Instrument Rated!

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
Passed my ride yesterday, it sure wasn't easy, but I feel like a "real" pilot now :)

Total time for the ride was 2.4 which was pretty brutal in yesterday's heat. I was definitely more exhausted after I got home than I can ever remember being, but super excited to have this one done and in the books. Did my first solo IFR flight from the DPE's airport to home base afterwards and all I can say is IFR > VFR.

Next up for me is commercial :)

Congrats. I probably have another month or two before my instrument ride. I want to do the commercial as well, but I got a piece of advice recently that might be worth passing along- fly IFR as much as you can for six months before starting the commercial. That way, the VFR maneuvers of the commercial won't dislodge all of the IFR stuff you just learned...

Congrats. I probably have another month or two before my instrument ride. I want to do the commercial as well, but I got a piece of advice recently that might be worth passing along- fly IFR as much as you can for six months before starting the commercial. That way, the VFR maneuvers of the commercial won't dislodge all of the IFR stuff you just learned...

Good luck when you go for yours! As for waiting, well I've actually already started my commercial, I was finished with my instrument training back in early June but had 1 ride cancellation and it took another month or so to get back in. That is probably solid advice but I'm in a 141 program, goal is to finish commercial sometime this fall, CFI, CFII, MEI by next spring.

Congrats!

Can u elaborate on your math equation?

Haha mostly I just enjoy flying IFR way more than I do VFR. Probably a lot of it due to flying in the Baltimore/Washington area

Good luck when you go for yours! As for waiting, well I've actually already started my commercial, I was finished with my instrument training back in early June but had 1 ride cancellation and it took another month or so to get back in. That is probably solid advice but I'm in a 141 program, goal is to finish commercial sometime this fall, CFI, CFII, MEI by next spring.
Ah, nice! Didn't know you were a local, where are you training?

Congrats. You'll enjoy your first legal cloud without your CFII. My wife has a picture with just white outside. :)

Thanks for all the congrats! It definitely feels good to have that one in the bag, and now I can start taking some longer XC flights without having to worry too much about the weather grounding me somewhere.

Still gonna have some pretty high minimums for myself, 1000 ft ceiling and 3 miles vis until I get some more time under my belt, especially when flying single pilot with no AP.

Congratulations!

Sorry about the brutal heat, I know it can be unpleasant. Y'all had 105F too? :D

haha well it wasn't 105, think we broke 100 though and humidity on Friday was off the charts.

I guess I need to get used to it though because I'm planning on moving to Florida, Arizona, or maybe socal to flight instruct

Haha mostly I just enjoy flying IFR way more than I do VFR. Probably a lot of it due to flying in the Baltimore/Washington area
You can say that again!

Where are you based?

Back