Installing instruments?

The correct crimpers and wire strippers are important for quality install. Not to mention modifying the existing wire bundle in you aircraft. And, if it's an older aircraft, God only knows what kind of rats nest you're
Gonna run into once you dig into the panel. I've done a couple of IFR GPS installs. And, I wouldn't recommend it as a do-it-yourself project on a certified aircraft.

I'm not sure why you are concerned with GNS becoming unsupported in its practical lifespan, [...]

'Concern' is the wrong expression, it's just that it will certainly end sooner than for the 650. That a used GNS will more likely require a pricey repair than a new GTN, which is also covered by a warranty, is however indeed a risk I see, which would also further reduce the already pretty small savings.

IMHO, the potentially saved costs by installing a used GNS4x unit instead of a new GTN6x are too small to outweigh the disadvantages and risks related to it. Particularly, if the costs for the installation are also taken into consideration, which are pretty much the same for both units.

'Concern' is the wrong expression, it's just that it will certainly end sooner than for the 650. That a used GNS will more likely require a pricey repair than a new GTN, which is also covered by a warranty, is however indeed a risk I see, which would also further reduce the already pretty small savings.

IMHO, the potentially saved costs by installing a used GNS4x unit instead of a new GTN6x are too small to outweigh the disadvantages and risks related to it. Particularly, if the costs for the installation are also taken into consideration, which are pretty much the same for both units.

The likelihood of me owning a plane long enough to get to either unit's obsolescence is the same. They both meet the exact same function, and Garmin even gave a cheap upgrade to the GNS boxes with the Flightstream 210 integration giving them GTN style control architecture not only on your portable running Garmin software, but is even allowing ForeFlight to tap into it.

There is no currently known system upgrade requirements, and any unforeseen advances will affect both units. I just don't foresee Garmin giving up support of the WAAS GNS boxes or at least a decade if something unforeseen doesn't arise.

Back