Interesting Training Observation

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
So I'm doing my initial operating experience trips in the CRJ 700/900. At the end of my second trip my landings started getting worse. At the same time I noticed that I started to call for ERJ 145 items. As an example on the last day I called for "Flaps 22" which is "Flaps 20" in the CRJ.

I'm wondering as I get comfortable and able to stay ahead of this plane that my 145 experience is leaking back into my flying. Which is opposite to what I was expecting.

Primacy is real! hahaha. Seriously though. Interesting that it happens even later on.

It's called "proactive interference."

It's called "proactive interference."

Interesting.

Yeah my last day of the trip had the worse landings. My second to last I didn't even flare it and chopped the power. Well 70,000lbs of plane doesn't like a no flare landing... :eek:

The check airman said it looked like I was trying to land my old plane.

So more repetition to break the interference ?

Interesting.

Yeah my last day of the trip had the worse landings. My second to last I didn't even flare it and chopped the power. Well 70,000lbs of plane doesn't like a no flare landing... :eek:

Don't know what to tell you, but I couldn't land my own damn airplane during my SE Commercial add on. You know it's bad when both you and the DPE have switched from that feeling of dread that the checkride is a bust, to laughing out loud at how bad it is.

I did have the opportunity to go out and do laps for days to straighten it all out, focusing on every little freaking detail so much that when it came time to re-ride and all I had to do was a few landings, I still started to shove the power up and do another one after I nailed all three.

I'm guessing you don't have that luxury with the jet, so you'll just have to beat it out of yourself quicker. Ha. Focus like hell on the speeds and it'll be 90% of the way back to normal, I bet. But that's a total guess on my part just from what fixed my hot mess. LOL.

Landing slumps suck. At least your check airman had enough experience to see exactly what you're doing. My poor CFI, the flight before the ride was solid as was the "re-training flight" and he had nothing to work with other than to tell me to flare sooner (not your problem! Ha!) and to keep an eye on the PAPI to normalize up the glidepath.

On speed, on glidepath, proper configuration, it'll get you 90% of the way there, I'm sure. You'll probably feel like you have to "over concentrate" on it for a few landings. That's my guess anyway.

HATE landing slumps. Only have ever had a couple in 20 years. (And really bad timing to start one of them... Hahahaha.)

It took me a little while to get used to the sight picture difference between the 200 and 900. Repetition helped me.

Interesting.

The only times I've found myself reverting back to previous airframes is when I was a) behind the aircraft or somewhat overwhelmed or b) distracted or not focused. It would usually show itself in the landing checklist. I've embarrassed myself more than once by catching myself starting to say "hook is up, harness unlocked" in a/c without a hook. I once started to spit out a landing checklist for the T-2 after not having flown it for 4-5 years. I couldn't have recited it from memory if I wanted to. It's weird how that stuff is still there even though you don't seem to remember it.

Well 70,000lbs of plane doesn't like a no flare landing... :eek:

Having flown nothing that weighted more than 2500lbs, I can imagine you really need to plan what's next in the sequence for a successful flight.

I have a friend who went from flying King Air's to cargo with Boeing 747's. I asked him what the landings were like, he just rolled his eyes and said "my blood pressure goes up..." I'm sure you will nail it with a little work...:)

......................It's weird how that stuff is still there even though you don't seem to remember it.
I've had things happen in my life where some training that I had years, many years, before kicked in. Things that I hadn't used for many years or even thought about in many years. Many times that training was a just once thing. Training to do something, even without repitition is a thousands times more valuable than just reading about it.

It took me a little while to get used to the sight picture difference between the 200 and 900. Repetition helped me.

I get the joy of flying the 200, 700, and 900 all in the same day. Talk about WTF on which plane your in. FAA isn't to happy about it as all three land differently.

That's normal. I'll occasionally make a call from three or four airlines, and twenty plus years, ago.

That's normal. I'll occasionally make a call from three or four airlines, and twenty plus years, ago.

You need to tell BNA to repave thier runways and taxiways. HOLY S***!! 20L is like a washed out dirt road. I think we bounced into the air instead of rotating.

I get the joy of flying the 200, 700, and 900 all in the same day. Talk about WTF on which plane your in. FAA isn't to happy about it as all three land differently.

The 73s are all the same type. The 75 and 76 are the same type. None land exactly the same from anyone I've talked to about them.

It's pretty common across all the fleets.

Rumor is that certain pilot groups and management at certain places have alternately been involved in keeping all the variants of the 73 the same type.

Also has supposedly held back quite a bit of advanced tech that's been available for a while from being used on the 73.

Whether or not it really needs that tech, or if it really matters that the whole fleet is one type, is open to debate, and I'm not posting this to further the debate... but that's the scuttlebutt as to the "why".

Didn't want new airframes to split the pilot groups.

Back