Insight G4 vs JPI 900

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am about to install an Insight G4 and my shop is suggesting that I might consider a JPI 900 as it is a primary replacement for pretty much everything.

Has anyone installed one of these? Comments?

With the G4, it would be to the left of my turn coordinator and very visible. I think the JPI would have to go on the right side of the panel, which is not very visible (and a major reason for a new engine monitor). I currently have an older GEM 610 to the lower right of my throttle.

Is the G4 approved as a primary replacement for more than EGT/CHT? The JPI 900 definitely is. I'm not sure your comparison is apples to apples.

I looked at a 900 and almost went that way. The E.I. CGR-30P monitor is too small to have so much info displayed but a lot of guys are going that way. The same may be true of the G4 but if it isn't approved primary you'll have to leave many of your old instruments in.

Can't help you on the 2 you want to compare, but I do love my CGR-30P.

I have an JPI 830, but I'm going to be putting in the MVP-50 which is STC'd for primary on my plane. It will replace all the Bonanza engine gauges I currently.

Is the G4 approved as a primary replacement for more than EGT/CHT? The JPI 900 definitely is. I'm not sure your comparison is apples to apples.

I looked at a 900 and almost went that way. The E.I. CGR-30P monitor is too small to have so much info displayed but a lot of guys are going that way. The same may be true of the G4 but if it isn't approved primary you'll have to leave many of your old instruments in.

The G4 would not be primary except for CHT/EGT. A few people have suggested keeping my old analog gauges even with the JPI 900 since not a lot else can fit there on the Dakota and if the JPI fails, without the analog gauges, the plane is grounded.

Another suggestion for MVP-50. It is STC primary in the Dakota and EI is easy to deal with on parameters.

Ya, I my radio shop actually advised me away from the 900 for the failure potential but that was years ago when it first came out. I don't buy that logic anymore. I would buffer any computerized instrument by having it on an avionics master or on a separate buffered power source. My G3X Touch will connect to a TCW Technologies IBBS battery backup/power supply for that reason, just like my computer is plugged into a UPS to protect it from surges and power drops. I really like the primary replacement thing.

Ya, I my radio shop actually advised me away from the 900 for the failure potential but that was years ago when it first came out. I don't buy that logic anymore. I would buffer any computerized instrument by having it on an avionics master or on a separate buffered power source. My G3X Touch will connect to a TCW Technologies IBBS battery backup/power supply for that reason, just like my computer is plugged into a UPS to protect it from surges and power drops. I really like the primary replacement thing.
How would you monitor oil pressure if the only gauge is unpowered until you turn on the avionics master?

Me? I already stated my G3X is powered through a buffered battery source, but I'm EX. If I was certificated I'd turn on the av master fairly quickly.

How would you monitor oil pressure if the only gauge is unpowered until you turn on the avionics master?
Newbie here, but why would have the avoinics master off while flying??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Newbie here, but why would have the avoinics master off while flying??

Because when you start the plane on the ground, the avionics are off and the first thing you are looking for after it starts is oil pressure.

Because when you start the plane on the ground, the avionics are off and the first thing you are looking for after it starts is oil pressure.
Ha, yeah, makes sense

Anyone have a 900 installed? I have an EDM 711 and it is wired to the av master and it takes a minute or so to power up. My oil instrument is Aerospace Logic and it's on the master. How are the "all in one" instruments powered? The reason my G3X is on a buffered power supply is to prevent data loss during engine start power fluctuations.

Anyone have a 900 installed? I have an EDM 711 and it is wired to the av master and it takes a minute or so to power up. My oil instrument is Aerospace Logic and it's on the master. How are the "all in one" instruments powered? The reason my G3X is on a buffered power supply is to prevent data loss during engine start power fluctuations.

I have a EDM 900 installed in a Centurion, like it a lot so far. Ordered at Oshkosh last summer and installed along with a new engine in November. It comes on as soon as the master switch is turned on. And it is installed on the left side of the radio stack.

I had two EI transducers fail in flight on my previous Mooney, no back-up power source will save those from failing. The oil pressure and fuel flow both crapped out and had to be replaced after 4 years in the plane @ $550 each. The oil pressure failure caused the biggest scare in flight as it would fluctuate between extreme high (+145 psi) and zero....so I'm a big fan of leaving the mechanical instruments in there as a back-up. The EI oil pressure/oil temperature gauge is certified as a stand alone primary, so I foolishly had the mechanical gauge removed....should have left it in as a back-up... :eek:

Not putting all my eggs in one basket anymore. YMMV....

Brian

I've been using a G3 in my 206 for the last couple years, kept all my original gauges, the G3 just failed, glad I kept my gauges!!!

Was pretty disappointed it died in under 2 years, what is worse is I called Insight because I thought it was still under warranty. they confirmed it was still under warranty but were so backed up with warranty repairs (so they just don't replace a failed unit?) and the shop was down indefinitely so don't send it in now, can't tell you when you'll get it back!! Then I asked why not send me a replacement? they said they had a good show at Sun and fun and couldn't keep up with the orders so all new units were going to new customer sales instead of honoring warranty claims from current customers!! Might be going to JPI, or EI this kind of service is nuts.

Thread resurrection.

Any more reviews on the Insight G4? About to pull the trigger on putting one in the Seneca and have seen a few negative comments on here and other places. I was hoping that it was the "only people with bad experiences write reviews" phenomena.

I'm mostly leaning towards it because everything is in one gauge and the round form factor will allow it to fit neatly in the panel.

@DesertNomad did you ever install the G4? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Might be going to JPI, or EI this kind of service is nuts.

Ha. My avionics shop likes the JPI units, but told me to stay away from JPI because of poor customer service. Says they’re the hardest to deal with of any brand they service.

Thread resurrection.

Any more reviews on the Insight G4? About to pull the trigger on putting one in the Seneca and have seen a few negative comments on here and other places. I was hoping that it was the "only people with bad experiences write reviews" phenomena.

I'm mostly leaning towards it because everything is in one gauge and the round form factor will allow it to fit neatly in the panel.

@DesertNomad did you ever install the G4? Thoughts?
I have the Twin G4 like you’d get. It does it’s job well. Downloading is easy and uploading to Savvy to view is nice. After 3 years or so the probes started going one by one. Think I’m up to 4 now.

That being said, if I had it to do over, I would have installed a JPI960 and replaced all the old factory gauges/get the fuel/oil out of the cockpit.

I have the Twin G4 like you’d get. It does it’s job well. Downloading is easy and uploading to Savvy to view is nice. After 3 years or so the probes started going one by one. Think I’m up to 4 now.

That being said, if I had it to do over, I would have installed a JPI960 and replaced all the old factory gauges/get the fuel/oil out of the cockpit.

Thanks for the PIREP. I looked at some of the bigger rectangular ones and I didn’t see a way of making it fit without a bunch of cutting or moving stuff around (or having it somewhere where I couldn’t really see it).

I think the long range goal would be to do a full Dynon panel and go fresh, but that’ll be a few years down the road I think. If the G4 can get me to there, I’d be happy.

Back