

This is the OS...! The core stuff that runs the whole computer. Not application software. Stuff the application software relies on working "underneath" it.

None of these bugfixes is more than three months old.

Tonight's updates will be automated, and I'll babysit and spot test every major business critical system for basic functionality post-install.

This is the state of modern server software.

Got backups? ;)

And that's the way it should be.

I explain it to leadership this way (so it's easier for them to understand).

Security is not about reducing vulnerability. It's about risk mitigation. For example, our company does not have a missile defense system. If someone walked to the top of the hill a few hundred yards away from us, pointed a missile launcher at the building, pulled the trigger, we have nothing to prevent it. Our vulnerability is 100% against missile attacks. However our risk is extremely low, has the likelihood that anyone is going to do it is virtually zero.

We want to spend money to mitigate risk, so dropping a few hundred grand on a missile defense system is a poor use of capital.

However if buildings in the area starting getting shot with missiles, we would probably invest some cash in that area.

It's the same with software. You write software to mitigate risk. However that does not mean you have eliminated every vulnerability. To attempt to do so would make the project take 10x longer, cost 10x more, and you would never sell it, or make a profit from it.

However when the risk goes up (someone figures out a new way to attack you), you spend the investment to reduce your risk.

Perhaps the mods could split this thread in two so those who wish to discuss the history and operation of digital devices and those who wish to read about the use of the Nexus 7 could do so without having to scroll through the other subject posts. :)

Cheers

When Garmin releases the promised update that allows the software to recognize our N7s as tablets (rather than cell phones) it will run properly. Until then, it's marginal, at best.

I find it quite useful as is, but look forward to the tablet features. I spoke to their tech support today (30 min. plus on hold....although I don't think you can even call ForeFlight...but they're very responsive via e-mail). He told me they've had a huge surge of Nexus users. He said he hadn't even had a chance to see one, but was going to go try and find one to look at since it was creating such a buzz. He said their cut off for tablet functionality was 10" and above, with anything below getting the phone version. He said it was an exception that they were going to give the Nexus the tablet features, but didn't have a definitely timeframe ("in the next couple of months or by year end".) He quizzed me quite a bit about my experience with the Nexus.

I've now rigged mine up with all the timers, clearance note-taking and logbook logging apps I need. I like the app switcher in this version of Android. I continue to be impressed by this little device, which will probably prolong the life of my iPad 2 significantly since the urge to upgrade it as subsided dramatically.

I find it quite useful as is, but look forward to the tablet features. I spoke to their tech support today (30 min. plus on hold....although I don't think you can even call ForeFlight...but they're very responsive via e-mail). He told me they've had a huge surge of Nexus users. He said he hadn't even had a chance to see one, but was going to go try and find one to look at since it was creating such a buzz. He said their cut off for tablet functionality was 10" and above, with anything below getting the phone version. He said it was an exception that they were going to give the Nexus the tablet features, but didn't have a definitely timeframe ("in the next couple of months or by year end".) He quizzed me quite a bit about my experience with the Nexus.

I've now rigged mine up with all the timers, clearance note-taking and logbook logging apps I need. I like the app switcher in this version of Android. I continue to be impressed by this little device, which will probably prolong the life of my iPad 2 significantly since the urge to upgrade it as subsided dramatically.

Thanks for the update. I hope they speed it up! Switching between nav and map screens gets old.

If you're the kind of person who has already rooted their Nexus 7 you can make Garmin Pilot use tablet mode by setting the screen DPI setting to 160(I use ROM Toolbox). The downside is that everything gets much smaller since it now thinks you have a larger screen.

If you're the kind of person who has already rooted their Nexus 7 you can make Garmin Pilot use tablet mode by setting the screen DPI setting to 160(I use ROM Toolbox). The downside is that everything gets much smaller since it now thinks you have a larger screen.

Cool beans, thanks -- BUT, our 50+ year-old eyes won't stand for smaller! :nonod:

What other apps are you using? I am taking mine out tomorrow on a short XC for the first time using Naviator. Looking forward to it, but not sure if there are other apps that would be useful on this trip as well?

First problem with my nexus 7.... There appears to be a "soft spot" or something exactly half way up the 7, I can press this spot and the screen gives in this location. Anybody experienced this?

So I have had my Nexus for almost a week now, and I am still not really sure how I like it.

A little background, I am what you would call an Apple "Fanboy" I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro. I love my Apple products and I swear by them both at home and in the cockpit. The reason I bought my Nexus was I needed something small and cheap to take to school($700 iPad just too expensive to risk everyday exposure in a drug ridden public HS)

First impressions:

Boy this Nexus is small, I know its 7 inches but it is really small and light, even with its size and wieght the build quality seems good, fine for everyday use. The back is a dimpled texture which I am not a fan of at all, to me the only reason they did this style was to make it look different from an iPad like device. It has no rear facing camera and the front facing camera is very poor quality. The OS on the Nexus 4.1.1 Jellybean seems quite good and very stable ( the last android device I had ran 2.1) The screen seems fine when on the homepage but once you get into apps (even the ones that are optimized for this device) it seems sub-par. Web browsing is wonderful with the built in Chrome browser, it is very fast and displays web pages nicely. The google voice features are much improved and will kick siri's a$$ all day (in terms of speed to initialize and respond to voice, not in features)

I tried to come up with an objective comparison between my iPad (new iPad 16gb w/LTE) and the Nexus but it was not possible. It is like putting a skyhawk in a race with a Cessna 400 TTx. The price point is completely different between the devices and any comparison is unfair.

Screen- iPad
Speed- iPad
Camera- iPad
Size- Nexus
Build Q- iPad
General usage- iPad

In the Cockpit:

Im going to hold off my comparison until Garmin releases some updates to bring Pilot up to tablet mode on the Nexus. As of right now running Garmin Pilot on the nexus is terrible because it is just the blown up version of the phone app. I was very disappointed that my new Garmin Glo would not hook up to the ipad without downloading a separate app to sync them up, even then I had no idea if the Nexus was drawing it's location data from the internal or the BT GPS...

Anyways any questions feel free to ask.

Be it a $250 Nexus or a $700 iPad, I wouldn't take either anywhere if I thought it was gonna get stolen.

First problem with my nexus 7.... There appears to be a "soft spot" or something exactly half way up the 7, I can press this spot and the screen gives in this location. Anybody experienced this?

Nope. Mine has been perfect, thus far.

Go to the Android forums -- you may find an answer there. (I have learned SO much there, it's just like PofA for tablets!) I haven't read about any soft spots, but I have seen a small number of folks who reported that the screen was sticking up higher than the surrounding aluminum-colored bezel. It's almost like a bad batch got out of a factory somewhere. I don't think it impacted usability -- it seems to be more of a cosmetic issue.

The good news is that (from what I've read) Google has been good about replacing them under warranty. The bad news is that they are out of stock in so many places that receiving a replacement can take a while.

Great information here...I have been bouncing back and forth between the iPad or the Nexus 7. One quick question...if I were to get the nexus 7, does the fact that I won't have a wireless connection in the air pose any issues? I know the GPS signal should be unaffected, but what about the ability to download maps, and diagrams?

Thanks for all the advice here!

Great information here...I have been bouncing back and forth between the iPad or the Nexus 7. One quick question...if I were to get the nexus 7, does the fact that I won't have a wireless connection in the air pose any issues? I know the GPS signal should be unaffected, but what about the ability to download maps, and diagrams?

Thanks for all the advice here!

The antennas on the cellular networks are <generally> aligned so the signal radiates outward, rather than upward. The signal is pretty low powered as well. Which means airborne cellular reception is generally too poor to rely on unless you're at low altitude and over a reasonably populous area.

What you do with Foreflight and other software is download the maps you need before you launch, not in-flight.

The antennas on the cellular networks are <generally> aligned so the signal radiates outward, rather than upward. The signal is pretty low powered as well. Which means airborne cellular reception is generally too poor to rely on unless you're at low altitude and over a reasonably populous area.

What you do with Foreflight and other software is download the maps you need before you launch, not in-flight.

Right, but does it give you real time GPS data? and can you rubberband your route with it?

Right, but does it give you real time GPS data? and can you rubberband your route with it?

GPS data is separate from the cell system and will continue to work without cell coverage. Personally I use a Dual 150 BT GPS that I toss up on the dash, although if I were to buy something now, it would also contain an ADS-B receiver to bring in weather as well as GPS signals. As for rubberbanding, that is a function of the software package you choose and is independent from both cell and GPS.

GPS data is separate from the cell system and will continue to work without cell coverage. Personally I use a Dual 150 BT GPS that I toss up on the dash, although if I were to buy something now, it would also contain an ADS-B receiver to bring in weather as well as GPS signals. As for rubberbanding, that is a function of the software package you choose and is independent from both cell and GPS.

Exactly right.

For example, Naviator lets you rubberband your route on the Nexus 7. Garmin Pilot does not -- yet.

With all tablets, you download the charts onto the unit before you fly, and you would not want to do this over 3G (cellular) if you could avoid it, since wifi is usually way faster.

So, to answer your question, no, the absence of cellular service does not impact these units usage in the air.

This is pretty amazing. Some geek has over-clocked the quad-core Nexus 7 to a smoking 2.0 gigahertz!

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-quad-core-overclocked-to-2-0-ghz-shatters-benchmarks-20120825/

The N7 is already SO much faster than anything else, it's hard to imagine what one could do with a unit that's been jacked up that far.

Probably nothing more then you could do with a stock one with the added benefit of it being much much less stable.

There is a reason manufacturers run things at the speed they do - it's because there are issues cranking up higher. They've figured out what value across all their units on average is the most stable and meets all the environmental specs. Yes it may work for some people that were lucky enough to receive a unit capable of it. But it doesn't mean it'll work fine for your friend's Nexus. Unless you have a lot of free time it's just not worth the trouble.

Exactly right.

For example, Naviator lets you rubberband your route on the Nexus 7. Garmin Pilot does not -- yet.

As I was playing with the Garmin Pilot, this evening on the Nexus 7...... go to the arrow on the upper right. Then choose "graphical plan edit". This allows you to rubberband the route, unless we're talking something different.

LOL! Jay... First it was, "I got a tablet!, next it was, "I tethered my tablet!", now it's jailbreaking and overclocking...

You're sounding like a computer geek in 1997!

Keep this up, and Jesse and I are going to have to come down and convert one of your hotel rooms into a late-90's vintage ISP closet and rack space. ;)

I've got a 100 Meg hub around here somewhere... just order up the T1 and a DSU/CSU. We'll have you surfing the Net at 1.544 Mb/s in no time! Hot grits!

I probably could dig up some old copies of ZDTV shows for ya too. ;) ;) ;)

What turned on the geek gene? Haha.

As I was playing with the Garmin Pilot, this evening on the Nexus 7...... go to the arrow on the upper right. Then choose "graphical plan edit". This allows you to rubberband the route, unless we're talking something different.

Cool, thanks. I will check that out.

LOL! Jay... First it was, "I got a tablet!, next it was, "I tethered my tablet!", now it's jailbreaking and overclocking...

You're sounding like a computer geek in 1997!

Keep this up, and Jesse and I are going to have to come down and convert one of your hotel rooms into a late-90's vintage ISP closet and rack space. ;)

I've got a 100 Meg hub around here somewhere... just order up the T1 and a DSU/CSU. We'll have you surfing the Net at 1.544 Mb/s in no time! Hot grits!

I probably could dig up some old copies of ZDTV shows for ya too. ;) ;) ;)

What turned on the geek gene? Haha.

Actually, I've suppressed my computer geekdom for two decades. I used to build my own computers into the early '90s.

Then, I had kids. Lol

Heck, you're talking to a guy who successfully networked 386SXs in a business environment -- in 1988. That, my friends, took magic.
:)

(Those 386SXs cost $3800 apiece in 1988 dollars, BTW.)

The stuff we've got nowadays is nothing short of astounding.

I used my Nexus 7 today with Naviator on a short XC...LOVED IT! It does exactly what I was hoping it would do. I plan on buying a subscription to Naviator. Here is a crummy pic of it in action.

Attachments

• 2012-08-26 12.58.55.jpg
    2012-08-26 12.58.55.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 34
I used my Nexus 7 today with Naviator on a short XC...LOVED IT! It does exactly what I was hoping it would do. I plan on buying a subscription to Naviator. Here is a crummy pic of it in action.

Hey, I used that exact set up yesterday, too. We flew up the island chain to an awesome new airport restaurant, the Crosswinds Cafe, at SW Texas Regional airport. KLBX

(Highly recommend this place for lunch, dinner, BTW.)

The N7 is great in that RAM system yoke-mount cradle. You can take it out in 2 seconds (unlike every other yoke mount I've ever owned), yet it's 100% solid and secure. Its a great design.

Jay,

Really? You need a reality check. Here you go. Watch it and weep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02GD9eMGuc

Sorry, nexus 7 loses.

You get what you pay for.

This is pretty amazing. Some geek has over-clocked the quad-core Nexus 7 to a smoking 2.0 gigahertz!

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-quad-core-overclocked-to-2-0-ghz-shatters-benchmarks-20120825/

The N7 is already SO much faster than anything else, it's hard to imagine what one could do with a unit that's been jacked up that far.

Jay,

Sorry, nexus 7 loses.

That's got to be one of the dumbest tests I've seen yet. None of those things matter.

And I'm an iPad fan. But I'll back Jay up, and say, who cares on any of that stuff he benchmarked? 1/2 second longer on one than the other? You'll never notice it in day to day operation.

Turning off the pre-cache on Chrome was completely unfair, as opposed to the doofus saying it made it fair. Google put the feature in Chrome for a reason.

What I saw that *was* useful was, that the larger screen on the right was easier to read, and the glare between the two was almost identical in dodo bird's bad lighting setup for video, there. ;)

He did not show the brightness settings, but the larger field of white in the camera's overall field of view from the iPad was also closing down the camera iris and making the 7 look worse than it was. You can see it at points where the iPad goes black, and the 7 is still displaying something... significant change in iris closure in the video camera at that point.

Not a whole lot of value as far as user-experience in that video. Just some dude making up his own racing game in his own head to draw hits to his website.

That is his quote below. So the video test IS directly applicable.
So you are saying that you "back Jay up", who made the statement below and then say the test is not relevant? Did we watch the same speed tests?

The test is only measuring the speed of the two. I don't see where the Nexus is "so much faster".

BTW, the author of the video did state it was ONLY A SPEED COMPARISON.

"The N7 is already SO much faster than anything else, it's hard to imagine what one could do with a unit that's been jacked up that far."

That's got to be one of the dumbest tests I've seen yet. None of those things matter.

And I'm an iPad fan. But I'll back Jay up, and say, who cares on any of that stuff he benchmarked? 1/2 second longer on one than the other? You'll never notice it in day to day operation.

Turning off the pre-cache on Chrome was completely unfair, as opposed to the doofus saying it made it fair. Google put the feature in Chrome for a reason.

What I saw that *was* useful was, that the larger screen on the right was easier to read, and the glare between the two was almost identical in dodo bird's bad lighting setup for video, there. ;)

He did not show the brightness settings, but the larger field of white in the camera's overall field of view from the iPad was also closing down the camera iris and making the 7 look worse than it was. You can see it at points where the iPad goes black, and the 7 is still displaying something... significant change in iris closure in the video camera at that point.

Not a whole lot of value as far as user-experience in that video. Just some dude making up his own racing game in his own head to draw hits to his website.

Jay,

Sorry, nexus 7 loses.

When I dozed off, at about the 3:30 mark, the N7 was tied with the Core's product, which cost more than twice as much as the N7. The speed races it "lost" were by half a second or less, and measured by opening some apps, but not others.

When we are measuring differences so slight, we have truly reached computer nirvana.... And in other measurable ways, the N7 is faster.

I refer you back to your comment of " the nexus is SO much faster than everything else."

I'm up for disscussion on the "other measurable ways."

In other good news, apple is confirmed that it is releasing the IPad mini in Oct.

When I dozed off, at about the 3:30 mark, the N7 was tied with the Core's product, which cost more than twice as much as the N7. The speed races it "lost" were by half a second or less, and measured by opening some apps, but not others.

When we are measuring differences so slight, we have truly reached computer nirvana.... And in other measurable ways, the N7 is faster.

Back