Instructional Philosophy

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
CFI's-Describe your instructional philosophy

Non CFI's - Describe what kind of instructional philosophy you look for in a CFI.

I look for a CFI that doesn't take other people's advice without looking up the "why" behind the reasoning....

Slips with flaps in a Cessna
Slipping Turns
Tight patterns vs. Large Patterns
Flying the step
Feathered vs. Not feathered in a failure
Can modern technology be used in lieu of older technology?

And finally, I look to make sure that the CFI and myself are compatible. There are a lot of CFIs that are just too uptight and not into having fun when they fly. Those CFIs don't work for me.

I make it so we're out to have fun. I hold tight on any matters of safety but otherwise, it's an open door on what it takes to enjoy the flight. I often say, "You're flying the airplane, I'm just along for the ride."

We have a syllabus for a first lesson but as far as I'm concerned, if that person needs more time to develop a comfort level for the plane, we'll take that time. I'll come up with some built-in maneuvers that won't really seem like me trying to teach them. I'll point to a water tower in the distance and ask them to "Fly to that tower but let's try to keep the horizon about 'this' much above the nose of the plane."

For some, they need to make it pretty mild. Others, they want it hard core or that's how they come across. Either way, they get things "fed" to them at a workable pace. Pretty early on (between the first three or four flights), we make it through aerodynamics, systems and instrumentation so they have a much better idea of what they see and why. Nothing is forced but standards are met or exceeded. As time and lessons move forward the expectations and standards increase as does performance.

I saw an article recently in an old copy of Mentor by a then-current student. He was upset because he saw instructors as tailoring training to meet the "national average" thereby unnecessarily lengthening training. While it would be nice to see students advance so well, it's not the norm. I've seen some come here and want to "fly everyday." We already know that's not a likely scenario so we pull them back to three times a week at most, especially in the beginning and if they have anything else at all taking up time in their life. My feeling is not to train "to meet requirements" but rather to train to proficiency that meets or exceeds standards.

If you produce a "molded pilot", that's what kind of pilot you'll allow to continue in their future training and future performance. They'll expect the minimum of themselves with the minimum provided to them. So, I'm all for giving it a lot, expecting a lot and in time cranking out a pilot who expects more of themselves.

I look for a CFI that doesn't take other people's advice without looking up the "why" behind the reasoning....

Slips with flaps in a Cessna
Slipping Turns
Tight patterns vs. Large Patterns
Flying the step
Feathered vs. Not feathered in a failure
Can modern technology be used in lieu of older technology?

And finally, I look to make sure that the CFI and myself are compatible. There are a lot of CFIs that are just too uptight and not into having fun when they fly. Those CFIs don't work for me.

I'm amazed that Nick's criteria match mine so well. I find it difficult to respect any CFI who refuses to consider ideas contrary to his current beliefs. I may learn something from such an instructor but I'm not likely to go back for more. "Because I know it is so" doesn't cut it for me. I also appreciate an instructor who has the ability and takes the time to understand my preferred ways of learning and adjust his methods to comply.

OK. I thought of some more answers. I prefer to have things explained as precisely as possible and in a logical manner. I know this isn't everyones instructional cup of tea but it's important to me. I also prefer to be allowed to make mistakes as long as our safety isn't compromised and the mistakes are brought to my attention should I fail to recognize them on my own. OTOH, I don't like to be placed in a situation where I stand no chance of being successful, I find that kind of "teaching" to be too frustrating.

If and when I ever become a CFI I know I'd be able to meet the requirements that Nick listed. I hope I'd be able to meet mine as well.

Last edited:
Going to the source material goes without question. That's just a given.

But mine is a bit different. A pilot (student) has to have a little fun every day. It can be acquisition of a new skill, 3 minutes looking at the planet from 1000 feet, a boatload of sweat and work followed by 3 minutes of something mastered, etc. But the student needs an itty bitty bit of fun EVERY day.

If today is not a day in which this will occur, NOT FLYING today. Today, then, maybe ground school.

Everything centers on "what's in your head today?" This is the difference between being an instructor, and being a teacher.

My job as CFI is to adapt to the student's intended mission and expectations.

A sharp young aspiring airline pilot is going to appreciate structure, CRM, and continuous challenge.

An older, "wanna fly the family to the shore one day" type is going to need confirmation and affirmation, without too much challenge before he's ready.

My "teaching philosophy" is truly student-dependent. I don't *need* the students, am instructing for experience and fun, and learn twice as much as they do.

As far as the usual old pilot debates -- if she wants to discuss, I'll discuss. What's far more important is the student think and express why she thinks "Slips are fine!" or "Pitch controls airspeed on final" rather than adopting the mantra. If she can't explain why she holds some old saw, then the challenge is to continue the questioning.

On some issues, I'll make sure the student is aware of ongoing (and yet unresolved) debates within the clan.

Overall my job as instructor is to move from instructor to coach in the shortest time possible. Until she's flying, the learning is limited.

Last edited:
One thing that's kind of been implied, but not outright stated, is that an instructor really doesn't "teach"...we present the information and/or skills in such a fashion that the student can grasp the concept or master the skill, but no matter what we do or say, the student isn't going to learn if they're not ready and/or willing to do so.

I also like to try to get the student to understand WHY we do things the way we do. Back when I was instructing in gliders, the students flew with a lot of different instructors, and I knew something that each of them taught differently than I did. When the student came out for the lesson, I'd look at their logbook and note that Chris had taught that maneuver last time, and I had taught it previously. So I'd have the student review that maneuver, among other things. Normally, they did it the way they were taught "last time", and I'd ask why they performed that maneuver in that manner. "Because Chris wanted me to do it that way."

"OK...How did I teach it when you did the maneuver with me?" And they'd describe my technique almost perfectly. My response was "I don't care which method you use...they both give the desired result, they're both safe, and they're both acceptable methods. But you will explain to me WHY you picked Chris' method or mine."

Seemed like the "Ah-Ha!" moments came more frequently that way.

Here's a concept I do not agree with. It may be more a flight school issue (sometimes under the guise of "insurance") than an individual CFI issue. My objection is to rigid guidelines as they relate to becoming "proficient" in a given skill. e.g. if you haven't flown glass before than you MUST fly (insert totally arbitrary number here) hours with our instructor to fly this mighty C172 with a Garmin 1000.
This type of flight instruction (civilian) is pretty much a 1:1 individual thing. If a pilot (through home study, simulator experience, incredible natural skill or whatever) can show competence in fewer hours then cut him loose.
Transitions to different types often also carry these arbitrary minimum hours. There are other examples as well.
As long as there aren't specific FAR listed hours then instructors hanging on to this concept are like those that say LOP operations will burn your exhaust valves (and there are a lot of those out there).

As far as the usual old pilot debates -- if she wants to discuss, I'll discuss. What's far more important is the student think and express why she thinks "Slips are fine!" or "Pitch controls airspeed on final" rather than adopting the mantra. If she can't explain why she holds some old saw, then the challenge is to continue the questioning.

On some issues, I'll make sure the student is aware of ongoing (and yet unresolved) debates within the clan.

I like that. Rather than spew out what someone told you, offer both sides along with your opinion and the reasons why you lean that way.

Transitions to different types often also carry these arbitrary minimum hours.
It's usually hard to blame this one on the individual instructor. It's usually an insurance thing (for example, Avemco's 5-hour dual transition minimum before solo in an LSA), and if not that, probably a school/FBO policy.

Instructional philosophy sounds a bit more well thought out than my teaching methods but here's a few comments on my style.

When working with people going for a new rating, I like to work from lesson plans. I have tried to keep my lesson plans up to date. I made complete ones for private, instrument and commercial. The one CFI, completed and the one I'm working on now use the Jepp syllabus. I give them out in stages and we work on the tasks until we get to a proficiency level appropriate for the stage.

I am a top down kind of guy. I like to start with an overview of the program, then define everything we're going to do in a stage then have fairly lengthy pre and post flight briefings. I schedule in 3 hr chunks so there's plenty of time to talk.

When I work with someone who is not going for a new rating from scratch it's a lot different. These people usually have an idea what needs to be done and how they want to proceed. Usually we start the process by email and try to figure out what we need to do and lay out a plan to do it. The first flight always contains an evaluation of where they are and how well that matches where they think they are.

Now comes the realization that everyone is different and the real trick to teaching is figuring out what they don't understand and how to explain it to them.

I had one primary student tell me "you have to explain it without numbers". We had a great time working out weight and balance and flight plans.

I've had a couple of PhD candidates in Aeronautical Engineering, (who are probably a lot like Lance) who have a blank stare when I give them my best simple, intuitive, well thought out explanations but the light bulb goes off if I write down an equation with a couple of integrals and half the Greek alphabet.

I also agree with Ken that it should be fun (at least most of the time). I try to keep in mind that these people are paying me to guide them and help them learn.

Joe

CFI's-Describe your instructional philosophy

Non CFI's - Describe what kind of instructional philosophy you look for in a CFI.
I look for a structured curriculum that is based on sound standards based principles that provides the appropriate references and performance based criteria for success.

What I look for in a CFI is a person that can adhere to the curriculum, understands the reasoning behind it, has the knowledge and experience to explain the how and why to a question, maneuver, or requirement.

It's usually hard to blame this one on the individual instructor. It's usually an insurance thing (for example, Avemco's 5-hour dual transition minimum before solo in an LSA), and if not that, probably a school/FBO policy.
and that's what I said, but I do get the tone in certain threads that certain CFIs feel their students need much more of their infinite experience and profound guidance than perhaps they really do. This is discouraging to the student.
Ken wrote earlier "I saw an article recently in an old copy of Mentor by a then-current student. He was upset because he saw instructors as tailoring training to meet the "national average" thereby unnecessarily lengthening training." and dismissed the comment out-of-hand. Well gee, maybe the guy was right. (Not to pick on you Ken; it's just an example of my gripe.)

and that's what I said, but I do get the tone in certain threads that certain CFIs feel their students need much more of their infinite experience and profound guidance than perhaps they really do. This is discouraging to the student.
Yeah, that bugs me, too. People learn at different speeds.

Ken wrote earlier "I saw an article recently in an old copy of Mentor by a then-current student. He was upset because he saw instructors as tailoring training to meet the "national average" thereby unnecessarily lengthening training." and dismissed the comment out-of-hand. Well gee, maybe the guy was right. (Not to pick on you Ken; it's just an example of my gripe.)
I'm still thinking about how I want to address the question, because it's central to how I'll approach teaching people to fly...but part of it, for me, is that the instruction must be tailored to the individual student. I know where Scott's coming from, and see why people want it. To me, though, it's like the old saying that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy: no structured curriculum should survive contact with the student. Trying to force everyone into the same mold leads to frustration.

My biggest wank over CFI's is you're taught the mininmum because they don't care,just building time. Two years later I have not seen what an accelerated stall is. How about behind the power curve?Why do flaps cause such drastic changes in pitch? How about the kick out method on crosswinds? I know all these things now but I learned them myself. I had a great flight instructor,best at the school. I just wish I was taught why insted of "do it this way always" I know getting a PP is the ticket to learning but I wish CFI's would put a little more into the understanding of flight.

I'm still thinking about how I want to address the question, because it's central to how I'll approach teaching people to fly...but part of it, for me, is that the instruction must be tailored to the individual student. I know where Scott's coming from, and see why people want it. To me, though, it's like the old saying that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy: no structured curriculum should survive contact with the student. Trying to force everyone into the same mold leads to frustration.
Did I leave the impression of one size fits all teaching? If I did that is not what I was getting at.

A sound curriculum means several things, one of which is that before you learn b you must know a. So if you are not proficient at a we do not move on and will work on a until you get it right. That can sometimes tax an instructor's abilities because they may only know one way to teach something as they do not understand the reasoning behind it. When that happens they skip to b, student is still not performing, continues to struggle, gets annoyed and takes up something else.

A good instructor will know the reasons and theory behind something and will adapt or change their teaching methods per the student's ability and background to learn.

A sound curriculum means several things, one of which is that before you learn b you must know a. So if you are not proficient at a we do not move on and will work on a until you get it right.
Okkay, I can see that. However, learning how to fly is not single-threaded. It can be beneficial to get away from a entirely and move on to k, which doesn't depend on a or b, and come back to a later once the student has had time to think about it and get some of the built-up frustration out of their system.

A good instructor will know the reasons and theory behind something and will adapt or change their teaching methods per the student's ability and background to learn.
This is a fundamental of instruction, and something that too many instructors don't think about. If the student's not learning, it's much more likely the instructor's fault than the student's.

Okkay, I can see that. However, learning how to fly is not single-threaded. It can be beneficial to get away from a entirely and move on to k, which doesn't depend on a or b, and come back to a later once the student has had time to think about it and get some of the built-up frustration out of their system.
No argument on that idea. I did not go into details but I would expect a modularized type of curriculum. That would avoid things like having a pilot that cannot fly straight and level working on cross country navigation.

This is a fundamental of instruction, and something that too many instructors don't think about. If the student's not learning, it's much more likely the instructor's fault than the student's.
I fully agree with that 99.9999% of the time. Every once and whole you run into people that just cannot learn.

Not one of those people but a good story nonetheless.

A couple of years ago I had a student, a 13 year old boy, that had a learning disability and was mildly autistic. He wanted to learn scuba and his parents enrolled him in a regular class. He failed. The boy did attend regular HS so they gave it a shot. They then hired me to give him private lessons.

The kid learned well enough until we need to do pool work, then he could not get to the bottom of the pool, he just could not clear his ears. I tried all kinds of things and just could not get him to clear. This went on for a couple of lessons until we had done all the shallow water skills. I consulted a couple of other instructors and they had no ideas either. Finally I asked one of my former students, who is now herself and instructor and specializes in working with kids, for help. She got in the pool with us and found the problem on the first dive.

He was just mimicking what I told him to do, she saw it immediately because of her experience with kids. I knew I was missing something with him. It was my fault and lack of experience with kids that caused us to slow down. After that we got him through the rest and out to the lake the following weekend.

No picking thought of...

What made me think about that article more was we had this guy come to us from another school. He'd had four lessons in an older round-gage aircraft. Here, he wants to fly glass. The problem was, he was trying to write the lessons for himself while placing limitations on what the instructor could do. I think some forget the liability instructors face. Instructors have only so much latitude if they are to do things with safety as the primary concern not to mention the future of their ticket and privilege to teach. As for that student, he went to a different instructor but that lasted only so long for the same reasons. Students need to understand there are reasons for doing certain things in a given fashion and instructors need to explain why.

I know there are a couple who were upset because I stated "fifteen hours" to fly a glass panel airplane. I'm not saying it's going to take that long for someone to meet "our requirement" but I will tell them to be prepared for that. When any student for any certificate or rating goes to an instructor for either more training or just starting out for that particular goal, they bring so much to the table. It's then the instructor who has to determine how much is placed on the table and what he or she has to work with. There's some guessing involved but mostly it comes from using the established standards as a guide and building from what the student offers. Like I said earlier, don't place a limit on yourself or the instructor... just work toward proficiency. That's almost like what I teach during emergency procedures... "Stop and wind the clock. Things will happen much faster and easier if you slow down and determine what needs to be done."

There's a lot to be said for "to proficiency", and in most cases I'm happy with that. HOWEVER...:rolleyes:

One of the things I feel that I need to see from a student is how they handle their mistakes. Sometimes we have to keep practicing a little longer, and sometimes I have to make the mistake for them, so that I can observe how they deal with it.

The best example from my experience as an instructor is a tailwheel endorsement...I know instructors who will sign off a tailwheel endorsement in as little as 3-5 hours on a regular basis, and I'm sure there are a few here.

Barring some extraordinary circumstances, I won't sign anybody off in less than 10 hours. Seems that the "quicker studies" go from me having to correct their mistakes, through doing everything so much by rote that they don't make serious mistakes, before getting comfortable enough to relax just a little more than they should and suddenly getting an odd bounce that takes them towards the rhubarb. I want to see what they do on the way to the rhubarb patch.

That does three things...it allows me to see how they handle a loss of control like they've never experienced before, but is far too common in taildraggers. (ever perused taildragger accidents in the NTSB reports?) It shows them how fast things can get ugly if they relax just that little bit too much. And it gives us the opportunity to apply, and then make a post-flight review of, techniques to minimize the impact (pun intended) of the loss of control...things that I've found very result in very limited comprehension when they're only dealt with in a theoretical mode.

Granted, I HAVE had a couple that were kicked out of the nest sooner...they were good sticks to start with, had good proficiency, I was able to instigate a deviation for them to deal with, and they handled it satisfactorily. But for the most part, I've found the 10-hour minimum to be necessary.

I look for instructors who really, really know how to fly. They've got lots of hours flying the planes I fly in all sorts of conditions (and other planes) with lots of experience that they can pass on to me. I want to learn from their experiences on how to best fly the airplane.

I also look for someone who understands what I need out of instruction (a rigid structure is not part of it).

The key for me, though, is for it to be student-focused and to provide that student what he or she needs in order to become a safe, proficient pilot with a high skill level. The hard part is identifying what exactly it is that each student needs and tailoring accordingly. Compatibility is a requirement.

Honestly - I'm a pain in the ass as a student sometimes, and there have even been times I've told a CFI that right up front.

Why? Because I want to know WHY. Don't tell me to do something a certain way without telling me why. I always told my own trainees on the first day that "if I ever tell you to do something a certain way and I don't tell you why, or you don't understand why, I want you to ask me why. Because some time in the future, someone is going to tell you that you should do it their way. Their way may or may not be better than mine, but if you know WHY to do it my way, you can ask them why they think you should do it their way, and then come to an educated conclusion on your own."

That is what I look for in a CFI. Some CFI's get frustrated with me because they're not used to being challenged. The majority of CFI's I do just fine with, and I learn a lot from, simply because they know "why" and can always explain it.

I also look for CFI's who are still "students of the craft" themselves, and always learning more from many other sources to improve both their flying and their teaching skills. The CFII I use here in Madison, Joe Burger is that way. Many people accuse him of being "too thorough" but I always know that when I fly with Joe I am going to be challenged on every single flight and I am going to learn something on every single flight, and I will be a better pilot after every single flight. And what I learn isn't always what I intended to learn - Early on in my instrument training with Joe, I was learning new things about preflighting an airplane on almost every flight - Joe used to own an airplane and could catch lots of things that aren't in any POH.

Tony Condon is also an excellent example of this, you probably see him ask as many questions as he answers here on the board and I have a great deal of respect for that. He has methods and insights that have made me look back and say "wow, that was ****ing BRILLIANT!" afterwards. In that way, I not only learn about my own flying, I learn about teaching people about flying, which will be valuable someday when I'm a CFI.

A good personal connection definitely helps too - Both Joe and Tony are people that I've had dinner and beers with quite a few times. In fact, now that I think about it, both have sought to instruct me - Joe calls me up every few months and says "Hey, want to go fly the sim at Morey?" or something like that. Tony even called me up and said "Hey, want to do your commercial this weekend?" :rofl: That also is a good thing, because I'm not someone who necessarily goes in search of instruction all that often, but when it's offered or suggested, I usually jump at the chance.

That said, I think most CFI's are pretty good. I've only ever been really disappointed with one after flying with them that I can think of, and there's only a couple that I've talked to on the ground and quietly decided that I wouldn't fly with them.

All is not roses, however... Rant in the next post. ;)

Some CFI's get frustrated with me because they're not used to being challenged.
Why don't you go down to SimCom with me next time? I've only ever gotten one instructor to walk out on me, and that was the last day of class.:devil:

(actually, that was a trip to FlightSafety, but a 142 school is a 142 school...)

There's a lot to be said for "to proficiency", and in most cases I'm happy with that. HOWEVER...:rolleyes:

One of the things I feel that I need to see from a student is how they handle their mistakes. Sometimes we have to keep practicing a little longer, and sometimes I have to make the mistake for them, so that I can observe how they deal with it.

We would have been a good match. I learned how to handle mistakes long before I learned how to avoid them.

Why don't you go down to SimCom with me next time? I've only ever gotten one instructor to walk out on me, and that was the last day of class.:devil:

(actually, that was a trip to FlightSafety, but a 142 school is a 142 school...)

A friend of mine got one of the more rigid SimCom instructors to yell at him "If you fly like that you're going to kill yourself" because my friend preferred to climb his airplane off the runway at speeds above Vy to keep the CHTs under control and to be able to see the horizon. Most of the instructors I've had there were reasonably flexible but some were rather stuck in their ways. I could still learn something from the stiff ones but it wasn't as much fun.

Tony Condon is also an excellent example of this, you probably see him ask as many questions as he answers here on the board and I have a great deal of respect for that. He has methods and insights that have made me look back and say "wow, that was ****ing BRILLIANT!" afterwards. In that way, I not only learn about my own flying, I learn about teaching people about flying, which will be valuable someday when I'm a CFI.

examples?

I prefer my CFI to be a push-over. I basically already know everything about airplanes and I just need them to sign my logbook with as few hours as possible.

I prefer my CFI to be a push-over. I basically already know everything about airplanes and I just need them to sign my logbook with as few hours as possible.

That's why you fly with Tony, right?:D

A great instructor once advised me, in regards to teaching, "Tell them what you're gonna tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you told them".

This was for lectures but it fits for most instructing.

Great thread Tony. Lots of good instructors and potential instructors here.

Here's a concept I do not agree with. It may be more a flight school issue (sometimes under the guise of "insurance") than an individual CFI issue. My objection is to rigid guidelines as they relate to becoming "proficient" in a given skill. e.g. if you haven't flown glass before than you MUST fly (insert totally arbitrary number here) hours with our instructor to fly this mighty C172 with a Garmin 1000.
This type of flight instruction (civilian) is pretty much a 1:1 individual thing. If a pilot (through home study, simulator experience, incredible natural skill or whatever) can show competence in fewer hours then cut him loose.
Transitions to different types often also carry these arbitrary minimum hours. There are other examples as well.
As long as there aren't specific FAR listed hours then instructors hanging on to this concept are like those that say LOP operations will burn your exhaust valves (and there are a lot of those out there).

Most of the negative feelings I have about flight schools come from the school's policies, not from the CFI's. I went looking for a flight school where I thought I would be allowed to learn in the manner I wanted, and luckily I was able to find one nearby.

Here's what the good flight school's policies are: Grass and private fields are allowed, go/no-go and basically all other decisions are entirely up to the PIC, renters are covered as named insured, NO minimum hourly fee on overnights, and they have reasonable prices and good CFI's. The ability to fly into grass strips was one of the main reasons I went to this FBO - I wanted to learn how to land on grass, and be able to stay proficient at it, just in case the big fan up front quit one day and I had to do it for real. I wanted to be as comfortable as possible in that situation.

Another flight school I looked at had okay prices, but the worst policies I've ever seen: Separate checkouts for day, night, VFR, and IFR; have to fly one of their planes every *60* days (90's pretty standard I think, but 60? Come on), you're on the hook if someone breaks into the airplane... If you go on a cross country (even if you're an ATP!) you have to submit your flight plan to them (though I see they finally got rid of the requirement that one of their CFI's had to sign off on it), you have to call them if there will be any changes, you have to file a flight plan for any cross country, you can only land at paved strips, IFR is only allowed for climbing through a layer to clear on-top conditions and you have to fly a visual approach, night VFR requires an instrument rating, and there's a 2-hour minimum on weekdays and 3-hour minimum on weekends for any rental of 4 hours or more. What a crock! As a result, I never rented from them and I never will.

I used to work at an FBO that was kind of in between, and it was kind of sad - I'd see people work toward their private pilot certificates, and after their checkride was over I'd never see them again. :( At the good FBO above, I see lots of people continue flying. I can't believe the bad FBO, and I think their policies not only create bad pilots and don't encourage real learning, they are bad for GA overall. Somebody's gotta keep the small and/or grass strips going!

examples?

Well, for example on the CFIcast, there was a time talking about go/no-go decisions or something like that and you mentioned that if a student gets to go fly every single time they go to the airport, the law of primacy (and the law of exercise) will lead that student to be less likely to ever make a no-go decision after getting to the airport. Not even close to a direct quote, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

Another was that flight in the 182RG with you, me, and Matt S. After listening to the somewhat heated debate between two others on another CFIcast, you solved the problem in a way that didn't set a bad example, was legal, and still got the job done in terms of learning how to deal with the situation.

Most of all, you make a good teacher because you've continued learning. :yes:

I know you're probably joking here, but there are honestly times when I do seek out instructors for that reason (I have a few on my list of go tos when I need something).

If I need a quick insurance checkout, for example, I'll use the pushover CFI. If I've been flying a whole bunch but need to get a BFR anyway (happened 2 times now), I know who to call.

But when I really want to learn something, I look for my previously mentioned qualities.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You make a good point, Jesse. You already have the t-shirt, and can fly into space in X-Plane. What else do you need?

To a serious note: If I go up with a CFI and don't learn something, I've wasted my money. Part of what I love about flying with my CFI is that I've never once gone up with him and not learned something. The CFI I flew with last weekend in the Aztec I learned from, and he reinforced a couple of good philosophies in my mind.

My job as CFI is to adapt to the student's intended mission and expectations.

A sharp young aspiring airline pilot is going to appreciate structure, CRM, and continuous challenge.

An older, "wanna fly the family to the shore one day" type is going to need confirmation and affirmation, without too much challenge before he's ready.

My "teaching philosophy" is truly student-dependent. I don't *need* the students, am instructing for experience and fun, and learn twice as much as they do.

Overall my job as instructor is to move from instructor to coach in the shortest time possible. Until she's flying, the learning is limited.
Here is part of the problem. All of my instructors have looked and saw a 'fat old woman who wants to fly out to see the grandchildren'. They should have realized this is a serious student who wants to be the best pilot around and who would have appreciated structure, CRM, and a deep understanding of aerodynamics. Discussions of how and why airplanes perform as they do are much more valuable than me defending my position on some old saw. I am capable of so much more than has been asked of me or taught to me. My grandchildren suffer from my ignorance.

My best instructor did not give me any of the above but at least he gave me the permission, and thus the confidence, to experiment and find out what I could do and what the plane could do. As a result, I can fly one airplane.

Here is part of the problem. All of my instructors have looked and saw a 'fat old woman who wants to fly out to see the grandchildren'. They should have realized this is a serious student who wants to be the best pilot around and who would have appreciated structure, CRM, and a deep understanding of aerodynamics. Discussions of how and why airplanes perform as they do are much more valuable than me defending my position on some old saw. I am capable of so much more than has been asked of me or taught to me. My grandchildren suffer from my ignorance.

My best instructor did not give me any of the above but at least he gave me the permission, and thus the confidence, to experiment and find out what I could do and what the plane could do. As a result, I can fly one airplane.

Peggy -- please don't confuse my prototypical examples with prejudice.

I don't tailor the training but what I see, but what I hear from the student.

There's a world of difference.

I really like this discussion. I'm learning. Thanks Tony!
This is an easy trap to fall into. For the most part CFIs spend their time working with people learning new skills. It's easy to delude yourself that you know what you're doing.

I'm lucky being one of the few CFIs in SoCal with a T28 rating, I get to fly with people who have more experience and are better pilots than I'll ever be. They have done a lot to keep my opinion of my skills realistic.

Students teach me more that I teach them.
Ken wrote earlier "I saw an article recently in an old copy of Mentor by a then-current student. He was upset because he saw instructors as tailoring training to meet the "national average" thereby unnecessarily lengthening training." and dismissed the comment out-of-hand.
Frankly, I agree that cirricula should be developed for the "average" person. I don't see how that affects people who are faster or slower learners. I do one on one instruction with no time constraints. I brief at least one lesson ahead. If you can do 2 or 3 lessons in one flight, good for you. If you take 2 or 3 flights to do one lesson, so what
I've seen some come here and want to "fly everyday." We already know that's not a likely scenario so we pull them back to three times a week at most, especially in the beginning and if they have anything else at all taking up time in their life. My feeling is not to train "to meet requirements" but rather to train to proficiency that meets or exceeds standards.
I guess I'm a little confused. What's wrong with flying everyday? Perhaps you are talking about a primary student with a job.

I had a gentleman last summer who got his instrument rating in a month, including about 15 hrs required cross country. We scheduled 5 days a week. He broke the club record for biggest bill in a month (a bit less than $5000) but came out a very good instrument pilot at the checkride.

To me, though, it's like the old saying that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy: no structured curriculum should survive contact with the student. Trying to force everyone into the same mold leads to frustration.
Excellent, I will steal that line.
But again I do feel a structured curriculum is the best starting point.

My biggest wank over CFI's is you're taught the mininmum because they don't care,just building time. Two years later I have not seen what an accelerated stall is. How about behind the power curve?Why do flaps cause such drastic changes in pitch? How about the kick out method on crosswinds? I know all these things now but I learned them myself. I had a great flight instructor,best at the school. I just wish I was taught why insted of "do it this way always" I know getting a PP is the ticket to learning but I wish CFI's would put a little more into the understanding of flight.
This one deserves a much longer response but right now the point I'd like to discuss is "where to stop".

I am not a teach to the minimums kind of guy but as I gain more experience I find my expectations are being lowered rather than raised. I started a short 6 years ago with the idea that I would discuss everything with my primary students, boy was I naive.

I try to go into as much depth as the student wants/need/gets but a big part of my responsibility is to control (the student's) costs balanced with wanting to discuss everything.

Ted's list is something that I do discuss and demonstrate everything on it but the crab and kick. I do explain why I don't like it.

Peg,
This is a situation that is partly your responsibility.

My experience was that I accepted poor instruction in the beginning because I didn't know any better. I was learning, not having much fun, not getting what I wanted, but I thought it was my fault I just needed to work harder.

The more I flew with different instructors the more I realized the wide variation in quality of instruction and the importance of someone who communicates with me and the unimportance of what they can do with the plane when I'm not in it. Every instructor has taught me something, it's just that from some of them all I learned is how not to present a topic.

During the first lesson with every student I stress the importance of feedback. I do my best to read their minds and see what makes sense and what doesn't, to see what is a challenge and what is easy but I am just not a very good mentalist.

I look at each student each flight as being at a particular skill level. If todays lesson is way below that level they get bored. If it is way above that level they get frustrated. The way we learn a physical and mental skill like flying is work very close to edge. And that edge moves every day. What is easy on a good day is impossible on a bad day and vice versa.

Students need to have as much input into the curriculum as the instructors and control the lessons. Now this doesn't mean that I have to fly with the "don't touch or say anything, just sign my logbook when we're done" kind of guy.

Joe

Looking back, I was lucky to have had the primary instructor that I did. However, that was just by chance. The things he taught me went way beyond any private pilot curriculum, although I didn't realize it at the time. He was also very enthusiastic about flying and showed me many destinations and fun activities I could do. He also challenged me quite a bit. We flew in the rain, in strong winds, to short obstructed runways, in IMC, and in the Sierras. He also taught me how to spin and recover as well as talking me through an ILS approach. This was all before I got my private. I realize that people will think that was overkill, but don't remember being in that much of a hurry to take the test. In fast I really procrastinated about taking the written and left it to the very end. This approach would not have worked with a highly structured hurry-up-and-get-it-done type student. I don't know whether my CFI tailored my instruction to me or whether he was that was with all students. I certainly don't remember having any discussions of that type with him. Maybe someday I'll ask him since I still talk to him from time to time... 30 years later.

As far as myself as an instructor, I don't think I ever really hit my stride. I only instructed full time for about 6 months and sporadically for a few more years. I never felt like a got much guidance but I tried to do the best that I could, taking the good and bad examples of previous instructors into consideration. I learned a lot, even in my short time as an instructor and it has helped me in later years in flying with pilots new to the jets. Someday maybe I'd like to get back into instructing but I have to admit I don't have a clue how to do that.

One of the things I learned that were surprising to me at the time, probably because I was young and had not done any previous teaching, is that people are very different in their personalities and their native abilities. Some people have good hand-eye coordination and are good sticks. Some are not. Some people really take to the book-learning. Others don't. There also doesn't seem to be too much correlation between the two. People also range from one end to the other on the self-confidence scale. As others have said, instructors need to tailor their approach based on the student's background, abilities and goals. Another thing I learned, is that there are some eyebrow-raising bad pilots out there... even though this was years before the magenta line. ;)

I think my one pet peeve as a student, which I try not to repeat as an instructor, is instructors that talk too much. Sure, demo the maneuver, then talk me through it, but after that, let me do it on my own. When someone is trying to cue me all the time I feel like a voice-activated autopilot and I am not thinking on my own. I know it can be frustrating to the instructor to sit there quietly if the student (or my new flying buddy) isn't doing something quick enough or perfectly enough, but you need to let them try, at least to the extent that it is safe. I know that I have used the phrase, "no let me do it myself," often recently in school when learning how to program a new-to-me FMS.

What is the instructional philosophy at simulator level training, like Flight Safety or Simuflite? Do they try at all to tailor to the personality/experience/skills of the student, or do they treat everyone the same?

I really like this discussion. I'm learning. Thanks Tony!
Ditto!

Students teach me more that I teach them.
Very true. I've said before how it had been told to me I would never learn as much as when I began teaching. That's another part of what makes this fun as a full-time job.

Frankly, I agree that curricula should be developed for the "average" person. I don't see how that affects people who are faster or slower learners. I do one on one instruction with no time constraints. I brief at least one lesson ahead. If you can do 2 or 3 lessons in one flight, good for you. If you take 2 or 3 flights to do one lesson, so what
I have have students going both paths. It works well for them so why interfere. If I push someone who isn't ready for more, they'll likely be scared away. So, it's the pace they choose or if we come to an agreement on what works best, we'll use that.

I guess I'm a little confused. What's wrong with flying everyday? Perhaps you are talking about a primary student with a job.

I had a gentleman last summer who got his instrument rating in a month, including about 15 hrs required cross country. We scheduled 5 days a week. He broke the club record for biggest bill in a month (a bit less than $5000) but came out a very good instrument pilot at the checkride.
In many cases, they student is also a college student or works another job. In cases of those wanting to be full-time flight students, let's first see how well they study and train.

At some point this year, we'll start bringing in international students. What I don't want is us to become like a school I experienced early on. I saw that school as nothing more than a ticket mill and a cash cow for the owners. Students did fly everyday or nearly everyday. The problem was, they had next to no ground knowledge and were allowed to continue flying while not having a clue what was going on in the airplane. The worst part about that situation is those five students I dealt with had been through a structured ground school and had test scores of 80+. Yet, they couldn't explain the instrumentation in the most basic terms. Two of them should have been doing their solo cross country flights and another had began local solo. One was demanding I endorse them for solo XC; not a chance.

It makes no sense to me to send a student forward when they don't have the prerequisite knowledge to understand what's happening in the airplane when turned loose on solo flight. Frankly, that's foolish and it's a huge liability on the instructor and school.

This is where setting reasonable goals to meet throughout training is important. I'm here to produce a competent pilot, not a cash cow for building flight time and billable hours.

Back