Interesting elevator problem . . .

dbahn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Bahnson
The day before yesterday after 25 glider tows in the Pawnee, we paused for showers moving our way that I could see on the previous tow. Radar was showing a fairly rapid buildup so we scrambled to get five gliders into their hangars or secure tie-downs. I taxied to the Pawnee to its hangar and used the winch to pull the plane into the hangar (we use a rope on the tow hitch for the winch). All of the flights that day were normal with nothing unusual with the Pawnee.

Yesterday as I was pre-flighting the plane in the hangar I noticed a bend on the inside surface of the left elevator and a slight waviness in the fabric.

EL1.jpg

Thinking that maybe I had somehow missed this on dozens of previous days of towing, I compared it to the same tubular area on the right elevator:

EL2.jpg

There clearly was a difference and it was a new finding. I wondered how that could possibly have happened since I was the only one flying it that day, it flew perfectly normally and I personally handled the taxiing back to the hangar and getting it into its usual spot. What was then even more surprising was when I stood back and looked at both elevators simultaneously and saw this:

EL3.jpg

The entire elevator assembly had somehow been twisted with respect to each side, with no apparent cause. There was speculation that somehow it might have been hit by one of the golf carts used to tow gliders in the scramble to put things away, but that seems extremely unlikely to me as someone in the dozen or more people would have seen it and have said something. Plus there was no evidence of any kind of impact anywhere on the elevator. The mechanic who came to remove it yesterday thought that it might have been some kind of internal failure caused by internal corrosion.

Comfortable knowing that I had noticed it on a pre-flight, I still wondered what would have happened had it been flown in that condition. Obviously there would have been right rolling force applied to the fuselage, but how bad? Would there be enough aileron authority to keep it level? How bad would the added drag have been? Would there be sufficient excursion of the twisted unit to control pitch during take-off and landing?

To get some idea of the amount of torsional deformity, I had the mechanic hold the right elevator parallel to the horizontal stabilizer and I took this picture from the left side. Pretty scary situation. Has anyone ever seen something like this??

IMG_3259.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite to that extent, but a friend was going to take me up in his new-to-him Cessna 195. Taxiing out to the runway, he taxied the tail over a taxiway light and bent one half of the tail feathers kinda like that. Thank God a ramp guy saw it happen, jumped into a golf cart and caught us before taking off.

Almost looks to me like there’s a bolt missing from the torque tube on the left side.

Which side matches stick position?

Right side. I always trim elevator up for normal taxiing. So the left one is deflected downward.

I have no answers, but am really curious to know what happened.

Looks like someone pushed down hard on the trailing edge at the root rib. The rib is curved near the spar, and the rest of the elevator spar must have twisted. Internal corrosion quite possible.

The "torque tube bolt" is actually the aft stabilizer spar retaining bolt. The elevator spars have bellcranks welded to them.

1691003479042.png

Looking forward to what you find as I tow and am towed by a similar pawnee with some frequency.

Brian

Someone / something hit or leaned on that. Perhaps someone fell over and on it. Metal just doesn't spontaneously twist like that over night. Any security cameras?

you got it inside before the squall hit?
I once saw the wooden rear spar of a cub snapped by a large gust of wind from the rear, possibly a microburst, while it was tied down.

you got it inside before the squall hit?
I once saw the wooden rear spar of a cub snapped by a large gust of wind from the rear, possibly a microburst, while it was tied down.
Mostly rain, and not much wind. I got it inside before it even got very wet. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense.

Almost looks to me like there’s a bolt missing from the torque tube on the left side.

Which side matches stick position?
Both bell cranks are opposing each other normally. I don't see a bolt on the torque tube. It looks like unit construction, unlike some other Pipers.

I think you can see that on this magnified close-up from one of the images above. Both bell cranks are mated, and the mechanic has already removed access covers to see the linkage below and in front of the elevator tubes.

EL4.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the issue is ?
Besides the fact that the plane might be uncontrollable in flight, something is seriously wrong with a distorted elevator.

I think the elevator spar has sheared just outboard of the bent inboard rib. If so, flight loads on the last landing bent the elevator.

Back