Ipad mini for foreflight

ExpressJetter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ExpressJetter
I'm looking at getting an iPad mini for foreflight. This iPad is strictly going to be used for foreflight and my Delta zulu headset. I have a Garmin gdl50 for adsb in and want to get an ipad with cellular. What Im trying to figure out is,.....

Is an iPad mini 4 with 128gb used good enough, or is there something where it won't/can't run current versions of ios? I would like to avoid spending full retail price of an iPad mini 6. Would a 32gb or 64gb version be ok? Or is it way too small for storage?

Thanks in advance.

I have an IPad mini 4. I would advise that you purchase the newest you can afford.

The reason, battery life. The battery on my IPad is the reason I want to move away from Foreflight once I get my IR finished. My IPad mini 4 is on its second battery and at this point has only about 1/2 the capacity that the battery did when new.

Apple products are terrible about long term battery management, and replacing the battery is a nightmare (mine resulted in damage to the screen). When you add to that the extreme heat and cold that the iPad can be exposed to in the airplane, the battery situation becomes worse (I personally think the heat of flying in the desert killed mine).

In addition, Foreflight does not need a huge amount of CPU power to run, by running it on newer, faster hardware there will be less demand on the battery and less heat generated by the CPU.

Personally a 32gb might be a little small. My FF takes up about 13gb right now and that is only about 1/4 of the states included in downloads. Factor in all the other stuff the iPad needs storage for and you would be dang close. Can't really speak to the model as I use a 5th gen.

I have a 5 with the GPS chipset I need to sell... and possibly a 4.

Are you sure it will be used only for those two things? I know people who have done that but my first quickly became more generally used and filled with music, movies, and, even just for aviation, multiple apps, manuals and publications. I stopped taking my laptop on vacation about 8 years ago (even though all my iPads have been WiFi only).

Aside from the storage issue, as an almost 12 year user, I think you are throwing away your money if you buy a 4.

I have a 4 and a 5

I fly with the 4 because I'm afraid that I will forget the cable for the 5. I always have a lightening cable with me.

I would recommend getting the 6, but I have a 4 that I have used with ForeFlight for 5 years and it has worked great.

I just bought the new Mini - and I use it exclusively for FF. Mine is NOT cellular - I use my Android phone as a hot spot, and a Sentry for GPS input. The Mini is probably just a touch too small, but I can live with that. It's been on my kneeboard - was thinking about moving it to the yoke, but with my new Sentry with AHRS, I think I'll use a Ram or Pivot mount to "fix" it in place on the left side of the windscreen.

I think 128G will do - I have most of the east coast covered, south of NE.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll get the 6. Esp since people are saying the 4 might struggle. I'm always weary of buying electrics used or refurbed. I might throw some light music on it, but don't plan on movies. I'll be mostly keeping it in the plane.
In addition to the 6, I'd get the cellular as well...it just gives you one more layer of redundancy, because the cellular gives it a built in GPS.

When it comes to computer equipment I always try and get the latest and greatest. Most of these things will handily outlive their usefulness, hence they have built in obsolescence. Getting the latest means it'll work that much longer.

When it comes to computer equipment I always try and get the latest and greatest. Most of these things will handily outlive their usefulness, hence they have built in obsolescence. Getting the latest means it'll work that much longer.
...and it makes the resale value better when you trade up.

@Hang 4 so I missed it!

I recently joined a club that has a nice (for me) panel. 2 G5s, GTN650 waas (are all 650s waas?) and gtx-345 xpdr with ADS B in/out.

Somewhere in this magic I can blue tooth an iPad into the panel and share flight plan information and get traffic and wx out to an iPad.

I just returned to flying in November (21) from not flying since 2008. I'm waaaaaaay behind technologically and actually have been using paper charts, knee pad and the 650 screen.

I have read here, and heard from others, I need cellular for the GPS and the largest memory. In the iPad 6 that puts me at $899 I think.

I was going to hold off until the new year / see how bonus and year-end employment shakes out, but I fly in pretty congested space under the 1900 foot layer of ORDs Bravo.

Maybe I don't need the memory and gps in the iPad . . .

I went for memory, but no GPS. I have a Stratux that I can use if my main panel goes to crap. Haven't missed the native GPS. It's worth checking around on the interweb for prices. I recently got an apple watch at a $100 discount on Amazon by checking regularly. Walmart and Target sometimes have OK discounts as well.

@Hang 4 so I missed it!

I recently joined a club that has a nice (for me) panel. 2 G5s, GTN650 waas (are all 650s waas?) and gtx-345 xpdr with ADS B in/out.

Somewhere in this magic I can blue tooth an iPad into the panel and share flight plan information and get traffic and wx out to an iPad.

I just returned to flying in November (21) from not flying since 2008. I'm waaaaaaay behind technologically and actually have been using paper charts, knee pad and the 650 screen.

I have read here, and heard from others, I need cellular for the GPS and the largest memory. In the iPad 6 that puts me at $899 I think.

I was going to hold off until the new year / see how bonus and year-end employment shakes out, but I fly in pretty congested space under the 1900 foot layer of ORDs Bravo.

Maybe I don't need the memory and gps in the iPad . . .

The gtx-345 ADS-B in can pair with the iPad on Foreflight and Garmin Pilot (But not other EFBs).

I like having a built in GPS on my iPad for redundancy (I have lost electrical twice, in 2 different planes, in my first 200 hours flying).

I'm looking at getting an iPad mini for foreflight. This iPad is strictly going to be used for foreflight and my Delta zulu headset. I have a Garmin gdl50 for adsb in and want to get an ipad with cellular. What Im trying to figure out is,.....

Is an iPad mini 4 with 128gb used good enough, or is there something where it won't/can't run current versions of ios? I would like to avoid spending full retail price of an iPad mini 6. Would a 32gb or 64gb version be ok? Or is it way too small for storage?

Thanks in advance.
The iPad mini 6 has been on sale on amazon lately due to it being a year old, etc. I have a 6, and with pencil support for copying ATIS or a clearance, it's brilliant. You could certainly get away with a 4, but the 6 is REALLY good IMO. Look again to see if you can find a deal; I think you'd be super happy with a 6.

I have an iPad Mini from, wait for it, 2016, and it still works great. At the time it was a top of the line model with the GPS and receiver and max memory.

Airplane cockpits are small enough I did not want some lunch room tray size thing in the cockpit. I also find Apple products and the whole ecosystem abhorrent so this iPad is used strictly for flying / Foreflight

I stopped getting updates a while ago but it still works great otherwise, put about 700 hrs on it.

Battery life at this point is down to about 1 to 2 hours but I either have it plugged in in the airplane to an outlet or bring a battery pack most of the time

Eventually I'll upgrade do whatever the latest iPad mini is when this truly stops working

Suggestion - instead of relying on the I Pad battery, buy a very long lightning cord from Amazon and fly with the I Pad plugged into the power adaptor in the cigarette power outlet.

Suggestion - instead of relying on the I Pad battery, buy a very long lightning cord from Amazon and fly with the I Pad plugged into the power adaptor in the cigarette power outlet.

I carry a USB 12v adaptor and a USB battery pack. But one of the rentals I used to fly did not have a 12V adaptor available. Also, when its really hot, charging the iPad increases the chance of it overheating.

I also recommend going with the newer model. I finally upgraded from my 4 to a 6. It did okay storage-wise on 32gb(I typically only keep 3-4 states downloaded), but it IS a 2015 model, ancient in tech terms; the battery life was starting to suffer a lot, and it was getting slower and glitchier with every update.

Quite happy with the upgrade. It feels much smoother and snappier, battery life is great, screen is nicer and brighter, etc. Plus, as begrudging as I was to spend the extra cash on the newfangled Apple pencil, the palm rejection feature makes is SOOO much nicer to jot down clearances and such. Acts like a regular scratchpad where you dont have to use a finger or hold the stylus awkwardly to not confuse the touchscreen. Getting the cellular+GPS model was a really nice addition as well, but not expressly needed if you already use a Sentry/Stratus/etc.

Edit to add tl;dr:
way more cost effective to just bite the bullet for a newer setup, than to invest in a cheaper but older tablet that's already striding into the sunset

Last edited:
I had a old mini, worked like a champ until
I updated the iOS, I have the new buttonless mini now, it’s nice however I won’t make the mistake of updating for the sake of updating again

My mini 5 is mounted on the dash . The whole panel was replaced after an accident and rebuild a few years back. I do not have the 6 pack . 2 of the 6 were replaced by the I-pad. The I pad with Foreflight works for me. Not certifiable for instrument training . Being I'm and old guy who only wants to fly in and about my local area , day light hours , nice weather , and for the enjoyment of flight it's good enough. (Farm crop checks ) Only one tower controlled airport in the whole area I fly . And it's never a place I want or need to fly to.Exception being to finish up my cross country and the 3 full stop landings with pattern work there . Most likely the Flight Exam there .
North Montana , east of the great divide is my home and flight area . Mini 5 and ForeFlight will do the job.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll get the 6. Esp since people are saying the 4 might struggle.

What people may not realize is that the Mini is not updated anywhere close to every year. The original Mini came out in 2012 and up through the 4 it did come out every year. However, the only difference between the 2 and the 3 was the addition of the Touch ID fingerprint reader, so the 3 had a year-old CPU on day 1. Similarly, the 4, which came out in 2015, used year-old hardware. So, DO NOT BUY A MINI 4 as it is essentially 8 year old technology now and long past its useful life. It does not represent a good value whatsoever.

The Mini 5 came out in 2019. It's OK. It came out with a year-old chip too, but since it had been 4 years since the previous Mini, it was a much-needed upgrade... Especially for those of us who had older ones and were holding off on upgrading because they hadn't released a new one in four years!

The 6 came out in 2021. I have one, and I'm a big fan. They finally got the nearly-edge-to-edge screen like the iPhones, so the device itself is the same size but the screen is significantly larger than the previous ones. They also FINALLY went back to having the most up-to-date chip (at release time) in it, so even though it's only 2 years newer than the Mini 5, the tech is 3 years newer. Because of that, and the fact that it's not on the regular 1-year update cadence, I bought one immediately when they came out even though the 5 was still working OK. I don't want to be stuck with the same one for 7 years again like I was with the Mini 2 I had before the 5.

I'm always weary of buying electrics used or refurbed.

For what it's worth, buying refurbs directly from Apple is great. I've been doing it for a long time when I'm buying something that didn't just get released. It seems to take maybe 3 months after a product is released before they'll have refurbs available.

In any case, Apple's refurbs are the DOA units that get returned. They're fixed, given a new outer case and screen (only the "guts" are original), tested more comprehensively, and then sold. In effect, they're better than new.

I'll be mostly keeping it in the plane.

Is your hangar climate controlled? Keeping a lithium battery in a very hot or cold environment will take years of life off it. Better to keep the iPad in your backpack/briefcase, keep it charged up, use it for flight planning before you get to the airport, and keep it generally at room temperature for longevity.

GTN650 waas (are all 650s waas?)

All of Garmin's newer stuff is WAAS. The last thing that wasn't WAAS was the 430 (no W).

From your description above, if you have flight plan transfer and such, you have a FlightStream 510 in that GTN 650 in addition to the other gear you mentioned. That will also send GPS data to your iPad.

So, while you don't technically NEED cellular, it's a very nice thing to have for two reasons: 1) Backup GPS (no cellular subscription needed for this), and 2) picking up weather and/or downloading charts/data at out-of-the-way airports. I don't use it a lot, but I'm glad I have it.

That said, if you don't feel like you need a backup, and you can tether to your phone, then the WiFi-only iPad will probably work fine for you.

As far as space, you don't NEED the biggest one either. In fact, 64GB is plenty if you're only using it for ForeFlight. As with most technology, though, you'll use more and more space over time, and especially if you think there's any chance you might use it for something else, having that extra storage will keep you from needing to buy your next iPad for a much longer time.

So, take that knowledge and apply it to your situation. You may want the $799 top of the line iPad Mini 6, or you may decide that the $499 base model is fine.

@flyingcheesehead - right now, I have no iPad. I have foreflight on an iPhone 8 Plus and paper charts plus the panel mounted 650 (with FlightStream 510 I guess).

Can I Bluetooth that to my phone to get traffic on my iPhone foreflight on the air?

@flyingcheesehead … good points…

but your post makes me miss not having Nate (@denverpilot) in this forum as much as in past…. The two of you going hammer and tongs over an Apple whatzit was a highlight
Of my week.

Get the Mini 6 @ExpressJetter. I use mine almost exclusively for Garmin Pilot and find it to be the best for flying.

@flyingcheesehead - right now, I have no iPad. I have foreflight on an iPhone 8 Plus and paper charts plus the panel mounted 650 (with FlightStream 510 I guess).

Can I Bluetooth that to my phone to get traffic on my iPhone foreflight on the air?
You should be able to do that.

Thanks in advance.

An iPhone 13 Pro Max has a screen size almost exactly the same as a Garmin Area 660. It might not be big enough for approaches, but for everything else it's great. I've stopped using the Mini for VFR flight. As soon as I can get the CFII rounded up, I'm going to try approaches on the 13 and see how it goes.

I have an iPad Mini 6 cellular with 64G memory and about 2/3 of the states on it. Works great and is a lot faster than the Mini 3 it replaced. Both bought slightly used and no issues but I scrutinized the situation/seller in person before purchase.

Yes.

An iPhone 13 Pro Max has a screen size almost exactly the same as a Garmin Area 660. It might not be big enough for approaches, but for everything else it's great. I've stopped using the Mini for VFR flight. As soon as I can get the CFII rounded up, I'm going to try approaches on the 13 and see how it goes.

FWIW, while it doesn't apply to part 91 ops, for a device to be considered a legal EFB for commercial ops it has to be able to display an entire approach plate on its screen at a readable size/resolution. But, I do tend to go with JC's philosophy: The rocks don't care what regulations you're operating under.

The iPhone Pro Max screen is very nice, but still not big enough to display the plate with the details readable in a moving aircraft, and the last time anyone should be head down scrolling and zooming is during an approach.

Back