Instrument checkride question

I wonder if you can point out where in the IR PTS It lists a requirement to know and perform that specific technique.
I guess you still don't teach it, huh? It's right out of the IFH and the Intro to the PTS, Page 7:
"When using the practical test standards, the examiner must evaluate the applicant’s knowledge and skill in sufficient depth to determine that the standards of performance listed for all Tasks are met."​
But that's today. This test was many years ago under an earlier PTS version. I accepted the method he did know, but I was gaining an insight to his depth of knowledge and skill.
This from the guy who'd fails someone if the aircraft broke?
Don't twist my words. I said if the discontinuance letter was dropped by the FAA (I'd drop it) anything other than a certificate issuance would be recorded the same: "Unapproved."

BTW, ADF orientation, interception, tracking and holding are mandatory parts of the PIC syllabus if there's an operable ADF in the client's plane, so I suspect you were a victim of a BS artist, not bad training.
I recall him being a very honorable fellow. A common reaction during flight tests is confusion when someone new asks questions in a slightly different way than accustomed to. That's why mock check rides are so important and why I always had my students do them. PIC didn't do them back then, probably to control any possible negative gossip. Do you set up applicants with mock check rides nowadays?

You also don't play like you say.
You're the one who said, and I quote, "Once you've failed, you've failed, and that's that." I didn't say I had failed this applicant, yet. It was pretty clear things hadn't taken proper perspective in his mind, though, and had the test continued, failure would be likely. The ADF was lousy, though, and he didn't have the experience to tell the difference between his tracking technique and equipment failure, so I gave him a break. Shoot me.

dtuuri

Back