iPad vs. Nexus 7

I only wish my reactions wre fast enough that 1.0-1.5 seconds meant anything to me any more. :goofy:

I heard the rumor about the Oct release of the mini iPad but not from Apple. They have never publicly Pre-released any info about anything that I recall.

Cheers

That's got to be one of the dumbest tests I've seen yet. None of those things matter.

Actually, one thing very much mattered to me in that video. The browser whiting out while scrolling. That would annoy the hell out of me.

As for turning off the prefetch, I would say 90% of my browsing is clicking on a link or a bookmark.

He should have done typical use, where he bookmarked the pages he wanted to go to, cleared the cache, and then clicked on the bookmarks at the same time.

That would have been considered "fair" to everyone, and would have provided the same results.

Oh and FYI: That feature is also on Chrome for iOS.

Last edited:
I refer you back to your comment of " the nexus is SO much faster than everything else."

I'm up for disscussion on the "other measurable ways."

In other good news, apple is confirmed that it is releasing the IPad mini in Oct.

Ron, I gave up a few pages back.

Jay will spout out something completely false, and if you prove him wrong, he just ignores you. I did it when he called the Nexus 7 the fastest selling Tablet of all time.

When I showed him the data, and explained why it was inaccurate, he chose not to comment on my post (but continued to comment in the thread), only to repost the same false statement in another thread.

Just let him live in his world, and let him be happy thinking he found something that greatly destroys the iPad in every way. If it makes him happy, then great. I only commet for those who are looking to purchase, so they have a more unbiased opinion.

I have yet to say anything negative about the Nexus 7. It's an awesome device. I just try and make sure peoples excitement for it, don't disconnect them from reality :)

The Win8 tablets will knock out the iPad and Android tablets. I'll just keep my current combo of Sony Vaio and iPad until the second generation of those come out and I may actually get something that's getting close to what I want/need in a single unit. While I like Android on my phone, having been playing with my friends droid tablet, I'm not quite as pleased there.

In none of those did *Apple* confirm anything. In fact, they all cite AllThingsD, which is historically the least reliable source when it comes to Apple rumors - They're basically a bunch of click-baiters, they'll say anything that gets people whipped into a fanboy frenzy, and the majority of the time, they're wrong.

This is another "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of thing - While I do expect Apple to jump into the 7" tablet game, it's far from "confirmed". Hell, the good ol' TV rumor is still going, and that was supposed to be out before the holiday season LAST year.

In none of those did *Apple* confirm anything. In fact, they all cite AllThingsD, which is historically the least reliable source when it comes to Apple rumors - They're basically a bunch of click-baiters, they'll say anything that gets people whipped into a fanboy frenzy, and the majority of the time, they're wrong.

This is another "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of thing - While I do expect Apple to jump into the 7" tablet game, it's far from "confirmed". Hell, the good ol' TV rumor is still going, and that was supposed to be out before the holiday season LAST year.

From those links:

"ABC News’ own sources have corroborated the widely cited report of Apple’s plans to hold two events."

"This weekend, the Wall Street Journal, Apple's traditional venue for official leaks, reported the "iPad Mini" would be unveiled in October."

Sigh, these are not all rumor sites. The Wall Street Journal? More than rumor.
I've followed Apple for years. I've seen the rumor mills going and the bloggers making wild claims. I've also seen what is happening now. Reputable sources have been leaked information deliberately by apple.
Nothing is a sure things but I'd bet money on the Ipad mini coming in October.

I refer you back to your comment of " the nexus is SO much faster than everything else."

I'm up for disscussion on the "other measurable ways."

In other good news, apple is confirmed that it is releasing the IPad mini in Oct.

Better late than never, I guess. I'm sure there will be plenty of Core devotees who will camp outside Best Buy all night for one. :rolleyes:

Too bad it will still be saddled with iOS .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was intrigued by the YouTube video that showed the iPad, with an inferior processor, to actually be marginally faster in some parameters than the clearly superior Nexus 7 processor.

So, I went to the interwebs to find out why. Here's the best explanation I found:

Google and ASUS worked with NVIDIA to create a higher-powered version of the company’s Tegra 3 processor. Clocking in at 1.3GHz, the quad-core CPU is a similar ARM-based A9 (note on nomenclature: the A5 from Apple is it’s own name; it’s based on ARM’s A9 architecture) is both faster and more powerful because of the higher clock speed and two additional cores. But the GPU is interesting: it’s a 12-core GPU clocking in at 416MHz per core, which is unheard of in the mobile space. With a total of 16 cores, one would think that it’s safe to assume that the Nexus 7 has won this battle.

But that isn’t a safe assumption to make. Apple’s GPU is the same one, with some slight variations, to what Sony is using for the Playstation Vita, and it’s an extremely powerful processor. The first benchmarks from the Nexus 7 don’t beat the iPad, not by a longshot. But as NVIDIA would say, and the company would be accurate for saying so, those benchmarks are geared towards typical processing standards. NVIDIA is offering a more powerful chip that follows different programming standards that, if taken advantage of, will provide a better end-user experience than the iPad.

NVIDIA is providing a different sort of architecture that may be more powerful, but just like it took Sony game developers years to adjust to the Playstation 3′s 8-core Cell processor, it’s going to take developers time to adjust to the Tegra 3′s 12 cores.

So which is the best? For CPUs, the Nexus 7 is the winner. But for the GPU…very difficult to say. Apple provides a very high-power quad-core chip that plays some stunning content, and we’ve yet to see the power of the Tegra 3 on the Nexus 7.

Winner: Nexus 7, with a better CPU and a 12-core GPU which has more potential, if developers ever make use of it.

"better late then never"?
LOL, you should be a politician. I believe the IPad is what started all this.
Some people are unable to debate a position opposed to their own for whatever reasons. Untruths and fabrications just degrade your credibility.

I'll not respond any further to your posts. Enjoy your 10% of the market share.

Better late than never, I guess. I'm sure there will be plenty of Core devotees who will camp outside Best Buy all night for one. :rolleyes:

Too bad it will still be saddled with iOS .

"better late then never"?
LOL, you should be a politician. I believe the IPad is what started all this.
Some people are unable to debate a position opposed to their own for whatever reasons. Untruths and fabrications just degrade your credibility.

Yep, the Core has been right on top of that 7" tablet market...:rolleyes:

As Asus factories continue to churn out millions of these little boogers, at a very reasonable $240 price (they just rolled out in Europe this week), I think you will see the same thing happen to the tablet market as has happened in the smartphone market. Watch as the Core becomes a secondary or even tertiary player in the tablet world.

So long as they continue to rip people off by charging $600 for $300 tablets, smart people will keep flocking to the more capable, less expensive Android tablets. It's as predictable as the tide.

Used the Nexus 7 today. The seven-inch screen is a perfect size for the smaller cockpits. I was flying an Ercoupe. Sunlight was bright, but the screen even in direct sunlight was still easy enough to see. iPad mini for those who like it will probably serve as well.

But I was flying today with a seven inch screen -- and one that cost only about $225 at Wal-Mart. Oh, the GPS popped up the plane on the sectional almost as soon as I turned it on.

You never know...........

I bought one because of this thread. Showed the Nexus 7 to a business associate during lunch, and he immediately purchased two for his company. Just seems that the 7" screen is a more convienent size, compared to the I-pad. In fact, my wife, who owns an IPad2, wouldn't mind one herself.

I really do like this product!

I bought one because of this thread. Showed the Nexus 7 to a business associate during lunch, and he immediately purchased two for his company. Just seems that the 7" screen is a more convienent size, compared to the I-pad. In fact, my wife, who owns an IPad2, wouldn't mind one herself.

A lot of that may be due to the greater flexibility of the Android OS over iOS.

A lot of that may be due to the greater flexibility of the Android OS over iOS.

What exactly can't iOS do that Android can? Do tell, this will be entertaining. I always love a good discussion of OS internals.

What other apps are you using? I am taking mine out tomorrow on a short XC for the first time using Naviator. Looking forward to it, but not sure if there are other apps that would be useful on this trip as well?

Other apps I use on it:

AOPA FlyQ
AirReport PRO
Logbook Pro (remote log entry for my PC-based logbook)
GPS Test
Quick Notes (scribbling clearances)
WeiWatch (multiple timers)
RadarNow
Aviation Weather fromnNOAA/NWS

LOL, he "immediately" purchased two for his company.

I'll revisit this thread in 6 months.

LOL, he "immediately" purchased two for his company.

I'll revisit this thread in 6 months.

Yes, within the hour......

Is there some hidden humor there? Please fill me in....:confused:

What exactly can't iOS do that Android can? Do tell, this will be entertaining. I always love a good discussion of OS internals.

Be easily navigated by having more menus is my primary reason for ditching the iPhone for Android. Neither of them do what my old Pocket PC Phone Edition on WinCE did, work directly in Word and Excel, but the Android has me cursing it less than the iPhone.

Exactly right.

For example, Naviator lets you rubberband your route on the Nexus 7. Garmin Pilot does not

I'm using rubber banding all the time in Garmin Pilot on my Nexus 7. It's an option on the popup donut menu.

I used my Nexus 7 today with Naviator on a short XC...LOVED IT! It does exactly what I was hoping it would do. I plan on buying a subscription to Naviator. Here is a crummy pic of it in action.

I'm playing with Naviator but hate the chart switching. I got spoiled by seamless charts in ForeFlight over the past year.

I still like ForeFlight best of all, but will live with Garmin Pilot's limitations for now in favor of the Nexus' more cockpit friendly form factor.

Yep, the Core has been right on top of that 7" tablet market...:rolleyes:

As Asus factories continue to churn out millions of these little boogers, at a very reasonable $240 price (they just rolled out in Europe this week), I think you will see the same thing happen to the tablet market as has happened in the smartphone market. Watch as the Core becomes a secondary or even tertiary player in the tablet world.

So long as they continue to rip people off by charging $600 for $300 tablets, smart people will keep flocking to the more capable, less expensive Android tablets. It's as predictable as the tide.

They're a loss leader. Google wants the same thing Apple does... Googlites locked into their walled garden. They're willing to lose big money to buy the low end of the market. Then they'll be squeezed by the content makers, just like everyone else. It won't be a high-margin business, but it'll be the cheap bulk of it. No loss to Apple there at all.

Apple will lower prices and drop some Gross Margin and remain the better built higher-quality brand, which is what they've always done. And still have made piles of money doing it. If Google can sell theirs for $250, Apple will easily be able to leave theirs at $399 and make significantly more margin than Google, selling less units.

Both will profit in their own ways.

All of the videos posted here last night, I just hit play on the iPad inside Tapatalk and they started playing on the living room TV. Then I went back to playing a podcast from the MacBook which was booted up to do some work stuff, and it played through the stereo too. All by hooking a measly $100 device to the TV. Haha. Then I caught up on an episode of Rescue Me on Netflix on the AppleTV directly, while the MacBook did an automated backup to the Time Capsule. Karen's iMac backed itself up too, while acting as the always on print server for AirPrint which lets me hit print in any App on the iPhone or iPad. All the iTunes devices share a library seamlessly with Home Sharing.

People really get focused on single devices and really don't get that the Apple stuff is an ecosystem of stuff that works together.

Big deal, Google has a tablet. They also have a (failure of a) TV device. They even have ChromeOS. None of it plays well together or markets the other very well.

The Apple stuff required nothing but going into Settings and turning on all that stuff. That's what people want from a UI/UX.

I'm using rubber banding all the time in Garmin Pilot on my Nexus 7. It's an option on the popup donut menu.

Yeah, someone else pointed that out a few pages back. I think Garmin added that feature at the last update? Dunno, but it's great! :yesnod:

BTW, for those who care it would seem that Asus has ramped up production and the Nexus 7 is once again available direct from Google: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb

With European distribution kicking off a few days ago, it will be interesting to see if they can keep up with demand. They're really hit the sweet spot in price, size, and performance.

Ron, I gave up a few pages back.

Jay will spout out something completely false, and if you prove him wrong, he just ignores you. I did it when he called the Nexus 7 the fastest selling Tablet of all time.

When I showed him the data, and explained why it was inaccurate, he chose not to comment on my post (but continued to comment in the thread), only to repost the same false statement in another thread.

Just let him live in his world, and let him be happy thinking he found something that greatly destroys the iPad in every way. If it makes him happy, then great. I only commet for those who are looking to purchase, so they have a more unbiased opinion.

I ignored you because you were wrong. None of the software used in the video you linked to has been optimized for the N7's new processor. See post #332 for independent verification.

Bottom line: The processor in the Nexus 7 makes it the fastest tablet on the market. As new software is written to take advantage of this technology, it will smoke every other tablet.

Until the next one, probably next month. :lol:

Big deal, Google has a tablet. They also have a (failure of a) TV device. They even have ChromeOS. None of it plays well together or markets the other very well.

The Apple stuff required nothing but going into Settings and turning on all that stuff. That's what people want from a UI/UX.

It doesn't matter. Apple doesn't have a 7" pad yet. I've known for quite a while, that these pad devices, don't have near the brightness or readability of aviation based portable GPSs or glass EFIS units. I just didn't see the practicality of mounting a standard Ipad on the panel, let alone strapped on a kneeboard. That's due to angle & sunlight. The 7" is the perfect size, as a backup unit..........to my Garmin, & especially for a kneepad. The full size Ipad, just didn't interest me, as there is no way, that it would be substituting for my Garmin GPS, in which I don't even have to think about glare problems......ever.

I ignored you because you were wrong. None of the software used in the video you linked to has been optimized for the N7's new processor. See post #332 for independent verification.

Bottom line: The processor in the Nexus 7 makes it the fastest tablet on the market. As new software is written to take advantage of this technology, it will smoke every other tablet.

Until the next one, probably next month. :lol:

My post was about tablet sales, not app performance. Your telling me I was wrong in saying the Ipad 2 launch sold far more tablets over the time span the N7 has been out, and that your statement of the N7 being the fastest selling tablet if all time is correct?

I just didn't see the practicality of mounting a standard Ipad on the panel, let alone strapped on a kneeboard. That's due to angle & sunlight. The 7" is the perfect size, as a backup unit..........to my Garmin, & especially for a kneepad. The full size Ipad, just didn't interest me, as there is no way, that it would be substituting for my Garmin GPS, in which I don't even have to think about glare problems......ever.

I tried to love my iPad -- I really did. I used it on EVERY flight, for two years.

It was better than paper sectionals, I'll give it that. Beyond that, it just didn't have what I wanted, and was saddled with that horrible beta iOS they stuck on the iPad1. (I understand they've fixed a lot of that nonsense in the later models.) It eventually ended up living in the seat-back pocket, and we'd occasionally take off with its battery nearly dead from disuse.

The N7 has been a home run right out of the box. I use it everywhere -- home, office, pool, beach, hangar, in-plane. I honestly have not been able to find a single thing to ***** about on it, which (for me) is absolutely unheard of. It's THAT good.

I sold the iPad for just $20 less than the N7 cost, which makes this whole experience extra sweet. :D

My post was about tablet sales, not app performance. Your telling me I was wrong in saying the Ipad 2 launch sold far more tablets over the time span the N7 has been out, and that your statement of the N7 being the fastest selling tablet if all time is correct?

Whoops -- wrong guy I ignored! :lol: Sorry about that, I'll try to keep up with you CoreHeads better. :D

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I responded to your post by acknowledging that you were right, but that the jury was still out on the N7's sales, which continue to grow and grow. I'd still say that today.

Beyond that, it just didn't have what I wanted, and was saddled with that horrible beta iOS they stuck on the iPad1. (I understand they've fixed a lot of that nonsense in the later models.)

The iPad 1 runs the same OS as the latest iPad, with minor exclusions.

Unlike Android, when Apple release a new version of iOS, everyone gets it right away.

The good news for you, is you have a Google branded tablet, so you should get all the latest OS updates as soon as they come out. Everyone else is not so lucky.

Whoops -- wrong guy I ignored! :lol: Sorry about that, I'll try to keep up with you CoreHeads better. :D

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I responded to your post by acknowledging that you were right, but that the jury was still out on the N7's sales, which continue to grow and grow. I'd still say that today.

The figures you quoted as the hopeful figure for year end sales, would come come to half of what the iPad's sales already have been from the time the N7 was launched.

So you did come back with numbers, but nothing that remotely substantiated your claim. Plus, you said "has already become".

As for the "CoreHead" comment, if you read through my posts, I have yet to say a single negative thing about Google, or the Nexus 7, and have defended it when others have put it down.

I also defend the iPad when people put it down. I only look like a fanboy to those who are one.

Last edited:
All of the videos posted here last night, I just hit play on the iPad inside Tapatalk and they started playing on the living room TV. Then I went back to playing a podcast from the MacBook which was booted up to do some work stuff, and it played through the stereo too. All by hooking a measly $100 device to the TV. Haha. Then I caught up on an episode of Rescue Me on Netflix on the AppleTV directly, while the MacBook did an automated backup to the Time Capsule. Karen's iMac backed itself up too, while acting as the always on print server for AirPrint which lets me hit print in any App on the iPhone or iPad. All the iTunes devices share a library seamlessly with Home Sharing.

People really get focused on single devices and really don't get that the Apple stuff is an ecosystem of stuff that works together.

If you're into a bunch of toys and need an ecosystem of stuff and have the time and inclination to learn all the secret flicks and jestures great, but to some of us this stuff is just plain simple tools. Not tools we are professionals developing apps and stuff for, just tools we need to do our real world Luddite jobs for people who bought software last in 1995 and are not looking to upgrade soon. We don't want to have to go out and find solutions to cudge together. We want stuff that works out of the box and does what we need. I bought the iPad primarily because playing Angry Birds on a phone was ****ing me off. Buying aviation software pack for it was a waste of money IMO. Netflix made it worth the money, now Zombie Gunship puts it in the black as an entertainment device, using safari for these boards is marginal but I think Tap a Talk sucks so I deal with it and it's ok except for putting in a pic and viewing some videos people post which don't work.

As a work tool for us Luddites though, it fails as does Android. All us guys and gals who are Luddites and have to deal with Luddite companies who are not upgrading their software and require Excel and Word are really hoping that MS will come out with a tablet form solution that we can actually just use without having to become fans and join secret clubs and google up tricks on how to cobble up something that does just the basic crap we need simply which is what neither Apple or Google have given us.

If you're into a bunch of toys and need an ecosystem of stuff and have the time and inclination to learn all the secret flicks and jestures great, but to some of us this stuff is just plain simple tools.

I use one "gesture", a two finger tap for a right-click. I have to look up the rest most of the time. What are you rambling about?

Not tools we are professionals developing apps and stuff for, just tools we need to do our real world Luddite jobs for people who bought software last in 1995 and are not looking to upgrade soon.

You mean bought Office. Yep, Apple's not particularly interested in it. If you gotta do Office crap, you use a desktop/laptop. MS hasn't seen fit to support other OS's! Go figure. You don't grab a socket wrench to turn a screw, either. Duh. It's not the socket wrench's fault you misused it. Ha.

We don't want to have to go out and find solutions to cudge together. We want stuff that works out of the box and does what we need.

Well, Android ain't going to help any in that regard. If you're stuck supporting and using Office docs, Surface is going to be what you want if your boss's/customer's proprietary vendor of choice, ever gets around to releasing it.

Or a MacBook Air running a real copy of Office. ;)

I bought the iPad primarily because playing Angry Birds on a phone was ****ing me off. Buying aviation software pack for it was a waste of money IMO. Netflix made it worth the money, now Zombie Gunship puts it in the black as an entertainment device, using safari for these boards is marginal but I think Tap a Talk sucks so I deal with it and it's ok except for putting in a pic and viewing some videos people post which don't work.

??? Mine does all those things fine. Not sure what you're missing.

As a work tool for us Luddites though, it fails as does Android. All us guys and gals who are Luddites and have to deal with Luddite companies who are not upgrading their software and require Excel and Word are really hoping that MS will come out with a tablet form solution that we can actually just use without having to become fans and join secret clubs and google up tricks on how to cobble up something that does just the basic crap we need simply which is what neither Apple or Google have given us.

The dumber older business world runs on Office. iPad and Android don't play well because MSFT doesn't support them. No big surprise there. You need Surface, which is vaporware at the moment. Hopefully it shows up for you sometime. Ask MSFT when it'll be done.

New businesses run on PDFs mostly. Or Google Docs in some cases. Spreadsheets, pretty much everyone's on MS. I try to avoid spreadsheets as documents. That's overkill.

I don't even attempt Office docs on iPad other than to pop them open and read-only them. Office is chained to desktop machines by its maker, that's their call. I fire up the MacBook Pro and use Microsoft's suite there.

Google does have one leg up here -- they allow anyone to use it. Including Apple folk... Google Docs will edit most MS proprietary document formats, I believe. Haven't messed with it lately.

iPad is definitely the wrong tool for the job if the job was dealing with legacy MS Office formatted stuff. It must suck to have to deal with that. Sorry your bosses chose those proprietary data formats that there isn't a supported tablet for, yet.

It'll be all better for you when Surface hits. I have one MS spreadsheet to deal with and I just grab the laptop for it. Might see if Office 365 will display it to a browser on the iPad sometime. Doubt it, but haven't tried.

I'm not much for wasting my time turning screws with socket wrenches.

I keep a real copy of Winderz in a virtual machine with Outlook and Office for the really Gung Ho Office docs that use unnecessary fancy formatting. Company pays for that silliness. They also get to WAIT until I'm back at a desktop/laptop if they're expecting me to edit one. They seem fine with that. So am I. You'd benefit from mobile convenience for your pay/time sheet I believe, was the spreadsheet you mentioned you'd like a tablet to edit, when and if MSFT ever gets around to deploying a tablet. A net book is probably the most portable option for that stuff right now, I'm guessing.

The iPad 1 runs the same OS as the latest iPad, with minor exclusions.

Interesting. I thought the later iPad OS was untethered from iTunes? That software alone drove me to distraction.

When I first got my iPad, and discovered that there was no way to delete a photo without using iTunes (something I understand they later fixed) my wife and I laughed and laughed. Imagine, something that every other manufacturer had figured out decades ago -- deleting files -- was impossible to do on the iPad without first connecting it to a competitor's machine (my PC) and running my MUSIC SOFTWARE. Ludicrous.

After that, I never regarded the iPad as a serious tool again.

The first iPad was simply not ready for primetime when I bought it. That's what makes the N7 so great -- it's Google's first effort, and it's a grand slam. Everything works as designed, the way you expect it, right out of the box.

Back