iPad vs. Nexus 7

All my iOS devices are jailbroken, highly reliable and give me zero headaches. As far as I am concerned if I am going to customize Android, or customize iOS, I would much rather have the the backing of a huge iOS community. I understand how people can be hesitant to jailbreak their iDevice but if you are going to root or JB regardless, then I like iOS.

BTW: Ultimate Rotation Control works perfectly, and resolves my only gripe with the N7. Thanks again for the link.

All my iOS devices are jailbroken, highly reliable and give me zero headaches.

I am an iOS (and Android) developer, so I don't jailbreak.

When you setup your iOS device as a dev device, you end up sending profile information about your device back to Apple.

I most likely would be fine, but the last think I want is my Dev license taken away from me. If not for that however, I would jailbreak my stuff.

I disagree. There are millions of gen 1 and 2 iPads out there. In fact, the best way to buy any Apple device is to use their refurb store, where gen 1 and gen 2 iPads are still available for prices within sight of the Nexus 7.

Thanks to the OP for this useful comparison test!

Inhave a Gen. 1 I pad... I DON'T NEED THE NEW ones!!! I hate I have to spend another $700 to $800 r more just to keep up when the Gen 1 works FIND!!!! I can use the money to fund my flying... I LIKE THE ADVENTURE PILOT... thinking about buying one..

Garmin hasn't 'cleaned up' their maritime software in 8 years (still a kludge of a program compared to the competition), I wouldn't hold my breath for them to make the aviation software the cat's meow either.

Inhave a Gen. 1 I pad... I DON'T NEED THE NEW ones!!! I hate I have to spend another $700 to $800 r more just to keep up when the Gen 1 works FIND!!!! I can use the money to fund my flying... I LIKE THE ADVENTURE PILOT... thinking about buying one..

The Generation 1 iPad (I prefer to refer to it as the "Beta Model", as it was clearly not ready for prime time) will not run the new Garmin Pilot program, for reasons that only a developer can explain.

Since that's what I needed to interface with the Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver, the iPad had to go, and go it did. Shipped it to its new owner this morning. :D

I used my Nexus 7 with Avilution on the way back from Osh, and it worked wonderfully. I was interested in the GDL39, but decided to hold off on buying one.

For those who need extra storage space, there are a few options. You can get a USB OTG cable and plug in a USB thumb drive. For me, I just keep all of my music on my phone and use the N7 for maps, browsing, e-mail, etc.

Ultimately however, the device isn't meant to store every piece of digital content you own. Most people would be hard pressed to fit all of their digital content on a 64gb ipad anyway.

I think Jay's review is quite valid. A refurb ipad 1 and the N7 might be several generations apart, but they are significantly closer in cost than the ipad 2 or "new ipad".

The one thing that does frustrate me, and there are several examples of it in this thread, is the people who instantly go on the offensive when it comes to Android devices. Yes, I know you people have spent a fortune on your apple products and associated apps. You are invested, and don't want to think you made the wrong choice. But choice and competition are a good thing. Just because you like closed operating systems doesn't mean you have to be closed minded.

Personally my bet is that come this winter, both Android and iOS devices will become 'the wrong choice' when Surface and the other Win8 tablets come to market. My prediction is that without Steve Jobs there to come up with the next great idea that that will spell the end for Apple. They almost went out of business last time Steve wasn't there, this time there's no way to call him back unless they managed to send his mind to the Cloud as well.

Actually Steve and Elvis are alive and working secretly to develop a time travel machine that allows you to go back and correct your mistakes like the Newton and Blue Hawaii.:D

BTW, typed on my iPod Touch which is my second line of defense against mysterious iPad anomalies that have yet to occur but might. :lol:

Cheers

The Generation 1 iPad (I prefer to refer to it as the "Beta Model", as it was clearly not ready for prime time) will not run the new Garmin Pilot program, for reasons that only a developer can explain.

Since that's what I needed to interface with the Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver, the iPad had to go, and go it did. Shipped it to its new owner this morning. :D

You're wrong. The iPad 1 was a groundbreaking device and received extraordinarily well by the market as evidenced by sales numbers and developer support. There was nothing else like it on the market at that time. If it wasn't for the iOS devices, Android wouldn't exist, or at least not in its current form.

Garmin Pilot runs just fine on an iPad 1; I know because I have one and did extensive testing of the Pilot application on it. The biggest liability of that particular combination is the Pilot app itself, which is still RIDDLED with bugs in just about every area of the program, and I was quite disappointed that the last two updates didn't fix nearly any of the small but obvious bugs (which I reported months ago, by the way.) Even WingX does better than Pilot for features and reliability. While Garmin clearly has the capability to make Pilot into a premier app, I'm not convinced that they have the desire to do so. So far, ForeFlight and Hilton have done a much better job at fixing bugs during release cycles, and they are both significantly smaller companies with significantly fewer resources and experience developing aviation products.

I suspect that the greatest hardware liability of the iPad 1 is the relatively small amount of RAM. A reported 256MB of RAM isn't much in which to squeeze advanced application capabilities. I'll allow that the Pilot app on the iPad 1 may not support the GDL39 for ADS-B weather, but I don't have a GDL39 to test, and won't buy one until Garmin shows some serious committment to cleaning up Pilot.

JKG

Personally my bet is that come this winter, both Android and iOS devices will become 'the wrong choice' when Surface and the other Win8 tablets come to market. My prediction is that without Steve Jobs there to come up with the next great idea that that will spell the end for Apple. They almost went out of business last time Steve wasn't there, this time there's no way to call him back unless they managed to send his mind to the Cloud as well.
When it comes to hardware, historically, microsoft has made nice keyboards and video game consoles and that's about where it ends. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I have no idea how the Surface and Windows8 tablets will play out, but it's quite premature and more than a bit foolish to be predicting the death of the market leading platform based upon unreleased products from a company with a history of underdelivering.

While Steve Jobs was obviously a very strong leader, he was far from the only one responsible for Apple's success. Apple has always had plenty of visionaries and innovators inside the company, but hasn't always had strong leadership willing to take risks. The jury is still out on whether Steve Jobs' replacement, Tim Cook, will be the same driving force for innovation and risk taking, or a more traditional MBA-type who will run the company into the ground. But, it's technology, so two years from now, there will be something new regardless of who makes it. However, what we have today is certainly better because of Apple and the standards that they've set.

Oddly missing from the Surface introduction were details. No price, no battery life, sketchy details on capabilities. I have no idea how a desktop operating system is going to work on a mobile hardware platform absent a keyboard and mouse/trackpad, which is probably why the Surface appears to have those devices built in. Microsoft's current and previous attempts at touch control of a desktop operating system have been rather ineffective, to say the least. So far, I don't really see anything new or unique about the surface other than being significantly smaller than previous TabletPCs.

JKG

When it comes to hardware, historically, microsoft has made nice keyboards and video game consoles and that's about where it ends. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Don't forget mice!

John

Yeah, I hold the same reservations for the hardware, but the thing is, Microsoft won't be the only platform running Win8 and I'm betting that Samsung is going to come out with a heck of a nice machine to run Win8.

One thing about tech, it's always interesting. And virtually as soon as something is released, it's obsolete.

One thing about tech, it's always interesting. And virtually as soon as something is released, it's obsolete.

It is obsolete as you want it to be. I still use a paper map on occasion. :wink2: I even know people who do not have a smart phone and don't get lost. :D

I am still amazed at people who cannot survive without a GPS in their car. :rolleyes:

Cheers

It is obsolete as you want it to be. I still use a paper map on occasion. :wink2: I even know people who do not have a smart phone and don't get lost. :D

I am still amazed at people who cannot survive without a GPS in their car. :rolleyes:

Cheers

With the price of gas, GPS in the car when not in known territory is a good thing...:yesnod:

Reading some of the stories at earthrounders.com recently, it was interesting to note that the Jepp paper charts have (had?) more data on them (frequencies) than their iPad equivalents (non-equivalents).

I think it would be amazing to circumnavigate the globe in a single. Certainly some significant risks, but very rewarding. Still less than 200 people with the FAI circumnavigation certificate.

Interesting. I downloaded all the sectionals between Texas and Oshkosh, and only used a few gigabytes on the Nexus. I won't be using them again until next year, so if I will probably delete them -- a simple task on the Nexus, versus a nightmare on the iPad.

Nightmare? Opening ForeFlight, tapping "Downloads" and then "Delete" qualifies as a "nightmare?" :dunno:

How so? I've still got mine, never had a problem with it. :dunno:

When people get it in there mind they don't like something, it usually means to them that the product itself sucks.

I remember 100 years ago when I was evaluating word processors for our company, back when you had wordstar, wordperfect, and textra.

After talking with 50 people or so about what was the "best", they all had strong opinions, and they were all different.

It came down to the one they knew the best was awesome, and all the others sucks.

Jay's opinion if the iPad has a lot more to do with Jay, then it does the iPad. That, or Jay is right, and millions of others are wrong.

When people get it in there mind they don't like something, it usually means to them that the product itself sucks.

I remember 100 years ago when I was evaluating word processors for our company, back when you had wordstar, wordperfect, and textra.

After talking with 50 people or so about what was the "best", they all had strong opinions, and they were all different.

It came down to the one they knew the best was awesome, and all the others sucks.

Jay's opinion if the iPad has a lot more to do with Jay, then it does the iPad. That, or Jay is right, and millions of others are wrong.

Jay is not the only one of the opinion that the iPad is far from a superlative piece of gear, I have the iPad2 and think it's a half assed piece of gear as well.

Jay is not the only one of the opinion that the iPad is far from a superlative piece of gear, I have the iPad2 and think it's a half assed piece of gear as well.

Yep there are thousands and thousands of you, and still your 5%-10%.

There is so much collected data to the quality of the device, and positive change that it's existence has made, that thinking anything other then it's a success, is to ignore the evidence.

I would suspect, you think the application in which you are attempting to use it, provides a half assed solution.

That's not the same thing.

My iPad does what it does with no problems. If a piece of computing gear meets that standard, that's all I care. I suppose an Abacus is ok for some. Rather than wait for the next great thing or a piece of vaporware, I get something availble now if it meets my needs.

I do have Nook for reading in bed since I am afraid of being beaned by the iPad if I fall asleep and my beak can't take another break.

If it played Flash, I would scrap the rest of my laptops, netbooks, desktop and simplify my life. The fact that is useful in the cockpit is a bonus and good enough for me. If it isn't for others I will cheerfully accept all donations of used ones. :yesnod:

Cheers

Last edited:
Yep there are thousands and thousands of you, and still your 5%-10%.

There is so much collected data to the quality of the device, and positive change that it's existence has made, that thinking anything other then it's a success, is to ignore the evidence.

I would suspect, you think the application in which you are attempting to use it, provides a half assed solution.

That's not the same thing.

If a 'consumption device' cannot consume a prevalent format like Flash videos that are everywhere including posts on this board, that's half assed to me. When I can't attach something to a reply to an email, that's half assed to me. Are you saying that I'm not really supposed to be able to do these things and that I am so unique in my desire to do so that it doesn't matter? Do that many people really not need these functions?

If a 'consumption device' cannot consume a prevalent format like Flash videos that are everywhere including posts on this board, that's half assed to me. When I can't attach something to a reply to an email, that's half assed to me. Are you saying that I'm not really supposed to be able to do these things and that I am so unique in my desire to do so that it doesn't matter? Do that many people really not need these functions?

No flash is an irritant I agree but I routinely attach stuff like photos to emails. No big excel files but I never really learned to use it anyway. :lol:

If "that many" means tens of millions of people, I guess they don't. :D

Cheers

Last edited:

I can do without flash movies, but if you must have it:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iswifter-flash-web-browser/id388857173?mt=8

As for the email, it would be nice, but I have never really found a time when I could not communicate with the people I needed to on it. Worse case, was I just sent a new email to those who I wanted to send an attachment to.

I can rattle off 100 things I can do on OSX that are either hard, poorly implemented, or not possible on Windows 7. That does not make Windows 7 half assed.

When your laptop runs out of power, while your iPad is sitting at 70%, do you call your laptop half asses?

When you need another bag to bring your laptop, when the iPad just slides into your case, do you call it half assed?

When you need an external piece of 3G hardware for your laptop, do you call it half assed?

If you have no wifi and you want to send any email at all on a Nexus 7 does that make it half assed?

Of course not. It just doesn't do everything.

Nothing does.

BTW, to show how simple my needs are, I have never been to Facebook. I think that makes me one of three people in the known universe with that badge of shame.

I do get enough entertainment here and on the Red Board. :wink2:

Cheers

I can do without flash movies, but if you must have it:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iswifter-flash-web-browser/id388857173?mt=8

As for the email, it would be nice, but I have never really found a time when I could not communicate with the people I needed to on it. Worse case, was I just sent a new email to those who I wanted to send an attachment to.

I can rattle off 100 things I can do on OSX that are either hard, poorly implemented, or not possible on Windows 7. That does not make Windows 7 half assed.

When your laptop runs out of power, while your iPad is sitting at 70%, do you call your laptop half asses?

When you need another bag to bring your laptop, when the iPad just slides into your case, do you call it half assed?

When you need an external piece of 3G hardware for your laptop, do you call it half assed?

If you have no wifi and you want to send any email at all on a Nexus 7 does that make it half assed?

Of course not. It just doesn't do everything.

Nothing does.

Most all technology I see being pretty half assed, but much of that is due to technology still in development which I can easily accept. Not being able to attach or even manage a file to me is just plain lame.

Most all technology I see being pretty half assed, but much of that is due to technology still in development which I can easily accept. Not being able to attach or even manage a file to me is just plain lame.

To me the lame part, is Apple not letting anyone else make a real email client.

I think there policies about what apps get approved, is a load of BS.

I don't expect there mail client to do everything, but if you're not going to be full featured, let someone else make one.

You can create an email string with an attachment but not reply.

I thought the problem was not being able to email an attachment.:dunno:

"Not being able to attach or even manage a file to me is just plain lame."

If you need to reply with the same attachment I have no clue. Personally, I seldom if ever send the attachment back to the same person. If I make changes to the attachment or open it just to read it, I just send that one to whoever I need to.

Cheers

I thought the problem was not being able to email an attachment.:dunno:

"Not being able to attach or even manage a file to me is just plain lame."

If you need to reply with the same attachment I have no clue. Personally, I seldom if ever send the attachment back to the same person. If I make changes to the attachment or open it just to read it, I just send that one to whoever I need to.

Cheers

If they send the attachment it's ok, when they ask for a file is where it creates the Charlie foxtrot.

I have both, iPad and the Nexus 7. Right now, I prefer the iPad mainly for compatibility with Foreflight. I anticipate the mini iPad to be a game changer. I actually prefer the size of the Nexus 7, both in the cockpit and around the house. I am invested in iOS apps, so I'm not ready to ditch the iPad.

Ok, all iPad lovers, please email me an MP3 and a Word document in a same email.

Thats because you probably bought it with preconceived notions that it will do something it wasn't designed to do.

I can say a Cherokee 140 does crappy snap rolls, doesn't mean its a crappy airplane.

Back