Interesting ADS-B experience . . .

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
Finally got flying yesterday and did an IPC and BFR - my airplane had its ADS-B upgrade in December. . .

I was doing the practice approaches - and the first controller got my number wrong - they often do - while my tail number ends in 90P - often they enter it as 09P and its hell to correct it.

Yesterday - the second controller heard me check in - and said - "90P - I've got your target here and your airplane is reporing 90P - is that correct?"

I said ' "Yes - it is 90P not 09P - he said - "OK, I'll correct it."

So - that answers the question whether our ADS-B airplanes are reporting the tail numbers as part of the extended squit coming out of the airplane. . .

This was in SoCal.

whether our ADS-B airplanes are reporting the tail numbers as part of the extended squit coming out of the airplane. . .
This was in SoCal.

Not tail number. The ICAO 24-bit transponder code specifically assigned to each aircraft within the service volumes of the Mode-S/ADS-B system.

The unique aircraft identifying number in my 330ES matches the one in aircraft reg - seems like pretty simple code

I can't find in the lit where the datastream for ADS-B Out emits anything other than the xpndr code (the code entered by the ADS-B installer). And I have no clue what ATC is seeing on their screens for this data. The data I get on my G1000 does not display a tail number just direction and altitude delta.

Probably just a simple database download that converts the hex to a N number or something.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Probably just a simple database download that converts the hex to a N number or something.

image.jpg
Yea, must be a public DB lookup of some sort, if you're getting them, what software is that?

All legal ADS-B out solutions (transmitters and UATs) transmit the airplane's unique, assigned, mode S ID code, which you can find searching the FAA aircraft registration data. In this case, when the transponder was installed, the shop probably transposed the N#. Unless you turn is off, once you have ADS-B out, you'll always be identified.

Go to FAA.GOV and search your N# and you can see the codes for your aircraft

The association between tail number and ICAO code is not in dispute. The question is what does ATC see on their screens. And what do those in the air see on their screens. Unless there is a setting I don't know about on the G1000 I am not seeing tail numbers in the air.
I see tail# on my Garmin Pilot traffic display from ADS-B out equipped aircraft

The association between tail number and ICAO code is not in dispute. The question is what does ATC see on their screens. And what do those in the air see on their screens. Unless there is a setting I don't know about on the G1000 I am not seeing tail numbers in the air.
I guess it depends on what software you use. If you have software that has the database and looks it up and displays it to you, then you see it. It seems ATC has this ability based on this pirep. And james331 has it based on his attached image.

All legal ADS-B out solutions (transmitters and UATs) transmit the airplane's unique, assigned, mode S ID code, which you can find searching the FAA aircraft registration data. In this case, when the transponder was installed, the shop probably transposed the N#. Unless you turn is off, once you have ADS-B out, you'll always be identified.

Go to FAA.GOV and search your N# and you can see the codes for your aircraft
I think OP's point was that ATC could see it and saw his correct # and corrected the wrong tail# that another facility had put in the system.

I don't see any proof here that ATC sees tail numbers from ADS-B Out. It may be the tail number has been entered as a transponder code by mistake (but that should have been caught in testing). The FAA registration record is not the same thing as ADS-B operating in realtime since the datastream only transmits the ICAO xpndr number.

Last edited:
Aircraft registration number is converted to octal or hex address and transmitted. That number corresponds to what is in FAA registry (or other country registry). The only time that is not required to be transmitted is described below.

http://www.avionictools.com/icao.php

(d) Minimum Broadcast Message Element Set for ADS-B Out. Each aircraft must broadcast the following information, as defined in TSO-C166b or TSO-C154c. The pilot must enter information for message elements listed in paragraphs (d)(7) through (d)(10) of this section during the appropriate phase of flight.

(1) The length and width of the aircraft;

(2) An indication of the aircraft's latitude and longitude;

(3) An indication of the aircraft's barometric pressure altitude;

(4) An indication of the aircraft's velocity;

(5) An indication if TCAS II or ACAS is installed and operating in a mode that can generate resolution advisory alerts;

(6) If an operable TCAS II or ACAS is installed, an indication if a resolution advisory is in effect;

(7) An indication of the Mode 3/A transponder code specified by ATC;

(8) An indication of the aircraft's call sign that is submitted on the flight plan, or the aircraft's registration number, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;

(9) An indication if the flightcrew has identified an emergency, radio communication failure, or unlawful interference;

(10) An indication of the aircraft's “IDENT” to ATC;

(11) An indication of the aircraft assigned ICAO 24-bit address, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;

(12) An indication of the aircraft's emitter category;

(13) An indication of whether an ADS-B In capability is installed;

(14) An indication of the aircraft's geometric altitude;

(15) An indication of the Navigation Accuracy Category for Position (NACP);

(16) An indication of the Navigation Accuracy Category for Velocity (NACV);

(17) An indication of the Navigation Integrity Category (NIC);

(18) An indication of the System Design Assurance (SDA); and

(19) An indication of the Source Integrity Level (SIL).

Last edited:
I could have sworn I saw a place to enter a tail number in the KT74.

On my traffic system I see the actual tail number of the aircraft around me, or the flight number (airlines). Pilots can chage the data as airlines do. I set mine up so its locked on registration number.

I could have sworn I saw a place to enter a tail number in the KT74.

There is. Two places; On Page 1-8 of the Pilot's Guide as "Flight Id". Also set at installation with the Aircraft registration in the Installation menu.

I don't see any proof here that ATC sees tail numbers from ADS-B Out. It may be the tail number has been entered as a transponder code by mistake (but that should have been caught in testing). The FAA registration record is not the same thing as ADS-B operating in realtime since the datastream only transmits the ICAO xpndr number.

Its not really any different than mode S right? They probably do.

Yea, I'm only guessing and not trying to prove anything, it just seems trivial that ATC's computers could look up the tail# from the registry DB based on the ICAO transponder number and display it in real time. It doesn't have to be broadcast to be crossreference-able.

Where are our ATC POAers? :)

there is no lookup involved, the code is derived from the N-number by an algorithm. if you know the algorithm it is a very simple conversion to get the number from the transmitted code. my dynon system puts the altitude, N-number and trend vector on the screen. thats why the transponders have you enter the N-number, it converts that to the proper code so you do not have to look it up to setup the unit.

Our Garmin 650 puts N-numbers on most ADS-B out airplanes that it sees. It's handy in a busy VFR pattern.

Stratus ESGi via Foreflight on iPhone:

display.jpg

The "N440xx" targets, and the one ending in 'PA', are all Piper Archers from Oxford Academy at KFFZ; "NDU69" is a trainer from the University of North Dakota school at KIWA.

Once in a while I'll get a bounce-back "ownship" target on the display with my own N-number on it.

there is no lookup involved, the code is derived from the N-number by an algorithm. if you know the algorithm it is a very simple conversion to get the number from the transmitted code. my dynon system puts the altitude, N-number and trend vector on the screen. thats why the transponders have you enter the N-number, it converts that to the proper code so you do not have to look it up to setup the unit.

Indeed!

I just looked in the 330 manual, and sure enough if you just enter the N number it automatically calculates the hex. Learn something new everyday!

IMG_1491.jpg

Insecure system on an insecure channel. That's going to bite the people who use it for "sec-ur-I-ta" someday. It's just a hash.

Insecure system on an insecure channel. That's going to bite the people who use it for "sec-ur-I-ta" someday. It's just a hash.
yup - I'm sure sooner or later there will be a reason to spoof the system - but I'm thinking blowing up concerts is a little more of a priority

Like tracking blocked tailnumbers?

Take a look at the ADSB track I posted and try to track that same plane in flightaware or something lol

Like tracking blocked tailnumbers?

Take a look at the ADSB track I posted and try to track that same plane in flightaware or something lol

I was thinking the other direction. Anyone can just borrow your aircraft ID for a while. Garbage in, garbage out.

Back