Interesting adventures with rental planes & CFIs

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
I'm about ready to sell my Archer and hang up my flying hat soon, but I'd still like to do some interesting things aviation-related over the next few years. My wife will want to tag along, so we'll need room for 2 (plus a CFI).

What sorts of things might be available to scratch my flying itch, without needing my own plane or being proficient at it?

Some things I know I'd like to do...

• take a mountain flying course that includes a flight to Leadville, so I can check off the highest airport to go with the lowest one (Furnace Creek, that we did last fall)
  • take a helicopter discovery flight - my dream since childhood, but I don't have the resources to own a chopper so I'll have to settle for one or two flights with an instructor
Any other ideas??

Warbird. Floatplane. Gyrocopter. Tailwheel. Acro.

Sky’s the limit!

I see you specified room for three (2 + CFI) but if you can waive that requirement I think every pilot needs at least one balls-out aerobatic flight, if nothing more than to convince you you don't need another. :D

Nauga,
spun up (and down)

You can always aim high :)

Nasa to open International Space Station to tourists
Published
7 June 2019
_107292632_mediaitem107292631.jpg

I'm about ready to sell my Archer and hang up my flying hat soon,
Did you mention the reasons somewhere and I missed it? Just wondering what prompted the change.

My vote, in this order:

(1) aerobatic flight.. if you're ever in the San Diego area I just flew with this guy and he's great https://mikoaviation.com/aerobatic-training/
(2) seaplane

I would skip the mountain flying. Great skill, sure, but if you're hanging up your flying hat soon I would personally find the items above more exhilarating

..or, partially joking, give PoA's best friend Dan Gryder a call and take a lesson in his DC-3.. that would be a cool logbook entry to have

I'm about ready to sell my Archer and hang up my flying hat soon, but I'd still like to do some interesting things aviation-related over the next few years. My wife will want to tag along, so we'll need room for 2 (plus a CFI).

What sorts of things might be available to scratch my flying itch, without needing my own plane or being proficient at it?

Some things I know I'd like to do...

• take a mountain flying course that includes a flight to Leadville, so I can check off the highest airport to go with the lowest one (Furnace Creek, that we did last fall)
  • take a helicopter discovery flight - my dream since childhood, but I don't have the resources to own a chopper so I'll have to settle for one or two flights with an instructor
Any other ideas??
Colorado Pilots is doing the Mountain class twice this summer - full-day ground followed by a day of flying in the hills. One of the stops is always Leadville so you can get your certificate.

https://coloradopilots.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=612720&module_id=319185

New Mexico Pilots Assoc also has a mountain flying course, similar in structure but they do the northern NM & southern CO mountains, but don't go to Leadville.

Take a road trip visiting aviation museums and air shows…sort of have that plan sometime soon..

We recently retired and need the money for other adventures :)
Always sorry to hear someone leave the flock, but there are many worse reasons to go and am glad for you that it is not one of those reasons. :)

Y'know, since you mention wanting some helicopter time, you might also enjoy getting checked out in a gyrocopter. If you'd like to continue doing a little flying at lower expense, you could probably get a light-sport eligible experimental gyro that you could trailer.

Back