iPad vs. Nexus 7

You're pretty hilarious, for a humorless guy. If you can't get in the spirit of the discussions (as in the fun bantering about the "best plane"), it's best to just sit on your hands.

Same with you, Mafoo. You're so vested in Job's Follies that you just can't admit that Apple sucks in so many ways.

Yet another example: Today the internet is all a-Twitter about a "new" app called Apple Maps on the iPhone5 because it will actually give you turn-by-turn GPS driving instructions -- a capability that Android phones have had for YEARS.

This isn't a small thing. I used that feature literally daily for years after we moved to Texas in 2010. I am using it in Reno right now. For Apple to be so far behind is appalling.

I have had turn by turn for years as well on my iPhone. In fact, I am kind of upset that they added that feature to iOS, because one of the nice things about the iPhone, is you have several companies that compete for this feature, thus my options are superior to that on Android. Now that it's built in, the competing companies will have less customers, and will most likely start to fade away.

This is the one I use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps-drive/id328095974?mt=8

As for "You're so vested in Job's Follies that you just can't admit that Apple sucks in so many ways." I see there faults, and I have recommended the Nexus to several of my friends based on there needs.

It's called using logic and reason without emotional attachment. You should try it sometime :)

I didn't say they wouldn't sell. If Steve Jobs dropped a turd on the street I have no doubt that there are at least five million fanboys who'd have picked it up and sing its praises.

Main thing I wanted was a screen at least as big as my two year old Droid X. An industry-standard connector would have been nice, but I recognize Apple doesn't care much about that.

Such is life.

I strongly suspect that Steve Jobs had little to no involvement with the iPhone 5 launch.

I strongly suspect that Steve Jobs had little to no involvement with the iPhone 5 launch.

Marketing said there wasn't a market for iZombie. And no one wanted to see him walking around on stage saying, "Braaaaaaains! Brrrraaaaaaaaaaiiiinnnssss!"

Well, regardless of the Apple/Android fanboy war going on in here, I REALLY like the 7" form factor for flying use, and I'm just about ready to buy a 16 GB Nexus 7. Garmin Pilot for the entire USA (including Alaska) takes less than 5 GB, and I can use my Droid Incredible as my emergency backup.

I wish I could get 32GB, but for the .25 AMU, (.3 AMU including the Garmin subscription), I can afford to replace it in a couple of years. That .3 AMU is LESS than I pay for NACO approach plate DVD and just a small area of VFR and IFR sectional/enroute charts. So I could afford to buy a whole new tablet each year and STILL have my flying budget go down.

I understand why NACO is in trouble... but they can suck it up and charge more for the paper to reflect the higher production and distribution charges.

Well, regardless of the Apple/Android fanboy war going on in here...

I think its just Android fanboy, and it's just one person. Everyone else in this thread has stated both iPad and the Nexus are better suited devices based on needs.

I have yet to see anyone in this thread state that Android sucks, and the the Nexus 7 has no role.

All in all, aside from one person, this has been a pretty fair discussion about the advantages of both.

You're pretty hilarious, for a humorless guy. If you can't get in the spirit of the discussions (as in the fun bantering about the "best plane"), it's best to just sit on your hands.

Same with you, Mafoo. You're so vested in Job's Follies that you just can't admit that Apple sucks in so many ways.

So thats what it's called..."Bantering"... Gotcha.. Where I grew up they called that obnoxious bragging....

A good friend let me know ol' Uncle Elmer was over here being Uncle Elmer (stirring the pot :stirpot: and spreading his unique form of wisdom :idea: ), and as usual, questioning the intelligence of anyone that dare challenge his superior intellect.

What do the following all have in common:

1. Company with the largest market cap in the US (all sectors)?
2. Company with the largest revenue in the Technology sector (double that of MS and triple that of Google)?
3. Company with second largest Net Income of all publicly traded companies (more than double that of second place technology company)?
4. Company that pioneered the smartphone, tablet and digital music player markets?
5. Marketshare leader in the laptop segment.
6. Etc.
7. Etc.

Geeze they must be doing something right... or could it be all their customers are "Fanboys" (whatever the hell that is) as you have suggested...

I couldn't be happier that you found the perfect device for your needs, even if it means you had to settle for second (or third) best (not everyone can handle the number one spot). I'm also very excited about the comic relief you provide by comparing a current generation device to one at least three generations old, ...and the amazing sales growth patterns of your beloved Nexus 7 that may indeed someday surpass the 5-day sales volume of the iPad II (and possibly other) apple products.

Can we count on you to do a side by side PIREP when the iPad mini is launched next month? We'll help you with all the confusing stats, but would love to have your personal assessment.

How did I do "bantering"? :dunno:

bty...did you own a Beta Max?

Funny Jay, the same could be said for you and the Nexus 7...

And you can't admit that for some of us, the iPad really works well for our uses.

Yet another example: Today the internet is all a-Twitter about a "new" app called Apple Maps on the iPhone5 because it will actually give you turn-by-turn GPS driving instructions -- a capability that Android phones have had for YEARS.

This isn't a small thing. I used that feature literally daily for years after we moved to Texas in 2010. I am using it in Reno right now. For Apple to be so far behind is appalling.

Two things: First, Google makes Android, a competing OS. What incentive do they have to ensure that their software running on a competing OS has the same features? None. In fact, it's quite the disincentive. Second, there are plenty of apps for iOS that do provide turn-by-turn. Put another way: Whoopty do.

I've read everything I can find about the "new" iPhone, and it appears to be inferior in every way to the S3 in my pocket. I just watched a review of it on cable in my hotel room, and the roundtable consensus was "not worth it". Uh oh.

This is the second fairly underwhelming release of the iPhone in a row. Nothing really major has happened since the iPhone 4. However, for the most part, Apple is still right up there with everyone else in capabilities. That tells me two things: Apple was WAY ahead of the game before, and everyone expects Apple to be blowing our minds on every product introduction.

I have the iPhone 4S, and I'm not drooling enough over the iPhone 5 to go out and buy one and give the 4S to my gf... At least, yet. We'll have to see if I love it when I get one in my hand.

I have the iPhone 4S, and I'm not drooling enough over the iPhone 5 to go out and buy one and give the 4S to my gf... At least, yet. We'll have to see if I love it when I get one in my hand.

Yea, I am going to get one for my wife. I don't really need one over the 4s, as I work from home most of the time.

The funny thing is the phone is not underwhelming, they just put all there efforts in a different direction. The iPhone 4s was already a pretty good phone. They upgraded every component in it, and at the same time made it 20% lighter, 18% thinner, and gave it better battery life.

Not sure how that's not considered an amazing accomplishment. Miniaturizing something that's already pretty small is no small task.

Others go with bigger, Apple went with smaller and lighter. If bigger is what you want, then Apple didn't come through for you.

If you are like me, and want something smaller, then the iPhone 5 is the best phone on the market.

Again, back to what you want out of your consumer electronics.

This is the second fairly underwhelming release of the iPhone in a row.

Actually, looking at the tech specs, it looks to me like 5 is the first device that covers both major types of cell carriers in a single handset. (Unless I missed it and 4S also does that?)

Either way, 4S or 5, forcing the folks that make cellular chipsets to produce a dual-mode chipset is huge. It allows the consumer to tell Carrier A to stuff it and switch to Carrier B as long as they don't play device locking games.

Which of course they will. Because they're our great competitive carriers with no price-collusion or monopolies. :)

But it's a significant step that long-term moves toward the right solution for end-users.

I'm still waiting for a carrier to get their act together enough to simply assign two phone numbers to one mobile device (already in the GSM spec but never deployed by anyone) so my company can pay the bill on their phone calls, and me mine.

Stupid simple to implement since the world routes all calls via SS7 ever since local number portability, which carriers dragged their feet on for a decade.

This is the second fairly underwhelming release of the iPhone in a row. Nothing really major has happened since the iPhone 4.

Most electronics have plateaued. Laptops, desktops, software, tablets, phones - most of the "killer app's" and the hardware to run 'em came along years ago. Since those breakthroughs, change has been incremental.

I remember going from an 8086 processor to a 286 processor and that it was a big deal in the PC world. Same thing for the 386, 486, and Pentium. But every time the technology jumped got you successively less incremental capability. Heck, these days, they don't even make a big deal about whatever chip is inside a desktop, because most customers can't tell the difference from a performance basis.

Cell phones are on pretty much the same path - the incremental changes aren't as big as they once were.

I learned a long time ago all technology proceeds along an "S" Curve.

Very small increments at the start, rapid and amazing growth in mid life and then a plateau. Airplanes, Computers, Phones, Automobiles, Toasters, Garbage Disposers, you name it.

As an Example, from the Wright Brothers through WWI small but measurable advances, rapid growth during WWII and the jet age and now, one 737 looks like another Airbus with the exception of some small improvements in engines like the PWA Geared Fan. The A380 is nothing but a A320 on steroids and the 787 is nothing but application of composites to commercial aircraft proven in Military Aircraft like the B-2.

Methinks Phones / Tablets have started the flattening of improvements about now. Maybe Moore's law has plateaued as well.:)

By the time this thread reaches 1000 pages, and it is well on the way, all tablets / phones will be the same and we can be done with it.:rolleyes:

Cheers

I haven't read every single post in this thread, but I have checked in regularly hoping to learn something. The only thing I have have learned is you either like Apple or you don't.

I have the The iphone and ipad and like them both. Of course I have never used any thing else, so the Android/Nexus bunch would call me an uneducated fanboy. My reason for this choice was simple. My company was providing us with ipads for EFB use. ( We were one of, if not the, first 135 operators to be approved for Foreflight/ipad use instead of paper.) Since it was time to finally upgrade to a smartphone, I elected to get the iphone 4 so it would be seamless with the ipad.

I know I am not the most tech savvy person. If I was paying for both and did more research, maybe I would have chosen something different, maybe not. They both have done what I have wanted them to do.

Some observations I would like to make after using these products in response to this thread. Keep in mind that prior to this I never owned or used an Apple product, so I am no fanboy and my next purchase may be another platform.

To me the size of both seem about right. I have found it funny that some are arguing that the iphone is too small while the iphone is to big. For me, I want my phone to be small so I can put it any pocket. On the other hand I want my tablet to be big enough to be functional. A lot have you have said that the ipad is too big for the cockpit, talking about like it is a sheet of plywood(my exagaration). I realize that 75% of my use is in the King Air and Pilatus, however, I spend quite a bit of time instructing in traveling in various Cessnas and a M20C. I have never found it to be a problem in size, glare, overheating, or functionality. Maybe it is because I am using it differently that you guys, more for charts and info as opposed to a primary nav source.

Unless the company changes it's FAA approved source for charts and flight planning, I will stick with the ipad. I must also say that Foreflight is a ridiculously great value for the money. I have been very impressed with the product and the companies continued effort to improve there product.

Please return to your polarized corners.

Dave

Don't tell their fans. They still believe Apple development is still channeling Steve on new products.

Apologies in advance for an on-topic post...

After four weeks of flying every day (most days multiple time) with Nexus 7 (after 14 months with iPad, which remains with me on all flights) here are my thoughts:

-- I love the 7" form factor in the cockpit and for carrying around. It fits perfectly in a cargo pocket. Just need to find some nicer slacks with cargo pockets!

-- The GPS is phenomenal. It locks on almost instantly and in places I can't believe it finds a signal....like in the middle of an office building. It's crazy.

-- Garmin software has most of the functionality of ForeFlight, but is nowhere near as intuitive or easy to use as ForeFlight. You get used to it, but every time I pick up FF I get warm fuzzies with how elegant it is in its design.

-- The iPad now feels like a lead weight when I pick it up. It's HEAVY! Never thought so before.

-- There are still things I prefer to do on the larger screen of the iPad....like this post. And AOPA Pilot magazine is STUNNING on the iPad.

Bottom line: I'm glad I have both and I will continue to use both. But if the Nexus 7 had been available at the time I would probably only own it. It meets the need for which I purchased the iPad and does so in a more cockpit-friendly form factor.

Two more pilots I fly with regularly went out and bought a Nexus after flying with mine this week. That's five that I know of so far. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for an on-topic post...

After four weeks of flying every day (most days multiple time) with Nexus 7 (after 14 months with iPad, which remains with me on all flights) here are my thoughts:

-- I love the 7" firm factor in the cockpit and for carrying around. It fits perfectly in a cargo pocket. Just need to find some nicer slacks with cargo pockets!

-- The GPS is phenomenal. It locks on almost instantly and in places I can't believe it finds a signal....like in the middle of an office building. It's crazy.

-- Garmin software has most of the functionality of ForeFlight, but is nowhere near as intuitive or easy to use as ForeFlight. You get used to it, but every time I pick up FF I get warm fuzzies with how elegant it is in its design.

-- The iPad now feels like a lead weight when I pick it up. It's HEAVY! Never thought so before.

-- There are still things I prefer to do on the larger screen of the iPad....like this post. And AOPA Pilot magazine is STUNNING on the iPad.

Bottom line: I'm glad I have both and I will continue to use both. But if the Nexus 7 had been available at the time I would probably only own it. It meets the need for which I purchased the iPad and does so in a more cockpit-friendly form factor.

Two more pilots I fly with regularly went out and bought a Nexus after flying with mine this week. That's five that I know of so far. Good stuff!

Good to hear. This makes me even more excited about a smaller iPad!

As for the weight, I have always thought the iPad was heavy. As I stated in a post above, I recommend tablets based on need. When people ask for my advice, I ask what they want to do with it, and if they say things like "well mostly I want one to check my email, browse the web, and read in bed before I go to sleep", the first thing that enters my mind, is you don't want an iPad. It's way to heavy for that application.

-- I love the 7" firm factor in the cockpit and for carrying around. It fits perfectly in a cargo pocket. Just need to find some nicer slacks with cargo pockets!

Loren,

An honest question for you and Jay - Do you mount the Nexus in portrait (vertical) or landscape (horizontal) orientation in the cockpit?

Presuming Apple does come out with the "iPad Mini" or whatever they call it this fall, I'll think seriously about getting one - My original iPad is getting somewhat long in the tooth (ie slow) and won't support the next version of iOS. In fact, as much as major OS upgrades have slowed down my gadgets and as slow as the iPad 1 has gotten after two of 'em, I wouldn't upgrade even if it was supported. But, I'm not expecting a new 10" iPad to come out this fall and the product cycle is far enough along that I don't really want to buy a "new iPad" now.

Loren,

An honest question for you and Jay - Do you mount the Nexus in portrait (vertical) or landscape (horizontal) orientation in the cockpit?

I always use it in portrait orientation. It fits between any yoke that way. The Garmin software seems optimized for that and it is best for viewing approach charts.

Good to hear. This makes me even more excited about a smaller iPad!

As for the weight, I have always thought the iPad was heavy. As I stated in a post above, I recommend tablets based on need. When people ask for my advice, I ask what they want to do with it, and if they say things like "well mostly I want one to check my email, browse the web, and read in bed before I go to sleep", the first thing that enters my mind, is you don't want an iPad. It's way to heavy for that application.

I never thought that. I lay in bed with it resting on my chest while reading and it wasn't much heavier than a large, hard cover book. It only seems heavy after holding a Nexus for awhile. My wife's Kindle Fire even seems heavy now.

I always use it in portrait orientation. It fits between any yoke that way. The Garmin software seems optimized for that and it is best for viewing approach charts.

I do the same for the larger tablet. The Foreflight map works equally well either way, but when it comes time to bring up documents, portrait is so much better.

The only downside, is I have to tap the button to get the document listing, as it's not always on the side panel in portrait.

I never thought that. I lay in bed with it resting on my chest while reading and it wasn't much heavier than a large, hard cover book. It only seems heavy after holding a Nexus for awhile. My wife's Kindle Fire even seems heavy now.

I have on more then one occasion , had it bonk me in the face when I get tired. Slips out of my hand, and falls on me.

I could change reading positions I guess, and hold it like do you, but that's how I have always read, so didn't really feel like changing it. :)

My Nexus 7 arrived yesterday and I loaded Garmin Pilot. Ran it riding the company shuttle from OLM to HIO this morning. Tracked the flight beautifully. I had pulled the flight plan from Flight Aware and loaded it into Pilot. Pilots did a nice job of tracking V204 coming down (according to the GPS in the Nexus). Within a few feet of centerline for a bunch of the flight. Now to learn more of the features... I'm a happy camper right now.

Google Gone Wild... haha... Jay's favorite company threatened Asus to stop development of their own cell phone...

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12...-threatened-acer-with-banishment-from-android

Sorry, back OT, but Google ain't any nicer than Apple... maybe worse. :)

I see nothing wrong with what Google is doing here. I suspect Google seeded much of Asus's development costs for the Nexus, and even if they didn't, I am sure they released some confidential information to help in the design of the hardware.

For Asus to then leverage that support to release a non-android device is a little underhanded.

I see nothing wrong with what Google is doing here. I suspect Google seeded much of Asus's development costs for the Nexus, and even if they didn't, I am sure they released some confidential information to help in the design of the hardware.

For Asus to then leverage that support to release a non-android device is a little underhanded.

Where's Wayne when we need him!

Facts not in evidence. ;)

Where's Wayne when we need him!

Facts not in evidence. ;)

True, but there are not enough fact to acuse Google of ruthless business practices either. ;)

If you are going to play the "need more information card", we can both play that game :p

True, but there are not enough fact to acuse Google of ruthless business practices either. ;)

If you are going to play the "need more information card", we can both play that game :p

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. No smoke to show your mythical wire transfer between Google and ASUS.

I have on more then one occasion , had it bonk me in the face when I get tired. Slips out of my hand, and falls on me.

I could change reading positions I guess, and hold it like do you, but that's how I have always read, so didn't really feel like changing it. :)

I'd be lying if I said I'd never been bonked in a drowsy moment. But I've been bonked by some pretty big books, too! :lol:

Last edited:
Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. No smoke to show your mythical wire transfer between Google and ASUS.

I said or a transfer of corporate knowledge. The other OS will run Android application, and I am fairly confident Google worked closely with Asus's engineers to develop better hardware.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57463495-93/the-inside-scoop-on-the-nexus-7-tablet-q-a/

"Android is open source, so they understand that by developing these products we're working with silicon vendors to make sure all the technology works with the software. And we're enhancing the software."

Even if they didn't, it's perfectly acceptable for any company who partners, to change the relationship with there partner if they chose to promote your competition.

If I were to build a list of "evil" companies, Google and Apple would be a long way away from the top.

Last edited:
Heh. Ok. I seriously doubt Asus is listening to Google for hardware advice though. Google phone, Google TV, lots of their hardware has been a pretty embarrassing bust.

Seems to me that Google needs Asus pretty bad, since Nexus is the first serious win.

Heh. Ok. I seriously doubt Asus is listening to Google for hardware advice though. Google phone, Google TV, lots of their hardware has been a pretty embarrassing bust.

Seems to me that Google needs Asus pretty bad, since Nexus is the first serious win.

No, but it might be the other way around as well.

Something like Asus saying "Hey, if you add that method call, or rewrite this subsystem this way, we can get 3% better battery life out of our GPS", and then Asus makes the hardware, and google conforms the software.

This is what makes Apple so tuff to compete against. They own both the hardware and the software, so they get to have that back and forth iterative development of both.

I am sure Google and Asus applied some of that to the Nexus as well.

Anyway, who knows what will come out of it. Good to know this is happening anyway. Thanks for the link.

Something like Asus saying "Hey, if you add that method call, or rewrite this subsystem this way, we can get 3% better battery life out of our GPS", and then Asus makes the hardware, and google conforms the software.

heh. I bet it's a LOT stranger than that. My time with working with NTT Japan was stuff straight out of the Twilight Zone.

"Hey, um... you guys realize you turned off logical logs on your database and if the machine loses power you can't roll forward logs to get your billing data back, right? I sent an e-mail with the commands to re-enable the logs and fix that."

"Ahh, thank you Nate-san. Must study."

They never turned it on, and complained every time the machine lost power that it lost data. Having been pre-warned of this "not invented here" behavior, I kept the e-mail. I e-mailed them a copy of the original with full headers including date stamp for six years at every power outage in their POP, and summarily closed the tickets with "assisted in restore from yesterday's backup, data loss caused by inappropriate DB configuration not recommended by us, instructions sent again, original instructions sent 2004" or whatever the year was. Hahaha.

heh. I bet it's a LOT stranger than that. My time with working with NTT Japan was stuff straight out of the Twilight Zone.

"Hey, um... you guys realize you turned off logical logs on your database and if the machine loses power you can't roll forward logs to get your billing data back, right? I sent an e-mail with the commands to re-enable the logs and fix that."

"Ahh, thank you Nate-san. Must study."

They never turned it on, and complained every time the machine lost power that it lost data. Having been pre-warned of this "not invented here" behavior, I kept the e-mail. I e-mailed them a copy of the original with full headers including date stamp for six years at every power outage in their POP, and summarily closed the tickets with "assisted in restore from yesterday's backup, data loss caused by inappropriate DB configuration not recommended by us, instructions sent again, original instructions sent 2004" or whatever the year was. Hahaha.

Not to put down your company (because mine is just as bad), but they are not Google. Google developers are some of the best in the world.

Another company that blows my mind, is Blizzard. If you think of the technical achievement that is World of Warcraft. The millions of lines of code that have to all work, the thousands of servers that users jump around on, the communications system for chat. The patch system for updates.

Companies like Apple, Google, Blizzard, Microsoft, and the like, are in a different world when it comes to development. We like to pick our favorites, and then make fun of the rest, but all of them are pretty damn special.

Last edited:
Not to put down your company (because mine is just as bad), but they are not Google. Google developers are some of the best in the world.

Another company that blows my mind, is Blizzard. If you think of the technical achievement that is World of Warcraft. The millions of lines of code that have to all work, the thousands of servers that users jump around on, the communications system for chat. The patch system for updates.

Companies like Apple, Google, Blizzard, Microsoft, and the like, are in a different world when it comes to development. We like to pick our favorites, and then make fun of the rest, but all of them are pretty damn special.

Yes. Special enough to create "Patch Tuesday". LOL.

Sorry, I don't put developers on any pedestals by company name. Seen too much broken stuff released by all of the above to buy into that Marketing schtick.

Some *individual* developers at all of the above-named places, yes. Many of those. It's about a 10:1 ratio of amazing developers to mediocre ones at any of the aforementioned companies.

What those companies do have over many others is solid leadership and command and control structures and tight loops back straight to the responsible developer when problems arise in the field. The companies that do the poorest at software all have one common problem, that I've seen (amongst a laundry list of others)... their structure is built around "Engineering as a siege" mentality.

Engineering is besieged on all sides by the rest of the business and releases are "thrown over the wall" at "the customers" outside. Most shouldn't be called releases, they should be called "escapes". ;)

There's no direct customer or customer service contact between engineers and front-line service staff, and it's walled off behind a phalanx of management meetings.

*Those* companies never get it right.

The companies you named aren't perfect by any means, but they have mechanisms in place to poke the person writing the code directly when customer issues come up.

Now Blizzard is an outlier, since they also attract young coders who badly want to write games, and have had lawsuits against them regarding their treatment of same, as have a couple others. The gaming coder world is a sweatshop for most coders. They chew them up and spit them out.

The other coder soul crushing industry is set top boxes. Dish and DirecTV are well known and avoided by senior coders as places that will grind you until you drop. Have never heard anyone say they ever wanted to go back to either company, ever. (Dish being headquartered here, I talk to a lot of ex-Dishers...).

This is insanely OT but fun to discuss. I definitely don't share your enthusiasm about how wonderful these business' coders are. You have to get through two and sometimes three layers of dimwitted ones to a senior person if you are working with them on something majorly broken. ;)

This is insanely OT but fun to discuss. I definitely don't share your enthusiasm about how wonderful these business' coders are. You have to get through two and sometimes three layers of dimwitted ones to a senior person if you are working with them on something majorly broken. ;)

Not sure what you have to deal with from a tech support position, but I have gone to some workshops where I have spent a fair amount of time with fellow developers who have worked on Exchange, Word, Google Maps, iOS, Windows 7, OSX, and some smaller projects at those receptive companies. They were all impressive. Maybe they never send the crappy ones to conferences, who knows :)

Never met anyone who works for Blizzard. I just marval at the accomplishment. Takes an act of God where I work just to stand up a new online enrollment process. Can't imagine what kind of process they must have in place to move that fast, and deliver with as few bugs as they have.

Maybe it's because I am a developer. For example, we all think Tim Tebow pretty much sucks as a QB, but if you are one of the 500,000 people in the US who played QB somewhere in there lifttime, and are not the 300 that were better then him, I am sure your impressed by what he can do :)

Is it big enough to read everything on an approach plate without zooming if it's yoke-mounted?

I'm guessing Jay uses his in landscape - An iPad is WAY too big to be mounted landscape, but the Nexus might work. If I weren't an IFR pilot, maybe I'd mount a smaller tablet in landscape too. But, my original desire for the iPad was for approach plates. All the other stuff that came with it was gravy! I'd been looking for something to do plates for several years before the iPad came out, and it blew them all away.

Is it big enough to read everything on an approach plate without zooming if it's yoke-mounted?

I'm guessing Jay uses his in landscape - An iPad is WAY too big to be mounted landscape, but the Nexus might work. If I weren't an IFR pilot, maybe I'd mount a smaller tablet in landscape too. But, my original desire for the iPad was for approach plates. All the other stuff that came with it was gravy! I'd been looking for something to do plates for several years before the iPad came out, and it blew them all away.

I can read all the details fine without zooming and that's with 55 yo bespectacled eyes. That said, I often zoom in a bit after committing the MDA/DH to memory.

Back