Interesting runway markings

RIlls

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RIlls
I suspect many of you will know where this is. Anyone want to explain the runway markings?

upload_2020-7-27_22-5-17.jpeg

Red Bull? I remember seeing a picture of a runway in England once marked with RB. Casa Grande?

There is a whole chapter on runway markings in the AIM. AOPA (I think) has a video course on runway markings and signs.

There is a whole chapter on runway markings in the AIM. AOPA (I think) has a video course on runway markings and signs.
Although I haven't come across the "RB" before, it does look like Monument Valley (Ronnie Biard owns it). If it is Monument, the AIM section on markings won't help much. For example, 16 stripes indicates a 200' wide runway. Monument is 45 feet wide.

When I just searched for “Monument Valley Airport” in Google Earth, that runway appears to be marked “16”.

Unless it’s a different airport.

Took this when we flew the Sky Arrow to AZ to be part of a CT Fly-in. Pretty sure it’s Monument Valley runway:

50162686792_e38532d4ff_z.jpg

Last edited:
Owner of this airport is a bit of a joker.

carrier.jpg

When I just searched for “Monument Valley Airport” in Google Earth, that runway appears to be marked “16”.

Unless it’s a different airport.

Took this when we flew the Sky Arrow to AZ to be part of a CT Fly-in. Pretty sure it’s Monument Valley runway:

50162686792_e38532d4ff_z.jpg
I noticed that as well. But I also saw photos of the approach to 16 which has exactly the same view as in the OP's photo. Your photo also shows a much newer resurfacing and number/centerline painting that others I've seen. So maybe some interim creaivity?

So, here's a question for @RIlls - so where is it and where did the photo come from. I'm more interested in the RB in place of the runway numbers than anything else.

Monument Valley. Photo makes it clear for anyone who has never been there that this is definitely a one way strip.

My understanding is that the runway had been only partly paved until the Red Bull air races in 2007 and Red Bull paid to pave the whole runway. I have always assumed they put on the RB for a bit of fun, but shortly afterwards it was repainted with traditional numbers. Good guess from earlier poster.

And yes - that was one helluva bug splat on the windshield.

Back