International airline flights as pax; planning

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am looking at a 4-leg trip; Texas to Europe.
First leg gets me to the place where the transatlantic leg starts ie ORD/IAH/EWR etc

I am planning:
a) to do this part (first two legs) with one airline as I suspect they'd be more likely to help me if there was a missed connection. (T or F, shout it out - I am an inexperienced traveler, value your experience)
b) to buy tickets direct from airline rather than from a third party ie expedia/kayak etc as I am often reading that airlines are more considerate of pax problems when they do so (same; is this T or F?)

Third Q:
For the part of the trip described, I am seeing a 70min layover.
Makes me ponder the time needed for that connection. It's going to be at a big hub of course.
Will that be enough time?
I presume there will be immigration and customs prescreening, if so, will this at the beginning of the first flight? Or at the beginning of the trans-A part?
Ie back to the 70min layover; that hardly seems like time enough for finding the new gate and screening to take place.

Thanks

Buy tix from the airline direct, no brainer. Having
Flown back & forth to Europe more than a few times,
I suggest you stage the trip as such
1. TX to East Coast
2. Spend night, east Coast to Europe. I hate sleeping on a plane, but if you want to do it, get the lay flat seats and plan 3 hrs min between legs here.
3. Europe to East Coast, spend night
4. East Coast to TX.

Use one airline, check bags all the way thru and have a carryon to get you thru two days.

a) T
b) T

70 minutes is fine if your first flight is on time. If it's 30 minutes late, you'll be hustling through the airport. If it's later than that, you'll be running, and there's a good chance your bags won't make it, even if you do. There's a minimum time for layover where the airline is on the hook if you miss your connection. I'm not sure what it is for international flights, but looks it up and make sure your layover is longer than that.

I've never had any kind of international prescreening when flying a US carrier internationally, but I haven't been to all that many international destinations. When you check in for the flights, they'll want to see your passport. That's about it in my experience.

Today you’re not going to come back to the US through ORD and get out of passport and customs in less than 1-1.5 hours. That’s based on July’s experience. Outbound, there is no customs or passport, so no delay.

Yes, keep your airlines the same for best chance of courtesy rebooking if you miss a connection.

Yes, you’ll get better treatment when all goes FUBAR if you buy direct, but you’ll pay more.

Planning a similar trip but from Alberta Canada so about as far west as you are in Texas I guess. I booked direct with the airline, Calgary to Europe non-stop. Same thing on the return trip, Europe to Calgary non-stop. I've done U.S./Canada to Europe and back ten times and my rule of thumb is, layovers with no customs clearance minimum 90 minutes and with customs clearance 120 minutes. When I lived in Texas, I usually did DFW to Europe direct but that was more than 10 years ago... Not sure if direct flights are still as easily available these days with COVID and pilot shortage.

I travel internationally for work. Million miler on two airlines (almost 2 million on one of those).

Book and buy the entire ticket through one airline. That way you stay within their alliance, so more seamless. And I agree to buy directly from the airline, then you are their customer, not the third party vendor.

If you change alliances, you connection will take longer, maybe MUCH longer. Example, most connections between Sky Team members in Paris CDG are in the Terminal 2F complex. If you switch alliances, you have to transfer to Terminal 1, by bus, and clear security again.

There is no customs/immigration clearance outbound from the US. They scan you passport at check in and that is it.

I HIGHLY recommend getting Global Entry. It really streamlines the return to the US. $100 for 5 years (and many credit cards will pay for it). And it includes Pre-Check to quickly through security in the US. And Pre-Check alone is $85 for 5 years, so GE is only $15 more.

Everything @Pinecone said, plus, why 4 legs? Where is your final destination in Europe? I'd favor an airline that goes direct from the US to your destination city in Europe. Heathrow, Schiphol (Amsterdam) are a S***show these days. Lufthansa had a strike the other day. Given the airports you mentioned, looks like United, who is a partner with Lufthansa, so guessing you have Frankfurt as first stop in Europe? Delta through Atlanta goes to a lot of European cities direct so you can avoid the EU hubs. Not sure of United's options? Lastly, the trains in Western Europe are pretty good, if you can get fairly close, a train can be a good option.

I am looking at a 4-leg trip; Texas to Europe.
First leg gets me to the place where the transatlantic leg starts ie ORD/IAH/EWR etc

I am planning:
a) to do this part (first two legs) with one airline as I suspect they'd be more likely to help me if there was a missed connection. (T or F, shout it out - I am an inexperienced traveler, value your experience) T based on your connections it looks like a United trip. Also look in to AA from DFW for a connection out of PHL or CLT
b) to buy tickets direct from airline rather than from a third party ie expedia/kayak etc as I am often reading that airlines are more considerate of pax problems when they do so (same; is this T or F?) T

Third Q:
For the part of the trip described, I am seeing a 70min layover. T&F its doable but can be tight. Most international flights are in a separate terminal than domestic so getting from one to another could take time.
Makes me ponder the time needed for that connection. It's going to be at a big hub of course.
Will that be enough time? I’m sure DFW and Houston have direct flights to Europe.
I presume there will be immigration and customs prescreening, if so, will this at the beginning of the first flight? Or at the beginning of the trans-A part?
Ie back to the 70min layover; that hardly seems like time enough for finding the new gate and screening to take place. Depends on the airline and airport.

Thanks

Have Fun on your trip.

Everything @Pinecone said, plus, why 4 legs?.

Can’t speak for the OP, but there’s only three airports in Texas with non stops to Europe, and if you want to go anywhere other than London or Amsterdam, you’re down to two airports. If you want nonstop to FRA, you’re only going out of one.

All the nonstop flights are 9+ hours long, too.

I HIGHLY recommend getting Global Entry. It really streamlines the return to the US. $100 for 5 years (and many credit cards will pay for it). And it includes Pre-Check to quickly through security in the US. And Pre-Check alone is $85 for 5 years, so GE is only $15 more.

+1. Global entry rocks!

I HIGHLY recommend getting Global Entry. It really streamlines the return to the US.

I agree with global entry, although if you check luggage, you'll get streamlined through customs and then stand and wait for your luggage to arrive, which will usually be well after the last person on the flight is through Customs. But if you only have carry on, it's a dream.

Unfortunately for me, there is a person of interest with my same name, so I always get flagged for an additional conversation. I learned the other person has tattoos on his arms so I roll up my sleeves before the conversation and watch the customs agent glance at my arms, then clear me.

Can’t speak for the OP, but there’s only three airports in Texas with non stops to Europe, and if you want to go anywhere other than London or Amsterdam, you’re down to two airports. If you want nonstop to FRA, you’re only going out of one.

All the nonstop flights are 9+ hours long, too.
I meant do the connection in the US to go direct destination in Europe vs connecting in Europe. Atlanta, JFK, O'Hare can get direct to some decent smaller European cities.

there’s only three airports in Texas with non stops to Europe, and if you want to go anywhere other than London or Amsterdam, you’re down to two airports.

Hey this is what I am looking for right now.
Where do you find such info?

I can get anywhere in Europe from IAH or DFW…I would rather make the connection in AMS, FRA, or LHR…that being said I do use EWR as well from Houston and no issue getting there same day as most flights leave late…

DFW to FRA is pretty hassle free and from there you can catch a connection to pretty much anywhere in Europe. When I lived in Texas, that was my go-to route with American Airlines when going to Europe. If you're up for more adventure, you could also fly into FRA and then rent a Grumman Cheetah and fly yourself to anywhere in Europe. There is a place that rents out N-registered airplanes to tourists with an FAA PPL ticket. Definitely more expen$ive than commercial but sounds like a lot of fun.

Read about the luggage, security and other issues in AMS and LHR over the last month (not sure about FRA, but there was a labor action there last week). I would not go to either of those until it settles down, unless I only had carry-on luggage and even then, I would be looking for a >2hr connection. @Let'sgoflying! , where is your final destination?

Read about the luggage, security and other issues in AMS and LHR over the last month (not sure about FRA, but there was a labor action there last week). I would not go to either of those until it settles down, unless I only had carry-on luggage and even then, I would be looking for a >2hr connection. @Let'sgoflying! , where is your final destination?

I just flew into and out of Heathrow a little over a week ago from JFK on a family vacation. Flights were on time and no issue at all with luggage. The line to get through security at LHR were extremely long but it just kept moving and took less than 40 minutes on a busy Sunday morning. The news likes to sensationalize issues at airports. It wasn’t nearly as bad as they want you to believe it is.

KLM also flies out of Austin to AMS as well and lately the cheapest way to go…just looked and got a $891 fare RT to Stavanger in October…worth a look and reasonable connection times…

A) T
B) F. The airlines don't care how you buy the ticket. I use the business version of Expedia and have flown dozens of times without problem.

Most US flights to Europe leave around dinnertime and land the next morning. You won't sleep well, so you'll be pretty tired the next day.

Most return flights leave Europe first thing in the morning, and land in early afternoon because of the time zone change. Plenty of time to get your destination in the US without an overnight stop.

I agree with global entry, although if you check luggage, you'll get streamlined through customs and then stand and wait for your luggage to arrive, which will usually be well after the last person on the flight is through Customs. But if you only have carry on, it's a dream.

Unfortunately for me, there is a person of interest with my same name, so I always get flagged for an additional conversation. I learned the other person has tattoos on his arms so I roll up my sleeves before the conversation and watch the customs agent glance at my arms, then clear me.

Get a UPID, I think that is it. It is a code that you are not the other person

I use Kayak to find flights, but book directly with the airlines, typically at the same price.

A) T
B) F. The airlines don't care how you buy the ticket. I use the business version of Expedia and have flown dozens of times without problem.

Actually they do. And you will be fine, until you aren't. A flight gets cancelled and you find you are rebooked 5 days later versus the next day. I had a a flight canceled out of FL due to weather in DC area. Rebooked for later that same day. That also got canceled. Got booked on early morning the next day. While waiting for shuttle to hotel, got to talking to a family. They were on the same canceled flight. They were rebooked for 3 days later.

I also recommend that before you travel, join the airline (or a partner) frequent flyer program. Even as a basic member, you are a step above those who are not members.

FRA can be a pain at the moment. Lots of delays and lost bags. The industrial action by Lufthansa ground staff was slightly more than 24 hours. Next up might be the pilots, but they are just starting negotiations.
KLM via AMS should work to Stavanger.
Might also look into SAS from EWR to OSL direct. You should be able to book within the alliance via United.

I haven't traveled overseas in a few years but I'm going in two months, flying into CDG. Anyone of you who recently flew to Paris, what's it like at that airport? Also a sh**show or a bit better when it comes to lost luggage and efficiency in general?

I haven't traveled overseas in a few years but I'm going in two months, flying into CDG. Anyone of you who recently flew to Paris, what's it like at that airport? Also a sh**show or a bit better when it comes to lost luggage and efficiency in general?
All of Europe is kind of a mess now. I wouldn’t make a connection or try to check a bag. Show up 4-5 hours before your flight.

edit. I read your post too fast and didn’t see that you’re traveling in a few months. Once the fall hits and the kids are back to school it should be somewhat back to normal

Last edited:

In two months it should be better, so you will probably be OK.

All of Europe is kind of a mess now. I wouldn’t make a connection or try to check a bag. Show up 4-5 hours before your flight.

edit. I read your post too fast and didn’t see that you’re traveling in a few months. Once the fall hits and the kids are back to school it should be somewhat back to normal

Not just Europe. Japan has been having big issues with luggage as well this summer.

As a hopefully soon to be retired person. I have discovered that a transatlantic trip on the Queen Mary 2 with an inside state room is about the same or less than an airline ticket. Another $300 for a room with a view. Free food too.
The next time I go to Europe, this is how I’m gonna do it. I need to call and see if I can bring my motorcycle with me.

I went thru CDG 2 weeks ago and it was crowded but fine. One of my friends missed a connection there, but it was because her flight from the US was late departing. I would definitely lean towards 3-4 hours in between connections, just in case. I never check bags so can't speak to that.

Might also look into SAS from EWR to OSL direct.
SAS filed for bankruptcy recently.

Euro airports are jammed. LHR and AMS are limiting inbound flights. FRA was a zoo but passable, HEL was pretty quiet.

if you don’t mind the $50 booking fee, a true blue travel agent is better than booking with an airline. “Hey, my flight is delayed, can you protect me on the next departure in an hour?” Is way better than the airline rebooking algorithm. If you get caught in a cancel, they can get way more creative than the airline, mixing metal, changing layovers, etc….because they know the airline will have to make it good.

As a hopefully soon to be retired person. I have discovered that a transatlantic trip on the Queen Mary 2 with an inside state room is about the same or less than an airline ticket. Another $300 for a room with a view. Free food too.
The next time I go to Europe, this is how I’m gonna do it. I need to call and see if I can bring my motorcycle with me.
Wife and I non rev to England for free, and pay taxes out of England to return, and it’s now close to $400.00 bucks to get back…late November and early December QM2 interline rates run around $600-700 from South Hampton to NYC…The Queen Mary 2 is amazing even with decks closed for weather…nothing like it! All I can say is we are trying to arrange things for this November for a crossing. A true Ocean Liner and two years ago with 70kts over the deck and 20 ft seas the Captain apologized for closing the decks…meanwhile with a slight speed reduction and course change you would never know we were in weather…looking forward to our fourth crossing on QM2

SAS filed for bankruptcy recently.

Chapter 11, yes. That will take some time, so in the meantime they are flying like before. If they don't go on strike again ‍♂️

Back