Interesting GPS approach at KMTV

W. Stewart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
W. Stewart
I saw this approach today, and thought it was interesting in that it did not have any alignment procedures at the IAF (no T-shaped feeders, or sectors marked "no PT", or a holding pattern depicted).

Martinsville, VA KMTV. RNAV(GPS) RW30

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1310/05648R30.PDF

I would like to hear the opinions of some folks on here what they would do if they were approaching the IAF from the West/North sectors.

Would you:

A: use the hold depicted for the Missed Approach hold to reverse course?

B: fly to ULAKE and turn towards the inbound course in whatever the shortest direction is?

C: sorta fly past ULAKE in a wide sweeping circle to intersect the inbound course prior to flying over ULAKE?

Wells

Since there is no depicted course reversal (the holding pattern as depicted is solely for missed approach holding), assuming I was cleared direct ULAKE coming from any direction (the controller's only legal option IAW 7110.65 other than to give you vectors to final, in which case the question would not arise), I would proceed direct to ULAKE, cross ULAKE, and then turn in the shortest direction to intercept and track the course from ULAKE to UBWAY. Nothing else complies with the approach as published and your clearance. Notice that there is a "Procedure Turn NA" note in the profile view to confirm this.

I saw this approach today, and thought it was interesting in that it did not have any alignment procedures at the IAF (no T-shaped feeders, or sectors marked "no PT", or a holding pattern depicted).

Martinsville, VA KMTV. RNAV(GPS) RW30

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1310/05648R30.PDF

I would like to hear the opinions of some folks on here what they would do if they were approaching the IAF from the West/North sectors.

Would you:

A: use the hold depicted for the Missed Approach hold to reverse course?

B: fly to ULAKE and turn towards the inbound course in whatever the shortest direction is?

C: sorta fly past ULAKE in a wide sweeping circle to intersect the inbound course prior to flying over ULAKE?

D: be vectored to the FAC.

Coming from the NW through east, I'd consider getting a clearance to ENTUK or LEAKS and to ULAKE from there.

(edited: somehow got the IAF wrong the first time).

Last edited:
I would either get vectors to the final approach course or consider flying to an airway to end up joining V143, then to ULAKE. Don't look at approach procedures in isolation without considering the nearby airway structure. ULAKE is on V143. The hold at ULAKE is a missed approach hold and not a HILPT, so if you want to use it to perform a course reversal, ask ATC for permission.

I would either get vectors to the final approach course or consider flying to an airway to end up joining V143, then to ULAKE.
Why would you not just go direct ULAKE and turn in the shortest direction to intercept and fly the leg from ULAKE to UBWAY? Should be a piece of cake with any IFR approach GPS.

Since there is no depicted course reversal (the holding pattern as depicted is solely for missed approach holding), assuming I was cleared direct ULAKE coming from any direction (the controller's only legal option IAW 7110.65 other than to give you vectors to final, in which case the question would not arise), I would proceed direct to ULAKE, cross ULAKE, and then turn in the shortest direction to intercept and track the course from ULAKE to UBWAY. Nothing else complies with the approach as published and your clearance. Notice that there is a "Procedure Turn NA" note in the profile view to confirm this.

The maneuver you describe fits the definition of procedure turn.

Why would you not just go direct ULAKE and turn in the shortest direction to intercept and fly the leg from ULAKE to UBWAY? Should be a piece of cake with any IFR approach GPS.

ULAKE is in Victor 143. The airway meets TERPs alignment requirements in both directions.

End of case, design wise.

Jepp chart:

JeppMTVRNAV30_zps6a421060.jpg

Interesting the Jepp chart does not contain the "Procedure Turn NA" reminder that the FAA chart does. Guess Jepp thinks the pilots who use them are knowledgeable enough to not need it.

They never have.

I would either get vectors to the final approach course or consider flying to an airway to end up joining V143, then to ULAKE. Don't look at approach procedures in isolation without considering the nearby airway structure. ULAKE is on V143. The hold at ULAKE is a missed approach hold and not a HILPT, so if you want to use it to perform a course reversal, ask ATC for permission.

ULAKE is in Victor 143. The airway meets TERPs alignment requirements in both directions.

End of case, design wise.

What they said. I'd file to end up on V143/V136/V258 to arrive at ENTUK from the North, or LEAKS from the South via V20 or V143, and you basically have your classic GPS T to ULAKE.

Last edited:
Where are these reporting points? I can't seem to find them on any STAR or chart.
I got the wrong fix for the IAF and subsequently picked the wrong fixes to shoot for. It should have been ENTUK and LEAKS prior to ULAKE.

What they said. I'd file to end up on V143/V136/V258 to arrive at ENTUK from the North, or LEAKS from the South via V20 or V143, and you basically have your classic GPS T to ULAKE.
Well, if you are (as the OP said) somewhere northwest of MTV, you can certainly do that, but you're going at least 18 miles out of your way to do so. If I can get direct ULAKE from where I am and save those 18 miles back down V143 from ENTUK, you bet your sweet bippy I'll take that, and then when I reach ULAKE, make a 210-225 degree turn to intercept the segment from ULAKE to UBWAY. Please feel free to call me on 122.75 so I can order for you and have your lunch waiting when you land.

Not any definition of a procedure turn I've ever seen in any FAA publication, but you may have your own definition which I've never heard of.

It fits the definition below, which appears in the Pilot/Controller Glossary, an FAA publication. I'm quite sure you've seen it, even if you do not understand it.

PROCEDURE TURN− The maneuver prescribed
when it is necessary to reverse direction to establish
an aircraft on the intermediate approach segment or
final approach course. The outbound course,
direction of turn, distance within which the turn must
be completed, and minimum altitude are specified in
the procedure. However, unless otherwise restricted,
the point at which the turn may be commenced and
the type and rate of turn are left to the discretion of the
pilot.

It fits the definition below, which appears in the Pilot/Controller Glossary, an FAA publication. I'm quite sure you've seen it, even if you do not understand it.

final approach course. The outbound course,
pilot.
Did you read the part I boldfaced? With none of that specified on this procedure, it is not a "procedure turn" as the FAA defines it.

Did you read the part I boldfaced?

Yup.

With none of that specified on this procedure, it is not a "procedure turn" as the FAA defines it.

final approach course.
The outbound course,
pilot.

final approach course.
The outbound course,
pilot.

The maneuver is neither prescribed, nor are the course, direction, distance and minimum altitudes specified. By the strictest definition, what Ron described is not a procedure turn. It's a course reversal.

Just like on IAPs, where a route line doesn't show a distance, altitude and heading, it's not a feeder route to the IAF.

The maneuver is neither prescribed, nor are the course, direction, distance and minimum altitudes specified. By the strictest definition, what Ron described is not a procedure turn. It's a course reversal.

I wouldn't call such a use of a non-HILPT holding pattern as a course reversal. I would call it use of an arrival hold for alignment purposes. More often that not use of an arrival holding pattern does not reverse course.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1310/09509R9.PDF

And, sometimes even a HILPT doesn't represent a course reversal, per se:

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1310/00018R20.PDF

I wouldn't call such a use of a non-HILPT holding pattern as a course reversal. I would call it use of an arrival hold for alignment purposes. More often that not use of an arrival holding pattern does not reverse course.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1310/09509R9.PDF

And, sometimes even a HILPT doesn't represent a course reversal, per se:

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1310/00018R20.PDF

Ron didn't advocate flying the "non-HILPT holding pattern" at all. He said:

Ron said:
...assuming I was cleared direct ULAKE coming from any direction (the controller's only legal option IAW 7110.65 other than to give you vectors to final, in which case the question would not arise), I would proceed direct to ULAKE, cross ULAKE, and then turn in the shortest direction to intercept and track the course from ULAKE to UBWAY.

I'm envisioning a teardrop turn of some sort back to ULAKE, headed inbound.

Originally Posted by Ron
...assuming I was cleared direct ULAKE coming from any direction (the controller's only legal option IAW 7110.65 other than to give you vectors to final, in which case the question would not arise), I would proceed direct to ULAKE, cross ULAKE, and then turn in the shortest direction to intercept and track the course from ULAKE to UBWAY.​

Is "any direction" covered under TERPS, or just if via an airway?

dtuuri

I was responding to your previous post, in which you stated, "By the strictest definition, what Ron described is not a procedure turn. It's a course reversal."

Since you'd be departing from your cleared route, you'd need to coordinate that with ATC. Otherwise, you'd be going a lot farther southeast of ULAKE than they would normally protect for the approach as published.

Is "any direction" covered under TERPS, or just if via an airway?
Now that I think about it, this came up in a discussion with AFS-400 a few years ago, and they said controllers were not permitted to send you direct to the IAF if there was no course reversal and the turn on would be more than 120 degrees, but I'm not sure what they are actually supposed to do in that situation. I do know for sure that the turn limit for entering at the IF is 90 degrees, but ULAKE is labeled as an IAF.

Now that I think about it, this came up in a discussion with AFS-400 a few years ago, and they said controllers were not permitted to send you direct to the IAF if there was no course reversal and the turn on would be more than 120 degrees, but I'm not sure what they are actually supposed to do in that situation. I do know for sure that the turn limit for entering at the IF is 90 degrees, but ULAKE is labeled as an IAF.

TERPs is 120. See chapter 2.

In any case AFS-400 doesn't decide what controllers are allowed to do. AFS-420 certainly does have (imperfect be it) input into air traffic procedures.

Last edited:
No. The RNAV 12 is.
I don't see how a TAA on the other side of the airport helps Cap'n Ron make a U-turn at ULAKE, especially if he's at 3000'. I think he has to come from V143 or get to the BALES NDB via a feeder and make the LOC RWY 30 approach instead.

dtuuri

Why don't they just put "RADAR required" on this plate?

Because although it offers more flexibility, it is not required to use the procedure which connects to the airway infrastructure. Very few approaches require radar. One local approach KUZA RNAV RWY 20 has the note: Radar required. It is required because there are no feeders or IAF on the procedure and the approach overlays the new long runway at KCLT. A clearance for this approach is rare, but I have gotten it once on my request. Traffic has to be pretty quiet at Charlotte.

Why don't they just put "RADAR required" on this plate?

Because it is tied to an airway so it would be incorrect to add the note "Radar Required." That note is not supposed to be used unless there are no other options or it's a major airport where ATC doesn't want certain approaches tied to the en route structure. (Lost Comm is less likely at a major air carrier airport because the users are very well equipped in most cases).

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with the approach at issue provided the pilot has the low-altitude en route chart out as should be the case.

This is a portion of the GSO MVA map. Note the localizer is on the video map. That is identical to the RNAV 30 final approach course so GSO could vector to final if they so chose:

MTVMVAs_zpsa5dc8a54.jpg

TERPs is 120. See chapter 2.

In any case AFS-400 doesn't decide what controllers are allowed to do. AFS-420 certainly does have (imperfect be it) input into air traffic procedures.
I know that. They coordinated their answer with ATO. Nevertheless, that's a controller issue, not a pilot issue, and pilots are not responsible for knowing what controllers are allowed to do.

So, if I was cleared direct to ULAKE and nothing further was said, upon arrival at that fix, I would not do anything but turn in the shortest direction to intercept the ULAKE-UBWAY segment inbound. I would definitely not turn southeast without coordinating that with ATC.

Last edited:
I know that. They coordinated their answer with ATO. Nevertheless, that's a controller issue, not a pilot issue, and pilots are not responsible for knowing what controllers are allowed to do.

So, if I was cleared direct to ULAKE and nothing further was said, upon arrival at that fix, I would not do anything but turn in the shortest direction to intercept the ULAKE-UBWAY segment inbound. I would definitely not turn southeast without coordinating that with ATC.

Another option is to refuse the clearance.

...pilots are not responsible for knowing what controllers are allowed to do.

So, if I was cleared direct to ULAKE and nothing further was said, upon arrival at that fix, I would not do anything but turn in the shortest direction to intercept the ULAKE-UBWAY segment inbound.
So, you'd rely on that clearance for terrain avoidance?

dtuuri

Back