Income and aircraft survey

I bet very few people at the median income level ~$60k/year would be willing to make the deep sacrifices it would take to own a plane, like living in a lesser neighborhood, never eating out, driving old cars, etc. You'd have to be pretty crazy about aviation to make those kinds of choices ... but it absolutely could be done. And there are average-income and even some below-average-income pilots who do it every day.
There were only 3 out of 72 owners in the survey who made $60,000/year or less so I guess you are correct. It's rare but can be done. Of course $60,000/year can mean different things depending on where you live and the number of people who are being supported by it.

There were only 3 out of 72 owners in the survey who made $60,000/year or less so I guess you are correct. It's rare but can be done. Of course $60,000/year can mean different things depending on where you live and the number of people who are being supported by it.

Well, one might also ask whether such surveys are indeed a valid representation of the income situation of all aircraft owners?
I could imagine, that people with a high income, of which they are proud of, are more likely to participate in such surveys. One might also question the truthfulness of the numbers participants provide in surveys.

Of the plane owners I personally know here, in the wider Detroit area, I doubt that too many come even close to the median income stated in the survey. Still, though, many of them also have boats, snowmobiles and a cabin up north or in Florida. I consider this a pretty acceptable lifestyle without too many sacrifices in order to be able to afford a plane… ;)

With a 2-seat experimental aircraft, ownership can start as low as $10 - $20k, for the purchase of a plane with a 4-stroke engine, and virtually no fixed costs, if it is stored inside a trailer and if the maintenance is mostly done by the owner. I therefore think that the range of costs, related to flying, varies greatly, starting at the said 1 or 2-seat experimental, stored inside a trailer, all the way up to privately owned multi-engine jets. I also believe that many, if not most people could afford to own a plane - if they are willing to set priorities and to also adjust their expectations, regarding the aircraft, to their personal financial capabilities.

Well, one might also ask whether such surveys are indeed a valid representation of the income situation of all aircraft owners?
I could imagine, that people with a high income, of which they are proud of, are more likely to participate in such surveys. One might also question the truthfulness of the numbers participants provide in surveys.
It wasn't a scientific survey, but to my knowledge, it was anonymous so I don't know where pride or shame over one's income would have much of an effect. I didn't take it because I don't own an airplane.

Of the plane owners I personally know here, in the wider Detroit area, I doubt that too many come even close to the median income stated in the survey. Still, though, many of them also have boats, snowmobiles and a cabin up north or in Florida. I consider this a pretty acceptable lifestyle without too many sacrifices in order to be able to afford a plane… ;)
I wouldn't even want to guess at people's incomes. Their income from their job is one thing, but many people have other income such as investment or rental income.

With a 2-seat experimental aircraft, ownership can start as low as $10 - $20k, for the purchase of a plane with a 4-stroke engine, and virtually no fixed costs, if it is stored inside a trailer and if the maintenance is mostly done by the owner. I therefore think that the range of costs, related to flying, varies greatly, starting at the said 1 or 2-seat experimental, stored inside a trailer, all the way up to privately owned multi-engine jets. I also believe that many, if not most people could afford to own a plane - if they are willing to set priorities and to also adjust their expectations, regarding the aircraft, to their personal financial capabilities.
I agree that many (maybe not most) people could own an airplane like the ones you describe but they are making a personal choice not to do so. Nothing wrong with that.

I want to know how the guy that has the 200k airplane in line only has expenses of 2k? Can't even park it that cheap. Maybe its a club plane or a rental?

I want to know how the guy that has the 200k airplane in line only has expenses of 2k? Can't even park it that cheap. Maybe its a club plane or a rental?

Maybe that's what he has it listed on TAP for, but it sits tied down outside with bird **** all over it.

Anyone I've known who has had a real nice aircraft, MU2, 1000 commander, machen super star, etc. Has written it off thru a business. The remainder have had a much older, smaller aircraft, the nicer ones being in a club or partnership. It all changed about 25 years ago as so many middle class jobs went overseas. Small airports are now like ghost towns. Most aircraft just sit. Same with sailboats, especially those over thirty feet. Many are repoed in the fall.

Formerhangie buy and drive two 15k cars and there is your airplane. Kids have tons of toys? Not judging, the amount of trinkety crap toys my wife buys for the kid, makes me nuts. Adds up to real money.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, buy two really cheap new cars, or buy $15K used cars? Having traded a 12 year old car not too long ago confirmed my suspicion that there's really not that much money to be saved by driving an older car. I bought that last one in 2002 for $ 14,500, and sold it last year for $2500. Depreciation was only $1000 per year, and maintenance and repairs came to around $600 per year, and were definitely skewed towards the end of the ownership period. In the last year I had it I spent more than $1200 in maintenance and repairs, including having to replace the clutch pedal. I realized I wasn't saving any money and replaced it. That's the thing about cars, you can pay for depreciation, or you can pay for maintenance and repairs, but either way, you're going to pay for something. I did some estimates on buying new and keeping for 8 to 10 years versus buying an older car and keeping it until it started having more frequent issues, and the difference only came to less than $1000 per year. If you're hanging on by your fingernails, that's what you do, but for me it's not worth the hassle.

You got it all wrong.... I work a average job making around $19.00 per hour. I am 42 and have been working here since I was 18. I can tell you one thing, I am not a lazy ass... I am always trying to make a buck. I buy and sell pilot supplies on the side to help with my flying. Since the day I worked at my job I have worked overtime when available and try to get in 60 hours every week. Anything I buy I DO NOT fall in love with, everything is for sale at the right price. I have owned 10 airplanes to date and currently own 3. I sold the other 7 and made profits on all of them and my 3 are paid for from just wheeling and dealing. I have a wife and 12 year old son. I built a new average house in 2001. Some of my toys include my 2010 Pitts Model 12, 1940 Piper Cub, 1973 Cessna 172, 2011 Ducati 1198 Superbike, 2014 Kawasaki 310X jet ski, Baja outlaw 25 boat and some small motorcycles the family rides together. One key is to find a awesome wife. My wife does not ask for anything, she is happy having a roof over her head and food on the table. We keep our money separate. She has her money and buys what she wants and I have mine. In 14 years of marriage we have never argued about money...
I do not go on expensive vacations or sit in the bar. I fly my airplanes uninsured and have liability on everything else. I keep all 3 planes hangared for $310 a month. I do not invest a bunch of money, I figure my airplanes and toys are an investment. If I need money for a emergency I will just sell something. I do not just throw away or blow money, I always buy stuff with it that will have some value. I think different than most but I guess it works out.
The point of all this is to say you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to. You will not get airplanes sitting on the couch. You gotta hustle! I am so busy during the week I have no time to do anything working 12 hour night shifts plus buying and selling aviation stuff. I wake up, cook, spend about 30 minutes with the family and off to work.
I am off weekends and that is playtime....
Don't let anyone tell you a average working guy can't own a airplane.
A good banker is pretty awesome also.

Sounds like you have a nice side business going on there, congratulations. You say you don't have investments, do you at least have retirement savings? Having no savings would drive me crazy. It's my experience that once you have life's basics covered, there's nothing you can buy that gives you as much peace of mind as having some money to fall back on if things don't go your way.

Also, adding up how much you work, plus your side business, plus your horsetrading, I'm thinking you're already well about the median income just by yourself. You said your wife has her own money, does she work too?

No doubt that if this income needs to feed a family of three or more persons, it will be tough. The kids will however not stay at home forever and not everybody has children.

Our hangar neighbor is a car mechanic without a wife or kids. He recently bought a Sonex which required some work. I don't know what exactly he paid, he indicated however that by the time he gets it back into the air, he will have a total of less than $20k in it. This thing is an experimental and sips fuel. I guess that the $160 for the hangar are probably his biggest expense, related to the ownership of this aircraft. I would guess that he makes in our area around $40k - $45k / year. Assuming, he does not have other financial obligations, I have no doubt that he can easily afford the plane and fly a few hours with it each month. An engineer, what is also in my range of 'normal' jobs, could probably pull it off even easier.

Some smaller planes, like the Rans S-14 have folding wings and can be stored inside a trailer. There is currently one on Barnstormers for $10,500 with a HKS 4-stroke engine. While this is no race horse, it is still a plane, a proven design and it brings one eventually where he wants to go. This is as cheap as flying gets. Again, though, we are back at setting priorities... :wink2:

Certainly, this is still too much for many and / or for various reasons not practicable. Aircraft ownership can however start at a few hundred bucks per months, unless it either has to be a PC-12 or nothing. A partnership might also be an option.

I can see where a single person with an income near the media could afford a less expensive homebuilt, or even a two seat certificated airplane, especially if they live in a not too expensive area. But if you are supporting 3,4,or 5 people on that income, I can't see it.

First off, I don't want to own an airplane. I'm only using myself as an example that someone making $100,000 and supporting a family in a moderate cost of living area can't afford one. I did a little calculating, and if I cut out all vacations, my daughter's activities, all eating out, and cut car expenses to the absolute minimum, we'd still be about $3000 short on what it would cost to operate a 150 hp four seater for 100 hours a year. That doesn't include buying it or any upgrades, or fixing it if something expensive breaks. Now, let's say I did find a way to get this done. What it would involve is saying no to nearly every request my wife and daughters make. No travel, no restaurant meals, no dance classes, no trips to the water park, no boat rental, either stay home or occasionally go flying with Dad, those are your choices. And that flying would be just locally, or flying to another airport and returning. (No $100 hamburger, we've cut out all restaurant meals) Adding all this stuff up, I realize I forgot to budget for the divorce I'd be getting.

There's a reason why the median income in this survey is close to $200K, and other statistics back that up. An airplane is a luxury item, and sacrificing to own one doesn't make sense to many.

I make high five figures, wife (who Im also putting through school on my own dime mind you), 2 yo kid. Paid off cars, they're not the 30K kind though. I do undershoot housing aggressively, my rent is 12pct of my net income. I own and operate a PA28R200 outright. My family isn't starving, my wife isn't threatening to divorce me, my kid is provided for and will be groomed to attain at least an undergraduate level of college education. I cannot speak for those who make different choices, but the whole monastic bit about having to tersely tell your family NO! at every instance of discretionary expenditure just to squeeze in daddy's hobby, is pure hyperbole.

There's a reason why the median income in this survey is close to $200K, and other statistics back that up. An airplane is a luxury item, and sacrificing to own one doesn't make sense to many.
in other words, you choose not to own an airplane, it's not that you can't. That's fine but it doesn't mean that someone with a modest income can't own one if they want. our hangar neighbors in IL include an electrician, a pharmacist, and a retired schoolteacher. I'm an engineer. We're just everyday folks like most airplane owners. Many, many peoiple have expensive motorsports hobbies. Hot rods, boats, airplanes, they're all the same thing big-picture.

Sorry. It just rubs me the wrong way when people have an attitude of defeat. Don't say "the average family cannot afford an airplane" because it's simply not true. They'd just have to save longer and sacrifice more deeply to make it happen.

All of the people I've ever met who flew on meager budgets, never considered the things they were supposedly "giving up" to go flying, a loss. This is probably the number one reason people get wrapped around the axle is that they see having a different lifestyle than the neighbors as a "sacrifice".

I had plenty of high school and college aged peers who thought I was nuts holding down three jobs to go to school and fly airplanes at the same time. I never felt like it was nuts. It was just what I wanted to do.

Today, things are significantly different, but the things we learned the hard way in our twenties still hold true. If you carry no other debt, you can easily afford to fly something. It takes a while to get a taste for, or shall I say, a distaste for shiny new things like new cars, in our society's permeating and stifling advertising based culture. You learn to look at things differently.

Case in point: I noticed myself consciously thinking, "I bet that thing was frakking expensive once, but it looks like it held up well..." as I walked past a Mercedes mini-SUV in front of the Pho joint in town the other day. You see sheet metal and workmanship and whether or not it's running well, instead of caring about it being new or having a particular company name badge on it. It's just wheels to get you where you need to go, which includes the airport.

I just read tonight that the morons who run my county paid almost a million dollars a mile to pave 4 miles of dirt road. They don't seem to realize they could have simply bought every single person who uses that road on a regular basis, a beat up old pickup truck to destroy on the washboard and had plenty of money left over.

Anyway, while I ponder how four miles of dirt covered in asphalt costs $1M/mile, the point is... Nobody I've ever met who owned airplanes, boats, RVs, whatever items that bring them joy, ever thought any of the things they didn't buy to be able to acquire their bliss, was a "sacrifice".

Only people who think they like that stuff more than they like their car, house, other toys, whatever... ever call the natural changes in purchasing habits that occur when you want your favorite things, "sacrifices".

I go to the mall about three times a year. Twice for whatever crap needs doing at the Apple Store, and once to shop for Christmasy gifts for family because I love that time of year and making family members smile. I really don't miss it at all. We have friends who are at a mall or shopping center nearly every weekend and all they talk about are their "finds" at work on Monday. That's fine by me, but they can keep it.

Paying for TV, same thing. If you have a nice shooting range membership and an airplane, who needs TV? I splurge on about two or three seasons of some show per year on Apple TV and we have the online Netflix subscription and OTA HDTV.

Other than threads like this one, I don't really even think about it. It's definitely not a sacrifice to be doing what I want to be doing with my time and discretionary funds. You're never poor if you're fed and housed and doing something you enjoy.

It's pretty easy around these parts to fit flying in between what a realtor says you can afford and what sane people spend on housing.

5%, BTW (on my 1/4 share plane). DINKs, no car payments.
On the other hand, (except for the recent recession and anemic recovery), housing is usually a much better long term investment than an airplane.

But I too live in less house than I can afford and own more airplane than my financial planner thinks I should.

Wife did the same to me...... I'm looking at 2016ish to step into a 6 place with the arrival of #3 a few months ago. I think she thought I'd be like, ok I'll sell and get a suburban...... Not gonna happen. :nono:

So now she gripes about every dime I spend on my Archer if I'm just gonna sell it.
Kid number 3 makes a qualitative difference. Had to sell the Mooney and buy a Lance. Had to sell the BWM convertible and get a BMW non-convertible. Had to sell the 4 bedroom house and get a 5 bedroom house ...

Agreed. If you happen to forget and accidentally do this, definitely do not allow your spouse to learn the answer.

This reminds me of the joke about the guy that inherited millions of dollars and spent most of it on fast airplanes and faster women....... and squandered the rest.

I missed this thread while the survey was still active, but I agree that it can often be done without a 6-figure income. I did pretty well for 5 years while I lived in a no-mortgage condo in an area where property taxes are very low, with no other debt or encumbrances. It's getting harder now that I'm living in an apartment in an area where the property taxes are so high that there is NO WAY I could afford to own a house here. I'm hoping to still be able to do it by renting my old condo out. If that fails, my aircraft ownership days will probably be over.

I make high five figures, wife (who Im also putting through school on my own dime mind you), 2 yo kid. Paid off cars, they're not the 30K kind though. I do undershoot housing aggressively, my rent is 12pct of my net income. I own and operate a PA28R200 outright. My family isn't starving, my wife isn't threatening to divorce me, my kid is provided for and will be groomed to attain at least an undergraduate level of college education. I cannot speak for those who make different choices, but the whole monastic bit about having to tersely tell your family NO! at every instance of discretionary expenditure just to squeeze in daddy's hobby, is pure hyperbole.

And you know this, how?

The average American household spends around 32 percent of their income on housing. While we don't spend that much, we spend more than you do. Inferring from what you've posted here, the difference between what you're paying for housing and what I am would be more than enough to provide for an airplane. Also, inferring from what you've told me here, what you're paying for housing would rent a so-so one bedroom apartment here. Do we have a nice house? Yes, we do, and that means a lot to my wife and daughters. I also did a little more calculating, and came to the realization it would take nearly 20 percent of my take home pay to support an airplane. One fifth of the family budget spent on Dad's hobby? That's not fair to the other members of the family.

in other words, you choose not to own an airplane, it's not that you can't. That's fine but it doesn't mean that someone with a modest income can't own one if they want. our hangar neighbors in IL include an electrician, a pharmacist, and a retired schoolteacher. I'm an engineer. We're just everyday folks like most airplane owners. Many, many peoiple have expensive motorsports hobbies. Hot rods, boats, airplanes, they're all the same thing big-picture.

Like I just said, the cost of keeping even a modest airplane would be 20 percent of my take home pay, and to spend that much on myself would not be fair to my wife and daughters, at this stage of my life. In a little less than two years, our home mortgage will be paid off and at that time we'd have enough to support an airplane. I'm not going to do that, but I may very well wind up with a share of a sailplane, I'm not that interested in power flying any more. It's a neat way to travel, but we don't have much of a need to travel regionally, anyway, it scares my wife.

It's funny that you mentioned other motorsport hobbies. When I first posted on this thread, I was responding to this section of a post:

Dumping toys and dumping toy debt most people could afford a plane.
I have no toys, and to support an airplane, living where I do, would consume all of the whole family's discretionary income. In my book, that is not being able to afford something.

On the other hand, (except for the recent recession and anemic recovery), housing is usually a much better long term investment than an airplane.

But I too live in less house than I can afford and own more airplane than my financial planner thinks I should.

Neither are investments. Airplanes are expenses, just like cars. Houses aren't really investments, but they are a cost effective way of having a place to live. Seventeen years ago, we put down $71,000 on a house, and since then, we've been paying almost exactly in principal, interest, taxes, insurance, and maintenance as we would to rent a similar house. The big difference is that our $71,000 investment has grown into about $375,000 equity. In two more years, we'll have it paid in full, and we'll probably have around $420,000 in equity. After that, the house will probably just about exactly keep up with inflation, maybe get a little ahead. But, in addition to the house holding its value, we'll be able to live in it for just taxes, insurance, and maintenance. We'll be living in a nice four bedroom house, but paying for a modest one room apartment, and when I retire, we'll be able to sell it, pay cash for something smaller, and add a big chunk of change to our retirement kitty.

I missed this thread while the survey was still active, but I agree that it can often be done without a 6-figure income. I did pretty well for 5 years while I lived in a no-mortgage condo in an area where property taxes are very low, with no other debt or encumbrances. It's getting harder now that I'm living in an apartment in an area where the property taxes are so high that there is NO WAY I could afford to own a house here. I'm hoping to still be able to do it by renting my old condo out. If that fails, my aircraft ownership days will probably be over.

So much of depends on where you are in life. Back when I was single, I used to race cars, and I was spending what would be the upkeep on a light single's worth of money on it each year. As always, that was my choice. I had a decent little townhouse, drove an old Aerostar van that doubled as a tow vehicle, or rode a 10 year old motorcycle I paid cash for. Like others have said, it's no sacrifice when it's what you want, and like you said, if you're not spending much on housing and have no debt, you can spend a pretty fair proportion of you income on hobbies, especially if you are single. Married with children and a mortgage is a very different story.

I really hope your condo gets rented, I'd hate to see you lose something you love. I've never owned an airplane, but I did have access to my father's when he had it, and it was nice.

I'd like to see a poll of age vs income too. I wish I was only spending 1/3 of my income on rent a month! :(

yeah, when I was a college student I spent probably 60% of my income on housing. My airplane was a very cheap one, but it still flew.

the guy above on the one hand says he has a 100k income, on the other hand says he can't spent 20% of it on a modest airplane. He has some kind of crazy idea of "modest" if he thinks it'll cost 20k per year.

Lots of people have low-end BMW's and i wouldn't guess that's viewed as too extravagent. If you can afford to drive a bmw then you can afford to drive a honda and own an airplane.

I really hope your condo gets rented, I'd hate to see you lose something you love. I've never owned an airplane, but I did have access to my father's when he had it, and it was nice.
Thanks. Although I really like a lot of things about the area I live in now, I only moved here for work reasons and wouldn't have given up my living situation back in MI if I hadn't been forced to. And the remoteness of the area means the airplane is a convenient way to get around, including getting back home for visits or to take care of business - a 4 hour leisurely flight on a magic carpet sure beats a two-day drive, or worse, 6-8 hours of mostly waiting for connecting flights, getting patted down by TSA goons, and waiting forever for my bag at one of those awful carousels.

BTW I agree with pretty much everything you say. It's a matter of where you are in life and what encumbrances you have. It's not always a matter of frittering away money on little things - in fact I did some quick figuring, and despite the little extra expenses I have here like laundry, changing seasonal tires, higher cost of utilities, the big showstopper is rent. Even relative biggies like the flying club membership I can't find a buyer for and condo association fees wouldn't be enough to subsidize ownership for me. The only thing that would make enough of a difference is to offset my rent with equal or greater income. What makes it worse is that housing prices are going up in this part of the country, not down as they are back home. A one-bedroom apartment that went for $750 last year will go for $850 or higher this coming year. COLA increases are not nearly enough to keep up. :(

I'm 38 and spend 16 percent on my house.
I put around 15-20 percent in savings
Then i have my own savings account as does my wife where we divide anything over that monthly savings goal and use for personal wants. That gives an incentive to be cautious spenders

Based on gross:
0% spent on mortgage - I paid that off in 2004.
0% spent on car payments - I've paid cash for my cars since my house has been paid off.
<2% spent on property taxes
~3% spent on house/car/motorcycle insurance
<4% spent on food
<6% spent on cable/internet/phone/utilities
~21% on state/federal income taxes

So I've got about 64% of my gross income as disposable. And I am well, well below the average/median of this group. I'm not even six figures.

Now, before I bought my plane the figures were more like:

<2% spent on property taxes
<2% spent on house/car/motorcycle insurance (only had one car)
<4% spent on food
<4% spent on car payment
<6% spent on cable/internet/phone/utilities
~10% spent on mortgage
~21% on state/federal income taxes

I still had nearly half my income as disposable. Yeah, I could have bought a house that was twice what I paid for mine. But I didn't. First thing I did was knock out the car payment - which was relatively easy, paid off in a year. And for seven years I was making double/triple/quadruple payments on the condo and then the house. I had a 6 month safety fund and above that every last dime went to paying off the mortgage.

It's all a matter of choices. Some of us choose one way, some choose a wasteful lifestyle. The thing that cracks me up, is the wasteful lifestyle people are emphatic that it (whatever it may be) can't be done. Well not living the way they do, no. When you **** money away, of course it can't be done. Of course what I call ****ing money away - others might consider necessities.

A one-bedroom apartment that went for $750 last year will go for $850 or higher this coming year. COLA increases are not nearly enough to keep up. :(

I never paid more than $850/month for my HOUSE.

At $880/mo for rent near OKC, two bed/two bath without utilities. Recently built, in a place less likely for my car will be broken into again, without storm shelters, with washer/dryer.

At $880/mo for rent near OKC, two bed/two bath without utilities. Recently built, in a place less likely for my car will be broken into again, without storm shelters, with washer/dryer.

You realize a $100,000 mortgage at 3.75% over 30 years is only $463.12/month, right?

I did not. I don't know much about dealing with mortgages and houses and loans, honestly. Is there a KSP equivalent you can recommend? :lol: :(

VT is tough without a trust fund. Don't let their dirty clothes and ratty Subaru's fool you they designed it that way. Come here with your own bucket of money, leave before it is all gone.
Thanks. Although I really like a lot of things about the area I live in now, I only moved here for work reasons and wouldn't have given up my living situation back in MI if I hadn't been forced to. And the remoteness of the area means the airplane is a convenient way to get around, including getting back home for visits or to take care of business - a 4 hour leisurely flight on a magic carpet sure beats a two-day drive, or worse, 6-8 hours of mostly waiting for connecting flights, getting patted down by TSA goons, and waiting forever for my bag at one of those awful carousels.

BTW I agree with pretty much everything you say. It's a matter of where you are in life and what encumbrances you have. It's not always a matter of frittering away money on little things - in fact I did some quick figuring, and despite the little extra expenses I have here like laundry, changing seasonal tires, higher cost of utilities, the big showstopper is rent. Even relative biggies like the flying club membership I can't find a buyer for and condo association fees wouldn't be enough to subsidize ownership for me. The only thing that would make enough of a difference is to offset my rent with equal or greater income. What makes it worse is that housing prices are going up in this part of the country, not down as they are back home. A one-bedroom apartment that went for $750 last year will go for $850 or higher this coming year. COLA increases are not nearly enough to keep up. :(

<SNIP>
the guy above on the one hand says he has a 100k income, on the other hand says he can't spent 20% of it on a modest airplane. He has some kind of crazy idea of "modest" if he thinks it'll cost 20k per year.

I said take home pay, not gross. I also said earlier in the thread that my take home pay was almost a third less than what I gross.

In case you were wondering how I came with that figure, here's the details. I was thinking of a late 70's Skyhawk or Warrior, it looks like you can find a decent one in the $30,000 range. The airports within an hour of me are, in order of closest to farthest, McCollum. Charlie Brown. Peachtree Dekalb, Cherokee County, and Northwest Paulding. I did a little poking around the internet to find hangar costs, I found one T hangar offered at NW Paulding at $395 per month, and shared hangar space at McCollum starting at $500. Just to keep things reasonable, let's say $400 per month, or $4800 per year. I suppose you could leave the plane outside, but long term, the sun is going to wreck your paint and interior, and since we have thunderstorms around here, it's going to get hailed on about once every 5-7 years. I also guesstimated $3000 for an annual, oil changes, and other miscellaneous maintenance. I'm also guesstimating $2000 per year for insurance. That gets us to $9800 before we get in the air. At that outlying airport fuel is about $5 per gallon, I'm planning on 100 hours at 8 gph, that's $4000, and add maybe $60 for oil added as well. Add a $10 per hour reserve for the engine and prop, and we're at $14,860. Earlier in this thread, German guy came up with the figure of $8920 per year, with a very inexpensive hangar, running on mogas at $4 per gallon, and 80 hours instead of 100. Both our totals do not include any upgrades to radios, interiors or paint, and they don't included anything for the purchase of the airplane either.

Is that maybe a little high? Maybe a few things are, but we've left a number of things out. If I were trying to cut this back a little, getting rid of the hangar is the obvious one, and it would be a savings, but when you include the need to repaint, possible damage, and higher insurance, I'm thinking you'd not save more than $2500 per year. Oh, if I wanted to fly out of McCollum, add another $1200 per year for a hangar and $1600 for more expensive avgas.

<SNIP>
Lots of people have low-end BMW's and i wouldn't guess that's viewed as too extravagent. If you can afford to drive a bmw then you can afford to drive a honda and own an airplane.

I looked up the price of a BMW lease. They are offering a "nicely equipped" 328i for what comes up to about $5000 per year, plus tax. The promotional lease Honda has on the Accord is about $2700 per year plus tax, but that's on the base model, so at most the difference about $2300 per year. If you bought that Accord and kept it for at least 8 years, you could probably get the cost down into the low $2000s. I'm not thinking you're going to own anything with an N number for less than $3000 per year. It would get you a hang glider or paraglider with money to spare. Maybe a powered ultralight would fit in that budget as well.

there you go. You're defaulting to new cars. I'd bet you have a lot of other wasteful spending you can go after and never notice the difference. I've never had a new car and never will, I'd rather have an airplane.

If you don't want an aiplane that's fine, but hiding behind a smokescreen of financial constraints isn't fooling anyone but yourself.

there you go. You're defaulting to new cars. I'd bet you have a lot of other wasteful spending you can go after and never notice the difference. I've never had a new car and never will, I'd rather have an airplane.

If you don't want an aiplane that's fine, but hiding behind a smokescreen of financial constraints isn't fooling anyone but yourself.

Sorry, you're wrong. Could we trim a few things out of the budget? Sure. $14,000 worth? That's pretty much everything discretionary.

We do buy new cars, but we keep them a long time. The biggest determinant in how much you spend on a car is its original purchase price when it was new. If you buy it well used, you can save around $700 -$1000 per year on the average, generally. If you're unlucky, you won't save anything. BTW, this applies to mainstream cars, if you're buying a prestige car, the difference is greater. Since you're a used car fan, I looked up the difference in depreciation for five and ten year old BMW 3 series and Honda Accords. The difference in five year depreciation is $2000. $400 per year won't even get you a hang glider.

This idea that all someone has to do is trim their spending a little here and there, and they'll be able to afford to own an airplane is just not true. There's a reason that the median income of the airplane owners in this survey is closer to $200,000 than it is to $100,000.

Last edited:
Dude you are living a female centric life in the suburbs and that is why you can't have an airplane. If you tripled your salary you still couldn't afford a plane. Women excel at scaling expenses.

Dude you are living a female centric life in the suburbs and that is why you can't have an airplane. If you tripled your salary you still couldn't afford a plane. Women excel at scaling expenses.

I hear you, man. Some women like clothes, some like travel, mine likes houses.

I hear you, man. Some women like clothes, some like travel, mine likes houses.
There you go. Everyone has an expensive hobby. Yours is a fancy house. We have a modest house that we were able to pay off quickly. We decided early on that we didnt want to be a slave to a mcmansion and debt. Our hobby is travel. Airplanes are a tool that facilitates that hobby. If you make anywhere close to 6 figures and dont have a lot of discretionary income, then that is by choice in some manner, its just a matter of figuring which choice.

It's good that everyone is allowed to spend his / her money to their liking... :D:yikes:;)

You realize a $100,000 mortgage at 3.75% over 30 years is only $463.12/month, right?
And $463.12 a month over 30 years is $166,723.20, or $66,723.20 down the toilet. Unless you are confident of making more on that $100,000 over the same time frame by investing it (which I would consider an insane level of confidence), better to just spend the $100,000 toward the house now.

Even if you go with the mortgage, at that rate property taxes can easily push you over $1000/month total housing costs anyway. It all depends on where you live.

VT is tough without a trust fund. Don't let their dirty clothes and ratty Subaru's fool you they designed it that way. Come here with your own bucket of money, leave before it is all gone.
That is, indeed, my plan. The question is whether I'll have to get rid of the plane to accomplish it. :(

I never paid more than $850/month for my HOUSE.

This is the exception
I bet the average house payment on here is 3-4 times that.

Greg calls it female lifestyle or whatever but Location, schools, etc play into this as well. There are a lot of things I want that I don't need with regard to my house but that is the same as a plane. I just need to be able to attain both.

There are no $850 / month houses in this area.

The flip side is when my kids move out, I will likely be able to sell my house for a half million future dollars and move into a smalller one free and clear and use the cash to help them through school if needed or towards retirement.

The only thing I think I am ****ing away is the interest which I choose not to think about. :no:

If I were single or childless, I would be in a much different location (probably downtown) and do exactly what you and Greg describe.

I didn't answer because my situation is atypical. My point was "if you have to ask, you can't afford" is not the way most aircraft owners (at least in the world I work in) operate.

If they don't, one of two things happen:

1) They sell the plane rather quickly. (dream exceeded budget)
2) It sits and rots.

Back