iPad vs. Nexus 7

If they send the attachment it's ok, when they ask for a file is where it creates the Charlie foxtrot.

If for example, somebody asks for a photo or a pdf or whatever I have on the iPad, I just open it and email like the Professor on the iPad Academy link describes. Couple of clicks, a brief note and off it goes as requested. If I need to create something as an attachment by using the iPad word processing S/W, Pages, I save it and same process. Pages is a $10 App but thats cheap to me compared to a full MS Office Suite.

What am I missing? Just trying to figure out what the problem might be.:dunno:

There is another really PITA problem and that is printing. I have a fine HP Wireless All in One but the iPad is tuned to AirPrint Printers. I do have an app from HP ePrint that works on occasion for email, photos and web sites but it is hit or miss at best as is usual for HP. Several other workarounds are available but why the iPad just couldn't find a wireless printer and simply print is beyond me. I have no desire to get an AirPrint Printer just to satisfy their whim.

Cheers

You're wrong. The iPad 1 was a groundbreaking device and received extraordinarily well by the market as evidenced by sales numbers and developer support. There was nothing else like it on the market at that time. If it wasn't for the iOS devices, Android wouldn't exist, or at least not in its current form.

Ground breaking, yes. Ready for prime time? Nope.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where some idiot suggested that everyone use the Apple music program to add/delete files. Sheer lunacy, and it's gratifying to see that they got away from that model in the later, ready-for-primetime models of the iPad.

Garmin Pilot runs just fine on an iPad 1; I know because I have one and did extensive testing of the Pilot application on it.

Interesting. When I tried to download it, I was met with an error message stating that it needed iOS version blah blah blah in order to run. And then, when I tried to update the OS, I was met with another error message stating that it wouldn't run on my iPad.

Typical Apple BS. When it works, it works perfectly. When it doesn't work, work arounds are made as difficult as possible.

The biggest liability of that particular combination is the Pilot app itself, which is still RIDDLED with bugs in just about every area of the program, and I was quite disappointed that the last two updates didn't fix nearly any of the small but obvious bugs (which I reported months ago, by the way.)

I agree, the Garmin Pilot software is a surprisingly amateurish effort for a company of Garmin's stature. I'm hopeful that they get it right, but we'll just have to wait and see.

When people get it in there mind they don't like something, it usually means to them that the product itself sucks.

I remember 100 years ago when I was evaluating word processors for our company, back when you had wordstar, wordperfect, and textra.

After talking with 50 people or so about what was the "best", they all had strong opinions, and they were all different.

It came down to the one they knew the best was awesome, and all the others sucks.

Jay's opinion if the iPad has a lot more to do with Jay, then it does the iPad. That, or Jay is right, and millions of others are wrong.

I always find it interesting that most people agree with the statement: "Most Americans are dumb as bricks." -- but would also agree with the statement that "Because millions of Americans bought an iPad, it's fantastic." :rolleyes:

I always find it interesting that most people agree with the statement: "Most Americans are dumb as bricks." -- but would also agree with the statement that "Because millions of Americans bought an iPad, it's fantastic." :rolleyes:
I consider myself at least slightly more intelligent then the average brick and do in fact believe the iPad to be fantastic. The iPad 1 was an absolute game changer for everyone.

The iPad 2 I have is without a doubt the most useful pilot tool I have.

Sometimes Jay you just have to realize that something may not be for you but it's not junk. It's just not for you. The problem is that you don't seem to be able to express that. Instead you more or less think everything that doesn't meet your needs is junk. That is a pretty clouded view on things :)

I have both, iPad and the Nexus 7. Right now, I prefer the iPad mainly for compatibility with Foreflight. I anticipate the mini iPad to be a game changer. I actually prefer the size of the Nexus 7, both in the cockpit and around the house. I am invested in iOS apps, so I'm not ready to ditch the iPad.

I have now had the Nexus for several weeks, and continue to be amazed at what it can do, and how well it does these tasks.

My daughter just bought one. Her best friend just bought one. Sam's Club is sold out of 'em. This thing is really taking on a life of its own.

Last night my daughter wanted to share a document with me. We simply touched the N7s together, the thing made a weird/cool noise -- and the document was on MY N7.

I've been using CoPilot -- a stand-alone car GPS app -- when driving. It's fantastic, and the N7 is just the right size to set on the pull-out ash-tray cup-holder in my truck.

I've got live traffic and weather in my plane, for free, yoke mounted on the N7. Try THAT with an iPad.

I've plugged it into my laptop, and used it like a thumb-drive. Try THAT trick with an iPad!

It fits in my pocket. It shows 1080p movies. I can add/delete files without using iTunes.

It's rugged (see the on-line drop test comparison with the iPad) and, best of all, it's $200 bucks. If I lose it or break it, it'll hurt, but I don't have to treat it like the crown jewels all the time.

It is everything for me that the iPad could have -- no, SHOULD have -- been, were it not 3" too wide, and saddled with an Apple OS.

I consider myself at least slightly more intelligent then the average brick and do in fact believe the iPad to be fantastic. The iPad 1 was an absolute game changer for everyone.

The iPad 2 I have is without a doubt the most useful pilot tool I have.

Sometimes Jay you just have to realize that something may not be for you but it's not junk. It's just not for you. The problem is that you don't seem to be able to express that. Instead you more or less think everything that doesn't meet your needs is junk. That is a pretty clouded view on things :)

No, I'm just not afraid to express an opinion, even after spending hundreds or thousands of dollars.

This differs greatly from most people, and I appreciate that. Most people who spent $3700 on the 496 were absolutely aghast when I ripped the thing to shreds. It's as if when they invest so much in something, it becomes a part of them, and any attack on the device becomes personal.

Same with the iPad/iPhone/iAnything. If you don't absolutely love them, Apple people think you're crazy. It's funny, actually. :wink2:

Where I'm sitting, if I've spent the money on the damned things, I have the right -- no, the duty -- to give them a thorough, unvarnished review. I wish more people would do this.

No, I'm just not afraid to express an opinion, even after spending hundreds or thousands of dollars.

This differs greatly from most people, and I appreciate that. Most people who spent $3700 on the 496 were absolutely aghast when I ripped the thing to shreds. It's as if when they invest so much in something, it becomes a part of them, and any attack on the device becomes personal.

Same with the iPad/iPhone/iAnything. If you don't absolutely love them, Apple people think you're crazy. It's funny, actually. :wink2:

Where I'm sitting, if I've spent the money on the damned things, I have the right -- no, the duty -- to give them a thorough, unvarnished review. I wish more people would do this.
FWIW -- Apple has given me many times more money then I've ever given them...and I used their products to make that happen. I like them :)

Sounds like a good racket. How does that work?

I develop software for the iOS platform. People buy it on the App store, Apple takes their cut, I get the rest.

I have now had the Nexus for several weeks, and continue to be amazed at what it can do, and how well it does these tasks.

My daughter just bought one. Her best friend just bought one. Sam's Club is sold out of 'em. This thing is really taking on a life of its own.

Last night my daughter wanted to share a document with me. We simply touched the N7s together, the thing made a weird/cool noise -- and the document was on MY N7.

I've been using CoPilot -- a stand-alone car GPS app -- when driving. It's fantastic, and the N7 is just the right size to set on the pull-out ash-tray cup-holder in my truck.

I've got live traffic and weather in my plane, for free, yoke mounted on the N7. Try THAT with an iPad.

I've plugged it into my laptop, and used it like a thumb-drive. Try THAT trick with an iPad!

It fits in my pocket. It shows 1080p movies. I can add/delete files without using iTunes.

It's rugged (see the on-line drop test comparison with the iPad) and, best of all, it's $200 bucks. If I lose it or break it, it'll hurt, but I don't have to treat it like the crown jewels all the time.

It is everything for me that the iPad could have -- no, SHOULD have -- been, were it not 3" too wide, and saddled with an Apple OS.

Jay, could you list your most used apps for those of us new to the Android tablet world?

I develop software for the iOS platform. People buy it on the App store, Apple takes their cut, I get the rest.

Could you not sell apps for an Android device, without a 3rd party taking your money?

Could you not sell apps for an Android device

You could stop right there... the answer is no.

The sales of Android apps is far worse then iOS.

Plus, Apple does a far better job of embracing developers. They have a Dev conference where they pretty much empty out the home office for a week, and hold workshops to show people how to get the most out of it.

When the head of Android User experience talked about why tablet apps are not making there way on the Android tablets, he pretty much said it's the devs faults.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126644/matias-duarte-on-android-4-1-jelly-bean-and-the-nexus-7

If you want to see what a douchebag looks like getting interviewed, that is a good one to watch.

If you want to see what a douchebag looks like getting interviewed, that is a good one to watch.

OK, it's one thing to not like a particular platform or the policies of the company behind it.

It's an entirely different - and unacceptable - thing to launch a personal attack on a person that is describing those policies.

In so describing the person you detract from the message that you're trying to deliver, and you reinforce the elitist attitude of the product users that some of us detest.

And yes, I have both an iOS and an Android product. Each excells at certain things, and each sucks at certain things.

So would you agree that if someone wanted to connect to the internet with it, and not own any other hardware, that they are 100% correct calling the Nexus 7 half assed, because it doesn't fit there needs?

I am glad the Nexus 7 is everything you want in a Tablet. It would not fit my needs as well as an iPad does. That does not make it a bad product.

Funny how you don't see that your needs are not everyones, and a device that meets others needs is still a good device, just not good for you.

Obviously we are never going to change your mind. In your head, you are 100% right, and nothing I or anyone else is going to say is going to change that. So these conversations have grown rather pointless.

So I am going to bow out. Enjoy your Nexus. Glad you like it.

High wing v. low wing, Ford v. Chevy...

OK, you love what you bought, I get it. Ebay your iPad and take satisfaction in the money you get from foisting this inferior product onto some lowly dolt.

OK, it's one thing to not like a particular platform or the policies of the company behind it.

It's an entirely different - and unacceptable - thing to launch a personal attack on a person that is describing those policies.

In so describing the person you detract from the message that you're trying to deliver, and you reinforce the elitist attitude of the product users that some of us detest.

And yes, I have both an iOS and an Android product. Each excells at certain things, and each sucks at certain things.

Have you watched the interview?

I love Android, I love Google. I have toured both there NYC and CA offices. I am friends with one of there heads of marketing. Also if you want to see a very large collection of iPhones and Macs, walk through Googles software developers area. Google employees very much love Apples products, and Apple employees very much love Google. This idea that they are somehow at war against each other, is just something fanboys do. Not the companies themselves.

The man being interviewed, is about as elitest as I have ever seen, and is the attitude you say you detest. He is not representative of the average Google employee.

And as a developer, he can kiss my ass telling me I am the reason his product doesn't have more apps for it.

Sorry if that bothers you.

Sure. Of course, I have iOS 6, so I can do that (all of you will be able to do it shortly).

OTOH, I have no need to even if others may. :D

What else is in iOS 6? My only real complaint about the iPad is the need for an AirPrint printer to print some items in a simple manner. If there's a good place to find out about iOS 6, let me know so I can escape this thread before it is locked. :wink2:

I also don't understand the repeated comments about needing to use iTunes to add or delete something. All I basically use iTunes for is a backup on my desktop. Adding or deleting on my iPad 1 is a couple of clicks.

Cheers

Last edited:
Pages is a $10 App but thats cheap to me compared to a full MS Office Suite.

And you buy it once for all your devices under the same AppleID/iTunes ID.

There is another really PITA problem and that is printing. I have a fine HP Wireless All in One but the iPad is tuned to AirPrint Printers. I do have an app from HP ePrint that works on occasion for email, photos and web sites but it is hit or miss at best as is usual for HP. Several other workarounds are available but why the iPad just couldn't find a wireless printer and simply print is beyond me. I have no desire to get an AirPrint Printer just to satisfy their whim.

Printopia fixed that permanently for me. There's supposedly similar applications for Winderz.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where some idiot suggested that everyone use the Apple music program to add/delete files. Sheer lunacy, and it's gratifying to see that they got away from that model in the later, ready-for-primetime models of the iPad.

There's been various file movement Apps since iPad 1. Alan (who we haven't seen in a while here) gave a very nice review of five of them.

Interesting. When I tried to download it, I was met with an error message stating that it needed iOS version blah blah blah in order to run. And then, when I tried to update the OS, I was met with another error message stating that it wouldn't run on my iPad.

Garmin chose to utilize features only available in later iOS versions. Not Apple's fault.

I agree, the Garmin Pilot software is a surprisingly amateurish effort for a company of Garmin's stature. I'm hopeful that they get it right, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I suspect they underfund it and want it to be amateurish.

"Millions of people bought Nexus 7's..." hehehe...

I don't actually agree with the Americans statement, honestly. I believe there's a bell curve, just as statistics class taught me. And I suspect most of the folks with the financial wherewithal to purchase ANY of these toys are probably middle to right side of it. The left side is just trying to feed the babies.

Bump App, available for iOS for a long time now. Idea stolen directly from there.

So I am going to bow out. Enjoy your Nexus. Glad you like it.

Same here.

Have you watched the interview?

I love Android, I love Google. I have toured both there NYC and CA offices. I am friends with one of there heads of marketing. Also if you want to see a very large collection of iPhones and Macs, walk through Googles software developers area. Google employees very much love Apples products, and Apple employees very much love Google. This idea that they are somehow at war against each other, is just something fanboys do. Not the companies themselves.

The man being interviewed, is about as elitest as I have ever seen, and is the attitude you say you detest. He is not representative of the average Google employee.

And as a developer, he can kiss my ass telling me I am the reason his product doesn't have more apps for it.

Sorry if that bothers you.

IMHO, you stepped over the line once you called him a name and launched it as a personal attack. What I have just quoted in this post doesn't launch a personal attack (assuming that your third paragraph represents a statement of opinion and not a statement of fact), and (with the exception of the "A" word) is MHO within the bounds of acceptability.

As a mod, I'll stop there as I've fully described my opinion on the matter.

OTOH, I have no need to even if others may. :D

What else is in iOS 6? My only real complaint about the iPad is the need for an AirPrint printer to print some items in a simple manner. If there's a good place to find out about iOS 6, let me know so I can escape this thread before it is locked. :wink2:

I also don't understand the repeated comments about needing to use iTunes to add or delete something. All I basically use iTunes for is a backup on my desktop. Adding or deleting on the iPad is a couple of clicks.

Cheers

I can't really talk about it, as I am under a Non Disclosure Agreement, However some of the features are online.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

here is a neet video to show how this "half backed" product has helped people change there lives.

http://www.apple.com/ios/videos/#developers

I can't really talk about it, as I am under a Non Disclosure Agreement, However some of the features are online.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

here is a neet video to show how this "half backed" product has helped people change there lives.

http://www.apple.com/ios/videos/#developers

Thanks and as Porky Pig once said, "Ththththat's all folks" for me. :wink2:

Might have to replace my iPad 1 but I doubt it. Rest of my iDevice stable will work including the "mini iPad" if it works for me when/if released.

Cheers

Last edited:
IMHO, you stepped over the line once you called him a name and launched it as a personal attack. What I have just quoted in this post doesn't launch a personal attack (assuming that your third paragraph represents a statement of opinion and not a statement of fact), and (with the exception of the "A" word) is MHO within the bounds of acceptability.

As a mod, I'll stop there as I've fully described my opinion on the matter.

I am not being a jerk here, I am just asking so I know the rules.

The "Attack" I launched, was at the person in the interview, who is not a member of these boards. I have not called anyone here a name, or come close to launching a personal attack at any member.

Not to make any connections between the man in that video and Hitler, but are you saying if I posted a video of Hitler, and then made derogatory comments about him, I am crossing a line? (not that I would post a video of hitler)

Again, I am just asking, so I know what the rules here are.

Could you not sell apps for an Android device, without a 3rd party taking your money?

Selling on the Android store results in them taking a 30% cut as well.

Thing is, I don't mind Apple taking a 30% cut, I make no attempts to market and it did will from the start. Apple brought the customers to me via their stores and because of that they deserve some revenue.

What's so hard about that? All kinds of people doing that now. :dunno:

Yoke mounting an iPad is like wall mounting a 106 inch HDTV in a dorm room. It might be possible, but I've not been able to pull it off. The N7 fits perfectly.

iPad yoke mount works just fine in my 182.

Therefore the 182 is perfect and no other aircraft rates. Applying your black and white logic used throughout this thread, this means that you must sell Atlas now.

:)

iPad yoke mount works just fine in my 182.

Therefore the 182 is perfect and no other aircraft rates. Applying your black and white logic used throughout this thread, this means that you must sell Atlas now.

:)

I'd like to see a picture of that rig. No way does the iPad fit between the uprights of the yoke, which means you're blocking some valuable real estate with your big screen. Aren't you actually reaching around the iPad to grasp the yoke?

I am not being a jerk here, I am just asking so I know the rules.

The "Attack" I launched, was at the person in the interview, who is not a member of these boards. I have not called anyone here a name, or come close to launching a personal attack at any member.

Not to make any connections between the man in that video and Hitler, but are you saying if I posted a video of Hitler, and then made derogatory comments about him, I am crossing a line? (not that I would post a video of hitler)

Again, I am just asking, so I know what the rules here are.

The rules are in our Rules of Conduct: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_faq_rules_of_conduct

Which includes this:
Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.

That rule has been around since the first day the board went live (and predates my time as a mod/member of the MC).

Jay, Great thread and good information. Disclaimer is that while I use and am generally comfortable with tech stuff I am by no means teribly tech knowlegeable. Thats said I do not own and iPad nor a tablet of anykind. I do think its kind of like the highwing / low wing debate, both have advantages and both drawbacks.

I am amazed at what an iPad can do but I'm also pretty impressed with my DroidX phone. My experience with the iPad in the cockpit is that it is a bit large for me to comfortably handle but that does not mean its not an awesome piece of equipment. I'll likely be getting an iPad but I think a Nexus might be more comfortable for me in the planes that I fly. Then I'd have to use WingX instead of foreflight but thats bad at all IMHO. Of course I could end up with the iPad in the plane, especially if they make a smaller one this year.

Apps schmaps! My DroidX has more apps than I could ever want or use. There are probably 3 apps that I can't get on my droid that I'd like and first is Jesse's W&B Pro and the others are cloud ahoy and FlyQ which I hear will be developed for Droid.

I only really have two big issues with the iPad, one is readability in the sun, perhaps there is a film or app for that LOL and the other is my fat clumsy fingers everytime I grab one I invariably hit the botton which makes the screen go away, thats me not the pad.

From my perspective competition is good so I hope they both succeed wildly

Last edited:

What doesn't make any sense to me, as a user, is this: I've owned both the iPad (now sold and shipped) and Android products. I have not noticed any shortage of apps for either one.

As a user, looking in from the outside, this "shortage of apps" seems to be an illusion. I could spend every day, all day, just exploring possible apps for the Nexus 7. How much is "enough"?

From my perspective competition is good so I hope they both succeed wildly

Exactly!

One thing I am cognizant of is that the Nexus 7 wouldn't exist if the iPad hadn't blazed the trail. If both succeed, we, as consumers, all win.

That's different, however, from giving them a fair shakedown cruise -- which is what I've attempted to do. I'm not vested in either OS, and find it funny how emotionally attached some people get to Apple products. Why, it's almost like talking to RVers.

Whoops. Wrong thread. :lol:

What doesn't make any sense to me, as a user, is this: I've owned both the iPad (now sold and shipped) and Android products. I have not noticed any shortage of apps for either one.

As a user, looking in from the outside, this "shortage of apps" seems to be an illusion. I could spend every day, all day, just exploring possible apps for the Nexus 7. How much is "enough"?

I never said it had too few apps. He did. And then said the reason, is I have my head in the sand.

Also, what he is talking about, is tablet native apps. If you don't make an app for a tablet, in the end you just have a very large phone app.

THe number of native apps on iOS is quite large, while on Android is fairly small. The number is growing though.

Here is a few of them side by side. As you can see, for some of them the Android version is made for a tablet, and they are nice to use. However as you can see with the others, they are just blown up phone apps.

http://www.zdnet.com/app-comparison-ipad-vs-nexus-7-no-clear-winner_p16-7000001354/

Exactly!

One thing I am cognizant of is that the Nexus 7 wouldn't exist if the iPad hadn't blazed the trail. If both succeed, we, as consumers, all win.

That's different, however, from giving them a fair shakedown cruise -- which is what I've attempted to do. I'm not vested in either OS, and find it funny how emotionally attached some people get to Apple products. Why, it's almost like talking to RVers.

Whoops. Wrong thread. :lol:

I think you might just be trolling.

Ford vs Chevy: Your not going to get a rise out of anyone if you say "Both are good, but I prefer Ford".

However if you say "I find Ford to fit my needs better, thus the Chevy is a total pile of crap.", you might get a few friendly posts, from people who only wish to correct your extremely flawed logic. ;)

There are probably 3 apps that I can't get on my droid that I'd like and first is Jesse's W&B Pro...

Adam, I haven't tried Jesse's W&B app (since I don't have an IPad), but I evaluated all I could find for my Android and really like Avilution's W&B. Once configured for your plane, it's very quick and easy to use.

screenshot2012080915334.jpg

screenshot2012080915340.jpg

screenshot2012080915334.png

Yoke mounting an iPad is like wall mounting a 106 inch HDTV in a dorm room. It might be possible, but I've not been able to pull it off. The N7 fits perfectly.

I've mounted the iPad in three airplanes (all in portrait mode, landscape it really would be too big but IMO ForeFlight is best in portrait anyway):

1) In the 182, yoke mounted, it works great. It points right at me, no sunlight issues because it's not reflecting anything from outside, and it doesn't block any instruments while in flight. (On the ground the yoke tends to be full forward, and in that position the iPad will block some of the lower stuff - But who cares? It's in flight that matters.)

2) In the DA40, mounted via suction cup to the canopy on the left just above the vent window and situated so that it's just to the left of the G1000 PFD, again, it's pointing right at me to avoid reflection issues and it doesn't block anything except the left-hand panel vent.

3) In the Mooney - This is the worst of the three, as the Mooney's huge amount of legroom means the panel and the yoke end up much closer to me than in most planes. Right now, it's mounted such that it doesn't block anything, but it kinda points at my chest which makes it harder to read. However, I can lift it up to look at things when I need to.

I have a fair amount of flexibility in mounting because of the parts I got from RAM for the mount: I have the iPad cradle and both a yoke mount and a single suction cup mount, but in between I use the short arm, a double-ball connector, and the medium arm to allow for maximum flexibility.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can lower the iPad more and tilt it up farther in the Mooney.

Back