Information to pass along to my family

They did eventually find Fossett . Or evidence of Fossett. By accident much later some hikers found debris. One piece is which was a chewed drivers license. To put it gently, his remains were returned to nature.

Yep, forgot to include that. They didn't find him via Mechanical Turk though, it was a random nature hiker.

Sounded like he probably died in the crash, and then he was someone's lunch.

I’m with the- you are gunna freak them out camp...

I'm in a similar camp where my family knows little about aviation. When I mention my plane, it starts an argument over whom I should name as the beneficiary of my life insurance.

It stresses me out to keep them too informed so bought a Garmin Inreach and I chose 2 family members that I can trust to keep their head in an emergency. I always carry it and I keep it on when I am flying. If I hit the SOS button, it contacts emergency services and the 2 family members I trust. They know that they are responsible for contacting everyone else, and I trust them to work with whatever authorities need to find me.

Sometimes when I was training my mother would call while I was driving to the airport. If I told her I was going flying she'd always say, "Be careful." My typical responses were, "Do I have to?", "If you say so", or "no".

Eventually I just stopped answering the phone. Much easier, and more safe since I was no longer "distracted driving."

I remember when Ken Fosset went missing. I firmly believe he would be alive today if he had a SPOT device with him on the plane. I bought my SPOT 1 that same year. I have a SPOT 2 now, I use it every time I fly. I have a simple routine and stick with it.

Love the idea of the SPOT. Great product.

But given the debris found Fossett probably died instantly in a rather violent crash. It like he lived for a few days after the crash.

Back