Instrument approaches to grass strips?

Harford County (0W3) has an RNAV-B 10-28 is turf. In fact, the approach is aligned with the grass runway (brings you straight into Runway 10).

??? A/FD shows it asphalt. Satellite pics show it asphalt. Then it gets weird. Satellite pic shows no runway 1/19. You can see where it maybe once was. The A/FD shows it still there, with REIL’s

EDIT: I called them. 1/19 got paved earlier this year. 10/28 is still paved.

Last edited:
Didn't know it got paved. I was misremembering the directions I guess. A while back I landed on the grass because it was the way the wind was blowing. Someone came up to me and asked me what I was up to because "only the gliders land on the grass."

Boldmethod did an article about IFR to anywhere even if the destination did not have an instrument approach. The gist is you file IFR to a point near the airport and descend to TPA below the clouds, then fly to the airport and land VFR. They explained the basics of just how to do that. Very interesting. I'm not sure if that meets your expectations but it was good to know.

Boldmethod did an article about IFR to anywhere even if the destination did not have an instrument approach. The gist is you file IFR to a point near the airport and descend to TPA below the clouds, then fly to the airport and land VFR. They explained the basics of just how to do that. Very interesting. I'm not sure if that meets your expectations but it was good to know.

Might have been talking about Cruise Clearances to airports without Approaches

Huh? Why "to a point near an airport." I fly IFR into my grass strip all the time. I use the AIRPORT as the destnation. If I get down to the MVA and don't think I can get in, then I'll divert to a nearby field that does have an approach. You're ALWAYS required to file an alternate if your destination doesn't have an approach. If I can land in visually, I do so. There's no need to cancel IFR in the air and go in VFR.

Huh? Why "to a point near an airport." I fly IFR into my grass strip all the time. I use the AIRPORT as the destnation. If I get down to the MVA and don't think I can get in, then I'll divert to a nearby field that does have an approach. You're ALWAYS required to file an alternate if your destination doesn't have an approach. If I can land in visually, I do so. There's no need to cancel IFR in the air and go in VFR.

Same here. Very standard procedure.

At my ‘port, the approach controllers at KRDU will work hard to get you in with vectors. I typically file KRDU as the alternate but often indicate my out is one of the other ‘approachable’ strips nearby. With the newer LPV approaches, I give up little going to the smaller strips these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back