iPad mini: It's alive!!!

This one is much more interesting....
View attachment 73058

Watching the truck now....UPS delivers business first. Really annoying because the truck was 1 block from my house an hour ago but residential deliveries are last. Which means I'll be at the university when it gets delivered. Need to ask my neighbor to grab the box when it shows up.

Not a big deal, I'm on hold with Garmin to talk to one of the engineers about SL30/175 integration.

woohooo!!

Wonder if I walk across the street, if the driver will give me the box so I won't have to wait until tonight....

Had to wait until I got back from school.

Unpacked it. One of the first screens says "hold iPhone or iPad near to set up - or set up manually". Which implies to me that it will clone all the details (logins, etc). Great. Fine. But....neither my iPhone nor my other iPad mini seems to make any impression on the new iPad.

rats.

Had to wait until I got back from school.

Unpacked it. One of the first screens says "hold iPhone or iPad near to set up - or set up manually". Which implies to me that it will clone all the details (logins, etc). Great. Fine. But....neither my iPhone nor my other iPad mini seems to make any impression on the new iPad.

rats.

Mine didn't work either, I had to do manual setup. Just a guess but I have an older 6S Plus and I'm guessing this setup option requires NFC which isn't(essentially) available until later phones, the old mini didn't have it either. Manual setup will work fine, then if you had the old ipad backed up in the cloud you can restore from that backup and basically clone it onto the new one, at least that's what I did.

Mine didn't work either, I had to do manual setup. Just a guess but I have an older 6S Plus and I'm guessing this setup option requires NFC which isn't(essentially) available until later phones, the old mini didn't have it either. Manual setup will work fine, then if you had the old ipad backed up in the cloud you can restore from that backup and basically clone it onto the new one, at least that's what I did.
Odd. Going from a 6s to a Xs, the hold near jumpstart worked for both my wife and I. Didn’t do 100%, but was quite a shortcut.

Update....the instructions on the iPad are not helpful...went on Apple's Support page and it says to turn on Bluetooth on the old unit. Yup...worked great.
Next issue - connecting to wifi. Unfortunately, I need the MAC address of the new unit to enter into my firewall. But I can't get the MAC address until I have wifi working....WAIT! There's a tiny i at the bottom of the first screen....aHA!
SN, IMEI, CNN and the ICCD - but none of them are the MAC address.

Now, on the computer, I get "Welcome to your New Ipad" on iTunes. So I'm restoring the new iPad from the old iPad backup...wish it had told me I needed to do this, I would have backed up the old one first.

Not the greatest approach to a new system, lousy directions.

Next project - swapping out the AT&T sim card. But not tonight. Walk dog.

Grmp.

Yeah, Apple brand tribal knowledge. I always make sure I have a recent iCloud backup and a new PC backup before changing devices. I’ve never actually had to go back to the PC backup, but can’t shake belt and suspenders mentality.

Same level of IOS?

Tom

Right now almost all the apps are "Loading". I paused all but one....same problem. Looks as if the download in iTunes from my computer is stalled. Altho iTunes is open and recognizes the new iPad, it's not doing anything, as per the activity monitor. Did a backup of the new iPad, that appears to have worked --- but I can't find the backup files on the computer.

Set up the Wifi & Bluetooth addresses on the firewall. Select wifi on the iPad - get the message "No Internet Connection" which is a new message. Before, when the addresses weren't in the firewall, wifi attempts on the new iPad were just ignored. Looks like it keeps trying...

Rats...I'm not happy that I'm forced to head over to an Apple store for help. I've got Macs older than most of the people who work there. How embarassing.

Didn't have any problems with the other 2 iPads....

Same level of IOS?

Tom

Probably, I didn't really spend any time troubleshooting it since to me that defeats the whole purpose of the gee-whiz feature and manual setup took me less time than figuring it out would have.

Right now almost all the apps are "Loading". I paused all but one....same problem. Looks as if the download in iTunes from my computer is stalled. Altho iTunes is open and recognizes the new iPad, it's not doing anything, as per the activity monitor. Did a backup of the new iPad, that appears to have worked --- but I can't find the backup files on the computer.

Set up the Wifi & Bluetooth addresses on the firewall. Select wifi on the iPad - get the message "No Internet Connection" which is a new message. Before, when the addresses weren't in the firewall, wifi attempts on the new iPad were just ignored. Looks like it keeps trying...

Rats...I'm not happy that I'm forced to head over to an Apple store for help. I've got Macs older than most of the people who work there. How embarassing.

Didn't have any problems with the other 2 iPads....

For the wifi, you might try going into your wifi settings, hit the little "i" icon next to your wifi and select "forget this network" and try setting it up again. That frequently fixes wifi connection problems, as does rebooting the device. If that doesn't work I'd look at your router/firewall.

Don't know about the syncing issues but if your wifi isn't connecting that would likely explain it.

Probably, I didn't really spend any time troubleshooting it since to me that defeats the whole purpose of the gee-whiz feature and manual setup took me less time than figuring it out would have.

For the wifi, you might try going into your wifi settings, hit the little "i" icon next to your wifi and select "forget this network" and try setting it up again. That frequently fixes wifi connection problems, as does rebooting the device. If that doesn't work I'd look at your router/firewall.

Don't know about the syncing issues but if your wifi isn't connecting that would likely explain it.
I run a hardware firewall inside the ISP's modem. I had the firewall set to allow 5 devices at one time...guess what, that's right, already had 5 up and running. Changed it to 10, life is good. The Apple instructions on the iPad are incomplete and misleading.

My Wife, bless her heart, just surprised me with the gift of a Mini 5. Mine cloned with no issues so far. It kindof took me by surprise. Anyone want to purchase a clean used Mini 4? 32 GB, cellular, unlocked.

As a data point. I have the cell 5 but haven’t moved the ATT chip yet. GPS works just fine.

My Wife, bless her heart, just surprised me with the gift of a Mini 5. Mine cloned with no issues so far. It kindof took me by surprise. Anyone want to purchase a clean used Mini 4? 32 GB, cellular, unlocked.
JOOC - how much would you want for it?

As a data point. I have the cell 5 but haven’t moved the ATT chip yet. GPS works just fine.

Yup. You don't need to have a cell plan for the GPS to work, you just have to buy the cellular version that has the GPS hardware in it.

I am typing this on my new iPad Mini as we speak. After Amazon took two days to ship it, UPS sent it to Des Moines instead of Sioux Falls, then to Minneapolis, then back to Louisville, it finally appeared Tuesday...when I was out of town. Haven’t flown with it yet, but I installed ForeFlight and it is loading so much faster and typing in flight plans is ridiculously more smooth than the old Mini 2 I had. Ordered a case that fits perfect (microphone hole included), but I will need to order a new RAM mount for the plane.

Has anyone tried the Apple Pencil yet (in ForeFlight) and how do you like it?

I am typing this on my new iPad Mini as we speak. After Amazon took two days to ship it, UPS sent it to Des Moines instead of Sioux Falls, then to Minneapolis, then back to Louisville, it finally appeared Tuesday...when I was out of town. Haven’t flown with it yet, but I installed ForeFlight and it is loading so much faster and typing in flight plans is ridiculously more smooth than the old Mini 2 I had. Ordered a case that fits perfect (microphone hole included), but I will need to order a new RAM mount for the plane.

Has anyone tried the Apple Pencil yet (in ForeFlight) and how do you like it?
just picked up the pencil this afternoon, having BBQ right now....there are priorities, you understand.

Haven’t flown with it yet, but I installed ForeFlight and it is loading so much faster and typing in flight plans is ridiculously more smooth than the old Mini 2 I had. Ordered a case that fits perfect (microphone hole included), but I will need to order a new RAM mount for the plane.

Did you already have a RAM mount for the Mini 2? If so, why do you need a new one? I know some things have moved a little, but I was hoping my RAM Mini 2 mount would work for the 5, since it doesn't touch the sides anywhere near the buttons.

Did you already have a RAM mount for the Mini 2? If so, why do you need a new one? I know some things have moved a little, but I was hoping my RAM Mini 2 mount would work for the 5, since it doesn't touch the sides anywhere near the buttons.
The Mini (5) is slighty longer than the Mini 2, so it won't fit. It is the same dimensions as the Mini 4, so a mount for that one would fit.

Granted, I haven't physically tried it, but I tried the case I had for my Mini 2 and it didn't fit. I know from experience that the Mini 2 was a snug fit in the RAM mount already, so I don't wanna run the risk of cracking something by forcing it in. I also install and remove it every time I fly, so I want it to be a perfect fit. And at $15 from Amazon with free shipping, it was a no brainer for me.

The new case for my mini 5 still hasn’t shown up so I tried stuffing it into the old case from my mini 2. It does fit but of course the camera hole and buttons don’t line up right. It fits well enough though and should do fine until my new one arrives.

The new case for my mini 5 still hasn’t shown up so I tried stuffing it into the old case from my mini 2. It does fit but of course the camera hole and buttons don’t line up right. It fits well enough though and should do fine until my new one arrives.
Was it a flexible case? I have a non flexible one and it didn't fit. But it's close enough that a rubbery case would probably squeeze on

Hey, pilot friends. This is my first post. ;)

Just getting back into flying and have a ForeFlight subscription. I rent C-172s and am curious which Ram mount setup to get for the yolk mount? The claw looks nice, and I can get the correct holder for the Mini 5, but which extension bar thingy do I need to connect the two?

Was it a flexible case? I have a non flexible one and it didn't fit. But it's close enough that a rubbery case would probably squeeze on

yeah it's a flex case with a reinforcing hard plastic shell on the back

Just getting back into flying and have a ForeFlight subscription. I rent C-172s and am curious which Ram mount setup to get for the yolk mount? The claw looks nice, and I can get the correct holder for the Mini 5, but which extension
bar thingy do I need to connect the two?

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U
or
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-C

It'll kind of depend on how you like to mount the iPad as to which arm you want. Just don't get the short one as it won't be long enough. I use the long one along with the yoke claw. In a 172, the suction cup also works well on the left side window just by the panel. I used to have that, until it started falling off anytime it got hot and the suction cup lost suction.

Welcome aboard (the crazy train ;) ) !!

Just getting back into flying and have a ForeFlight subscription. I rent C-172s and am curious which Ram mount setup to get for the yolk mount? The claw looks nice, and I can get the correct holder for the Mini 5, but which extension bar thingy do I need to connect the two?

So, it sounds like you have the yoke mount and the iPad Mini 5 cradle?

After some trial and error and a time where I was flying several different planes, I have a few bits to add to those that will pretty much allow for any position in any airplane: A long arm, a medium arm, a short arm, a double-ball connector, and a suction cup. Having the ability to use more than one arm via the double-ball connector allows you to make it go around corners and have additional degrees of freedom. It allows, for example, the ability to raise and lower the iPad in front of the yoke without worrying about the yoke itself being in the way - Just start with one arm on top of the yoke attached to the yoke clamp on one end and the double ball on the other end, and then run another arm from the other side of the double ball to the iPad cradle. Having the suction cup allows you to move it off the yoke, or use it in a plane that doesn't have a yoke to begin with.

Hope this helps!

So found this setup I really like on ipadpilotnews.com. Anybody use this? I like this better than the yoke mount I think. This is one of Sporty's 172s. @Radar Contact uses this setup in his 310. Below it is the Ram mount they say they are using with a link to it.

R4QFj55.jpg

ZMYRHW2.png

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/r....html?utm_source=ipadblog&utm_medium=referral

So found this setup I really like on ipadpilotnews.com. Anybody use this? I like this better than the yoke mount I think. This is one of Sporty's 172s. @Radar Contact uses this setup in his 310. Below it is the Ram mount they say they are using with a link to it.

R4QFj55.jpg

ZMYRHW2.png

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/r....html?utm_source=ipadblog&utm_medium=referral

I used both my yoke clamp and my suction cup in the 182. I can't remember why for sure, but after trying both I ended up sticking with the yoke clamp there. I think it was simply that having it on the yoke blocked less of the panel, believe it or not.

I did use the suction cup mount extensively in the DA40. No yoke, no other bars to clamp to, and practically infinite canopy space to use.

Some planes are better for the window mount than others. I found that in a 172 and Cherokee, window mount worked fine. In the Mooney, it loses suction right away, which I can only assume is due to the different curvature of the window

R4QFj55.jpg

ZMYRHW2.png

As mentioned...that is exactly what I use in the same location. I've tried other ways and don't like anything else. The mini size is perfect as it doesn't block instruments or views...really excited they continued it for now.

I used both my yoke clamp and my suction cup in the 182. I can't remember why for sure, but after trying both I ended up sticking with the yoke clamp there. I think it was simply that having it on the yoke blocked less of the panel, believe it or not.

I did use the suction cup mount extensively in the DA40. No yoke, no other bars to clamp to, and practically infinite canopy space to use.

I finally got the mini 5. I already had the basics of the suction mount and the yoke mount. Just had to order the ball attachment and the iPad mini holder. I'm going to try both and see how I like it next time I fly. I'll post some pics.

I'd

R4QFj55.jpg

ZMYRHW2.png

I use something like that in the Lance and before that in my old Archer except it was for my iphone 6s plus. My concern would be that on occasion the suction cup gives and it falls with the phone. I'd think with the heavier ipad this would be more frequent and more annoying. Would love to be proven wrong.

I use something like that in the Lance and before that in my old Archer except it was for my iphone 6s plus. My concern would be that on occasion the suction cup gives and it falls with the phone. I'd think with the heavier ipad this would be more frequent and more annoying. Would love to be proven wrong.

I was just watching @Radar Contact's latest video and it did fall off a few times. Hadn't seen it do that before. But I'll give it a try. I do have the yoke mount too in case I need it.

My concern would be that on occasion the suction cup gives and it falls with the phone. I'd think with the heavier ipad this would be more frequent and more annoying. Would love to be proven wrong.

Valid concern. An instrument student of mine had a suction cup mounted GPS come loose and knock off the BATT/ALT switches in an early model SR22 (later models had a “guard” over the switches). Fortunately we were doing a simulated approach at the time, not a real one. I’d be VERY wary of a device falling and interfering with the controls at an inopportune moment, especially takeoff or landing. At the very least, a falling iPhone or iPad could be very distracting.

As an aside, I have found that suction cups come loose at higher altitudes - simple physics is involved as ambient air pressure decreases, decreasing the pressure differential between the suction cup and surrounding air. It might be a good idea to “re-seat” the suction cup every 5,000’ or so in the climb.

As an aside, I have found that suction cups come loose at higher altitudes - simple physics is involved as ambient air pressure decreases, decreasing the pressure differential between the suction cup and surrounding air. It might be a good idea to “re-seat” the suction cup every 5,000’ or so in the climb.

Good point.

Valid concern. An instrument student of mine had a suction cup mounted GPS come loose and knock off the BATT/ALT switches in an early model SR22 (later models had a “guard” over the switches). Fortunately we were doing a simulated approach at the time, not a real one. I’d be VERY wary of a device falling and interfering with the controls at an inopportune moment, especially takeoff or landing. At the very least, a falling iPhone or iPad could be very distracting.

Sunlight. The sun hits the black through the window, heading up the air inside the suction, causing it to expand in comparison to the ambient air around the suction cup. On sunny days my iPad holder will fall off (not so) unexpectedly.

Back