Installation Costs Rule of Thumb?

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
Long term planning here. What rule of thumb should I use for labor costs? For example, if I install $50,000 of Garmin products in the panel, what should I think about for labor?

5 year plan for after I retire, so need to start saving / getting finances in order. Buy a plane like a 182. Get a decent frame, decent time left on engine but with ancient avionics. Rip out the panel and replace almost all of it.

Glass, GTN 650, new auto pilot, new transponder, etc. and get it IFR capable. Would need engine sensors and a bunch of things I'm not even aware of.

Probably keep it for 10 or 15 years? That would put me at late 70's so who knows if I'll still be flying.

I have no delusion that putting this panel in would have anything to do with cost effectiveness. Just a way to get a fresh panel with IFR capabilities and enjoy flying places.

Maybe things are cheaper if you're gutting everything and buying a whole panel's worth, but for me, installed price was about 1.7x MSRP.

putting a bunch of things together saves a bunch too vs one thing at a time.

i am not going to give the price because my installer specifically asked me not to, but you will get some idea on hrs spent:

rip out GPS, MFD, all crappy wires, Century 2000 AP, vacuum system, hobbs
install GTN 750, Garmin audio panel, GFC 500 AP (3 Servo) = 100 hrs

did not pay retail price on the units either

What rule of thumb should I use for labor costs?
FWIW: Too many variables. Every maintenance provider is different when it comes to rates vs services vs location. In some cases they're not even close. When I would research a mx project for a customer would look for the right shop/provider based on the product we needed and the services they provided at the location(s) desired. Then select the best deal for the circumstances. Since your in the research phase, determine your possible requirements and forward them to the places you believe you may use then use that data to create a baseline.

70-100% of the value of the units being installed is probably a good "rule of thumb." Lots and lots and lots of variables, but that'll at least get you in the ballpark for big-picture budgeting purposes.

70-100% of the value of the units being installed is probably a good "rule of thumb." Lots and lots and lots of variables, but that'll at least get you in the ballpark for big-picture budgeting purposes.
dont know where you are, out here in the boondocks, a GPS/Nav/Com install is flat 3k - be it 175 or 750

dont know where you are, out here in the boondocks, a GPS/Nav/Com install is flat 3k - be it 175 or 750
You'd never get it done for that around here for a GTN750.

As was said, there are too many variables. A $1,500 audio panel may cost $2,000 for harness and install, where a $16,000 GTN750 may cost $2,000 for harness and install. A $12,000 Dynon Skyview basic system may cost $4,000 to install, where a $1,700 Engine Monitor Add-on may cost $1,500 to install. A $2,000 Dynon auto pilot (Cessa 172) costs about $2,000 to install, where a $6,300 Dynon auto pilot (Bonanza) costs about $3,000 to install. Again, lots of variables. Installing one thing may require taking off more panels where installing something else may not require any removals. Installing 2 things at the same time that may require the same panels to be removed may save some time as a combined installation.

One thing that has come up several times in the past is that people will buy equipment here and there, then call a shop to arrange to get it installed. Many shops won't install equipment that they don't sell you. You're almost always better off saving the money over time than buying the equipment as you get the money, then do the job all at once, or in a couple of phases, which plans for future phases in earlier phases of the install.

I was just assuming buying a plane, flying it directly to the panel person, write a big check for all the stuff, and then come back in a month or two to pick it up. Buy it all at once.

As was said, there are too many variables. A $1,500 audio panel may cost $2,000 for harness and install, where a $16,000 GTN750 may cost $2,000 for harness and install. A $12,000 Dynon Skyview basic system may cost $4,000 to install, where a $1,700 Engine Monitor Add-on may cost $1,500 to install. A $2,000 Dynon auto pilot (Cessa 172) costs about $2,000 to install, where a $6,300 Dynon auto pilot (Bonanza) costs about $3,000 to install. Again, lots of variables. Installing one thing may require taking off more panels where installing something else may not require any removals. Installing 2 things at the same time that may require the same panels to be removed may save some time as a combined installation.

One thing that has come up several times in the past is that people will buy equipment here and there, then call a shop to arrange to get it installed. Many shops won't install equipment that they don't sell you. You're almost always better off saving the money over time than buying the equipment as you get the money, then do the job all at once, or in a couple of phases, which plans for future phases in earlier phases of the install.

The "while you're in there" work will add up, too :)

The quotes I got locally a few years ago for a audio panel install were eye opening because of the disparity. I think shop rates and experience will alter the quote more than anything else. I've seen people on here that were given "pay me a lot of extra hours to learn on your install" quotes.

The quotes I got locally a few years ago for a audio panel install were eye opening because of the disparity. I think shop rates and experience will alter the quote more than anything else. I've seen people on here that were given "pay me a lot of extra hours to learn on your install" quotes.

Audio panels are particularly labor intensive because they touch everything and small install errors can lead to big problems (interference, humming, etc.). In some respects, it may be easier to install a GTN750 than an audio panel.

Audio panels are particularly labor intensive because they touch everything and small install errors can lead to big problems (interference, humming, etc.). In some respects, it may be easier to install a GTN750 than an audio panel.

Oh, I get that. The shop that did mine said the same thing. The quotes I got for the same install varied quite a bit from one shop to another.

Back