iPad vs. Nexus 7

Google didn't buy Motorola to build phones. They bought it for the Intellectual Property portfolio. An IP portfolio is a weapon, and large companies with large IP portfolios engage in a tactic better known by it's Cold War name: mutually assured destruction.

You see, even when a company tries it's best to design something that does not infringe on the patents of another, it probably has some element that encroaches on said patent. Having your own large portfolio means that *if* you get sued for infringement you can sue back for some infringement that the other guy makes of your patent (all bets are off if it's a patent troll doing the suing).

So, as Apple has sued Samsung for infringement involving Android phones, it's widely believed that this is a test case - if they win, it's expected that they'll then sue Google. By having this portfolio, Google can be in a position to potentially countersue. More likely, A & G will settle with a mutual licensing agreement. Whether or not G will step up to defend Samsung is an unknown question. It's also interesting that Samsung is a significant supplier to Apple.

Once that is considered, the purchase price is easily rationalized. That they get the ability to design & build phones is icing on the cake (and provides a way of ensuring that they can still build/sell devices even if Samsung goes down).

While this is all true, if you're insinuating that Google always intended to destroy 4000 people's livelihoods and wreck a business just to get IP, their leadership is far more evil than I suspected.

I was going with "just plain stupid" up until you state that their priority never was their employees they purchased.

"Do no evil" my ass. Greedy conniving bastards playing with 4000 people's lives, instead.

Apple too, of course. But at least they're generally forthright about it and aren't manipulating the market with loss-leader products.

It's all just "good for consumers" right? Companies destroying other companies for IP while the staff is the cannon fodder?

While this is all true, if you're insinuating that Google always intended to destroy 4000 people's livelihoods and wreck a business just to get IP, their leadership is far more evil than I suspected.

I was going with "just plain stupid" up until you state that their priority never was their employees they purchased.

"Do no evil" my ass. Greedy conniving bastards playing with 4000 people's lives, instead.

Apple too, of course. But at least they're generally forthright about it and aren't manipulating the market with loss-leader products.

It's all just "good for consumers" right? Companies destroying other companies for IP while the staff is the cannon fodder?

You can only buy what someone is selling. There is a reason Motorola split off it's mobile division, and sold it. It was loosing money the tune of 137 million over 6 months.

If Google (or someone else) had not bought it, how long do you think those 4,000 people would have a job?

EDIT: I looked it up. It's more like 20,000 jobs.

wow.

btw, everything wsuffa said is 100% accurate. It's why Microsoft, Apple, Google, and several others step all over each others patents. They get away with it, because they have enough ammo to fire back if they ever get sued.
Which is what is busted about the whole system because the little guy can't compete and get stomped on by their armies of attorneys and patents.

In order to get the important asset, Google had to buy the whole company. Once they had a money losing division, they had 3 choices: 1) fix it, 2) sell it off to someone who might buy it, or 3) close it down. In scenario 3, all the employees would have been fired. Under scenario 2, they would lose value and know-how (to use that IP, they needed cellphone engineers, which are not exactly easy to find off-the-street) and besides they may have designs on building their own devices (ala Apple). Scenario 1 is what happened.

Many (if not most) large acquisitions end up with folks being laid off. A combined company doesn't need two sets of accountants, two sets of software engineers, etc. Example: when Cingular bought AT&T Wireless they cut about 7000 jobs (google it ;) ). You reassess your business needs & decide your workforce requirements based on your strategy.

That's true whether the buyer is a strategic buyer or private equity.

You are lucky - when your company got bought, the new owners didn't clean house.

Google may, in the end, be "evil" but not as a result of this acquisition integration.

I would be willing to bet that Apple has laid off folks after doing their acquisitions - they are not so public about it.

Which is what is busted about the whole system because the little guy can't compete and get stomped on by their armies of attorneys and patents.

Completely correct. The little guy is usually at a big disadvantage unless he/she has some compelling, protected intellectual property that he/she can leverage. Patent lawsuits are 1) very expensive, and 2) often require that you disclose proprietary info. Even in the Apple/Samsung case, Samsung has been forced to disclose proprietary information - that information gives Apple a market advantage that they otherwise might not have had.

You can only buy what someone is selling. There is a reason Motorola split off it's mobile division, and sold it. It was loosing money the tune of 137 million over 6 months.

If Google (or someone else) had not bought it, how long do you think those 4,000 people would have a job?

EDIT: I looked it up. It's more like 20,000 jobs.

It's 4000 layoffs at a 20,000 job division. Thus, the confusion.

So the strategy to destroy the employees lives is okay because Motorola leadership was already headed there? Awesome. Let's buy some stuff and run it just as badly as the last guys. (If I recall, most of the Mobility leadership stayed and some even ended up on the Board, didn't they? Not on a real PC to go look.)

That's pretty twisted and sick. But about par for the course these days. It's what masquerades as responsible business practices.

But hey, misanthropic sociopaths make great "leaders" of people, just check out the best seller book list!

Biographies galore, and the lost masses eat them up.

Business. Wear a helmet. None of those ass-hats standing in the front of the room making speeches about how the company is "one big family" will be inviting you over for Thanksgiving dinner after they toss a pink slip on your desk to keep the stock price high enough to keep the BMW.

Ethics don't matter anymore to any of these folk unless they're directing the PR department to make the company look like a worthy corporate citizen.

Then it's all TV cameras and fake smiles. Old Man Potter would be proud. Maybe even a tearful stint on "Undercover CEO". ROFL. Such propaganda. Amazing.

Business. Wear a helmet. None of those ass-hats standing in the front of the room making speeches about how the company is "one big family" will be inviting you over for Thanksgiving dinner after they toss a pink slip on your desk to keep the stock price high enough to keep the BMW.

Never been fired or laid off, and I never will.

I am in the "don't fire that guy, he makes me to much money" business. I didn't get there by accident.

If you want to guarantee you have a job, put yourself in a position of value. Hoping the guy that signs your checks has a heart isn't really a sound way to make a living.

Oh, by the wany, Nate, if you look at the tech news today you'll see that Apple is rumored to be laying off a lot of folks.

To complete my thought from the other post, my bet is that G didn't have particular layoff plans when they bought Moto, but knew they had to "fix" the business.

So the strategy to destroy the employees lives is okay because Motorola leadership was already headed there? Awesome.

Just out of curiosity:

Let's say right out of college you were given a job, worked hard, and was paid a fair salary. about 5 years into your work, another company comes along, with great benefits, awesome place to work, and offers you 50% more then you are currently making.

Are you going to say "thanks, but I care about the company I work for, and I am going to put there interests ahead of mine"?

While you might have some loyalty for the company you work for, I doubt you would put there interests ahead of yours. If that's the case (and often times it is), why do you think you somehow deserve being treated any different?

Last edited:
Never been fired or laid off, and I never will.

I am in the "don't fire that guy, he makes me to much money" business. I didn't get there by accident.

If you want to guarantee you have a job, put yourself in a position of value. Hoping the guy that signs your checks has a heart isn't really a sound way to make a living.

I made one place $1.5M a quarter in 1993-4. It hasn't really gone down much since then.

If you think just because you make someone boatloads of cash they won't toss you out, you're wrong. It just takes longer and crazier circumstances.

You won't have fun finding that out. I didn't.

No one is irreplaceable. (Well, there are a tiny few, but I'm doubting you're on that list.)

I made one place $1.5M a quarter in 1993-4. It hasn't really gone down much since then.

If you think just because you make someone boatloads of cash they won't toss you out, you're wrong. It just takes longer and crazier circumstances.

You won't have fun finding that out. I didn't.

No one is irreplaceable. (Well, there are a tiny few, but I'm doubting you're on that list.)

I am not on that list. However as 43 years old, if someone is going to fire me, they better do it soon. I am getting close to not working.

Also, if I was to get fired, I would find work quickly. The job I have now I found in a week. The one before that found me.

I am not saying I am something special. I am saying if you have value, smart people keep you around. I have always worked for smart people.

Let's say right out of college you were given a job, worked hard, and was paid a fair salary. about 5 years into your work, another company comes along, with great benefits, awesome place to work, and offers you 50% more then you are currently making.

Are you going to say "thanks, but I care about the company I work for, and I am going to put there interests ahead of mine"?

While you might have some loyalty for the company you work for, I doubt you would put there interests ahead of yours. If that's the case (and often times it is), why do you think you somehow deserve being treated any different?

Heh. Have actually had that happen in tech. Looked at the company's financials and asked around and decided someone was eventually going to go to jail. Said no. They avoided jail, barely.

Two places I would have had that kind of loyalty for...

One was Texaco of the 80s. Glad I didn't stay, the SEC destroyed the company in the Chevron merger and forced it into the arms of BP, who was a hated player and still maintains the worst safety record of all of them. Texaco was impressive back then. And 20 years meant something. Well, it meant a buy-out for most in the Chevron fiasco, but something.

The second was where I was employee #42 and built the place from the ground up. I was tossed along with 90% of the staff two months after 9/11 and one month after buying my first house. It was a splendid Christmas.

The owners had grand plans, the Red Herring was even printed and distributed, and it was destroyed. Hardest I've ever worked. 70 hour weeks were light ones. It led to absolutely nothing. The owners sold the place for a cool $3.5M each in their pockets, three years later to a competitor. A tiny few key people got some Founder's shares which never amounted to much. Certainly not the years of insanity and long weeks.

I never took a dime of unemployment (probably a mistake in hindsight), was out of work for a year, and never missed a mortgage payment.

So I have very little tolerance for those who can't live up to contracts they signed and need "bail-outs". And even less tolerance for BS businesspeople's false promises and stories of "family".

Cash on the barrel head today, or I walk. Equity is gravy and I never expect it to lead to anything. If it does, I'm mildly surprised.

I also watch the financials like a hawk if the employer is public. My current employer wasn't, but just got bought by a public company. I'm out of practice so I'm going to have to go spend some quality time with the 10Ks now... Ugh.

If you don't think I'm serious about watching closely, I sold PLCM at $32 and quit. Look up the graph.

When the Board ousted Bob for Andy... I saw what was coming. It was also telling that the only guy who survived the upper-level coup was the CFO. That's always a bad sign. Andy pumped and dumped and I was right there with him. Almost to the day he was allowed to by the SEC.

Don't worry, I complain and whine, but also know these are all "First World Problems" and know quite well that compared to most I'm livin' good. I'm not looking for a job at the Alang shipyard yet.

Just clashes with how I was raised. Two grandfathers worked for companies more than 20 years. One went to work for a second company for another 15. That kind of company loyalty and business ethics died in my parent's generation, not mine. I will never respect the stock price artists, though.

(Sorry this is long, you asked. I typed it up over a couple of hours on the iPad while doing other stuff. Had to show a developer how to see whether his code he released to his bosses and the release folks was actually the code put out on the production servers on July 25th. Staging matched Production, so if there's something broken, it's between the Dev machines and the Staging machine. Will dig into that one tomorrow, if they ask for assistance. Kinda stepping on their toes, since they manage that process and those machines. He will probably find it tonight. That would be best. His bosses might wonder why an Infrastructure guy is nosing around their Dev farm. Heh.)

wow.

btw, everything wsuffa said is 100% accurate. It's why Microsoft, Apple, Google, and several others step all over each others patents. They get away with it, because they have enough ammo to fire back if they ever get sued.

However while I am glad this is news to you, and you have learned something, it didn't require such an insult to the rest of the community in order to say thank you.

I find the sludge to be the exception here, and not the norm.

It always amazes me how some people always find themselves offended. :rolleyes:

Heh. Have actually had that happen in tech. Looked at the company's financials and asked around and decided someone was eventually going to go to jail. Said no. They avoided jail, barely.

Two places I would have had that kind of loyalty for...

One was Texaco of the 80s. Glad I didn't stay, the SEC destroyed the company in the Chevron merger and forced it into the arms of BP, who was a hated player and still maintains the worst safety record of all of them. Texaco was impressive back then. And 20 years meant something. Well, it meant a buy-out for most in the Chevron fiasco, but something.

The second was where I was employee #42 and built the place from the ground up. I was tossed along with 90% of the staff two months after 9/11 and one month after buying my first house. It was a splendid Christmas.

The owners had grand plans, the Red Herring was even printed and distributed, and it was destroyed. Hardest I've ever worked. 70 hour weeks were light ones. It led to absolutely nothing. The owners sold the place for a cool $3.5M each in their pockets, three years later to a competitor. A tiny few key people got some Founder's shares which never amounted to much. Certainly not the years of insanity and long weeks.

I never took a dime of unemployment (probably a mistake in hindsight), was out of work for a year, and never missed a mortgage payment.

So I have very little tolerance for those who can't live up to contracts they signed and need "bail-outs". And even less tolerance for BS businesspeople's false promises and stories of "family".

Cash on the barrel head today, or I walk. Equity is gravy and I never expect it to lead to anything. If it does, I'm mildly surprised.

I also watch the financials like a hawk if the employer is public. My current employer wasn't, but just got bought by a public company. I'm out of practice so I'm going to have to go spend some quality time with the 10Ks now... Ugh.

If you don't think I'm serious about watching closely, I sold PLCM at $32 and quit. Look up the graph.

When the Board ousted Bob for Andy... I saw what was coming. It was also telling that the only guy who survived the upper-level coup was the CFO. That's always a bad sign. Andy pumped and dumped and I was right there with him. Almost to the day he was allowed to by the SEC.

Don't worry, I complain and whine, but also know these are all "First World Problems" and know quite well that compared to most I'm livin' good. I'm not looking for a job at the Alang shipyard yet.

Just clashes with how I was raised. Two grandfathers worked for companies more than 20 years. One went to work for a second company for another 15. That kind of company loyalty and business ethics died in my parent's generation, not mine. I will never respect the stock price artists, though.

(Sorry this is long, you asked. I typed it up over a couple of hours on the iPad while doing other stuff. Had to show a developer how to see whether his code he released to his bosses and the release folks was actually the code put out on the production servers on July 25th. Staging matched Production, so if there's something broken, it's between the Dev machines and the Staging machine. Will dig into that one tomorrow, if they ask for assistance. Kinda stepping on their toes, since they manage that process and those machines. He will probably find it tonight. That would be best. His bosses might wonder why an Infrastructure guy is nosing around their Dev farm. Heh.)

Every time I read this stuff, I am reminded of why I chucked the whole corporate world (for the third and hopefully final time) back in 2002. Don't wanna go back, ever.

So the strategy to destroy the employees lives is okay because Motorola leadership was already headed there? Awesome. Let's buy some stuff and run it just as badly as the last guys. (If I recall, most of the Mobility leadership stayed and some even ended up on the Board, didn't they? Not on a real PC to go look.)

I think this is a little harsh. Not every product that fails is a result of bad company leadership. Sometimes the product can't compete, the brand got a bad name for whatever reason, or it just plain is not what people want. Are companies obligated to keep running a loss to retain jobs?

Before you answer, consider this: these are publicly traded companies, and the responsibility of the leadership is to the shareholders who actually own the company, not to the employees. This is a legal obligation, and if the board intentionally runs losses they can be sued by the shareholders.

An analogy: You buy a Garmin 496. All you want it for is the GPS. Sure, it does XM weather, but you don't care about that, you want the GPS functionality and that's it...you are willing to pay for the XM hardware to get the GPS you do want, but don't want to use the XM.

Are you an evil bastard because you don't activate an XM subscription on the device, just because you don't want to lose $50 a month on something you won't use? After all, XM and all its employees depend on the revenues from subscriptions to feed their families!

I'm really not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that these are business decisions, not moral decisions. Google does a lot of bad stuff IMO, but buying a company to get a portion of it and dismantling the parts that don't make money doesn't fall into that category to me.

Are you an evil bastard because you don't activate an XM subscription on the device, just because you don't want to lose $50 a month on something you won't use? After all, XM and all its employees depend on the revenues from subscriptions to feed their families!

I'm really not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that these are business decisions, not moral decisions. Google does a lot of bad stuff IMO, but buying a company to get a portion of it and dismantling the parts that don't make money doesn't fall into that category to me.

Well put. No business or job is eternal, and no one owes you a damned thing.

If this was taught in schools, we would all be better off. Failure is as essential to our capitalist system as is success.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My comments were very specific to Motorola, Motorola Mobility, and Google. There's plenty of documentation and industry knowledge showing this overall fiasco was brought by deliberate and willful management decisions to divest and destroy the original company. No different than say, the love most of the aviation field feels for a Frank Lorenzo.

My general assertion is that these types of so called "leaders" are what the in-bred Boards of Directors typically want these days, also. Mostly because Boards aren't made up of the sorts of people investors think they are or should be in Corporate governance. These aren't your WWII-raised folk who were fiercely competitive but also knew they were all ultimately on a bigger team, doing good things for their people and even the Country. These are typically their highly-competitive children who never wanted to be on the same team.

I am not of the opinion that ALL company's leadership are evil. (And I truly do mean evil when I say it. Moral-less if you like that word better.) But there are an awful lot who are.

The Motorola/Google situation started when Motorola was wildly successful with StarTac and especially RAZOR products, and leadership started changing after they got lazy and lost their edge. Similar to what people are worried/predicting for Apple post-Jobs. That one remains to be seen. But Moto had the tiger by the tail vs. only Nokia at one point in their cellular line. Then they strategically changed course willfully to play money games instead of choosing to innovate, and their fate was sealed toward replacing good leadership with mediocre leadership staff who drove the bus into the MBA/let's play with the stock price, ground.

their fate was sealed toward replacing good leadership with mediocre leadership staff who drove the bus into the MBA/let's play with the stock price, ground.

Wait a minute there, I've got an MBA, and...

This is my biggest pet peeve with many of today's business leaders. They attempt to manage the stock price, rather than the business. It is probably a result of their stock option based compensation.

My employer, now a part of Berkshire Hathaway, fell into this trap for a lost decade prior to being acquired by Berkshire. We chased this quarter's earnings projections to the detriment of the next quarter and to the overall business. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Berkshire said "We don't care about next quarter's earnings. Do the smart things long term and the profit and cashflow will handle themselves." Truer words were never spoken.

Oh, and Jay...

I went by Staples today and looked at the Nexus 7. Very nice little tablet with a good display. Also, it seemed to process things quickly. It'll be interesting how the iPad mini compares. That size platform fits my cockpit much better than a full size tablet.

Oh, and Jay...

I went by Staples today and looked at the Nexus 7. Very nice little tablet with a good display. Also, it seemed to process things quickly. It'll be interesting how the iPad mini compares. That size platform fits my cockpit much better than a full size tablet.

The thing has taken over, supplanting my laptop almost completely. This is what I hoped the iPad would do, but it just never quite made it.

Staples is advertising the best price I've seen, BTW. $234 for the 16gb model.

Anandtech had this chart for screen brightness... Just as discussion fodder... Since we're kinda also talking about whether or not it could be used in aircraft...

46c4c195-a632-96bf.jpg

The latest rumor I have seen reported is the iPad "mini" will be announced on Sept 12 along with the new iPhone.

Think I will wait to then to make the comparison. If it has a new connector as also rumored, I will also wait for an adapter for my Bad Elf which might make the same dimension as my iPad anyway. :rolleyes:

Cheers

The Motorola/Google situation started when Motorola was wildly successful with StarTac and especially RAZOR products, and leadership started changing after they got lazy and lost their edge. Similar to what people are worried/predicting for Apple post-Jobs. That one remains to be seen. But Moto had the tiger by the tail vs. only Nokia at one point in their cellular line. Then they strategically changed course willfully to play money games instead of choosing to innovate, and their fate was sealed toward replacing good leadership with mediocre leadership staff who drove the bus into the MBA/let's play with the stock price, ground.

So, how exactly is it Google's fault? Because they had to take the action? Sure sounds like you've described a situation where Moto made the decisions that led to the problem, then Google had to make it profitable.

Look, I'm no fan of a lot of G's practices - especially when it comes to personal data collection, data mining, and privacy - but having to address an issue that was started by the previous owner/management is not something that I'd get worked up about. It's part of business.

Wait a minute there, I've got an MBA, and...

This is my biggest pet peeve with many of today's business leaders. They attempt to manage the stock price, rather than the business. It is probably a result of their stock option based compensation.

My employer, now a part of Berkshire Hathaway, fell into this trap for a lost decade prior to being acquired by Berkshire. We chased this quarter's earnings projections to the detriment of the next quarter and to the overall business. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Berkshire said "We don't care about next quarter's earnings. Do the smart things long term and the profit and cashflow will handle themselves." Truer words were never spoken.

Berkshire (and many private equity owners) follow that same credo: build the business for the longer term.

The quarterly earnings issue falls from Wall Street. A lot's been written about that, some accurate, some not. Stock-option compensation is really not the driver as most options carry multi-year vesting (same with restricted stock, which has replaced options in most companies). Having said that, it's also known that precipitous drops in stock prices DO impact hiring/retention ability when key employees are largely compensated by options/stock & competitors are performing better. I think Facebook is about to learn that....

I could go into more, but not here. It's tied to a lot of different factors.

My guess is if they do use a new connector, they will also announce an adapter for it.

All depends if they are rapacious capitalists focused on the short term and want to make people buy all new accessories or Benevolent Dictators of Tech focused on the long term.:D

I couldn't resist.:lol:

Cheers

All depends if they are rapacious capitalists focused on the short term and want to make people buy all new accessories or Benevolent Dictators of Tech focused on the long term.:D

I couldn't resist.:lol:

Cheers

lol, well Apple doesn't make much money on iPhone accessories (other then the small percentage of total sold in there Apple stores).

I think the profit they make off a $29 adapter that cost them 75 cents to make wins in both cases.

Also if they don't, Monoprice will have one in a week for $3, so mine as well.

Anandtech had this chart for screen brightness... Just as discussion fodder... Since we're kinda also talking about whether or not it could be used in aircraft...

46c4c195-a632-96bf.jpg

That chart is really surprising. Either the parameter they are using to measure brightness is too fine for the eye to detect, the scale on the graph is too coarse, or my wife, daughter and I are crazy. We all agree that the Nexus 7 is as bright as my iPad, and it is easily usable in the plane. We have flown with it since before Oshkosh, and brightness has not been an issue.

BTW: For those who are impatiently waiting for Garmin to release an update to the Garmin Pilot software that will recognize the Nexus 7 as a tablet (so that we can stop toggling back and forth between Navigation and Map screens), here is Garmin's reponse to my inquiry on Twitter:

"We’re working on a new release of Garmin Pilot to support the Nexus 7. We’ll keep you posted on availability here on Twitter."

For some reason, Garmin's support has no effective "Contact Me" webpage (if you click on it, it goes to a broken link) -- but their "Twitter Team" answers inquiries almost instantly.

Negative. This one:

ramb166un8.jpg

ramb166un8iu5.jpg

Thanks. That looks much nicer than the other style I was originally looking at. For some reason I have finding their website difficult to use. What other pieces to I need to mount this thing to a yoke? I ended up writing to their customer service, but I will probably get a quicker response here.

PS...this is the right one correct? Your image shows a Nexus 7, this one doesnt...

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...77045072079076045085078056066085/Default.aspx

Thanks. That looks much nicer than the other style I was originally looking at. For some reason I have finding their website difficult to use. What other pieces to I need to mount this thing to a yoke? I ended up writing to their customer service, but I will probably get a quicker response here.

PS...this is the right one correct? Your image shows a Nexus 7, this one doesnt...

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...77045072079076045085078056066085/Default.aspx

That's showing the ii. I think the N7 needs the larger iii. You will also need the yoke clamp that the holder attaches to.

Yeah, I find their site to be awkward, too. Of course, displaying the virtually infinite number of combinations RAM sells must be quite a challenge.

It's another reason to go to OSH, BTW. I only buy this kind of stuff there, where I can "try before I buy".

The guys at RAM responded really fast, and gave me these part numbers. I am excited to use my new GPS next weekend!

Product Numbers:
RAM-HOL-UN8BU
RAM-B-201U
RAM-B-121BU

Back