iOS 9

Good to know. I have been trying to order an iPad Mini 4 through Verizon for over a week now to upgrade my original mini and they haven't been able to get me pricing. They do say I am eligible for an upgrade.

I was in my favorite Verizon store about a week ago and every 4G iPad in the store was $200 off. I don't know the details because I don't need another iPad.

Huh, mine is working fine, for what that's worth.

It only happens to some people for some reason. On the apple website, there are at least 100 other people complaining of the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumb: Low power mode doesn't revert to normal power when you plug the phone into a charger. Only once the battery goes back above 20% battery.

If it hasn't been mentioned...

Hilton Software, maker of WingXPro7, has warned users not to upgrade for now.

As a WingXPro7 user, I'm waiting. I usually wait a couple weeks or more anyway, so no big deal.

Karen's iPhone 5s had the update pushed to it automatically. So far, some small interface changes but no real problems yet.

I'm curious why so many people want to update to the new IOS on day 1 of a new release. I'm running on an iPad Mini running 8.1.3 and an iPhone 5 running on 7.1.2. Maybe I'm just slow. ;)

I'm curious why so many people want to update to the new IOS on day 1 of a new release. I'm running on an iPad Mini running 8.1.3 and an iPhone 5 running on 7.1.2. Maybe I'm just slow. ;)

They pushed the notice it was available awhile ago, but I opted to not upgrade right away. But as I read more and more about the improvements (speed, battery life, etc.) I decided to give it a try. So far, so good. I'm liking it.

I was in my favorite Verizon store about a week ago and every 4G iPad in the store was $200 off. I don't know the details because I don't need another iPad.

I am trying to order through my business account, so not through the store. Still, you'd think they would be ready...

Hell, I'm still running 8.2 on my air. It works just fine and unless a newer version comes complete with some really cool new features that I find I can't live without (and the split screen ain't it)...I don't think I'll change anytime soon.

If iOS9 is especially buggy, that's kinda sad.

IOS9 was supposed to be light on new features, and designed mainly to clean up issues with iOS8.

Main new feature I'm looking forward to is using two fingers on the keyboard to move the cursor. The lack of cursor keys on the iPad* combined with the little magnify glass to move the insertion point has always seemed clunky to me.

Also retaining auto-suggestions with a third-party keyboard will be nice.

*Odd that the iPhone keyboard in iOS8 has cursor keys, where the larger iPad keyboard does not. Never heard an explanation for that.

IOS9 was supposed to be light on new features, and designed mainly to clean up issues with iOS8.

Main new feature I'm looking forward to is using two fingers on the keyboard to move the cursor. The lack of cursor keys on the iPad* combined with the little magnify glass to move the insertion point has always seemed clunky to me.

Also retaining auto-suggestions with a third-party keyboard will be nice.

*Odd that the iPhone keyboard in iOS8 has cursor keys, where the larger iPad keyboard does not. Never heard an explanation for that.

The two-finger cursor is a real improvement. I like it!

Haven't found it to be particularly buggy. Not even slightly interesting at all, but not buggy.

It's funny how it's the little things. I like the two-finger movement and selection (just used it in this post) but my favorite is that the keyboard now moved between caps and lower case.

I didn't know about the two finger movement until Mark mentioned it. Then I had to fool around with my two fingers to see how it worked. I think I am going to like it.

I didn't know about the two finger movement until Mark mentioned it. Then I had to fool around with my two fingers to see how it worked. I think I am going to like it.

You might want to reword that a bit. :redface:

Jxuccjxjcicihhhxjcjxjckczjicixyiwuduxuxw dciixerogftkc in my head hurts so much for everything and we have a great way to get the chance with a new phone is find jiffy

I don't get the two finger on the keyboard thing... All that happened is words popped up in the suggestion bar and that's what typed the above. I don't see any cursor?
Returned to edit mode and still no cursor with 2 fingers on keyboard

Last edited:
I think it might have something to do with the age of your device. It works on my mini 2 but not on my iPhone 5.

What? Like android always has? :rofl:

(I honestly never realized that iThingies didn't)

OhBrotherSmiley.png

I think it might have something to do with the age of your device. It works on my mini 2 but not on my iPhone 5.

Re: 2 finger tap - Ditto on "no worky" in iPhone 5 here. Checking iPad mini shortly.

Edit: my ipad mini is 1st gen, and no joy there, either.

Last edited:
Personally I think they would be better off just allowing folks to go back to iOS 7. It did everything I needed and didn't suck my system resources like al the other "upgrades".

Bloatware? You must really miss your Commodore 64 and brick phone, eh?

The market demands devices that do more and do it faster. For example with the new iOS in my phone I pull out of my driveway and the phone tells me how many minutes it'll take me to get to work and what to expect. I don't prompt it. Pretty freakin cool. I like it.

The market demands devices that do more and do it faster. For example with the new iOS in my phone I pull out of my driveway and the phone tells me how many minutes it'll take me to get to work and what to expect. I don't prompt it. Pretty freakin cool. I like it.
Agree. The problem is that the hardware needs to keep up with the software.

I flew airplanes which had first-generation GPSs installed. Eventually the units couldn't keep up with the number of waypoints because of their lack of memory, so they dropped the "non-essential" ones. That made it interesting when ATC would clear us direct to a waypoint which was not in the database.

Funny you say that. I found an etrex Summit in my hunting gear. The software is 12 years old according to the startup page. That little GPS is so outdated the only thing that made sense was to pitch it in the trash. So it goes with my GPS 90, my first aviation handheld. It's laughable what a dinosaur it's become in the 15 or so years since they were the rage. That's how I view my iPhone 4 and my original iPad. Cell carriers are adapting to make equipment upgrades easier. The market evolves. Apparently some internet commenters don't!

Bloatware? You must really miss your Commodore 64 and brick phone, eh?

Nope, still happy with light signals, abacus and tin can and string.

If it works why worry. :lol: If it doesn't work or meet my needs I get a new whatever the replacement is for that job.

Cheers

Last edited:

That's funny ... Siri just tells me "I'm sorry. It's REALLY going to suck to be you today."

Funny you say that. I found an etrex Summit in my hunting gear. The software is 12 years old according to the startup page. That little GPS is so outdated the only thing that made sense was to pitch it in the trash. So it goes with my GPS 90, my first aviation handheld. It's laughable what a dinosaur it's become in the 15 or so years since they were the rage. That's how I view my iPhone 4 and my original iPad. Cell carriers are adapting to make equipment upgrades easier. The market evolves. Apparently some internet commenters don't!

I've got a GPS 90 sitting on the shelf, too. I suppose we could see if there's a museum around? :)

I've got a GPS 90 sitting on the shelf, too. I suppose we could see if there's a museum around? :)

I used my garmin 92 as a back up to charts twice this summer. TX to OH and Colorado to OH, worked just fine!

I used my garmin 92 as a back up to charts twice this summer. TX to OH and Colorado to OH, worked just fine!

last time I tried to update the GPS90 database (many years ago) the default garmin database was too large to load. I took apart the load file and trimmed out West and East coasts and after numerous trim and try sessions, managed to load the mid-west part of the US.

I guess for backup to the backup (iphone & foreflight) to the backup (ipad & foreflight) backing up the G430W onboard, it might work.

Back