iPad Mini 5 or Mini 6?

My 5 runs fine now. Not sure it will in 3 or 4 more years. That's why I'd put the money in a 6.
On sale of course.

I got the 5 for 299, Apple's trade program for dead iPads, new and with 90 days warranty, doubled with AMEX. It is super fast and crisp.... so far. I hear they are coming out with a Mini7 in the Fall so maybe I will add that one later on. Thanks all for the advice and comments. It helped a lot !

FF + iPad seems to be the best solution for IFR. Plus Apple's hardware is just top notch. Have had exactly one hardware failure with their products since 1984. That one instance they made good with an entirely new computer for free. Something to consider when bouncing through the clag.
My original 1984 mac stillboots.
My late 90s 8600 tower still runs
My early white macbook still works

My 2015 macbook air still works and use it all the time to drag to class and teach because I don’t care if something happens to it. It fell out of my backpack a coupleweeks ago. Corner of the add-on case was chipped. The computer? Works as advertised. These things are indestructible!

My development system is a 2020 mac mini with 32 gb
My original iPod is used all the time!

Last edited:
If I was going to buy new I would go new, a 6 I guess? Unless there is reason not to?

I am still using a mini 4 i pad from 2015 and have a 5 for a spare which has never been needed.

Last edited:
The mini 6 is a huge improvement.

1- the bezels are thinner so the effective screen area is larger

2- for me it doesn’t overheat in the cockpit or dim the screen as much as the mini 5 and mini 4 would. Overall it seems brighter and easier to read in the cockpit, even with sunglasses.

3- the charging connector is USB-C as opposed to the stupid apple proprietary connector on old iPads and iPhones.

4- huge performance improvement. Everything seems to load faster and work smoother.

3- the charging connector is USB-C as opposed to the stupid apple proprietary connector on old iPads and iPhones.

So what does the UCB-C connector give you the Apple lightning connector doesn’t?

So what does the UCB-C connector give you the Apple lightning connector doesn’t?
USB C also allows for a faster charge I believe.

It is convenient BTW to charge my tablet with the laptop USB charger.

An industry-standard non-proprietary connector so you don't have to carry special Apple cables just for your Apple stuff.

I only have Apple stuff and plenty of cables I’ve acquired over the years. So switching would be a major negative for me.

I hear the pain. I have a drawer full of USB micro - which is different from USB mini which I also have a boatload of. With a dozen of what is now considered low power charging cubes that are USB A.

But if for a few years it’s just one style that would be an improvement.

An industry-standard non-proprietary connector so you don't have to carry special Apple cables just for your Apple stuff.

No, it means I have to carry a special cable for my Mini 6, as everything else is Lightening or Micro USB. :D

No, it means I have to carry a special cable for my Mini 6, as everything else is Lightening or Micro USB. :D

We should ask you again in 2 years. :) C has the momentum and will be replacing usb A over the next decade or two. the others are legacy and aimed for the landfill.

Two years is not now.

I have 3 iOS devices. The Mini 6 is the only one that uses USB-C.

As far as longevity goes, here's the keyboard connected to my Mac Mini that I'm typing on right now:

52838016655_a8632fe7b6_z.jpg

I had to look up the model # online. It was Apple's first USB keyboard, circa 1998-2000. Apple stuff is, in general, pretty robust.

As far as cables go, it got so bad I found an old notebook and bought some zippered pencil cases.

52837828684_c3a40f1aed.jpg

I have labeled:

USB-C/LIGHTNING
USB-A/LIGHTNING
USB-C/USB-C
USB-A/MINI
USB-A/MICRO
USB-A/USB/C
DONGLES
AUDIO

What a mess. It will take a while, but I applaud the move to USB-C as a standard.

Back