Influenza (Flu) Season is Almost Here

TeenDoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TeenDoc
*** Warning: Long Post *** Cross Posted ***​

DISCLAIMER: It is not my intention to open a Pandora box or preach to the incredulous. I'm a physician and you are my friends. If by providing this information I can save even one person from dying of influenza or suffering 10 miserable days on a bed, I'll put on my anti-flaming suit and hang on.

CDC reports on influenza activity in the United States and worldwide during the 2007-08 influenza season
CDC published "Influenza Activity--United States and Worldwide, 2007-08 Season" in the June 27 issue of MMWR.

Portions of the article appearing starting on page 692 of http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5725.pdf are reprinted below.

During the 2007-08 influenza season, influenza activity peaked in mid-February in the United States and was associated with greater mortality and higher rates of hospitalization of children aged 0-4 years, compared with each of the previous three seasons. In the United States, influenza A (H1N1) was the predominant strain early in the season; influenza A (H3N2) viruses increased in circulation in January and predominated overall. While influenza A (H1N1), A (H3N2), and B viruses cocirculated worldwide, influenza A (H1N1) viruses were most commonly reported in Canada, Europe, and Africa, and influenza B viruses were predominant in most Asian countries. This report summarizes influenza activity in the United States and worldwide during the 2007-08 influenza season (September 30, 2007-May 17, 2008).

Overview of Influenza Activity in the United States
The national percentage of respiratory specimens that tested positive for influenza peaked in early to mid-February, and the proportion of outpatient visits to sentinel providers for influenza-like illness (ILI) and to BioSense Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) outpatient clinics for acute respiratory illness (ARI) peaked in mid-February. . . .

Pneumonia- and Influenza-Related Mortality
During the 2007-08 influenza season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) exceeded the epidemic threshold for 19 consecutive weeks in the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System during the weeks ending January 12-May 17, 2008 (weeks 2-20). The percentage of P&I deaths peaked at 9.1% during the week ending March 15, 2008 (week 11). During the previous three influenza seasons, the peak percentage of P&I deaths has ranged from 7.7% to 8.9% and the total number of weeks the P&I ratio exceeded the epidemic threshold has ranged from one to 11. . . .

Influenza-Related Pediatric Mortality
As of June 19, 2008, 83 deaths associated with influenza infections that occurred among children aged <18 years during the 2007-08 influenza season were reported to CDC. These deaths were reported from 33 states (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin). All patients had laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infection. Among the 83 cases, the mean and median age was 6.4 years and 5.0 years, respectively; nine children were aged <6 months, 15 were aged 6-23 months, 11 were aged 2-4 years, and 48 were aged 5-17 years. Of the 79 cases for which the influenza virus type was known, 51 were influenza A viruses, 27 were influenza B viruses, and one had co-infection with influenza A and B viruses. Of the 63 cases aged >=6 months for whom vaccination status was known, 58 (92%) had not been vaccinated against influenza according to the 2007 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendations. These data are provisional and subject to change as more information becomes available. . . .

In February 2008, ACIP voted to expand influenza vaccination recommendations to include all children aged 5-18 years, beginning with the 2008-09 influenza season, if feasible, but no later than the 2009-10 influenza season. The influenza vaccine supply is projected to be abundant for the upcoming influenza season in the United States with ample doses available for implementation of the new pediatric influenza vaccination recommendation. Continued efforts, however, are needed to improve influenza vaccination coverage among children aged 6 months through 4 years, an age group at high risk for influenza-related complications and hospitalization, and close contacts of all children aged <5 years. Vaccination of household contacts of children aged <6 months is particularly important because children aged <6 months are the pediatric group at highest risk for influenza complications, but no vaccine is available for this age group. High rates of laboratory confirmed influenza-associated hospitalization reported from the two population-based surveillance systems for children aged 0-4 years, and the low vaccination rate among influenza-associated pediatric deaths reported to CDC, highlight the increased risk for influenza-related complications and hospitalizations in young children, and the need to improve vaccine coverage in this age group.

Healthcare providers should offer vaccination, whether individually or through mass campaigns, soon after 2008-09 vaccine is available. All children aged 6 months through 8 years who previously have not received influenza vaccine should have their first dose administered as soon as vaccine is available to allow time for a second dose before or shortly after the onset of influenza activity in their community. Influenza activity in the United States rarely peaks before November, and activity has peaked in January or later in 20 (80%) of the previous 25 influenza seasons. Thus, vaccine administered in December or later is likely to be beneficial during most influenza seasons. Additional information regarding influenza viruses, influenza surveillance, avian influenza, and influenza vaccination recommendations is available at http://www.cdc.gov/flu

Gil

Bbbbuuutttt Gil! Vaccines give you autism! (.....NOT). Sigh.

This country is beyond being saved.

Definitely give you autism, definitely.

ActHoffmanRainman.jpg

Time for Wapner

First time this has happened to me. My DIL is expecting in October - second son. We got an email last week setting down the law.... no visitation without a Flu shot, as recommended by her Doc. Well, I always get a flu shot, in November. Usually it is free provided by the company. This time, I was in a MD office for other reasons and the sign "Flu shots available now" caught my eye.

Yep, $40 of my own $ now in my arm. Blessings to you, unborn grandson!

-Skip

Last edited:
Funny this came up today. Just thought about calling my father ( Family Doc) Asking when he's bringing the Ampule home and we all get stuck.

Good Reminder Gil. My dad goes nuts when folks won't get thier kids measles vacinations.

The pilot episode of House has him having to do clinic when he gets the kid with Asthma.
"Are you giving him the steroid inhaler?"
"I don't like giving him so many drugs."
"Let me tell you how he'll die from Asthma....he'll suffocate..."

Thanks Gil!

Short version: The Flu can kill you, even if you're young and healthy. Get the vaccine.

Due to the time commitments of my job, I never did until last year, when I happened to be at the terminal on the day that they had a team of docs there sticking everyone there. Smart move on the company's part, as drivers are exposed to people all over the country, don't have good access to handwashing facilities, and then converge at the terminal where they could get everyone there sick, thus infecting the rest of the drivers, thus spreading it all over the country again as well as making for a very unproductive fleet.

Having been laid up for 5 days with this, I've since made it a practice to get the shot. Heck, I work at a college. I think those kids have even worse hygiene than the pre-schoolers, so I don't want to be picking anything up from them (or spreading it to them.)

Speaking of which, wash your hands often!

You know, I never gave getting the shot a second thought. I usually NEVER get sick. But ever since we moved into our new comm center, I get sick every year. The building gets very little fresh air, and instead of working with just one other dispatcher, there's between 5 and 10 other dispatchers. One of which is always sick. So far this year, I've had to take 85 hours of sick leave. 25 of which were last week, and I still am not feeling 100%. Pete, the spouse, has been sick for 9 days now. He's only been sick 3 times in the past 8 years, and it usually only lasts for a day or two. This time, he's getting worried that its turned into something other than a cold.

I think I'm gonna cave in this year and start getting them.. What the heck, they're free.

I think I'm gonna cave in this year and start getting them.. What the heck, they're free.
When I don't take the flu shot I get sick once or twice a year. When I do take the flu shot I get sick once or twice a year.

Part of my issue is that I travel and get exposed to lots of bugs and my SO works in a public forum so she gets to bring home lots of extra little critters too. Since I have to pay for flue shots I usually skip it.

I get the shot every year. Twenty years ago I got the flu, in bed for a week wishing I was dead. The second week I was real weak and couldn't work. I think it was about a month before I was normal.

I have never had a flu shot and have never had the flu. I usually get one or two minor colds each year.

However, I am not getting any younger. I can get the flu shot for free through work. I have thought about getting it just to be safe. Is there any difference between the free ones offered in mass by employers and the ones at the doctor's offices? I don't mind paying for quality where health is concerned!

I know in the medical field that there is some risk in everything. What are the potential risks associated with flu shots and the odds of them happening. I suppose the risk verses benefit ratio must be very good or they wouldn't be pushing them each year.

I have often wondered how doctors keep from being sick all the time. They are exposed to everything! What is the trick?

I have often wondered how doctors keep from being sick all the time. They are exposed to everything! What is the trick?

Maybe they've been exposed to it all as interns and grew natural immunity to everything?

Seriously, just like my folks (teachers) the trick is to keep you hands out of your ears, nose, eyes, & mouth between washing.

I wash my hands very frequently throughout the day, probably more than 40 times a day and I get my flu shot every year. I already had mine for 2008-9. We've had it in our practice for a month.

These measures will not protect me 100% but go a long way. In fact, I rarely get sick and I'm a pediatrician! Kids are very generous sharing their germs.

Lot's of fun!

I wash my hands very frequently throughout the day, probably more than 40 times a day and I get my flu shot every year. I already had mine for 2008-9. We've had it in our practice for a month.

These measures will not protect me 100% but go a long way. In fact, I rarely get sick and I'm a pediatrician! Kids are very generous sharing their germs.

Lot's of fun!
I wash my hands quite a bit too, but a colleague told me recently that while regular soap works well when it comes to removing dirt, isn't particularly effective against germs. Is that true? I've heard different things...

-Felix

I've never had a flu shot. I've gotten worse than a head cold only twice in the last twenty years or so, one being this last winter in the middle of CFI training and the previous in 1995. I'm not much for going to the doctor. In 1995 I did for that cold and he did nothing for me. So, I've just sweat them out with vitamins and whatever it took to handle the symptoms.

That being said, I'm probably just buying my time until someone upstairs says, "It's time."

That by no means suggest no one should ever get a flu shot. I had my own decisions to make and will continue to do so. Everyone must do what they and their physician feels is right for his or herself.

I had a flu shot in college. Knocked me flat in the doctor's office. I've stayed away from them ever since. And, yes, I know the risks. My great grandmother died in the 1918 epidemic from the flu.

I wash my hands quite a bit too, but a colleague told me recently that while regular soap works well when it comes to removing dirt, isn't particularly effective against germs. Is that true? I've heard different things...

-Felix

Do you really need to kill 99.9% of everything on your hands? I'm a believer of disinfecting only when necessary.

This is a tough deal to figure out. For years, they said we should get them, dire predictions if we didn't. Some years I did, some years I forgot. My reason was similar to others posts here. Our entire college football team was marched over to the health center for flu shots after a Monday practice. Nobody came to practice on Tuesday, most missed all week and we barely fielded a team for the next week's game--and got pounded by some Doofus U that we should have beat.

So now I'm in the age group that is supposed to get them come hell or high water, except last year they didn't have enough serum. So all of a sudden if you were feeling OK they didn't think it was all that important, even if you were a "senior" and we were encouraged to skip the shots so others more susceptible could have them.

Does anybody besides me smell a rat?

I'm generally healthy and don't tend to catch much. I got a free flu jab in the arm back in 1990 or 91. A few weeks later I went down like an elk that had been shot. Direct connection or random chance I don't know but I eliminated the harpooning as a likely or at least possible source and went a long time before getting sick again. Fast forward to early Feburary this year when I came down with something horrific (down for a week and a 99-101 temperature for days on end) that was going around at school. I traced it back to some plague ridden goofball that drank out of my water bottle without me knowing a few days before they went down hard.
I haven't had so much as a head cold in the intervening 16 or 17 years. FWIW, when you do go down after that length of time, it's brutal - and pathetic.

My solution: Wash hands every time you get a chance, shake hands means wash hands as soon as possible, minimize contact with large groups of people during plague season whenever possible, avoid known plague ridden individuals at all costs (the medieval tar X across their door or shirt is a good idea that I've been tempted to implement a few times), keep your filthy fingers out of your nose, mouth and ears unless you just washed and wash before eating. Based on my one isolated case it seems to work quite well..most of the time.

I've gotten the flu shot regularly. I've still gotten colds, but that's a huge difference from the "wish I could die" 10 day experience of having a real case of the flu. I had the flu once when I didn't get a shot - never again.

-Felix

Anything loose will get pretty well washed off. You are also washing off dead cells and that will carry stuff as well. I think it helps and does no harm.

I travel to trade shows and customers quite a bit- I'm probably exposed to quite a bit- I think commerical airports are veritable cesspools of disease so a flu shot (and hand washing) is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone else noticed that this thread is remarkably similar to ones about flying in/around/near thunderstorms and possible icing conditions?! Some do it with seeming impunity, some don't.

Me? I got my flu shot Tuesday. No side effects whatsoever.

I haven't had a bad flu in about 4 years. I used to get them about every year when I was a kid. It was the worst thing ever--you seriously thought you were going to die. Several days where you can't sleep, walk, eat, or think. Everything is spinning and nothing makes sense.

I can't imagine what a bad flu would do to someone in poor health and I imagine it only gets worse with age...

I never had a flu shot (or the flu) until a few years ago when I started working for a company that gives free flu shots. I was reluctant at first but finally got one. After that I got them sporadically when I happened to be in the office when they were giving them. A couple years ago after I got one I got pretty bad chest cold. I don't know if it was the flu or not since I didn't go to the doctor. I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not but it turned me off from getting one last year. This year I decided to give it a try again so I got one a couple days ago. We'll see what happens.

Since my job started requiring travel to places that require me to get stuck like a pincushion, I've contemplated getting the flu shot. I get stuffed up for 3 weeks at a time, three or so times a year, usually around long transpac or transatl flights.

To be honest, this thread seals the deal. I'll get a flu shot when I go in for my yellow fever vaccine in November.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back