Initial Commercial Multi Night Requirements

Probablyflying

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ProbablyFlying
Hey y’all
So I’m working on my initial commercial multi and trying to discern the regs. Yet again two meis have differing opinions.
The 2 hour day night xc that is required per 61.129 says training flight. However, does this mean it can be done as duties of PIC and the MEI can sign off on it as supervised PIC or does it need to be Dual Received?
The regs don’t specify training flight but technically if an instructor was on board he would still be teaching? Thanks for any help!

Hey y’all
So I’m working on my initial commercial multi and trying to discern the regs. Yet again two meis have differing opinions.
The 2 hour day night xc that is required per 61.129 says training flight. However, does this mean it can be done as duties of PIC and the MEI can sign off on it as supervised PIC or does it need to be Dual Received?
The regs don’t specify training flight but technically if an instructor was on board he would still be teaching? Thanks for any help!
14 CFR 61.129(b)(3) and 14 CFR 61.129(b)(4) are mutually exclusive requirements.

Read a bit closer. The regs most certainly do state that the day and night cross country you’re referring to are training flights and thus not eligible for PIC time.

The solo cross country flight(s) that are required are another story. Those can be done as a “supervised solo” flight for the purposes of meeting insurance requirements. The instructor on board should not be teaching; it should effectively be like you’re flying by yourself.

Read a bit closer. The regs most certainly do state that the day and night cross country you’re referring to are training flights and thus not eligible for PIC time.

The solo cross country flight(s) that are required are another story. Those can be done as a “supervised solo” flight for the purposes of meeting insurance requirements. The instructor on board should not be teaching; it should effectively be like you’re flying by yourself.
Gotcha. The 300 mile XC is done as Supervised PIC correct?

Hey y’all

For 61.129:

You must have 20 hours of logged flight instruction that includes both 2 hour XCs.

You must have 10 hours of solo or 10 hours duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor onboard (CFI Accompanied). It is not mix and match.

Up to 10 hours CFI Accompanied may be credited toward the flight time requirement, but the hours cannot be logged as PIC if you are not ME rated because you aren’t solo and a CFI going is not a reg requirement. 61.51(e). The time is not entered as solo either.

The 10 hours CFI accompanied time does not get logged as the dual training and does not count for any of the 20 hours in 61.129(b)(3) because the reg says it can be credited as flight time listed in 61.129(b)(2). Your instructor should note “Duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor per 61.129(b)(4)” in the remarks section.

On the 8710 there is no CFI accompanied line. The 10 hours CFI accompanied time meets the certificate requirements and is credited by entering in the PIC column.

Last edited:
Back