iPad panel mount from Guardian and glare question...

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. Anybody got a user review for using a full size iPad (9.7") in the panel of your airplane? Guardian Avionics makes a great looking behind the panel mount... but I've had a guy that builds experimentals that says "forget about it... you can't control the position of the sun and when it hits it right, you won't be able to see it..." I use an iPad on my knee now, and it works, but a nice clean panel mount might be really nice.
If you can see it!
Anybody love theirs??
Coaching would be much appreciated before I cut a hole in the panel.
thanks
dan

Hello. Anybody got a user review for using a full size iPad (9.7") in the panel of your airplane? Guardian Avionics makes a great looking behind the panel mount... but I've had a guy that builds experimentals that says "forget about it... you can't control the position of the sun and when it hits it right, you won't be able to see it..." I use an iPad on my knee now, and it works, but a nice clean panel mount might be really nice.
If you can see it!
Anybody love theirs??
Coaching would be much appreciated before I cut a hole in the panel.
thanks
dan
I say that if you like the way you're using it now, don't change. I'd heavily weigh the consequences of cutting a hole in the panel for something that will be obsolete and may be unserviceable in 5-7 years.

upload_2021-5-10_12-42-51.png

I use a 9.7 ipad pro in both my planes...I plan to continue using 9.7 ipads as long as they work properly with ForeFlight. I incorporated RAM hardware in both my yoke mounted installs...Bonanza and Cessna 195.

not to mention how beautiful that radial is out front Doug!

I have an old 9.7 inch I pad pro. Second the idea of NOT cutting a hole in your panel. Your I Pad will have to be replaced long before your panel, and then you'll have a hole that doesn't fit anything. Dito on the sun, the heat, etc. I use a Ram mount on the side, and in hot weather I have an X mount cradle with fans to keep from over heating.

I’ve gone through probably a half dozen mounts and always come back to setting the pad in my lap. I bought a soft rubber cover that is designed to protect it from destruction by a child. It sticks in place on my lap and works great. I personally wouldn’t want to modify my panel for something that be replaced in five years. Also by having it in my lap I can move it easily if I need to keep it out of the Sun or something.

thanks Doc. I appreciate the response

Back