Instrument Finish Up w/ DA-40XLS

vsc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vsc
Does anyone know who might be able to do an instrument finish up with a Diamond DA-40XLS?

Where in the midwest are you and what is your timeframe for wanting it done? Also, what requirements need to be met to finish up?

Illinois. Weather allowing anytime going forward. All PIC and XC hours complete. CFII departed for airline job leaving me needing check ride prep.

The DPE I consulted told me I should avoid switching equipment when I'm so close to being done, where Venture North seems to not have access to a Diamond, though their Cirrus at least should have a G1000 which is really the issue. I have flew Avidyne earlier this week, but it's clear I would need more hours to get familiar with different glass.

The DPE I consulted told me I should avoid switching equipment when I'm so close to being done,
I agree with this.

Venture North says they can send an instructor to you. So if you still have access to the Diamond you have been flying,

Professional Instrument courses (www.iflyifr.com) can also send an instructor to you for finish up.

I'm will call Venture North and discuss their Cirrus. While I'm checked out in multiple planes locally, my instrument training is in a DA-40XLS with G1000 & GFC-700 autopilot. I'm very familiar with the G1000 thus if possible I would not want to switch glass at this point, but getting checked out in a different plane is within the realm of reason. And I believe a SR-22 would get me a high performance endorsement which would be useful given the company I work for has a turboprop that requires that endorsement...

All said I don't own and the planes I have access to do not allow a third party instructor, thus coming to me would only work if it was my plane and I could add the person to as a named pilot on an insurance policy.

With respect to jumping on a commercial flight, that is possible and it makes sense to go somewhere where weather is less of a factor (e.g. icing comes to mind at this time of year). I have looked at one potential option out West with a DA, but scheduling has been an issue. If I had to say I think most companies want long term students though I have pushed to fit in a schedule gap.

I'm sorry, I just have to comment here - why do you keep feeding us little bits of information at a time? It's hard to help when we don't know what you need.

Does anyone know who might be able to do an instrument finish up with a Diamond DA-40XLS?

Sure, I could do that. Did you want to fly your airplane to me, or bring me to you? Where are you located?

Illinois. Weather allowing anytime going forward. All PIC and XC hours complete. CFII departed for airline job leaving me needing check ride prep.

Oh, in Illinois. So your CFII departed, can't you find another nearby? Any CFII with glass experience should be able to teach you in your DA-40.

The DPE I consulted told me I should avoid switching equipment when I'm so close to being done, where Venture North seems to not have access to a Diamond, though their Cirrus at least should have a G1000 which is really the issue. I have flew Avidyne earlier this week, but it's clear I would need more hours to get familiar with different glass.

"Switching equipment" implies maybe you don't have your own airplane after all, though it's a true statement even if you do own your airplane.

Not until your 4th post do we definitely find out you don't own the airplane.

And are you saying there are no other CFIIs at the school or club or whatever you've been flying with? The best solution may be to see if the club/school/whatever that is apparently short on instructors will make an exception for a qualified third-party instructor to fill their instructional gap (or bring someone on staff temporarily so they're no longer "third party"). Or did your CFII own the DA-40 and therefore it's going away with him? Lot of options, but without some more details, we can't help with that.

Just to confirm -- your club/school is now completely devoid of a CFII?

It might be a bit painful, but switching schools / clubs to one with a CFII that can teach you in their plane/new to you glass as well as provide the prep work for your check ride might be the best option after all. More than you'd like right now, but you'd come out with training in different glass to add to your skill list.

Another option might be to take a 2 week vacation to a larger school that has a good supply of CFII's, planes, and DPE's available. Again, a lot more than what you're looking to do now, but it would take care of things.

This appears to be OBE. I been calling schools with Diamond DA-40's, where it appears I have a commitment for the CFII, plane and DPE appointment. Just need to book a ticket on United and show up ready to get done.

Just to confirm -- your club/school is now completely devoid of a CFII?

It might be a bit painful, but switching schools / clubs to one with a CFII that can teach you in their plane/new to you glass as well as provide the prep work for your check ride might be the best option after all.

I just did completed the IFR training and checkride with the students aircraft in Tucson, however I can come to your location. -Phil
Accelerated-ifr.com

I'm will call Venture North and discuss their Cirrus. While I'm checked out in multiple planes locally, my instrument training is in a DA-40XLS with G1000 & GFC-700 autopilot. I'm very familiar with the G1000 thus if possible I would not want to switch glass at this point, but getting checked out in a different plane is within the realm of reason. And I believe a SR-22 would get me a high performance endorsement which would be useful given the company I work for has a turboprop that requires that endorsement...

All said I don't own and the planes I have access to do not allow a third party instructor, thus coming to me would only work if it was my plane and I could add the person to as a named pilot on an insurance policy.

With respect to jumping on a commercial flight, that is possible and it makes sense to go somewhere where weather is less of a factor (e.g. icing comes to mind at this time of year). I have looked at one potential option out West with a DA, but scheduling has been an issue. If I had to say I think most companies want long term students though I have pushed to fit in a schedule gap.

I think if you can't find the Diamond, a Cirrus with the perspective or perspective+ will work for you. The airplane change will probably be of less consequence than changing instructors, the avionics are real close from what I can see. I got my ticket in a g3 sr-20 which was not high performance, the g6 20 is high performance (215 hp) and is a great platform for instruments, other than the 120/100 knot approach speeds which mean you have less time than 80 or 90 for a 172.

I find that a Cirrus handles much more nicely than a Diamond, so that could help in your training. The G1000 will basically be the same - the keyboard interface on the Cirrus would be a nice benefit.

I forgot to add my contact information for accelerated IFR in your aircraft. It could be found at accelerated-IFR.com
Thx

Back