Ingrates!!!!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Rant on.

All the hard work these guys put into this place, and as soon as AOPA comes online again, it's like rats on a sinking ship.

Rant off.

Does seem a bit thin around here lately. Most of these folks came from AOPA's board as I understand it. I didn't. Never cared for the format I saw when I tried it out. Barely ever read there. I have signed up with the new one, and have a whopping one post. I still expect to spend much more time here. I also note a lot of familiar names and faces over there. I read here that even Greebo has been seen over there (I assume still here as well?). In the long run, I would hope there is room for both, but hopefully they won't cover exactly the same ground. Being a veteran of two watch forums based on the same brand (Breitling) I loath seeing people copy/paste their posts to both boards. What's the point (to get different perspectives I suppose, but they could at least re write it!). Anyway, I came here from Marco's place (The Pilot Lounge) but I never left there. And I note many regulars of there are here as well.

Hopefully, this place will remain as fresh and vibrant as when I first noticed it. Quite a good find I thought! :yes:

Not to worry as I am still going to be here. Been years since I was on AOPA board. I came here because of Maverick who I visit with on the Babes and Airplane Board. I still us it but also enjoy being here.

I'll post on both , i have made friends here i never saw on AOPA, I'll probably be here more then there cause of the Chatroom . Dave G

This "rat" is still here;) How's the trip?

I still like this ship better, Ed. I'm here for the duration.

drhunt said:
This "rat" is still here;) How's the trip?

Was blazing hot yesterday. Stopped in Death Valley - 115 degrees. And in Havasu, 121 degrees. Was 100 when I left this morning. Got some cooler air in Utah and NM - where I am now. (It was only 98)

By the way, Ed- I envy your trip more than I can describe. Livin' it for all of us!

N2212R said:
Was blazing hot yesterday. Stopped in Death Valley - 115 degrees. And in Havasu, 121 degrees. Was 100 when I left this morning. Got some cooler air in Utah and NM - where I am now. (It was only 98)

The last time I was in Death Valley 'tween mid-May and late-Sept it was 122 in the shade. I would suppose having done it you won't be doing it again.

Or are you like the boatloads of German tourists who go there year after year to experience the oppressive heat?

I too relish hearing about the trip you are making. This summer was to be my year for just such a trip.

N2212R said:
I thought it's been hot in Ohio, mid 90's.

T Bone said:
Does seem a bit thin around here lately. .....

Well, we could fire up the Gaston's thread again ;)

Carol said:
Lol! Which one? Coulda' filled a whole forum!

Thing is, we're all already jealous enough we couldn't make it (sounded like a grand time :yes: ).

But we can do some more new stuff.

Anyone going to Osh Kosh? Maybe a new thread is in order for that one. Gotta go, much to do today (and no flying :( ) but later, maybe I'll finally post "Gratuitous Michigan Air Show Pics Pt II, Angels in the clouds".

N2212R said:
Rant on.

All the hard work these guys put into this place, and as soon as AOPA comes online again, it's like rats on a sinking ship.

Rant off.

I've never used the AOPA message board. I came here because of the generosity shown by the PoA folks in giving the Babes members a temporary space when the Babes and Airplanes board had to go down for a server move.

Because of the large numbers of negative things I've heard about the AOPA message board in it's past, I doubt I ever will post on that board.

Jeannie

I'll still be reading/posting here - just been too busy to post much anywhere lately.

Jeff

I'm stickin' with this place. Way more friendly. I post "over there" as well, but the politics "over there" are already turning ugly, and that without some of the worst offenders from before the shut down. I really think this is the more friendly place. Sure, pilots here have egos. But... not the same as the other board.

Jim G

N2212R said:
Rant on.

Rant off.
That's true, but many of us came from that board before coming here. I agree that it's a nicer crowd here, but I'm not sure that POA can compete head-to-head with AOPA.

Maybe part of the answer is to evolve into something which doesn't go head-to-head. Certainly there are gaps left by AOPA. For example, they no longer have the LBA forum, which used to be quite active and was kind of a home for us old farts.

Or, since many of us have larger numbers of photos we've taken, how about some way to let members build photo albums rather than simply posting a few pictures randomly like we do.

I'm sure if we think about, we can come up with things which would make people want to stay here.

My 2 cents...

RotaryWingBob said:
That's true, but many of us came from that board before coming here. I agree that it's a nicer crowd here, but I'm not sure that POA can compete head-to-head with AOPA.

Maybe part of the answer is to evolve into something which doesn't go head-to-head. Certainly there are gaps left by AOPA. For example, they no longer have the LBA forum, which used to be quite active and was kind of a home for us old farts.

Or, since many of us have larger numbers of photos we've taken, how about some way to let members build photo albums rather than simply posting a few pictures randomly like we do.

I'm sure if we think about, we can come up with things which would make people want to stay here.

My 2 cents...
Thing is, the old board there was nothing like this one. Had it come back in the same form, I suspect POA would have soundly trounced AOPA. But now they've come back, and are using V bulletin (same as here). And they have many similar catagories. Seems sorta like "who's copying who"? Nevertheless, I predict POA will last and continue to be active. Maybe just wishful thinking, but I like it here!

Let's not forget, not long ago this board was "new and shiny". Some of the newness is gone, and now the AOPA board is benefitting from the same "new and shiny" effect. That too will wear off a bit in time.

Youre stuck with me for a while.
I am addicted to the benefits the operators provide not the least of which is a monitoring of 'attitudes'.

T Bone said:
Lol! Which one? Coulda' filled a whole forum!

Thing is, we're all already jealous enough we couldn't make it (sounded like a grand time :yes: ).

QUOTE]

I for one thoroughly enjoyed the number and length of the Gastons threads. :yes: And I to was envious of those who went. Loved all the photos! A chance to put faces with the names. As far as jumping ship goes I visit both sites. I found the other site very shortly after it started and to be honest felt terrible when it went away. It now has a totally different feel to it. It no longer has that sort of friendly closeness to it that it had before and that this forum has now. As long as this forum is availible I will be here. :yes: :yes:

RotaryWingBob said:
QUOTE]

Great idea Bob! I'll give ya more than 2 cents for that one. :yes: :yes:

I'm still here too...as well as on Babes and AOPA, and don't always post. I wouldn't worry too much about this community dying out. It's definitely a different atmosphere here, like comparing one of those cozy country airports to a more commercial one. Both airports have their own range of clientele and services, and sometimes we need to land there for some reason, and here for another.

For me PoA is definitely more of a hangout with the "locals" so to speak.

It's also the middle of summer in the northern hemisphere and posting can be extra-light also because of family vacations and such.

I miss the "old farts" board too--that was the first one I ever posted on over at the old AOPA board I think. :)

terry

terzap said:
I'm still here too...

I miss the "old farts" board too--that was the first one I ever posted on over at the old AOPA board I think. :)

terry
This is like the back porch :)

I agree with Bruce. I like the small airport feel of this place!

I'm here for the duration, its just those pesky clients of mine mesing up my free time! LOL

S.

I'm staying here...as long as I have internet.

POA is the Adirondack chair out under the shade tree, have a good time and learn place.

I'll pop in at the AOPA board for the educational purposes and newbies. (no way will I even looking at the political threads and such over there)

Both boards have their advantages.

Ouch...scorching! I'll stay here where the "hot days' are mid 80s ;) Hope rest of your trip is smooth. With all these meals thrown at you you're "well fed, Ed Fred"...sorry :rolleyes:

Last edited:
drhunt said:
Ouch...scorching! I'll stay here where the "hot days' are mid 80s ;) Hope rest of your trip is smooth. With all these meals thrown at you your'e "well fed, Ed Fred"...sorry :rolleyes:

David, don't be so red, all you sed was Ed is well fed, aint that right Fred?

I'm a refugee from AOPA and have logged on to the new board exactly once. It seems I have time for only 2 boards (my main one is the Cessna Pilots Association board), as I was active on Babes for awhile but dropped out for lack of time. I can't see leaving here to go back to AOPA unless my favorite people (Greebo, Dr. B, Dave Taylor, Brian A., Carol, et al.) leave, and it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

Judy

bbchien said:
This is like the back porch :)

Great description of POA! I came to POA from AOPA. I will post on both but I always check POA first. I guess I'd say "relationships" on POA are a bit closer. Its like the theme song from Cheers. Sometimes its nice to go where everybody knows your name"

This is home, I am not going anywhere. I have not even looked at the new AOPA board. I like my POA family, much nicer group!:D

Carol said:

Carol, don't get me started! LOL!

Poor Anthony. Just when he thought it was over. ;)

Not EVERYONE is a member of AOPA, therefore cannot use the aopa's forum
I for one will not renew my membership so having a choice is invaluable to me.
(Please no flames on being a aopa member, went thru that when poa first started up)
Ingrates indeed...............................KD

Erm.... should we tell 'im?

The "Red Board" as it seems to be referred to here now ;) is in the public section. I know when I did my one post, (now two..... :eek: ) it didn't ask me to sign in with my AOPA number or user name, so I don't think membership is required. Still, this place rocks! :cheerswine:

cherokeeflyboy said:
Not EVERYONE is a member of AOPA, therefore cannot use the aopa's forum
..................KD

Yes, you can. One of the flaws in the new system.

Don't sweat it. Everyone wants to try out the new place.

PoA filled a need that other boards couldn't provide or didn't have the user base to generate the traffic. I like the analogy of a front/back porch get together. Grab a seat, here's a drink, tell us about your day. I've seen it at one other board but that's about it aside from here.

I've lurked and posted once. I doubt I'll do much more. Like someone else mentioned: that red gets really hard to deal with after a while.

(Wonder if that's a subtle political slip of some sort? ;) )

wsuffa said:
I'm here. Will stay. :cheerswine:

pour me a glass of that, wouldja Bill?

<sets back, feet up, watching that sunset over the ol' runway....>

I'll second what someone said several months ago, that the one thing I miss here that was on the other board was the constant stream of newcomers -- it's always fun to read posts from folks who are taking their first flying lessons.
Having said that, I do not miss the combative tone of the earlier AOPA board -- it seemed to me there was a lot of nit-picking and argument for its own sake -- plenty of heat but not much light -- coupled with an almost willful desire to misunderstand people. Internet forums are pretty much a one-dimensional medium and without hearing a tone of voice or watching body language it's easy to mis-read a post, unless there is an expectation of basic civility -- which seems to be the case with PoA. Quite different and more welcome than AOPA.
Elizabeth

EHITCH said:
snip
.....coupled with an almost willful desire to misunderstand people.
snip
.....unless there is an expectation of basic civility....

Wow - you put into words something that has eluded me for so long. Of course; that's it! That was a big part of it.

Other specfic hot buttons for me are the callous tone of accusation such as "Sounds like a bust to me" (far regulation infraction) Might as well add,
".., loser". to such a statement.
I think we are all here to learn, have fun, join with our friends as we share our hobby. It can be a good experience......or it can be agony, our choice.

As someone once said, "all that is left is from here to the end" and I take that to mean: enjoy it, be kind to one another, share and be generous - because if you don't -when it is all over there will be a terrific emptiness"

Maybe POA could do with a Mission Statement. Sorry if I missed it, I'll check the homepage.
:cheerswine:

sierra said:
pour me a glass of that, wouldja Bill?

<sets back, feet up, watching that sunset over the ol' runway....>

<thwock> <glug><glug><glug> ah.

Sure.

<fires up the grill>

Back