Instrument Rating

Robin Hood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robin Hood
So I have a 150 with a VFR panel that I was hoping to certify IFR so I can do my IFR training. I have all but the glide slope in my panel. I was told that in consideration of the money that would cost, I should go as far as possible training in my plane like it is then rent a plane for the approaches and such. Is this a good idea and is it perfectly legal?

Yes. I did my instrument training in 2 different airplanes, maybe 3. Been a few years. The first one had ADF and DME, the second one did not.

Why would you think it wouldn't be legal?

Simply wanted to be sure. I figured it would be since training involves mostly simulated instrument time anyway

The only time a certified IFR airplane is required is for your long cross-country—when you file and fly in the IFR system. The rest of the time you are VFR. If you don’t have a glide slope in your panel, it would not be possible do do the precision approach required in the practical test.

Thanks guys. I'll probably just rent a plane for the approaches

Thanks guys. I'll probably just rent a plane for the approaches
Make sure you know the systems of that plane down cold. If you bring a plane you aren't used to do the check ride be ready to really know it. It would suck to fail your IR ride because of not knowing the plane even though you can fly approaches.

I did my ride in a rental, that I used for the long cross country.

The only time a certified IFR airplane is required is for your long cross-country—when you file and fly in the IFR system. The rest of the time you are VFR. If you don’t have a glide slope in your panel, it would not be possible do do the precision approach required in the practical test.

The rest of the time you can be VFR. To the OP, you can train in as many different aircraft as it takes. I did mine in two different PA-28's, two 172's, and even a DA40 just to round things off. I would definitely suggest making sure you get as much actual time as you can during your training. For that it will require an IFR equipped airplane. It helps to do your checkride in a plane you have plenty of hood time in as you will be used to it's configuration and handling.

So I have a 150 with a VFR panel that I was hoping to certify IFR so I can do my IFR training. I have all but the glide slope in my panel. I was told that in consideration of the money that would cost, I should go as far as possible training in my plane like it is then rent a plane for the approaches and such. Is this a good idea and is it perfectly legal?

With many folks looking to upgrade to the GPS systems there are some great deals out there on "Old Skule" avionics.. may be time for an upgrade... if you plan to keep the 150

Once you get past droning around XC under the hood safely and routinely (boring) the IR is mostly about flying approaches. I went a different route. When I knew I was going to train for and use an IR, I sought a better-equipped 4-seat aircraft to replace my AA-1A, and trained in it. I still own that plane (an AA-5) today.

But starting your IR is well worth it at any time. If you stay current, it will give you more options and increase your flight safety, especially in MVFR conditions where you might be pressed into making bad decisions VFR-only.

I was told that in consideration of the money that would cost, I should go as far as possible training in my plane like it is then rent a plane for the approaches and such. Is this a good idea and is it perfectly legal?
What are you planning to do after the checkride?

i have alwas felt that most instrument training programs are set up wrong. they don't put enough emphasis on basic attitude flying. they tend to have a few hours of basic attitude and then jump into the approaches, and with the advent of RNAV it has gotten worse. if the student does not have a true understanding of basic attitude on the gauges and power management they get behind during the approach very fast. having your own airplane, even if it does not have all the radios for the checkride, gives you the ability to really master your scan and aircraft handling. an approach is just a process that is added to the ability to fly the aircraft precisely with only reference to instruments. practice a lot at flying the plane, speed changes, altitude changes, configuration changes, and all that while being distracted. if you master that, adding what is need to fly the approach is a lot easier.

i have alwas felt that most instrument training programs are set up wrong. they don't put enough emphasis on basic attitude flying. they tend to have a few hours of basic attitude and then jump into the approaches, and with the advent of RNAV it has gotten worse. if the student does not have a true understanding of basic attitude on the gauges and power management they get behind during the approach very fast. having your own airplane, even if it does not have all the radios for the checkride, gives you the ability to really master your scan and aircraft handling. an approach is just a process that is added to the ability to fly the aircraft precisely with only reference to instruments. practice a lot at flying the plane, speed changes, altitude changes, configuration changes, and all that while being distracted. if you master that, adding what is need to fly the approach is a lot easier.
Not good instrument training.

Agree. Not ready for approaches until you can fly your plane "by the numbers" and can configure it for power and attitude in any needed flight regime. This task would be one reason to train in only one airplane, the one you want to fly on instruments after the rating. You can do it in multiple planes, but have to learn and internalize the numbers for multiple aircraft.

Back