Intermittent Nav Light - simple question

Chilito

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chilito
I recently installed LED nav lights. The right side has been intermittent lately. Bright, then dim, then barely seen. Only returns to full brightness when I remove and put back in with a little force. Possible bad ground/contacts needs cleaning? Silly question, but what is a good way to do this? A certain product to use that is safe for conductivity? It was an issue on the previous Grimes light, too. Thanks.

I use ACF-50 on bulb contact points with some maroon scotchguard. If your Cessna is like my Warrior, you will have a ground strap going from the bulb to the the wing. Mine has failed four times. Repair requires removal of the wing tip and and a new strap or a short strip of wire. A volt/ohm meter can tell you if the problem is on the power side or the ground.

It was an issue on the previous Grimes light, too.
Not enough info. Are you saying that you replaced incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs in the original nav light receptacle?

Thanks for the replies -- polished the contacts, found some bulb grease, (currently) shining brightly again.

Reactions: smv
Back