Information overload/Paralysis by analysis

eplum

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eplum
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm a 51yo student, pre-solo (but not much hopefully), with the nutty idea of doing a sprint to commercial/cfi certs and potentially even pursuing a 4th career in aviation. My local airport only has one plane for rent and there are no clubs around. So, in the interest of convenience, expedience and hopefully financial efficiency, I have been researching planes to purchase. I'm on the Western Slope of Colorado, field elevation 5,800 (with hot summer DAs much higher) and everyone I've talked to tells me I must have 180hp to fly here. I think they are projecting their mission onto mine.

Mission Statement: Build time in the most economical way and pass checkrides, including instrument.

My instructor is a cherokee fan, so recommends a 180.

I've just been bouncing around Barnstomers, Trade-a-Plane and Controller in all my free time, learning as much as I can about avionics etc. (when not studying for PPL checkride) so I can try to nail down an objective. I lean towards a plane that is ready to meet my mission without upgrades and that has TBO remaining so I can at least get to 500 hours before needing overhaul. I want WAAS-GPS at the very least, if not glass avionics and 1000ish hours or less.

Certified planes with 180hp and all the trimmings are going to run $90k and up in this unfortunately (for me, not all the people who already own planes) ill-timed inflationary wave in plane prices. This includes as Cessnas, Pipers and Grummans primarily and I've been considering the 150 and 160hp versions as well (don't tell my local aviation advice givers but what do you think?). The ones that look most interesting are in the $120k+ range and they all seem to be in Florida, which makes my instructor wary of corrosion and the like. Or there are a few P28-140/160s but will they work here if I'm mostly flying alone or will I kill myself trying?

I can do the instrument checkride in a non-IMC certified aircraft that has fully capable IFR avionics, so I have also been looking at the DA20 on the certified side and scouting for capable LSAs. There are a lot of Sportcruiser and similar aircraft around but few, if any, have WAAS-GPS. Then I stumbled upon the PIpistrel Alpha Trainer. New ones are outfitted for IFR training in VFR conditions. But they're only 80hp. But they're super light and aerodynamic. But I couldn't ever fly in actual in IMC. But where I live, IMC almost always equals icing or crazy convection so I wouldn't fly in it anyhow... Oh yeah and they're $185k.

I'm enticed by the newness and the lack of somebody else's sqwaks to take care of after purchase of a plane as old as I am. And there's the ease of purchase, relative to the pre-purchase due diligence hoop jumping required for buying vintage airframes (and the inevitable triple cost first annual). The operating efficiency of the Alpha Trainer can't be beat for time building, as evidenced by the Mesa Airlines purchase of a bunch of them for their pilot development program. Sub 3gph at low speed cruise on MOGAS is amazing.

I am planning on treating flying as a second job for the next 18 months. I don't have family to take places or anything that requires extra space. I am in no hurry to get anywhere because I want to build time not miles. The Pipistrel would be a no-brainer for me if I wasn't concerned it will lose 50% of it's value in those 18 months. Although, since there is only one plane for hire and two septuagenarian CFIs local, perhaps I would just use it to start my own flight training operation at that point. But, I think I want to go 121 or 135, or if I get luck, fly a jet for someone who lives around here.

As I said in the title, paralysis by analysis. In the mean time, I'll keep flying the beater 172 I have been. I feel though that every flight in it is hours that could be more economical in my own plane so there's a sense of urgency to finding and procuring something of my own.

Thoughts? Comments? I'm sure there are concerns for my sanity... please keep those to yourself. And I know according to many in the "if it floats, flies or fornicates, rent it" camp I'm barking up the wrong tree. Just writing this has been a little cathartic. I think I'll spend the rest of the evening poring over Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide, which is probably a much better use of my time anyhow.

Well, you haven’t soloed, so you might want to cool your jets. Take your time and keep your eyes & options open.

speaking as a pilot with 25 yrs on you, you need to temper your expectations with the kind of FAA physical you can get & maintain. The older we get, the more opportunity for our bodies to find ways of unexpectedly betraying us. We’ve had a string of student pilots here half your age who struggle for their 1st class. Go get that first, then ask us again (Also, it is imperative you not be denied, or your flying is over until the issue is resolved. So pay for an “advisory” AME visit & never, never, never fill out the online med form until you’ve been okayed to take the real physical).

You'd want to have a turbo where you are though. Properly equipped, you can log TAA time and do your IFR training in it.

And if your career dreams don't happen, you'll be in a world-class bush plane out west that prefers 93 octane car gas.

Last edited:
As I said in the title, paralysis by analysis. In the mean time, I'll keep flying the beater 172 I have been. I feel though that every flight in it is hours that could be more economical in my own plane so there's a sense of urgency to finding and procuring something of my own.
Be careful with this strategy. If you buy a used plane with a mid-time engine and find that it actually needs an overhaul you may be looking at an added cost of another $60k or so. That amount would pay for a lot of time in the C172.

Owning your own plane isn't just an expense. It's also a significant risk.

I can do the instrument checkride in a non-IMC certified aircraft that has fully capable IFR avionics, so I have also been looking at the DA20 on the certified side and scouting for capable LSAs.
You can, and whether Dynon or Garmin, modern LSAs have equipment that rivals and even exceeds fully certified aircraft. But while I know opportunities for it are limited, I’m not sure purposely avoiding flight in actual instrument conditions is a great long-term strategy.

My local airport only has one plane for rent and there are no clubs around. So, in the interest of convenience, expedience and hopefully financial efficiency, I have been researching planes to purchase. I'm on the Western Slope of Colorado, field elevation 5,800 (with hot summer DAs much higher) and everyone I've talked to tells me I must have 180hp to fly here.

Mission Statement: Build time in the most economical way and pass checkrides, including instrument.
Welcome to PoA!

You're at the you-don't-know-what-you-don't-know phase, a few times over, and that's okay. You'll need to eat the elephant a bite a time.

A new-to-you plane will have a shakedown period, and you will need time to gain experience, both as a pilot and as an owner.

You could go zero to hero in a turbo arrow, or a TAA with a turbo rotax.

It's likely that you will save neither money nor time by buying, but you may end up better for it. What's the hurry, anyway? Start thinking over a 10 year time frame. Also, the price of your ratings and the acquisition cost of your plane are just the cover charge to enter Aviation Club.

And yeah, I'd worry about the medical first.

Funny, I can’t delete the entire quote

Anyway, can the op live with friends/family near an airport not surrounded by mountains and at 6000’?

Seems like an easier way to move forward. Pick a school with five or ten planes. Not only is that engine work the other poster mentioned 60k but it’ll take 4-6 months.

Anyway, can the op live with friends/family near an airport not surrounded by mountains and at 6000’?

Seems like an easier way to move forward. Pick a school with five or ten planes.

I can’t think of a single reason to do that. And, depending on where on the western slope, not really surrounded.
Maybe not right away; but one 'quicker' path, might be: complete PPL and IR at home with what is available, then 'move' to the big city (Denver, Salt Lake, etc.) to a busy flight school for Commercial and CFI, hopefully a school that will turn around and hire you the day after you get your CFI. Realistically, you're looking at 1200 hours for a 135 Job, or, maybe a minimum of 500 or so for a right-seat spot. I know, 500 is minimum for 135 VFR, but, there just aren't very many of those jobs out there. With a busy instructing schedule, you could have that time logged in about a year, versus how long flying your owned plane from home? Just a thought....

You dont mention if you have your medical or not. If not, most will say to go in for a consultation first. You don't want any surprises.

I'm a 51yo student, pre-solo (but not much hopefully), with the nutty idea of doing a sprint to commercial/cfi certs and potentially even pursuing a 4th career in aviation.

Go to YouTube, look up "Fly with Trent". He did what you are thinking of doing.

Also, look up "Pilot Kaity" she went from Zero to ATP for under $35K.

Best of luck with your future goals.

Grand Junction? Rifle? Montrose? Where are you located? A 150/160 hp in the summer with DA of 8-9K is not only not fun, but you’ll be limited to the worst possible altitudes of maybe 2K AGL which is bumpy, barfy and miserably sweaty. Not good for beginning learners. Lots of night flying tho to stay in nicer weather. Night flying not a good idea near mountains.

When people around you say go for a 180 hp, they know what they are talking about. In a Cessna 150, in the summer, you’ll barely be able to take off with the CFI in the airplane with you.

As stated in the thread more than once….go get a CONSULT with an AME before anything else.

Well, you haven’t soloed, so you might want to cool your jets. Take your time and keep your eyes & options open.

speaking as a pilot with 25 yrs on you, you need to temper your expectations with the kind of FAA physical you can get & maintain. The older we get, the more opportunity for our bodies to find ways of unexpectedly betraying us. We’ve had a string of student pilots here half your age who struggle for their 1st class. Go get that first, then ask us again (Also, it is imperative you not be denied, or your flying is over until the issue is resolved. So pay for an “advisory” AME visit & never, never, never fill out the online med form until you’ve been okayed to take the real physical).
Heard. I passed my Class 3 no problem. I'm quite fit. People are always surprised to hear I'm out of my 30s. I'm fortunate to have good family history as well. However, it does sound like a good idea and I'll do an AME consult to verify I shouldn't have a problem with Class 1. Although if I can't stop ballooning after level-out, it'll all be a moot point anyhow :rolleyes:. Slow flight, stalls, ground reference maneuvers, steep turns and nice stabilized approach all no problem. Soft yoke touch on level-out through touchdown, not so much. That's a topic for another thread...

Owning your own plane isn't just an expense. It's also a significant risk.
Oh I know. But with calculated risk comes potential for outsized rewards. I used to work for an actuary that often told me I have a tendency to over-analyze. Risk management/mitigation is something I'm very aware of.

But while I know opportunities for it are limited, I’m not sure purposely avoiding flight in actual instrument conditions is a great long-term strategy.
Agreed. This argument is a strong on in the pro-certified plane column. Although there's always renting for some IMC experience too. Isn't it buy what fits 80% of your mission and rent for the rest?

Welcome to PoA!

You're at the you-don't-know-what-you-don't-know phase, a few times over, and that's okay. You'll need to eat the elephant a bite a time.

It's likely that you will save neither money nor time by buying, but you may end up better for it. What's the hurry, anyway? Start thinking over a 10 year time frame. Also, the price of your ratings and the acquisition cost of your plane are just the cover charge to enter Aviation Club.
Thanks, I do feel welcome. I surely am drinking from a fire hose and I realize the elephant is large.

At $145/hr for the local plane (non IFR certified) and up for rentals (I neglected to mention I can commute to $185+/hr planes), a low time/new LSA could easily make a pretty good run at saving money, and I agree that either way I may be better for the experience. The hurry, as Dave mentioned, is that I'm 51 and looking to make a career pivot. Every day closer to 65 is a day closer to not being able to fly 121.

Seems like an easier way to move forward. Pick a school with five or ten planes. Not only is that engine work the other poster mentioned 60k but it’ll take 4-6 months.
I've thought about options similar to this. I own my own business and currently still need to be here about 10 hours(ish)a week, which is why I have lots of time to dedicate to this but can't necessarily skip town. I am considering finding a way to totally remove myself from the day-to-day and going somewhere to fly, a-la FlyWithTrent mentioned below. RMFS in Broomfield has tons of planes for way less to rent. Or maybe an accelerated school somewhere. But as mentioned by midlifeflyer the weather and flying here is actually really amazing. I've only missed 2 lessons in the last month for weather.

Renting is almost always cheaper than owning. If When the rental plane needs a repair, your cost doesn’t change.

If you can’t afford to write a $5,000 check on your next preflight, then aircraft ownership is probably not for you.
I can afford it. But nobody wants to. Renting is ALMOST always cheaper as you said. But owning has it's perks too.

Maybe not right away; but one 'quicker' path, might be: complete PPL and IR at home with what is available, then 'move' to the big city (Denver, Salt Lake, etc.) to a busy flight school for Commercial and CFI, hopefully a school that will turn around and hire you the day after you get your CFI. Realistically, you're looking at 1200 hours for a 135 Job, or, maybe a minimum of 500 or so for a right-seat spot. I know, 500 is minimum for 135 VFR, but, there just aren't very many of those jobs out there. With a busy instructing schedule, you could have that time logged in about a year, versus how long flying your owned plane from home? Just a thought....
I've thought of that for sure. I'm flying 6-8 hours a week now (when my instructor is available) and can see flying at least 10 hours a week in my own plane to build hours. So realistically I think I can hit 500 hours on my own in a year. It'd be nice to teach too. More thoughts below on LSA CFI opportunity.

On a sort of related note, Jim, there's a Sparrowhawk that is fully decked out for IFR on Barnstormers that is listed in Landers. Have you seen it? Looks pretty sweet. I know someone who taught in Sparrowhawks in Fort Collins. They say the conversion makes it "flyable" at higher DAs but not necessarily "enjoyable".

Go to YouTube, look up "Fly with Trent". He did what you are thinking of doing.

Also, look up "Pilot Kaity" she went from Zero to ATP for under $35K.
I've watched all Trent's videos for sure. Fascinating perspectives. I saw Kaity's video on her own channel last week as well. It added to the pro-LSA purchase column. I could get the LSI CFI at 150 hours and start instructing sport pilot students much sooner than getting the certified CFI. Nobody is doing Sport Pilot instruction on the Western Slope that I have seen so it could be a potential niche opportunity. Tons of people moving here for retirement that might want to learn to fly but couldn't do a medical.

Grand Junction? Rifle? Montrose? Where are you located? A 150/160 hp in the summer with DA of 8-9K is not only not fun, but you’ll be limited to the worst possible altitudes of maybe 2K AGL which is bumpy, barfy and miserably sweaty. Not good for beginning learners. Lots of night flying tho to stay in nicer weather. Night flying not a good idea near mountains.

When people around you say go for a 180 hp, they know what they are talking about. In a Cessna 150, in the summer, you’ll barely be able to take off with the CFI in the airplane with you.
I live directly under the turn to final for rwy 31 at MTJ. I hear you about the power needs at high DAs. But, extra night cross country will make me more marketable :cool:. I'll fly alone in the summer months to build hours and get all my instruction in the cooler months.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. Keep them coming and I'll keep you apprised of my antics.

Look up Crawford in AirNav and call Rob. See what his suggestions are.

Flying near mountains at night - remember me in your will. There's not much at night that's safe (no mountains) other than the valley back & forth to Grand Junction. You may be great at risk analysis but until you have lots more hours, lots more variety of hours, and one or two episodes where you need to change your underwear, you're still a newbie. Newbies get killed in the hills. Smart people get killed in the hills. Everyone is a candidate to die in the hills. Go look up Sparky Imeson.

I surely am drinking from a fire hose

Airplane ownership is its own fire hose. Sure you want a second hose? It's not like buying a car; there's much more research involved, pre-buy examination, insurance, maintenance, AD and SB compliance, storage, and it goes on and on. I wouldn't load that burden on right now if you don't have to, and I'd be very surprised if it saved you much money in the end.

paralysis by analysis

My suggestion is to drop some of the analysis and relieve the paralysis by not worrying about a plane purchase just yet. You don't know what you don't know, and you'll be able to make a much more informed decision once you have a certificate and some hours and have flown a few different planes.

Look up Crawford in AirNav and call Rob. See what his suggestions are.

Flying near mountains at night - remember me in your will. There's not much at night that's safe (no mountains) other than the valley back & forth to Grand Junction. You may be great at risk analysis but until you have lots more hours, lots more variety of hours, and one or two episodes where you need to change your underwear, you're still a newbie. Newbies get killed in the hills. Smart people get killed in the hills. Everyone is a candidate to die in the hills. Go look up Sparky Imeson.
I'll look Rob up. I've flown over the field but haven't landed there yet. I did a couple of landings at 7V2, 8 miles north of there, today.

My instructor used to live in Steamboat. She loves telling the story about how she was at an event where the facilitator asked who has done much night flying in the mountains and she was the only one to raise a hand. If you're going to get, or teach, PPL out of SBS, you're going to have to fly at night sometime. Our night flights will mostly be to RIL and GJT, I imagine.

I certainly won't be going east at night anytime soon, but following the roads north and west give many opportunities. I'll reach out to you for you info to put you as beneficiary on one of my accounts before I go though.

Sounds like time to start a club. Seriously, AOPA has a lot of resources to help you do it and I suspect that a few signs up at your FBO or local airport restaurant could find you a group that would be willing to toss in for a club.

I‘ve been a member of three clubs With two great experiences And I’d be happy to discuss the +/- via PM. Currently In a club of 15 with an Archer. Of the 15 several own their own plane or are in other partnerships (one even is in a 3-way with a vision jet). The result is an airplane with 3-4 active pilots. The plane flew 300 hours last year but that’s because one of the members was building time and she just finished her training at Republic.

Sounds like time to start a club. Seriously, AOPA has a lot of resources to help you do it and I suspect that a few signs up at your FBO or local airport restaurant could find you a group that would be willing to toss in for a club.
The club route is on my list. I've been reading through the AOPA info. I'm jealous of the people in clubs with multiple planes and steady membership that I hear about. There are actually 2 small clubs already at MTJ. One is full at 4 members and is only HP/Complex planes and the other is a beater 172 that is past TBO with no reserves and a membership that can't agree on actions to take. So there's an opening, for sure.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Nothing inherently wrong with Florida planes. The operational and maintenance history of the plane matter more. However, the logistics of buying a plane that far away as a student and first time buyer are a challenge. You don't know what you don't know, which increases the odds of making a purchase that you will be unhappy with, especially if your budget cannot absorb unforseen costs. Getting a pre-buy does not eliminate risk. And once you buy it, you have to fly it across the country and over the continental divide, or pay to have it ferried. I would try to focus my search on aircraft within a day's round-trip radius of you. Find a mentor who has owned a few planes willing to go with you to take a look. Most importantly, don't be in a rush to buy. It may take you 6 months or a year to find the right plane, and you will have to pass up a lot of dogs along the way.
If you have the money and are serious about knocking out a bunch of ratings in a hurry, part 161 flight schools are built for that. Plenty of them in Arizona. If they are like Florida, they cater to foreign students, which means they'll have shared housing and transportation lined up so you can focus on flying full time.

I've thought of that for sure. I'm flying 6-8 hours a week now (when my instructor is available) and can see flying at least 10 hours a week in my own plane to build hours. So realistically I think I can hit 500 hours on my own in a year. It'd be nice to teach too. More thoughts below on LSA CFI opportunity.

Chances are you are severely overestimating the amount you are going to fly per year outside of a pure training environment. It's one thing to build a lot of hours when attending flight school full time but there's a reason that many commercial/ATPs are also CFIs. IMO as student pilot, you're not in a good position to accurately do more than make that time building target much more than a goal. If you can pull it off great, but you need to be prepared for what happens to your plans if you don't meet your target. Also, I'd look long and hard at all the associated costs of ownership beyond the initial acquisition cost (eg direct operating costs, insurance, hangar, maintenance, databases, etc, etc).

Nothing inherently wrong with Florida planes. The operational and maintenance history of the plane matter more. However, the logistics of buying a plane that far away as a student and first time buyer are a challenge. You don't know what you don't know, which increases the odds of making a purchase that you will be unhappy with, especially if your budget cannot absorb unforseen costs. Getting a pre-buy does not eliminate risk. And once you buy it, you have to fly it across the country and over the continental divide, or pay to have it ferried. I would try to focus my search on aircraft within a day's round-trip radius of you. Find a mentor who has owned a few planes willing to go with you to take a look. Most importantly, don't be in a rush to buy. It may take you 6 months or a year to find the right plane, and you will have to pass up a lot of dogs along the way.
If you have the money and are serious about knocking out a bunch of ratings in a hurry, part 161 flight schools are built for that. Plenty of them in Arizona. If they are like Florida, they cater to foreign students, which means they'll have shared housing and transportation lined up so you can focus on flying full time.
I'm not as concerned about FL planes as my instructor. Her 1 and only experience with looking at one was riddled with corrosion so I think she may think they all are. I probably won't be buying until after I finish my PPL. It sounds awfully exciting to go do a long cross country ferry to bring a new plane home.

I'm considering 141 or accelerated 61 as another way to go. The relatively projectable costs relative to buying a plane are comforting.

Chances are you are severely overestimating the amount you are going to fly per year outside of a pure training environment. It's one thing to build a lot of hours when attending flight school full time but there's a reason that many commercial/ATPs are also CFIs. IMO as student pilot, you're not in a good position to accurately do more than make that time building target much more than a goal. If you can pull it off great, but you need to be prepared for what happens to your plans if you don't meet your target. Also, I'd look long and hard at all the associated costs of ownership beyond the initial acquisition cost (eg direct operating costs, insurance, hangar, maintenance, databases, etc, etc).

My plan is to treat life like I'm in a pure training environment. I have the time to allocate to flying - whether solo, dual received or dual given - and I am a very focused individual when there's an important goal in my sights. I'm also very flexible and open to change. So if things don't work the way I hope they will, I'll pivot to something else.

For everyone who expressed concerns for the state of my health, I've scheduled an AME consult on Class 1 certification in a couple weeks. That could end up being a first pivot point, but I hope not :fcross:.

I have a spreadsheet started to do all the comparisons of ownership vs renting and I'm doing my best to include all associated fixed and variable costs. Today (because it's fluid) I am leaning towards starting the first LSA pilot school on the Western Slope of Colorado. There are lots of retirees moving to the area. I imagine the idea of learning to fly has to be on some of their bucket lists and the weather is great here for flying.

Nothing inherently wrong with Florida planes. The operational and maintenance history of the plane matter more.

Agreed, and I'll also add that there's Florida and then there's Florida. There's a considerable difference between the atmosphere and corrosive environment in, say, Ft Myers versus Gainesville.

I would try to focus my search on aircraft within a day's round-trip radius of you.
:yeahthat:
Regardless of how good and thorough a pre-buy you have, there's a decent chance something will go wrong with the plane early in your ownership. Owners who have decided to sell will sometimes defer maintenance, or at least go cheap on it. You really don't want to have your plane stranded for two weeks halfway across the country from you while you try to get it fixed via phone and email.

Regardless of how good and thorough a pre-buy you have, there's a decent chance something will go wrong with the plane early in your ownership. Owners who have decided to sell will sometimes defer maintenance, or at least go cheap on it. You really don't want to have your plane stranded for two weeks halfway across the country from you while you try to get it fixed via phone and email.

Yeah, absolutely. No matter how diligent you are, there is a large element of hope and luck in your first purchase. If problems arise, geography can really complicate things and run up the bill.

A few months after I bought my plane, my alternator failed 500nm from home. I did not know the airplane well enough to recognize the warning signs, which undoubtedly had been present for some time. It happened on a Saturday morning in the middle of nowhere. By the time I found an A&P and got parts shipped, I was stranded for 4 days. Repairs, parts, shipping, and hotel combined were several thousand dollars.

When I bought my plane in 2021, it was in the FL panhandle (Defuniak Springs), so not clear across the country but still a fair distance. I went through Savvy to manage a pre-buy (that's another tale) which found a few squawks. The owner took care of them, but it took a few weeks, mostly due to delays locating parts.

The sale was finally closed in early June 2021, and by then the plane was out of annual. I decided to convert the pre-buy into an annual, since the plane was already in a shop and they were already familiar with it, and the annual also took a long time and had a few squawks to fix. At the end of July they told me the plane was ready for me to come for it.

SWMBO and I drove to Defuniak Springs to pick up the plane on Aug 3, it having finally come out of annual, but during pre-flight inspection I found three more squawks: fuel guages not working, electric trim not working, and pitot heat not working. I would have been willing to fly it home with no pitot heat, but the other two are airworthiness issues, so we left the plane and drove back home. I was not particularly pleased with the shop missing those (very obvious!) items, and pretty unhappy with Savvy for recommending the shop. It took a couple of weeks (and a couple of thousand dollars) to get those squawks fixed, then the weather was not conducive to flying (as in tropical storm and hurricane wx). I was finally able to get the plane over Labor Day weekend.

Three months from closing the sale (after a pre-buy!) until I could fly the plane home. It would have been even worse if the plane had been a thousand miles away instead of 400. 400 miles was enough of a PITA.

When I bought my plane in 2021, it was in the FL panhandle (Defuniak Springs), so not clear across the country but still a fair distance. I went through Savvy to manage a pre-buy (that's another tale) which found a few squawks. The owner took care of them, but it took a few weeks, mostly due to delays locating parts.

The sale was finally closed in early June 2021, and by then the plane was out of annual. I decided to convert the pre-buy into an annual, since the plane was already in a shop and they were already familiar with it, and the annual also took a long time and had a few squawks to fix. At the end of July they told me the plane was ready for me to come for it.

SWMBO and I drove to Defuniak Springs to pick up the plane on Aug 3, it having finally come out of annual, but during pre-flight inspection I found three more squawks: fuel guages not working, electric trim not working, and pitot heat not working. I would have been willing to fly it home with no pitot heat, but the other two are airworthiness issues, so we left the plane and drove back home. I was not particularly pleased with the shop missing those (very obvious!) items, and pretty unhappy with Savvy for recommending the shop. It took a couple of weeks (and a couple of thousand dollars) to get those squawks fixed, then the weather was not conducive to flying (as in tropical storm and hurricane wx). I was finally able to get the plane over Labor Day weekend.

Three months from closing the sale (after a pre-buy!) until I could fly the plane home. It would have been even worse if the plane had been a thousand miles away instead of 400. 400 miles was enough of a PITA.
That is a heck of a cautionary tale. Thank you for sharing.

Back