Ipad gps satellite connection

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I started flying an airplane that does not allow connection from the navigator (750s) so my iPad does not display location on the (FF) moving map.
Is there a remote GPS receiver I could plop onto the glareshield (preferably without cables) to give the iPad gps info?

(years ago this iPad could see satellites itself, no external devices at all, not sure what’s changed)

iPad with cell service capability (the Sim card installed but you never need to pay and turn on the service) included the GPS. There are wireless options, ranging in price from $140 on up. Low end is a Raspberry Pi 3B with 2 SDRs, a battery and the free Stratux software. For the other options, depends entirely what software you have on the iPad, search for “portable gps aviation”. High end, of course, is Garmin, but there are others.

Yes, get a Sentry.
Only ipads which are capable of data (not just wifi) will have an internal GPS.
You don't have to have a SIM in it for it to work though.
I'm not an apple fan but got a mini for my flying job in AK. My normal phone with Verizon is completely worthless up there, so I got the iPad with the local phone provider GCI.
A month later I configured my phone as a dual SIM device.
My Sentry usually lasts all day but if it stopped working my iPad can still provide my position in foreflight (just no weather or AHRS)

You needed a cellular iPad

I’d just take the money you would have spend on gizmos on your dash and upgrade the iPad, less junk to carry into the plane and run out of batteries

Get a stratux and have GPS plus ADSB in and primitive AHRS

Do you have an iPhone? It has GPS and I believe if you connect the ipad to iPhone it will get GPS data (I’m not sure if this works when iPhone cannot get cell signal).

Do you have an iPhone? It has GPS and I believe if you connect the ipad to iPhone it will get GPS data (I’m not sure if this works when iPhone cannot get cell signal).

I do, and they are tethered.
The cellphone is failing to receive gps while airborne now as well!

I use a Bad Elf. It isn't too expensive, sits on the glare shield, connects to the iPad via BlueTooth. When it isn't connected to my iPad, I also use it for geotagging pictures.
https://bad-elf.com/

I should know but I'd have to look through the paperwork as it's displayed on the 750 only.
The reason I ask is because many devices that can feed the 750 FIS-B weather can also Bluetooth GPS position to an iPad.

If your ipad is wifi only, it will show your position on the ground when you log onto a wifi network.
There are several good options listed above. A bad elf waas gps module works well, and a Sentry or Stratus offer you ads-b in including wx, traffic and ahrs.

Or: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/153681

Forget the 110 version...just the 210. Also, look at Flightstream 510.

I do not own a 750...maybe this is an option you can use. Good luck

I think I have a Dual brand GPS receiver that will connect by BT to compatible devices that isn’t needed anymore.

charge it, turn on, make sure it’s where it can see sky, and connect via BT.

$60 including shipping. But let me put Hands on it and confirm it still functions properly and connects to tablet apps like FF.

I used a low-end Dual for a LONG time - inexpensive, rock solid. They have a GPS only version near/around $100. Charge lasts forever. Worked fine with FF on my iPad. It's quite small, can be tossed up on the glareshield. . .

I've since moved to a Sentry for traffic, weather - both services are sketchy to my mind - useful but not reliable. But the Sentry GPS-to-FF connection works fine. I kinda like the AHRS feature, too.

I think I have a Dual brand GPS receiver that will connect by BT to compatible devices that isn’t needed anymore.
charge it, turn on, make sure it’s where it can see sky, and connect via BT.
$60 including shipping. But let me put Hands on it and confirm it still functions properly and connects to tablet apps like FF.

Worked great on the first 2 flights, Mike - thank you

Sounds like you have a solution for your GPS needs. But I'm still curious - as in Asicer's post, you have traffic and GPS on your GTN 750. It must be getting that from the transponder. Why not just connect your I Pad / F Flight to the transponder? You'll get not only GPS but traffic and weather on the I Pad / F Flight.

Yes, get a Sentry.
Only ipads which are capable of data (not just wifi) will have an internal GPS.
You don't have to have a SIM in it for it to work though.
I'm not an apple fan but got a mini for my flying job in AK. My normal phone with Verizon is completely worthless up there, so I got the iPad with the local phone provider GCI.
A month later I configured my phone as a dual SIM device.
My Sentry usually lasts all day but if it stopped working my iPad can still provide my position in foreflight (just no weather or AHRS)
:yeahthat:I believe Sentry is the best value for the money. Works great with my ipad and goes all day on a single charge.

Reactions: WDD
Back