Instructional Philosophy

What is the instructional philosophy at simulator level training, like Flight Safety or Simuflite? Do they try at all to tailor to the personality/experience/skills of the student, or do they treat everyone the same?
I can only speak about FlightSafety since I've never been to any other brand of simulator school. From what I have experienced, the programs are usually very structured and not tailored to the individual. Of course, they can't treat everyone exactly alike since people come from different backgrounds and they make some allowance for that, especially in the sim. Still, there is only a certain amount of time to check off a certain number of boxes. They will give you additional training and sim sessions if you need it but I don't know if that costs extra or not. I was once partnered with someone who was there an extra few days before they would let him attempt his checkride. You are their customer and they are not looking to wash you out.

One piece of advice I would give to anyone planning on going to a school like that is to go there already proficient on instruments. They are there to teach you the specific airplane, not give you an IFR refresher. If you are struggling with how to read and interpret an instrument approach plate you will already be way behind.

Here is part of the problem. All of my instructors have looked and saw a 'fat old woman who wants to fly out to see the grandchildren'. They should have realized this is a serious student who wants to be the best pilot around and who would have appreciated structure, CRM, and a deep understanding of aerodynamics. Discussions of how and why airplanes perform as they do are much more valuable than me defending my position on some old saw. I am capable of so much more than has been asked of me or taught to me. My grandchildren suffer from my ignorance.

My best instructor did not give me any of the above but at least he gave me the permission, and thus the confidence, to experiment and find out what I could do and what the plane could do. As a result, I can fly one airplane.

When my mother learned to fly, her instructor (who I think was also her boss at work) pushed her really hard to be/do the absolute best she could. I'm not sure what his motives were but I do know it wasn't due to any feelings that women shouldn't/can't fly because he's the one who talked her into taking lessons in the first place. I suspect that he figured she'd face some discriminatory pressure and wanted her to do well enough that she flew well and with confidence. BTW this was in the 1940 time frame when women pilots were a lot more rare than today.

I think my one pet peeve as a student, which I try not to repeat as an instructor, is instructors that talk too much. Sure, demo the maneuver, then talk me through it, but after that, let me do it on my own. When someone is trying to cue me all the time I feel like a voice-activated autopilot and I am not thinking on my own. I know it can be frustrating to the instructor to sit there quietly if the student (or my new flying buddy) isn't doing something quick enough or perfectly enough, but you need to let them try, at least to the extent that it is safe. I know that I have used the phrase, "no let me do it myself," often recently in school when learning how to program a new-to-me FMS.

Now that's something I'd have to work on as an instructor. To begin with it's hard for me to shut up when I should. But beyond that, I don't mind someone giving me all sorts of verbal guidance when I'm learning something so it seems "natural" to reciprocate. In reality this is just one example of different learning styles and the need for an instructor to adjust their style to every individual student. And on a related note, any instructor who's coaching a student really needs to make sure that at least half of what he's telling the student is positive. IOW make certain that you're looking for opportunities to point out whenever the student does something right/better or even just "less worse". I really don't believe that there are any students that "need" to be berated continuously in order to improve.

Two comments.
1. Students have to make mistakes to learn. Let them make mistakes & give them a chance and reasonable amount of time to self correct before verbally or physically making the correction for them. (Please, no cute comments about letting the student kill you to practice this concept.)
2. (To second Everskyward's gripe) If the instructor is continually talking and explaining, the student may subconsciously start to use these well meaning directions as a crutch. When the DE doesn't give him/her the same ongoing info, well oops.

I think my one pet peeve as a student, which I try not to repeat as an instructor, is instructors that talk too much.
This bugs me more than anything. It is a habit of many instructors--they just won't shut up. It absolutely drives me nuts. I do not need constant verbal instructions.

I've found it to be more common if someone lets you fly their airplane. They feel the need to constantly provide some verbal input as if you're their human auto pilot every 3 seconds. I'd rather just not fly then be told some x or z value on repeat.

Looking back, I was lucky to have had the primary instructor that I did. However, that was just by chance. The things he taught me went way beyond any private pilot curriculum, although I didn't realize it at the time.

Same here, my first CFI was ex-Air Force, and spins, partial panel (needle, ball and airspeed), commercial manuvers and commercial standards of airspeed and altitude control were part of the drill. I liked it, but it probably wouldn't work for a lot of folks.

I think my one pet peeve as a student, which I try not to repeat as an instructor, is instructors that talk too much. Sure, demo the maneuver, then talk me through it, but after that, let me do it on my own. When someone is trying to cue me all the time I feel like a voice-activated autopilot and I am not thinking on my own. I know it can be frustrating to the instructor to sit there quietly if the student (or my new flying buddy) isn't doing something quick enough or perfectly enough, but you need to let them try, at least to the extent that it is safe. I know that I have used the phrase, "no let me do it myself," often recently in school when learning how to program a new-to-me FMS.
I think a good CFI assigns homework out of the books/manuals prior to the lesson, then goes over the lesson's objectives and technical information thoroughly on the ground first. Then go up in the air and work on whatever the lesson is with a minimum of yakking. Too much talk interrupts the hand-eye-brain connection building process, IMO.

Trapper John

Talking is part of the process in each area but should slowly taper off as the student is meeting or exceeding the PTS. I'll demonstrate and talk through a maneuver. Next, I'll talk through it as the student performs the maneuver. Finally, the student performs the maneuver and indicates what he or she is doing along the way. It doesn't have to be "Instructional Knowledge" as required for the instructor but simply a enough to show they understand what they are doing at a given time during the maneuver.

Once they've achieved the PTS or better, all I'll do is ask for a demonstration of that maneuver from time to time. Sometimes, it stays with them and sometimes it slips on some level. We'll revisit the key areas and let the student rebuild the skill. I'll ask if they need a demonstration but I'll give them the the chance to make any corrections before "taking the plane" from them so long as there's no safety issue.

I do provide material to read either from the FAA books or other material I copy from. It's nice having an IP lawyer as a student who explained the "Fair Use" clause. We'll go over the material as needed then go make it happen. Landings are the only thing I'll allow to happen more than three or four times. If they are doing well, great. If not, we'll go try something else and come back to the other issue later on which is usually the next flight.

This bugs me more than anything. It is a habit of many instructors--they just won't shut up. It absolutely drives me nuts. I do not need constant verbal instructions.

I've found it to be more common if someone lets you fly their airplane. They feel the need to constantly provide some verbal input as if you're their human auto pilot every 3 seconds. I'd rather just not fly then be told some x or z value on repeat.

To touch on this--I think instructors may feel like if everything is going right--they should say something--to earn their pay.

For example..they'll start telling you a different way to do something..etc..personally this annoys me a bit, unless their way is really great, which it usually makes no difference.

To touch on this--I think instructors may feel like if everything is going right--they should say something--to earn their pay.

For example..they'll start telling you a different way to do something..etc..personally this annoys me a bit, unless their way is really great, which it usually makes no difference.
Maybe for some instructors but in time it's more my student's BBQ so I ask to show me something and they have the fun. But eventually, I'll play the role of the "pain in the butt" passenger. The time comes for them to perform landings or emergency procedures while they learn to deal with distractions. In the end, I explain they are in command and no one on that airplane is immune to being asked to be quiet, including the examiner during their check ride. We'll also discuss the "ISO" feature on the comm panel.

In the time leading up to solo flight, I'll try to say less and less. I want them more used to some quiet in the cockpit when the "other person" is no longer on board nor on the ground watching with a handheld radio. For some, that becomes a little eerie.

And on a related note, any instructor who's coaching a student really needs to make sure that at least half of what he's telling the student is positive. IOW make certain that you're looking for opportunities to point out whenever the student does something right/better or even just "less worse". I really don't believe that there are any students that "need" to be berated continuously in order to improve.
Amen to that. The stereotypical old fart CFI who communicates with a sectional upside the head is not who I can ever see myself being, and not someone I would consider effective at instruction. Students need to know when they're doing good. Positive reinforcement works a lot better than the sectional upside the head.

This bugs me more than anything. It is a habit of many instructors--they just won't shut up.
Part of this may be that instructors get the same advice I've gotten about the CFI checkride: never shut up, because if you do, the examiner will start to ask all sorts of questions and try to distract you from what you're trying to teach. I don't know how true that is, but regardless, some folks may carry that over into actual teaching.

That's bad.

If everything is going right... They should fail something to earn their pay. :yes: If the student has no problem flying the plane when everything is going right, maybe it's time for something (or everything) to go wrong.

Seriously, that's one thing I like about Joe is that he really kicks my ass on every flight. I would seriously sweat, even with the heat turned off in the winter. I even got to the point where I'd be on an approach and be like "And the final approach fix is at 5.2 DME but the DME is going to fail in a minute so I'd better tune in DLL so I can identify it by the cross radial as well." :rofl:

At some point this year, we'll start bringing in international students. What I don't want is us to become like a school I experienced early on. I saw that school as nothing more than a ticket mill and a cash cow for the owners.
I honestly didn't know that there was anything in aviation that was a cash cow!:no::rofl:
Part of this may be that instructors get the same advice I've gotten about the CFI checkride: never shut up, because if you do, the examiner will start to ask all sorts of questions and try to distract you from what you're trying to teach. I don't know how true that is, but regardless, some folks may carry that over into actual teaching.
I was thinking the same thing when I read Jesse's comment. I would also think that this might be an opportunity for some positive reinforcement, though too much of that can lose its effectiveness, too.

Thats exactly what I've been told. Just keep talking, but make sure its meaningful. If you don't, the examiner is going to distract you.

Amen to that. The stereotypical old fart CFI who communicates with a sectional upside the head is not who I can ever see myself being, and not someone I would consider effective at instruction. Students need to know when they're doing good. Positive reinforcement works a lot better than the sectional upside the head.

Yeah, but....

Earlier on Ted said he wanted a CFI that really knows how to fly.

Others have said the instructor should be a good communicator and listener. Others want lots of "sweat."

This is not the same person.

A good primary instructor will adapt to the student temperment, level of achievement, aspirations, specific task, and conditions.

As the "student" moves up the ladder, she'll want (and need) less adaptation by the instructor and more pure knowledge/skill/ability transfer.

It becomes less about how you teach and more about what you know, and the student that is self-motivated will put up with increasing levels of "old guy grumbling" in order to be exposed to the superior knowledge and skills.

Yeah, but....

You bet I do! :yes:

Others have said the instructor should be a good communicator and listener. Others want lots of "sweat."

A good primary instructor will adapt to the student temperment, level of achievement, aspirations, specific task, and conditions.

As the "student" moves up the ladder, she'll want (and need) less adaptation by the instructor and more pure knowledge/skill/ability transfer.

It becomes less about how you teach and more about what you know, and the student that is self-motivated will put up with increasing levels of "old guy grumbling" in order to be exposed to the superior knowledge and skills.

So the best instructors should have a healthy case of multiple personality disorder in order to be all these people. ;)

Seriously, it does come back to adapting to the student, and realizing what that student needs. In the case of things like someone who really, really knows how to fly, that might be a harder trait to get. I do agree that, given the fact that people have this nasty habit of being human, you'll get human strengths and weaknesses. So, this is where the student needs to find a compatible instructor. Of course, the hard part here is that there may be a limited supply of instructors, and students may likely not realize they can switch.

To the talking thing: My instructor tends to not shut up when we're flying. The thing is, it's all good material. His non-stop talking is part of why I'm always learning. I know I have a lot to learn, and he has a lot to teach. To me, if he shuts up, he's not earning his money. Additionally, I've learned how to use the "Pilot Isolate" button/switch quite well when I need to talk to ATC and he's not shutting up. It's good practice - I've had to do that with passengers, and so he's successfully interjected realistic distractions.

If he was spouting on about useless crap, then I would want him to shut up. If we don't end up talking about flying, we end up talking about life. It's still fun and I still learn stuff.

Comes down to the student. :)

another thing my favorite instructor used to say a lot was "the cockpit is a lousy classroom"

Thats exactly what I've been told. Just keep talking, but make sure its meaningful. If you don't, the examiner is going to distract you.
But the examiner is supposed to represent a student who you are demoing the maneuver to for the first time. In that case you need to talk. The CFI checkride is not a realistic example of a typical lesson.

Instructor must have experience beyond going back and forth to the practice area and flying the same dual cross countries over and over and over again.

No 250 hour wonders.

I'm going to surely regret this but in the spirit of the question asked, here goes.

Everyone is different. Different goals, motivations, fears, insecurities, strengths, you name it. That includes you, too. You want to instruct? Learn yourself first and understand right from jump street that you are a facilitator of the best and worse that people bring to the party.

One size does not fit all. Ever. You show me two folks who learn (or teach for that matter) the same and I'll show you some nice beach front property in (insert your favorite landlocked area here).

Nothing smells worse than misinformation. Be right the first time and everyone is happy and happy is good. If you don't know then you don't know but you do have the capacity to find out. So go find out and be willing to accept or at least listen to things that are outside your "infobubble". Other than the immutable laws of physics, there are probably alternatives of doing just about everything. Probably.

Safety first. Always. And have fun.

Instructor must have experience beyond going back and forth to the practice area and flying the same dual cross countries over and over and over again.

No 250 hour wonders.

Unfortunately that's the norm and economics appear to dictate that this isn't likely to change drastically in the near future. I agree that for many this is far from ideal, but perhaps there's a way to improve the knowledge of flight school graduates that step into the CFI role without requiring them to spend money they don't have on flying experience. Any ideas on that? How about a program for non-CFI pilots with real world experience to mentor CFIs? I could see some valuable quid pro quo opportunities there.

Last edited:
As a CFI, ask questions of the student on how they learn. The students are adults who have been through formal education and know if they learn by doing, by seeing, by reading, etc.

Me, I'm a learn by doing person. I have to know the "why" behind an answer and not just the answer. That's the analytical engineer in me coming to the forefront.

Reading is not how I learn. I can read about a subject but ask that you, CFI, be prepared to do a deep dive so I know "why". I'll gladly pay you for your time.

In the plane, your primary responsibility is to keep us safe, whether during the private or while I'm under the hood. Remember that I learn by doing so let me screw up, but keep us safe. Let me blow through a radial so I can kick my own arse when I realize it. I will learn by making "safe" mistakes, not you reminding me I'm coming up on the radial or intersection. I'm harder on me than you will ever be.

The instructor finishing up my IR is a perfect example of compromise. He knows how I learn even though that's not his style preference in teaching. At the end of the day, we're both better off. We both come back safe, I learned and will continue to pay him for his time and experience.

.... Let me blow through a radial so I can kick my own arse when I realize it. I will learn by making "safe" mistakes, not you reminding me I'm coming up on the radial or intersection. I'm harder on me than you will ever be...
This reminded me of something that my dad did to me when I was learning to drive. He would ask me to do things (a) that weren't in the original plan or (b) when it was actually too late to do it "normally". These were important lessons. I learned that, "Hey, let's stop at that hardware store right there" didn't mean I had to slam on the brakes and - if I didn't cause an accident - scare the bejeebers out of the guy behind me. I could always go around the block, or park further down and walk back, or even turn around in another parking lot and come back.

Practicing a few things like that helped me learn not to panic when something didn't go as intended. Instead, just evaluate your alternatives and choose one that's safe. I never really thought about it before but I guess that same attitude has carried over to my flying. I'm sure a CFI could find many similar things, like blowing through a radial, to do with a student to help them handle their next "Oops, that didn't going right" or "Where is that waypoint" episode.

So the best instructors should have a healthy case of multiple personality disorder in order to be all these people. ;)

Seriously, it does come back to adapting to the student, and realizing what that student needs. In the case of things like someone who really, really knows how to fly, that might be a harder trait to get. I do agree that, given the fact that people have this nasty habit of being human, you'll get human strengths and weaknesses. So, this is where the student needs to find a compatible instructor. Of course, the hard part here is that there may be a limited supply of instructors, and students may likely not realize they can switch.

:D Personality disorder?

Hmmm...

Well, I just think it takes a bigger dose of people skills to be a good primary instructor.

The guys who can really wring every last ounce of performance from a bird often lack some social grace, but by the time you're ready to learn at that level, you can overlook the gruffness.

I think I told this story before, but of well..

I was working out at a local Gold's Gym getting back some body balance after a long season of just bicycle racing and riding.

I saw a guy working out, walked over to him, and in between sets asked, "Can you spot me on this? I'm not sure I'm doing it right..."

He looked and pointed at me and said, "Here's how you do it -- you go home and dream about it!"

I didn't blink, pointed back and said, "Well, I asked you because I see you every morning and you look like you know what you're doing!"

He threw down his towel and said, "ok, ok..."

After that we were fine.

He was no teacher -- more a constant critic. But I learned what I needed to learn.

(I gotta million Army training stories, but I'm not opening that vault ...)

I'm also curious if any of you CFIs out there have ever encouraged a student to go out and fly with another CFI just to get another viewpoint on a particular technique the student is having trouble with. I've read a number of messages on the various boards where students are encouraged to switch to another CFI when they are having problems with their current CFI but I would think there might be some cases where a student having trouble with a particular maneuver might benefit by trying it with someone different. I'm not talking about "changing CFIs" here - only having the student go out with someone different to try a particular maneuver to see if the other CFI's method "clicks" better.

I'm also curious if any of you CFIs out there have ever encouraged a student to go out and fly with another CFI just to get another viewpoint on a particular technique the student is having trouble with. I've read a number of messages on the various boards where students are encouraged to switch to another CFI when they are having problems with their current CFI but I would think there might be some cases where a student having trouble with a particular maneuver might benefit by trying it with someone different. I'm not talking about "changing CFIs" here - only having the student go out with someone different to try a particular maneuver to see if the other CFI's method "clicks" better.

In my IR training I just couldn't "get" NDB approaches. My cfi and I went over and over and over them. Both on the ground and in the air.
After working on them for to long in my CFI's opinion HE suggested that I go up with one of the other cfi's at the school.
His words were something to the effect of "your not getting it the way I am teaching it, so why don't you go up with xxxx and maybe he can help you".
Actually just took that one lesson, the "other" cfi just put it different to me and it all clicked.
So yes, it does happen with a GOOD cfi IMHO.

Mark B

"Changing instructors" is what we would do during my private when, inevitably, hitting the brick wall. The first time we changed, the "new" CFI realized I was death gripping the yoke. Once I retaught my hand not to do that, we were back on track. It helped me, by YMMV.

No 250 hour wonders.

Ah, but hours are meaningless. By the time I had 250 hours I had filled in most of the beginning frame of the animated map that you see in my signature. I had done a cross country flight of nearly 2000nm, gotten flight time in quite a few different types, landed at a lot of "interesting" fields, and gotten some glass-panel time (in fact, when I ticked over 250 hours I was flying a brand-new C182 with G1000 from Key West up to Tampa, on a very quiet Miami Center frequency, listening to Natalie Cole on the XM - aaaaah. :)). I've continued to expand my horizons as much as possible, adding to the map and the logbook. I've been to all the coasts (east/west/gulf), flown even more types, flown skiplanes, seaplanes, and gliders, etc. etc. etc...

I have 700 hours. Plenty yet to learn, but I've packed a lot of experience into a short amount of time.

Then, there's the CFI that started at 250 hours and now has 3000 hours and still hasn't been more than 300nm away from their home drome, hasn't flown anything not built by Cessna, hasn't landed on anything less than 3000' paved strips, etc... Sure, they'll be a better *teacher* than I will, but with less real experience to back it up.

So I understand what you are saying, but don't think that simply having hours makes a better CFI. Like the saying says, "Do you have 1500 hours, or do you have the same hour 1500 times?" Interestingly enough, some of my best instructors have been the low-time ones. The ones who are enthusiastic about teaching and don't know it all yet can be very good. In fact, now that I mention it, I'm pretty sure that neither of the guys I mentioned as my favorite CFI's in my initial post in this thread has over 2000 hours!

Sure it is. Not in all instructors, for sure, but it can be. The guy who makes me "sweat" fits the other two descriptions as well...

I like an instructor who challenges me to learn something new each time.

And Dr. Bruce's comments, above, resonate with me. Wish I was closer to Peoria!

:D Personality disorder?

Hmmm...

Well, I just think it takes a bigger dose of people skills to be a good primary instructor.

The guys who can really wring every last ounce of performance from a bird often lack some social grace, but by the time you're ready to learn at that level, you can overlook the gruffness.

I'm not sure there's a correlation between "gruffness" and knowledgeable pilots any more but there probably at least used to be one given that at one point a "military style" training approach was in vogue.

I think I told this story before, but of well..

I was working out at a local Gold's Gym getting back some body balance after a long season of just bicycle racing and riding.

I saw a guy working out, walked over to him, and in between sets asked, "Can you spot me on this? I'm not sure I'm doing it right..."

He looked and pointed at me and said, "Here's how you do it -- you go home and dream about it!"

I didn't blink, pointed back and said, "Well, I asked you because I see you every morning and you look like you know what you're doing!"

He threw down his towel and said, "ok, ok..."

After that we were fine.

He was no teacher -- more a constant critic. But I learned what I needed to learn.

(I gotta million Army training stories, but I'm not opening that vault ...)

Seems to me that guy's problem was an inflated ego, and that's something likely to impede learning whether the inflatee is the pilot or the CFI. I am surprised that the issue of ego hasn't come up on this thread so far (at least that I can recall).

IAnd Dr. Bruce's comments, above, resonate with me. Wish I was closer to Peoria!
No, I lived too many years in Illinois for me to want this for you. What you want is for Peoria to be closer to you :D

Seems to me that guy's problem was an inflated ego, and that's something likely to impede learning whether the inflatee is the pilot or the CFI. I am surprised that the issue of ego hasn't come up on this thread so far (at least that I can recall).
I remember when I was looking for an instructor for some rating (I think it was MEI), I spoke to one instructor who went on and on and on about how many hours he had, all the things he'd done, etc. I listened quietly and never went back. Later I spoke to someone else who knew the guy but didn't have the same impression of him. He laughed and said it's probably because I'm female and he was trying to make a big impression on me. Yeah, well he did... so much so that I still remember it.

i used to be a 250 hr wonder.

actually, i only had about 225 hrs when i got my CFI

...and I'm expecting to have somewhere between 320 and 330 hours when I get mine. (I've got 312.9 as I type this.) The difference, for me, is that I'm not going to build time just to disappear off to an airline job.

i used to be a 250 hr wonder.

actually, i only had about 225 hrs when i got my CFI

Showoff. :D

...and I'm expecting to have somewhere between 320 and 330 hours when I get mine. (I've got 312.9 as I type this.) The difference, for me, is that I'm not going to build time just to disappear off to an airline job.

And I type this with about 263 TT, and will probably have somewhere a bit under 300 when I get my CFI. Got to go get my Comm Single & Multi done, and then get to work on CFI.

I'm also not doing it to build hours. People have been saying they want to take lessons from me. Same for instrument and multi. A number of them have more hours than I do, sometimes substantially more.

my point being is there is potential in every "250 hr wunderkid"

I prefer my CFI to be a push-over. I basically already know everything about airplanes and I just need them to sign my logbook with as few hours as possible.

That discribes a friend of mine exactly. He has 20 hrs of flight trainning and on a flight I took him on the guy that couldn't hold straight and level acted as if he didn't need me in the plane. I pray he never gets a licsense!!(nor is he EVERY GETTING NEAR A PLANE WITH ME AGAIN!!THIS WAS THE LEAST OF THE TRIP):mad2:

I look for a structured curriculum that is based on sound standards based principles that provides the appropriate references and performance based criteria for success.

What I look for in a CFI is a person that can adhere to the curriculum, understands the reasoning behind it, has the knowledge and experience to explain the how and why to a question, maneuver, or requirement.

And I want an instructor/teacher/coach that doesn't take me for my entire checkbook. I had one CFII that had me doing holds for lesson after lesson after lesson. And all the time telling me the correction heading. No matter how many times I asked/told him to stop telling me what to fly, he didn't. And I didn't stay his student long, either.

For some odd reason, he never contacted me and asked why I wasn't flying with him anymore. I "disappeared" off his schedule and he never wondered.

I want an instructor who pays attention. Afterall, I'm the one paying.

I want an instructor who is ready to schedule lessons, not one who says (after he takes the check) "I don't have my calendar with me right now, call me later (or send email)". Of course by the time I call or email, his schedule is booked.

I want an instructor who pays attention. Afterall, I'm the one paying.

I want an instructor who is ready to schedule lessons, not one who says (after he takes the check) "I don't have my calendar with me right now, call me later (or send email)". Of course by the time I call or email, his schedule is booked.
These two, to me, seem like basic customer service. The CFI should never forget that the student is his customer, and keep in mind that he's there to provide a service. This does not mean that he should not provide the best training he can, even when the student wants him to slack off. It does mean that there's more to it than simply getting in the airplane and teaching while flying.

Back