Intercept airway on GTN750

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I was flying south down an airway and then vectored off to the east due to military traffic. After a while I was told to just continue flying 090 until I intercepted the next airway to the east and then turn south to follow that airway.

Is there a way to program the 750 to just maintain 090 until intercepting some airway and then turn to follow?

In the end I just left my AP in heading mode until I got close, then manually turned to intercept and switched to GPSS NAV mode.

I know on the GNS if you pick the leg you want to intercept and hit direct direct enter it will activate that leg, heading mode, arm nav, and when you start to come on the leg NAV should take over depending on the AP.

Fancy autopilots with arm mode for nav. The early Century units typical for Pipers don’t have that option.

Have to test with a sim but it might be possible to insert the airway in the Flightplan and the gps would fly the shortest distance to the airway and then track it using GPSS and heading mode on a Century II or III. I had a GTN do something similar on a SID once. I was a little embarrassed because that wasn’t exactly what ATC wanted.

In addition to Direct Direct, consider tapping the Menu key with the next waypoint selected. All sorts of cool options there including intercept leg.

Back