Ingrates!!!!

I am definitely here for good, i am very grateful to the people who put this together, I have met some truly great people!!

Carol said:
Yes, you can. One of the flaws in the new system.

Carol, How do you do this?? Looking at the aopa home page, the aviation forum is clearly in the members section. I clear my cookies every day so when I click on the forum tab it ask for member info.. AS I stated, I am not going to renew but I might lurk once in a while. And I totally agree with TBONE
POH rocks......................KD

Well, I'll be..... you're right, it is listed in the members section. I first got there from a link here, and this is the address.... LINK REMOVED at AOPA's REQUEST.

Seems to work straight in so far, I suppose that may change (being as they list it in the members section, it's probably their intention.... just a glitch they'll need to fix? After they catch it of course ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
T Bone said:
Well, I'll be..... you're right, it is listed in the members section. I first got there from a link here, and this is the address.... LINK REMOVED at AOPA REQUEST

Seems to work straight in so far, I suppose that may change (being as they list it in the members section, it's probably their intention.... just a glitch they'll need to fix? After they catch it of course ;) )

I tried that link...it worked!!! I wonder if who ever posted that link first is not some how being logged in thier name by all that use it??

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent been posting because I have been getting my bootie kicked in charter and company flights. Today I went from BDL-TUL-SLN-CGF-TUL.

Brent Bradford

cherokeeflyboy said:
I tried that link...it worked!!! I wonder if who ever posted that link first is not some how being logged in thier name by all that use it??
Not to worry. The direct link simply doesn't run any code that checks to see if you're logged in. Most of the "members only" portion of the AOPA board works the same way. Although you must log in if you go through the menu system, a direct link will get you to most items without going through the login. The thought is that everyone will go through the menu to get to the board and they'll catch it that way. Or, they don't care that non-members are on the board. Anyway, you're not impacting anyone else by using the link.

Guys - AOPA is, as someone said, in the public sector.

I suspect (and hope, honestly) that all AOPA's forum will be is a basic vBulletin install.

AOPA's biggest benefit to having a forum is that pilots can FIND it, EASILY, and get help with what they need. Yeah they can get help here too, but finding us isn't as easy. We pretty much have word of mouth.

Thats why I'm posting on AOPA AT ALL. I'm helping out users where I can, and spreading the link to PoA in my signature. I won't post for the sake of advertising on AOPA's forums. I've only ever done that during one time period, and that was when AOPA was closing down and I wanted to be sure that all the forum addicts could find a replacement.

AOPA will get new, TONS of new users. But we offer features AOPA doesn't and probably won't. Links database. Member hangars (big improvements coming to that soon as we switch to vBulletin 3.5), and more. You'll note that I did NOT volunteer suggestions for an AOPA chat room when asked to, because our features are our draw.

IMO the best thing you can do to help support Pilots of America is go ahead and participate at AOPA, but put a link to PoA in your signature.

If anyone doesn't know how to do that, let me know, and I"ll PM you the code I use in mine.

TBone et al:

AOPA has specifically asked us not to post the unsecure back-door link to their forums.

In accordance with that request, I am removing all such links.

As a system admin, I understand and respect their request to not have that security hole advertised.

Having learned to fly at a small grass field with nice a nice porch and chairs out side the little operations shack. I find it real comfortable to be here to learn and share flying adventures. Thanks to all .

John J

Greebo said:
TBone et al:

AOPA has specifically asked us not to post the unsecure back-door link to their forums.

In accordance with that request, I am removing all such links.

As a system admin, I understand and respect their request to not have that security hole advertised.
Thanks for the heads up. BTW, it was me who said their forum was in the public section, and I was wrong. I assumed that because I didn't need to log in to get there. Ken has explained why that is, and this request seems to confirm their intent.

Does this mean they are reading "competing" forums (at least this one)?

Next up, I'll bet they won't want links to other forae (as in your signature).

Greebo said:
IMO the best thing you can do to help support Pilots of America is go ahead and participate at AOPA, but put a link to PoA in your signature.

If anyone doesn't know how to do that, let me know, and I"ll PM you the code I use in mine.
Chuck -

Do you have any objection if we put the link with the PoA logo in our signature on the Red Board?

If not, would you email me the code or post it here?

Robert reads this forum. They dont want the unsecure link spread around, because they don't want people getting in who aren't members.

Robert/AOPA have never had an objection to having links to other forums listed. Lets not put malice into their intentions that isn't justifed, shall we?

These are not "competing" boards. They are different boards, serving (as noted above) different constituencies for different reasons.

Here remains home for me, with a core group of good and committed pilots and friends of pilots.

Here, I find people whose counsel and insight I have come to value, and have been able to test through further observation.

And the civility is the closer for me.

I'll post there, but I live...

...here.

RotaryWingBob said:
Chuck -

Do you have any objection if we put the link with the PoA logo in our signature on the Red Board?

If not, would you email me the code or post it here?
I'd have no objection to it, but the "Red Board" has disabled the use of images in signatures. Come to think of it, I think we have too.

judypilot said:
I was active on Babes for awhile but dropped out for lack of time.
Judy

Judy, you're still a Babe, even if you log in once every 5 years to say "hi." :)

Carolyn

now that I finally found you guys again ... I am not leaving either!

Last edited:
Greebo said:
Robert reads this forum. They dont want the unsecure link spread around, because they don't want people getting in who aren't members.

Robert/AOPA have never had an objection to having links to other forums listed. Lets not put malice into their intentions that isn't justifed, shall we?
That is good news. I guess I've just seen too much "forum wars" type stuff in other areas. Nice to hear AOPA is open minded about this, and that helps them earn and retain my support (though I just got my ticket, I'm in my fourth year of AOPA membership).

Greebo said:
AOPA's biggest benefit to having a forum is that pilots can FIND it, EASILY, and get help with what they need. Yeah they can get help here too, but finding us isn't as easy. We pretty much have word of mouth.

I'm going to do my part at Airventure. I'm planning on being a walking billboard for the entire 4 days I'm there! Now I just need to find that post you made with the PoA fliers...do you mind if I customize them a little?

With 750,000 in attendance it should be good for a few members don't you think?

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
Maybe part of the answer is to evolve into something which doesn't go head-to-head. Certainly there are gaps left by AOPA. For example, they no longer have the LBA forum, which used to be quite active and was kind of a home for us old farts.

I looked at the AOPA board very quickly when it started up and then left for Hawaii on vacation. Just got back last night and wasn't on-line while in the islands. This board or that one. No LBA forum in the new board? Well, that's an oversight that I'm sure can be rectified here.

I'll stay on both boards for now and see how the new AOPA board evolves. I came from there, but have really enjoyed this one. We'll see how things work out.

Iceman said:
I'm going to do my part at Airventure. I'm planning on being a walking billboard for the entire 4 days I'm there! Now I just need to find that post you made with the PoA fliers...do you mind if I customize them a little?

With 750,000 in attendance it should be good for a few members don't you think?
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1030

Please PM me to discuss any customization ideas.

wsuffa said:
<thwock> <glug><glug><glug> ah.

Sure.

<fires up the grill>

ahhhhh. yum. Now this's the life. :wineglass:

I brought a nice yellowfin tuna and some black angus Nebraska fish for that grill.....:blowingkisses:

sierra said:
ahhhhh. yum. Now this's the life. :wineglass:

I brought a nice yellowfin tuna and some black angus Nebraska fish for that grill.....:blowingkisses:

Yum.

I'd like that tuna rare in the middle with some wasabi, please.

A little fresh cold pasta salad with pesto coming right up.

(as I sit here watching the food network...)

wsuffa said:
Yum.

mmm...and I just made my third batch of home-grown pesto a couple hours ago. Got out of the truck, picked the basil on the way in, into the apt, and whomped it up. yum. And good on fish

terry

wsuffa said:
My new son-in-law works for High Noon Productions - the company that produces many of the Food Network shows, like Unwrapped and others. I've been getting some pretty cool samples of stuff lately, like hot sauces, barbeque sauces, etc...

grattonja said:
I'm stickin' with this place. Way more friendly. I post "over there" as well, but the politics "over there" are already turning ugly, and that without some of the worst offenders from before the shut down. I really think this is the more friendly place. Sure, pilots here have egos. But... not the same as the other board.

Jim G

I don't post much on either board, but I enjoy reading posts on both. I like the feel of this place MUCH better, but the other board has some advantages (mostly the number of posts). I lurk to read posts mostly with the goal of learning something every time I log in. Today, I logged in to the other board and learned how to use the "ignore user" list for the first time.. sheesh.

wsuffa said:
Yum.

Humm, Does Shiner Bock go with that, or do you need some nice Johannesburg Riesling?

Ok, Drink orders, Taking drink orders here.........

Green lime Smirnoff anyone???

Carol said:
Well, we could fire up the Gaston's thread again ;)

As Dr. Bruce says......Sigh...... :)

Eamon said:
Humm, Does Shiner Bock go with that, or do you need some nice Johannesburg Riesling?

Ok, Drink orders, Taking drink orders here.........

Green lime Smirnoff anyone???

Chateau Mouton Rothschild for me, please, 1982...

Barbancourt Rum...neat. (from Haiti)

The neighbor just fired up the lawnmower and its 8:30 MDT. Oh gun boy!

A lot of folks are on vacation, trips, etc. I'd be surprised if traffic stayed constant year round. On my recent trip, I couldn't always get to an internet connection. When I could, my nieces wouldn't let me stay too long--to many other fun things to do they wanted me along for!!

AOPA will appeal to some folks and I may occasionally brouse there, but I limited my posts there to a few areas only. Hanger Talk was someplane I only occassionally ventured into.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

I am another refugee from the Babes (thanks guys :cheerswine:) and although I occasionally read the old AOPA board I never had any desire to post there. Same with the new one.

EHITCH said:
I'll second what someone said several months ago, that the one thing I miss here that was on the other board was the constant stream of newcomers -- it's always fun to read posts from folks who are taking their first flying lessons.
Having said that, I do not miss the combative tone of the earlier AOPA board -- it seemed to me there was a lot of nit-picking and argument for its own sake -- plenty of heat but not much light -- coupled with an almost willful desire to misunderstand people. Internet forums are pretty much a one-dimensional medium and without hearing a tone of voice or watching body language it's easy to mis-read a post, unless there is an expectation of basic civility -- which seems to be the case with PoA. Quite different and more welcome than AOPA.
Elizabeth

I sure hope PoA stays up for a long time. Remember, the reborn AOPA webboard is an experiment and could be abandoned if things get out of hand gain. So far things seem pretty mellow there, but as before I'm staying out of Hangar Talk (now known as Soapbox). I do expect that I'll spend more time on Red, but only because I like finding the newbie pilots there. I do plan to visit PoA reasonably often too.

Back