Inside wing photos...

agidi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CapTonka
Hi guys.

We removed an inspection port and shot some photos.:eek:
Theres dust and, white specs, whats your take on this wing?
Risk? no risk? Skin? no skin? all comments appreciated:confused:
Cessna 182N

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Looks typical. Notice the white powderish stuff coming from the seams of the lap joints where skin lays over the ribs stringers and spars, and around the rivets.

I have pictures of way worse.

Yes, typical Cessna. You could spray some ACF-50 in there but to be honest there's no way you're going to be able to coat everything through the inspection holes so it's mostly a "feel good" action. It will continue to worsen at a rate dependent on the environment in which your aircraft lives but it's not going to rot away before your eyes. At least not in the span of time that you're going to own it.

Hi, thanks

This is a plane that has 15 years in a semi humid environment (not coastal) hangared, and its being moved to a itch giving sking burning, dry, hell like :mad3: environment.

Should we treat?

Hi, thanks

This is a plane that has 15 years in a semi humid environment (not coastal) hangared, and its being moved to a itch giving sking burning, dry, hell like :mad3: environment.

Should we treat?

Unless you want to remove them and have them rebuilt for about ?$4k? per wing. They come back corrosion proofed FWIW.

Hi, thanks

Should we treat?

If its a hot and dry environment, the corrosion should slow way down.

I wouldn't worry about it, as Modified says, there's much worse out there to be seen.

Harbor freight paint sprayer to fog some ACF50 or Corrosion X in there would help prevent further deterioration.

How do you folks read the yellowish stuff on the longeron? Is that from moisture sitting on top of it or possibly condensation collecting on the bottom?

Is the yellow stuff different/worse than the white stuff?

I am curious (yellow)

How do you folks read the yellowish stuff on the longeron? Is that from moisture sitting on top of it or possibly condensation collecting on the bottom?

Is the yellow stuff different/worse than the white stuff?

I am curious (yellow)

I would have to see it in person but I'm guessing thats some lube or other product that was spryed on something..

Was the airplane stripped and repainted recently?

Looks typical to me, treat it if you want, ignore it if you don't.

The yellow stuff looks like old lube but it is near impossible to tell from a picture.

Yea looks pretty normal for that aircraft. I wouldn't worry about it. From AC43-13
6-12. GENERAL SURFACE CORROSION.
General surface corrosion (also referred
to as Uniform Etch or Uniform Attack
Corrosion) is the most common form of corrosion
and results from a direct chemical attack
on a metal surface and involves only the metal
surface. (See figure 6-4.) General surface corrosion
usually occurs over a wide area and is
more or less equal in dispersion. On a polished
surface, this type of corrosion is first
seen as a general dulling of the surface, and if
allowed to continue, the surface becomes
rough and possibly frosted in appearance. The
discoloration or general dulling of metal created
by exposure to elevated temperatures is
not to be considered general surface corrosion

Last edited:
ACF50 will creep all over the inside of that wing if it's fogged in there. I prefer Dinitrol, myself, since it turns waxy after a while and stays put.

Dan

ACF50 will creep all over the inside of that wing if it's fogged in there. I prefer Dinitrol, myself, since it turns waxy after a while and stays put.

Dan
Interesting, might have to check Dinitrol out. I have resisted using ACF50 and some of the others after seeing planes that have been treated several years ago still seeping the stuff out of the seems.

Back