iOS 9

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
iOS 9 will be dropping soon. One of the features that has my curiosity is split screen for the iPads.

I know our beloved EFB apps have some form of this (especially WingX). But now that it's native to the OS, I wonder what other ways we pilots will see it being used.

[News Story] iOS Release Date and Features

Worth pointing out...

"Split-screen can only be used on iPad Air 2."

From the linked article.

As an aside, Sep 9 is rumored to be the next Apple Event.

Wait, what? They still haven't fixed all the major bugs introduced in 8.0 and they are already releasing more bugs ... errrr ... features?
This will go over well with the end users. :rolleyes2:
:popcorn:

And they are rearranging their stores for more products. I was in an Apple store yesterday to have my iPhone 4s battery replaced. NEVER NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN! I felt like a number. No specific person or place to check in for the appointment let alone to pickup my phone from repair. I HATE IT! NO MORE!

oops, accidental rant /off

David

And they are rearranging their stores for more products. I was in an Apple store yesterday to have my iPhone 4s battery replaced. NEVER NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN! I felt like a number. No specific person or place to check in for the appointment let alone to pickup my phone from repair. I HATE IT! NO MORE!

oops, accidental rant /off

David

If you have a Genius appointment, I believe that you can check in with any store employee. From there, you can wander around the store and the Genius will find you when it's your turn. At least that was the procedure the last time I was at an Apple Store. I didn't particularly care for that procedure, as I thought it was a bit unclear and disorganized, but it seemed to work.

JKG

Wait, what? They still haven't fixed all the major bugs introduced in 8.0 and they are already releasing more bugs ... errrr ... features?

What major bugs haven't been fixed?

I believe that iOS 9 is intended to focus on stability and performance, so hopefully that will be the case.

JKG

Will it brick a 2012-vintage iPad2 that runs great on iOS 7? Right now, that's all I care about. Anything else is gravy.

iOS8 pretty much bricked my 2012 iPad2 so I am sure iOS9 will. *it still works on iOS8, but it's slow as a dog.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iOS 9 will be dropping soon. One of the features that has my curiosity is split screen for the iPads.

I know our beloved EFB apps have some form of this (especially WingX). But now that it's native to the OS, I wonder what other ways we pilots will see it being used.

Well I am glad that they are dropping it rather than releasing it. We certainly don't need another iOS upgrade.

Mike, if you post this same question on the DFW Pilots board, Robert D will most likely be able to answer some of your questions. He's been using the beta version (as a tester) of iOS9 for several months. I've talked to him a couple of times about it, it seems pretty cool.

If you have a Genius appointment, I believe that you can check in with any store employee. From there, you can wander around the store and the Genius will find you when it's your turn. At least that was the procedure the last time I was at an Apple Store. I didn't particularly care for that procedure, as I thought it was a bit unclear and disorganized, but it seemed to work.

JKG

Last time I was there they parked me at the Genius bar. Now there is no actual genius bar in the back of the store any more. they parked me at a table and the guy came to me. But not for the pickup part. The lady sent to stand by the rainbow colored ipad case display. Pretty obscure location.

The store was so crowded even on Tuesday, I felt like I was out of place.

David

Last time I was there they parked me at the Genius bar. Now there is no actual genius bar in the back of the store any more. they parked me at a table and the guy came to me. But not for the pickup part. The lady sent to stand by the rainbow colored ipad case display. Pretty obscure location.

The store was so crowded even on Tuesday, I felt like I was out of place.

David
You obviously weren't hip enough!

I am definitely NOT hip. I hate that place.

You obviously weren't hip enough!

I am definitely NOT hip. I hate that place.
When I went to pick up my iMac after they had replaced the hard drive I asked for help carrying it out. The guy who came to help asked if I was a pilot? Huh? Oh, I was wearing a Textron/Cessna/Beechcraft/Hawker jacket. Turns out he was retired from United and older than I am. I wanted to ask how he got a job working at the Apple Store. The guy who helped me when I took it in was young, had a mowhawk and tattoos. More like I was expecting. I will say that I was happy with the repair process even though I had to make a Genius appointment a fews days out instead of the same day.

When I went to pick up my iMac after they had replaced the hard drive I asked for help carrying it out. The guy who came to help asked if I was a pilot? Huh? Oh, I was wearing a Textron/Cessna/Beechcraft/Hawker jacket. Turns out he was retired from United and older than I am. I wanted to ask how he got a job working at the Apple Store. The guy who helped me when I took it in was young, had a mowhawk and tattoos. More like I was expecting. I will say that I was happy with the repair process even though I had to make a Genius appointment a fews days out instead of the same day.

The last time I was in an Apple Store the guy helping me was a retired O'Hare controller. Nice guy, fun conversation.

If you can find a software company that isn't doing this nowadays, let me know. It's pretty much par for the course for the entire consumer side of the IT industry and getting there for the commercial side.

The Internet has created a world where "continuous deployment" is a real thing and Development Managers want to do it. Find a bug, assign someone to fix it, it's done twenty minutes later, it passes some automated tests that are constantly revamped to test what broke yesterday, not today, and it's pushed to the servers immediate or to the download severs in the case of updating apps or devices.

I'm amazed Apple even has announced release dates anymore. The device manufacturers are the only places really left doing this.

The result isn't good. But there's no money / incentive system tied to the developer's wallet if they botch the update and need to do another one. They just do the other one a couple hours later.

We're all never-ending beta quality software testers now, paying software rental fees to do it.

I remember when the Genius thing used to bother me. Once you figure out you need that appointment and they're required to service a certain number of people per hour, and it's all part of an assembly line system, you just go in early and look for whoever is going to be working your problem and ask them if it'd help if you set up camp somewhere.

They usually point and grunt and you park it there and get the iThingy ready to show them the problem.

Speeding up their time with you will make them your best friend and I've gotten all sorts of goodies and good will out of that. Free stuff, replaced stuff when I wasn't there for that, etc. knowing how their system works and how much pressure they're under to meet a quota really gives you a leg up. One guy was like, "Thanks for having that ready to show me and how to reproduce it. Hey by the way, see this hairline crack bear your charging port? (I'd never even noticed it.) That looks like a factory defect to me. (I'd dropped that phone a hundred times.) If you don't mind restoring from your backup at home, (always show up saying you have a full backup of anything they're going to muck with - and you're fine reloading it yourself from backup - that's their number one waste of time) I'll just grab you a new (refurbished, but who cares) phone from the back and activate it for you." (Fine by me! Thanks!)

As data points, iOS8 has been working very reliably on our 4 iDevices.

Only recurring glitch is sometimes wonky text selection and auto-correct in Safari.

And our experiences with Apple Stores has been uniformly positive - mainly the ones in Knoxville and the Mall of Georgia.

Maybe we're just lucky, but our experiences with the local AT&T store have also been positive.

I am running the current iOS 9 Beta on my iPhone and I like many of the new features. There are a few of my non-essential apps that don't (yet) run properly under iOS 9 but I'm confident that they will before (or immediately after) it is actually released. I don't have an iPad so I can't comment on the split-screen feature.

No.

iPad Air 2, iPad Mini, iPhone 5s and iPhone 6+.

My first generation iPad is running just fine on the very old iOS. Works fine for web mail and web browsing.

I did upgrade to the Air2 for my flying.

I am not an Apple fan boy or a Windows idiot. But I second whoever said that we are just beta testing products. I HAD a perfectly functional Ipad 2(admittedly 2.5 years old), was "forced" to upgrade to update Foreflight so it could talk to my new Stratus 2S. Needless to say after the Ios upgrade, ipad runs slower, crashes more and does more weird things. I have no idea what the extra supposed functionality is. My guess is 98% of the people just use their pads to read the internet and watch videos, they don't need more. I guess I will be off to buy a new Ipad. Just wasteful as far as I am concerned. Planned obsolesce is a fraud on the consumers.

Calling it planned obsolescence gives the coders way too much credit. It's more like bloatware can't control itself and the hardware has to keep up.

Also consider the costs of testing on all the versions of hardware forever. Every iPhone, iPad and iPod touch model. There's a bunch. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm a firm believer in matched sets of software and hardware. Which only works for a while on the iStuff, but with computers you can generally get away with it. Buy a machine with Windows 7? Keep it at Windows 7. It'll work better. At least until MS drops support and it's too big a security hole...

John

Also consider the costs of testing on all the versions of hardware forever. Every iPhone, iPad and iPod touch model. There's a bunch. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm a firm believer in matched sets of software and hardware. Which only works for a while on the iStuff, but with computers you can generally get away with it. Buy a machine with Windows 7? Keep it at Windows 7. It'll work better. At least until MS drops support and it's too big a security hole...

John

I agree. I currently have an iphone 5 and an ipad mini. I only update when I am forced to do so. These will be my last idevices.

Chip speeds improve and OS capability follows. To stuff the newest OS into an old device isn't the best plan. If you want the fastest you need to have the hardware to run it. It's the consumer's choice. I like my newest IDevices. I don't travel with my laptop much these days. I can access my computers from my iPad and do what I need to remotely. I like it.

I am not an Apple fan boy or a Windows idiot. But I second whoever said that we are just beta testing products. I HAD a perfectly functional Ipad 2(admittedly 2.5 years old), was "forced" to upgrade to update Foreflight so it could talk to my new Stratus 2S. Needless to say after the Ios upgrade, ipad runs slower, crashes more and does more weird things. I have no idea what the extra supposed functionality is. My guess is 98% of the people just use their pads to read the internet and watch videos, they don't need more. I guess I will be off to buy a new Ipad. Just wasteful as far as I am concerned. Planned obsolesce is a fraud on the consumers.

Same here. I had an iPad 2 nearly bricked on iOS8. I tried all the fixes and got it running a litttle better but the lag was terrible and it was unusable with Foreflight. So - I went out and bought an iPad air 2. ("Thank you sir, may I have another. . . "). I wiped the old iPad and set it up as a new device. It just has the stock apps. My wife uses it for email and web browsing. It is "ok" for that purpose, but I suspect if I reload everything I had on it, it would slow down again.
I agree - I just do not see any real improvements with the upgrades.

I bought a brand new iPad Mini 4 at the Apple Store yesterday. iOS 9 was factory installed, since it was still in a sealed box when I took it home.

On initial setup I set it to restore my data from iCloud, whereupon it froze, repeatedly. Even hard restarts couldn't get it out of the loop. I spent two hours in chat with Apple Support last night to get it restored to factory defaults. Now it works and I'm loading it, but without using iCloud Restore.

The Apple chat person was extremely helpful, but said this is a known issue that engineering is working on.

So beware iCloud Restore with iOS 9 ...

I just upgraded both my iPad and iPad Air. So far, so good. It does seem a bit snappier. Time will tell. While my original Air can't do the multi-tasking, the second app preview feature will be handy.

I upgraded a mini 2 and and an iPhone 5 to iOS 9 but I haven't had time to experiment much. The keyboard is different in that it switches between lower case and caps so it's easier to tell which you are using.

I bought a brand new iPad Mini 4 at the Apple Store yesterday. iOS 9 was factory installed, since it was still in a sealed box when I took it home.

On initial setup I set it to restore my data from iCloud, whereupon it froze, repeatedly. Even hard restarts couldn't get it out of the loop. I spent two hours in chat with Apple Support last night to get it restored to factory defaults. Now it works and I'm loading it, but without using iCloud Restore.

The Apple chat person was extremely helpful, but said this is a known issue that engineering is working on.

Good to know. I have been trying to order an iPad Mini 4 through Verizon for over a week now to upgrade my original mini and they haven't been able to get me pricing. They do say I am eligible for an upgrade.

A solution in search of a problem.

A solution in search of a problem.

Well, they solved MY problem of needing to look at emails with student training requests while at the same time being able to use my calendar for scheduling the the lesson. For that I'm grateful!

Well, they solved MY problem of needing to look at emails with student training requests while at the same time being able to use my calendar for scheduling the the lesson. For that I'm grateful!

I want that problem! I do not have enough students for it to be a problem. :(

David

I have to wonder if that is an issue with using iTunes to do a restore. Not good to have known bugs on release days but it is the norm now.

David

I'm running 9 on iPad and iPhone. Flawless. But 8.4 was flawless for me, too.

Totally killed access to my "podcasts" app. Apparently I am not the only one. Other than that, seems OK.

Totally killed access to my "podcasts" app. Apparently I am not the only one. Other than that, seems OK.

Huh, mine is working fine, for what that's worth.

Back