Interested in how many have trouble falling asleep in hotels?

Do you have trouble falling asleep in hotels?

• Never

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • Usually

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Always

Votes: 12 13.6%

• Total voters
I’m a private pilot, not a professional, but I travel for business quite a bit. I can usually fall asleep easily in a hotel, but I’m easily awakened by noises I’m unaccustomed to. The AC cycling, the room refrigerator, the elevator down the hall, other guests opening and closing doors, the snoring from the strange woman next to me, the pounding on the door from her husband,...
Headboards banging on the wall from the next room keep me awake, some times for a minute or two, sometimes all night, all depends on the activity in the next room,like loud screamer women,

Does anyone use a noise machine in a hotel room to help them get to sleep ?

If I can't get the A/C fan to stay on constantly, I'll turn on the radio and tune it in to a lot of static.

I almost never have trouble falling asleep in a hotel room. The curtains are opaque to any wavelength of light longer than gamma rays and the bed is usually pretty decent. At home it takes me too much time to fall asleep.

The biggest problem I have is the hvac unit sending stuff into the air that congests me. And I've never, ever, not once, stayed someplace where at least half a dozen groups of people think it's fine to come yelling down the hall at 2 a.m.

The first night is usually OK. I'm exhausted from traveling and sleep is not an issue. The second night can be a problem and I'm writing this early in the morning (when I should be asleep) on the third night. Oh yeah, I'm in Barcelona, 9 hours ahead of the west coast. We'll be fully acclimated to the time in Europe by the time we go home in a bit over a week from now.

Time zone changes (especially large changes like going to Asia or Europe) are usually far more disruptive than the actual hotel bed. Now, if you are used to sleeping on a relatively soft mattress, all bets are off if you are going to Mexico. Every place I've ever stayed in that country the mattresses are HARD. That takes some getting used to, at least for my wife and me.

I once invited an acquaintance to share a room with me on a vacation. Little did I know that she snored! The first night I fumbled around looking for earplugs, and was glad I had brought some. This went on every night for three weeks.

I generally have no problem sleeping in hotel rooms, this being an exception. I decided from then on, I was going to cough up the single supplement.

Time zone changes (especially large changes like going to Asia or Europe) are usually far more disruptive than the actual hotel bed.

Which is just opposite for me. Large time zone changes don't bother me as long as it is still daytime when I arrive. And when I finally get to bed I am out like a dead man....

The weeks I am at work I live at a Homewood Suites. Upper floor, rear of the building and I never have a problem falling asleep.

Headboards banging on the wall from the next room keep me awake, some times for a minute or two, sometimes all night, all depends on the activity in the next room,like loud screamer women,

The worst time I ever had was the people next door having a weird religious service in the middle of the night that lasted for an hour or more. At least I assume it was a religious thing, the woman kept screaming “OH GOD, OH GOD” over and over again.

For those of you who have overheard "night exercise": Did you try to see what the participants looked like the next day? I'll admit I've been curious. :)

The worst time I ever had was the people next door having a weird religious service in the middle of the night that lasted for an hour or more. At least I assume it was a religious thing, the woman kept screaming “OH GOD, OH GOD” over and over again.

I heard she was faking it, all I heard was "OH Brian, OH Brian"!

For those of you who have overheard "night exercise": Did you try to see what the participants looked like the next day? I'll admit I've been curious. :)

I feel like that would be a critical mistake. :D I'm always content just to picture them without having to eye them over the breakfast muffin and tea imagining them entangled. There is enough sadness in life already.

Which is just opposite for me. Large time zone changes don't bother me as long as it is still daytime when I arrive. And when I finally get to bed I am out like a dead man....

Yeah, but when you are traveling east bound you usually have a short night. Coming home from Asia, or going to Europe. Which reminds me, it's about 11:30 pm in Barcelona and I really should try to get some sleep. Now if I could just get karma to work on the ******* who stole my wallet today...

Back